Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Mustang goes down but with a FIGHT!

So I'm cruising down the highway (divided 65mph) when I see the tail lights coming up of a Fox Body. I say what the hell lets see if we can play I get next to him and drop it in 3rd at 75mph my sweet spot. He decides to play and downshifts to. We go and we go hard We both nail it around the same time and he stays with me for about 3 seconds in 3rd At the top of 3rd I put a car on him, by mid 4th I have about 3 cars and pulling. I wave to him after we shut down, he honks and we go our seperate ways. I was shocked as hell that he hung as good as he did.

Mods in sig, mustang unknown. If he ran into a stock F-body or mild bolt ons, BYE BYE LS1 That fucker had to be modded to all hell, not a stock LS1 touching it. Sounded great too. I would say early 90's or so He had a passenger, I didn't also.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Asking Zinergy and everyone that is neutral to the LS1.....what would keep up to my mod/LS1?? I was thinking a 5.0 with NOS or a 351 C or W I will admit his car sounded better then mine........"BUT".....I hate the way my car sounds

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Nice kill.

He probably had an LS1 swap.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Fox-body Mustangs were made from 79-92, though the quickest and most common are the 87-92 variety. Stock to stock, they are no match for an LS1 F-body. But the aftermarket for them is unmatched, so its the old Forrest Gump "box of chocolates" thing when you run one - you just never know what you're going to get. There's simply no way to know what he might have had under the hood without talking to him. Bottle....blower....stroker....who knows.

Most do better from a dig or very slow speed vice highway runs.

EDIT: And yes, LS1 swaps are out there (though not real common)...combining the best of both worlds - great powerplant with a lightweight chassis.
    Last edited by BLKCLOUD; 05-16-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

good kill, I had the same thing happen to me. My friend told me they only weigh about 3000 pounds, and like BLKCLOUD said they are best from a dig because of their weight.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

It's not hard to get them down to 3000 lbs WITH DRIVER. More serious racers get them under 2800 lbs, with driver, and the very serious (track only) cars can be lighter than that.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Ah yes, the old "LS1 into Fox body" swap. Friend of mind has one (1990) with a 76mm turbo in it. Track booted him when he did a glory run at the end of the night: 9.43 @ 144 mph

Mind you, it's got a cage, is teched for 10 second runs and still needs a proper tune. That night was the 1st time with it at the track. Most runs were shakedown runs sorting out the suspension settings. Oh, and it's still got a license plate on it so it's "street legal"

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I wanted to talk to him but he took a different exit. It was my first race of the year and first after the H/C

1999 Z28 A4

Nice kill

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Nice kill sir, the only thing i can add is from a roll and the race at those speeds is he had more than a h/c 5.0. Either stroker, h/c/spray or FI.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-17-2010 at 06:40 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

most likely at least a stroker .. imho

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

I took out a brand new v6 stang the other week. Pulled up to him on the highway and he tried to run away from me. As soon as I floored it and he heard my car roar the smile just melted off his face and I could see the look of wtf is that in his face. He tried to do a flyby but I wasn't having it. I think I made him hate his car.
    2002 z28-slp cai, slp loudmouth, slp tuned headers, slp 85 mm MAF, slp high flow cats, 3" y-pipe and collectors
    331.6 rwhp/356.9 rwtq

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Nice kill sir, the only thing i can add is from a roll and the race at those speeds is he had more than a h/c 5.0. Either stroker, h/c/spray or FI.
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    most likely at least a stroker .. imho
    I was thinking stroker or spray. Spray would make explain why he hung so good for so long. I didn't get him in 3rd til high up there.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

OP: Nice kill, sounds like you had a serious Fox to play with there

I took out a brand new v6 stang the other week. Pulled up to him on the highway and he tried to run away from me. As soon as I floored it and he heard my car roar the smile just melted off his face and I could see the look of wtf is that in his face. He tried to do a flyby but I wasn't having it. I think I made him hate his car.
    Love it

black
    1993 mustang

sounds like he had a built manual valve body auto. He hung with u in 3rd gear. some built aods have the option for full throttle overdrive shift, he definitely didn't have that. good run!!

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Asking Zinergy and everyone that is neutral to the LS1.....what would keep up to my mod/LS1?? I was thinking a 5.0 with NOS or a 351 C or W I will admit his car sounded better then mine........"BUT".....I hate the way my car sounds
    Did you hear the whining of a supercharger. If not he had to have Nitrous. I had a friend who had the two tone silver one. It was procharged and that thing was sick. He would still spin his tires when he went to third gear.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    Did you hear the whining of a supercharger. If not he had to have Nitrous. I had a friend who had the two tone silver one. It was procharged and that thing was sick. He would still spin his tires when he went to third gear.
    A 347-351 stroker can put out simular numbers to a ls1 but in a lighter car. Just ran into a guy at the bank 10 minutes ago who was driving a 96 cobra with a kenny bell on it. Showed me a slip that said 11.3@ 131mph, then he asked if i wanted to roll race the 600rr against his cobra but i didnt have a helmet with me.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I was thinking stroker or spray. Spray would make explain why he hung so good for so long. I didn't get him in 3rd til high up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    A 347-351 stroker can put out simular numbers to a ls1 but in a lighter car. Just ran into a guy at the bank 10 minutes ago who was driving a 96 cobra with a kenny bell on it. Showed me a slip that said 11.3@ 131mph, then he asked if i wanted to roll race the 600rr against his cobra but i didnt have a helmet with me.
    the reason why i think it had a stroker is that the 5.0 is a older engine..and most have higher mileage and engine work done on them...so it is usually logical that if they were going to refresh the engine they would stroke it too.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the reason why i think it had a stroker is that the 5.0 is a older engine..and most have higher mileage and engine work done on them...so it is usually logical that if they were going to refresh the engine they would stroke it too.
    True it would make sense but i know a couple of guys who just rebuilt/upgraded the stock bottom end bored to a 306 and used the orig crank and then added FI. A 5.0 with FI can still put out some serious power, my buddy is trapping 129mph on 9.5psi with 2.4-god knows how bad 60fts lol.

Thread Information