Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 91011121314 LastLast

mustang gt owned

This is a discussion on mustang gt owned within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD Bah. I've done the blown thing (88 5.0 Coupe - 460 RWHP on 8 PSI turbo ...

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Bah. I've done the blown thing (88 5.0 Coupe - 460 RWHP on 8 PSI turbo w/ported stock heads, intake, exhaust - and a rather mild 545 RWHP KB 04 Cobra). They were nice, but I'm sticking with N/A from now on. Besides, iffin I was to talk up the LS1, it is more impressive in N/A form than blown anyway, IMHO.

I have to agree with you 100%. I love power adders (run one myself), but highly potent n/a motors is what really tickles my fancy. Unfortunately, to run with the Big Dog's of today power adders a virtually a must.

As for your old turbo fox, I knew a guy out of Rio Linda, CA that had a '91 LX notch that made 457 rear-wheel with a single turbo on 7#, 75mm TB, Pro-M 77 MAF meter, injectors (of-course), full exhaust and tune. We ended up finding up out threw one of his buddies that he had a ported-stock intake as well as ported E7TE's the whole time.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    4.6 Dual-cam. We all remember how pathetic their pushrod motor was

5psi?? Not sure. I honestly have never ran across anyone that has boosted that low on an LS motor. However, my buddy Mike's '01 Formy made over 460 rear-wheel on8-psi with nothing but a Hooker Cat-back and tune (not even shorties, he he). http://www.forcefedperformance.com/c...ide.asp?key=21

I'd be willing to bet you could get a little over 400-rear-wheel with 5-psi
    i just took that from the procharger site.. had seen it a while back ago.. they claimed that.. not me..

as for the mustangt thing. that was going to be my EXACT response.. we have one.. they need two..

PS....a 5.7L F-body just BARELY gets by a 4.6L Mach 1. It took GM an extra 1.1Ls to do that.

Blasphemy!

And just as silly as the blower arguement above.
    ive never had a mach one hang with me from a roll... a few were within 2-3 lengths to about 80... but after that.... 5.7 is going to pull a 4.6..

Ok. How much is it? Your original post was....

"more than 400rwhp"....ok. How much? 500? 450? 401? Got any evidence to share with us?

I have a friend that only made 395rwhp on 5 psi. You don't have to believe me.

Uh, what?

Anyway, its a silly arguement. One could also argue "it took GM 5.7Ls to out perform a 4.6". Silly arguement, but no less applicable than yours.

Wow. Proof positive that you can make an older car faster than a newer car for not a lot of money. Who'd of thunk it?

Putting 15 lbs of boost through a stock block LS1 is going to make stock block LS1 go boom. However, pull the motor, buy forged pistons, forged crank, forged rods, get the machine work done, etc, etc, etc, and you can absolutely have a VERY powerful LS1. And when its all said and done, there's a good chance those extra cubes are going to win the day.

On the other hand, start with a combination that already has all that stuff, and you might have the recipe for a pretty powerful, pretty fast car too.

Speaking of common sense....do you know what that boost number (5 psi, 10 psi, 15 psi, etc) really means?

Congratulations. I'm pretty sure you're pretty sure, too.
    how much was what?

again.. this is from the procharger site.. i only have one friend that is boosted.. like i said.. turboed.. H/C and nitrous.. all the other ones are either H/C and nitrous or 408 and stroker motors..

you argueing with me at all is pointless.. your being close minded.. the 4.6 is a good engine.. more technology than the outdated ls1 has.. but most will agree the ls1 is the more superior engine.. yes the cobras are strong.. and will outrun us stock.. but it took them a lot to get there. and yes they can mod VERY easily.. but i wasnt really talking modded.. if you want to talk modded.. you can add the same power adder as the cobra.. and have more hp for less money..

like i said he is forged complete built trans and rear.. hes on here if you would like to speak with him of his setup.. so you know im not fibbing....

wow.. your just being a jackass now dude.. i never called anyone out or anything.. i was just posting my opinion.. just like you and everyone else.. just because you dont agree with me doesnt mean you must be an ass...

ok i take that statement back.. im not pretty sure... i know. for a fact.

again.. i never called anyone out... and there is really no arguement here. i was posting my opinion.. thats it dude.. calm down just a little bit.. its all good man!

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so only selective quotes this time.

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    i promise you 5 psi is more than 400rwhp on a stock ls1.. i have a friend that did this.. doesnt matter if you believe me or not.. its true..
    Is this an opinion or is it fact? You just said you're posting "opinions", but that sure sounds like you were trying to post a "fact".

How about this one:

on second note.. i have a friend who bought a 98 TA for 7300.. forged the engine rear mount turboed H/C built rear and built trans.. this all added up to just under 20 grand... he dynoed 570 rwhp on 6 psi.. A4... i think that would be able to handle a cobra....
    Opinion or fact? Sounds like a good idea for a game show... "Opinion - or Fact!"

As has been pointed out, the Procharger site uses flywheel HP, not RWHP. Simply put, you either read it wrong, don't understand the difference, or figured nobody would bother to check.

Mach 1....have you ever even raced one? I'm doubting it, but we'll likely just have to take your word for it (or not). All things being equal, the advantage is with the LS1 F-body. But it is close. No doubt closer than you would like to admit.

you argueing with me at all is pointless.. your being close minded..
    As for being
    you argueing with me at all is pointless.. your being close minded..
    close-minded huh? Ok. Lets look at my statement from a few posts back (in this thread) where I said....

First, I'm a big fan of the LS1 (the engine). IMHO, the LSx series is the best mass-produced engine out there - bar none.
    Just so we're clear....I'm closed-minded because I believe the LSx series is the best mass-produced engine out there. Correct?

Gotcha.

Uh...apologies for the assness.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

so are you saying a 4.6l was not a mass produced motor?

what are you driving btw?

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

does anyone other than me have a feeling that the only reason the 03-04 cobra was made was because ford knew that the f-body's were done with, and it was ford's last ditch effort to make a more powerful car with no retaliation of an f-body?

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I guess Bob pretty much covered the responses I would've made. I'm thinking it would take between 10 and 12 psi to make 500 rwhp through an otherwise stock LS1 with a supercharger. With a turbocharger, you *might* be able to do it at 9 psi.

560 at the crank with a rule-of-thumb estimate of 15% drivetrain loss works out to 476 rwhp.

Lemons12, no offense brother, I'm really not trying to upset you here. However, I think you're a little out of your league with regard to your comparisons of forced induction applications. Maybe I misunderstood you there, but that is unrealistic. The LS1 was not engineered to be run with a supercharger. In my opinion, if you want to compete with the cobras, you'd be better off installing nitrous. It would be a lot simpler and less labor intensive. The internals and compression are wrong for a boosted application. So that would mean you'd have to take apart the shortblock if you want to run a supercharger or turbo and take full advantage of it. The internals in the Cobras are basically already aftermarket forged internals. The compression is also just about right at 8.5:1 for a car running on pump gas. That compression actually gives the Cobra a lot of leeway for increasing boost on pump gas without reaching the detonation threshold.

I don't pretend to be the end-all of knowledge on forced induction applications, but I've built two turbocharged mustangs now, and I've spent hundreds of hours researching the subject. So please stop arguing about it.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    does anyone other than me have a feeling that the only reason the 03-04 cobra was made was because ford knew that the f-body's were done with, and it was ford's last ditch effort to make a more powerful car with no retaliation of an f-body?
    I felt like they did that not because of the F-body but for two other reasons. They wanted to stay way ahead of the STI and EVO segment, and they wanted to offer a production car at a lower price that would have performance that was competitive with the Corvette for less money.

Chris

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    so are you saying a 4.6l was not a mass produced motor?

what are you driving btw?
    He's a very intelligent person so no, he's saying that he believes that the LS1 is the better engine, hence the "bar-none." I would also venture a guess that by "ls1" he's referring to the entire family of LS engines.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

wow...i've started a riot... interesting to read however.. I'm 25, this is my first new car. Every other car i've ever bought was a GM/pontiac (96 grand prix, 99 GP, 02 ws6). So i am not saying that GM/pontiac/fbody/ls1 sucks or is inferior to Ford or their 4.6. i'm saying that for someone that has lost the patience to deal with a car that was mistreated previously and is now out of warranty and also doesn't want to take a chance of starting this expensive cycle again with a pre-owned out-of-warranty car; the mustang is not as bad as i've imagined. Also, there are other people like me i'm sure that don't give a diddly damn which one erks out the most HP for the buck!!! Because those of you who are most likely are in your early 20's/younger OR have your f-bod/ford/whatever as a 2nd car. As said, i have that same 'car bug'. I love that WS.6 and it took a lot of time for me to finally part with it. Lots of people gave me lots of hell for holding on to it as long as i did. Reality is: Car loving College student fixing to start a career needs a Reliable fun car, not simply the fastest car he can find produced in the last 10 years. Money isn't as much the issue as having your only transportation in the shop all the damn time and needing a ride everywhere!!! So, is the mustang > fod...NO!..and vice versa...i can see now how the mustang is a better value to some, including me, even if less raw performance. So, when i have a lifestyle that affords me a 'sensible' DD PLUS a toy; the f-bod would win hands down. But, for someone 'in the market for (thanks asshole...)' a powerful, fun car that i can enjoy driving AND rely on day to day -- Ford won. What GM product available TODAY would all of you giving me hell recommend for around $30G??? New or within a year as so there is plenty of warranty remaining? (drove 2 GTOs but warranty issue was the deal breaker) Maybe GM will redeem themselves with the new camaro, but who knows? New CAFE requirements and all may see the camaro get slouchy quick. As for the 'bells and whistles' i mentioned--just saying they compensate for the 30-40 HP i may have lost in a DD. Low 1st and 2nd make it quick on the road though, and i feel plenty powerful. If i bought as a toy to race you all would have valid points, but as it stands; you need to realize raw power is not the only variable in the decision. You don't have to have the most powerful car you can find to 'feel pretty'. Get some self-esteem boosting books or something for that... Thanks to those of you who understand what i'm trying to say here!!! To the rest of you: Before speaking, take a minute to understand that your parameters and needs when buying your car may be different from someone else's; and that that DOES mean that a car that isn't right for you IS right for someone else and also that as a 'car guy/gal' you can appreciate more that one type or make of auto. I appreciate them both and will miss my T/A...hell i wanted one as far back as i can remember-literally--and can't imagine living my life without owning one again. But the ford is impressing me with its build quality and road performance--feel i made a good decision. I realize this is an lsx/GM forum but posted here thinking ya'll would appreciate why some choose mustang. Lots of cool, knowlegeable folks here and would like to keep shootin' the shit, learning, and getting help on here regardless of which car i chose to drive for now. don't have to go buy one yourself, but at least don't be an ass an fail to see why it is a good choice for someone else even if they are into cars. I never imagined i would buy a mustang, but i've always been able to appreciate a nice one and respect their owners...

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

wow there is too many posts to read and catch up on.
    Bottom line is both the mustangs and camaros have their ups and downs. IMHO they are the best cars out their on the streets. I dont care too much for exotics dont care what no one else says. (note that im talking about newer muscle cars) Both cars should be respected for the most parts. Both cars need to put money in different parts. Its still V8 RWD muscle cars.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Bottom line is both the mustangs and camaros have their ups and downs. IMHO they are the best cars out their on the streets. I dont care too much for exotics dont care what no one else says. (note that im talking about newer muscle cars) Both cars should be respected for the most parts. Both cars need to put money in different parts. Its still V8 RWD muscle cars.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I think we're on the same page... cheers!

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    . The LS1 was not engineered to be run with a supercharger. In my opinion, if you want to compete with the cobras, you'd be better off installing nitrous.
    No offense, but what the hell are you talking about? Have you seen what blown LS1's are capable of??? Guess not. To say that they are not engineered to be ran with a supercharger makes absolutely no sense. Guys have been converting factory high-compression motors to blower-compatible forged bottom ends for years. The fact that it doesn't come from the factory with a built setup means nothing to someone who has the funds. And to build an LS1/Nitrous setup good enough to compete with 700+rwhp turbo termy's will force you to prep your bottom end anyways

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

02ws6dream, how about the 2007 trailblazer ss 390hp 6.0l $31,000. or a 2007 impala ss 303hp 5.3l $28,000. these are two that come to mind if i were in the market for a daily driver, they have the best of both worlds, performance and luxury in an affordable price range. imo

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

By "engineered", I believe Chris was talking about how they actually came off the line...ie...cast pistons/rods, high (relatively) compression, aluminum blocks, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't put ANY kind of power adder on a motor not built for it, though with a higher compression motor, I'd do Nitrous before a blower or turbo (cooler intake charge, thus less chance of detonation).

10's N/A

By "engineered", I believe Chris was talking about how they actually came off the line...ie...cast pistons/rods, high (relatively) compression, aluminum blocks, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't put ANY kind of power adder on a motor not built for it, though with a higher compression motor, I'd do Nitrous before a blower or turbo (cooler intake charge, thus less chance of detonation).
    hence...build the motor...

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

I love how everytime a Mustang GT gets beat-- it turns into a 100+ post thread.. Which is weird because stock vs stock they should ALWAYS lose. That is alot of mustang defending.

Well if I put on my superman cape and find a phone booth you can't win...

Oh yeah,, well My dad can beat up your dad.

Not if my dad has a Cobra---

Can you dad's cobra beat this...

www.some_link_of_a_guy_with_a_turboed_LS1.com

These threads are annoying...

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    Liquid Red

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    ...These threads are annoying...
    Which is why you put in your two cents, no doubt.

10's N/A

Just an example of a motor "not intended for boost", built for boost.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Didn't bother watching. I know what they are capable of.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 91011121314 LastLast

Thread Information