Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Cool MK 3 Supra vs. 4th Gen Camaro

Ok, heres the deal. My buddy has a MK 3 Supra that he spent around 15k on and its modded to shit. Originally it was a drift car, but he's trying to set up for a 1/4 crusher. I raced him the day after he got it, and put no less then 6 (he claims 3) cars on him from a 20-30 roll on the highway (he wouldnt run me from a dig) and then I gave him a 5-6 car headstart and walked him. He has since upgraded the turbo, got a "tune" (tweakinf his a/f constantly) and rebuilt the top of the engine. I know he ran a 99 Mungstain that is a documented 272 at the wheel, and they agreed he had him (the stain, er stang) by three. I have a longtubes, slp air box, free mods to breathe, no cats, short throw m6. Im pretty sure Ive got him beat, but other guys in our group are sayin he might take me. If it's a drivers race Ive got him all day, and he still wont go from a dig (claims he cant get his tires to hook) but Im gonna walk him into a 20-30 roll then a 60 roll, and see what he's got. Am I gonna loose my lunchmoney?
    FOR SALE 2000 Z28 M6
    It's pretty much Raw Awesome

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Ok, well the race is tomorrow night. I'll have video of it.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Sounds like you will win, I have an MKIII Supra, it has the no engine mod now , it's lighter than sh!t . But seriously, without MAJOR engine work, they are powerless...not to mention, if he does have the 'power' he says he does, he better have had that 2-piece driveshaft replaced....been there done that, 300rwhp, snap crackle pop...and that was with the stock turbo punched to 12lb....probably at its limit, and the reason why it's in current situation...I beat the hell out of that car, it could only take so much.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Thumbs down Oh shit.....

Allright, so I did the race. And spun a rod bearing. It's my own damn fault, I shoudl have done the drill mod. Clutch locked up at 5800 rpms, and I redlined it a little too long. I have video, but no clue how to post it. I pulled hard from a 50 roll until I was due to hit fourth, my clutch locked, I missed the shift, and got SMOKED! It also turns out the MK3 was probably puttin 400 to the ground with 18 psi and a mild tune. By all rights he should have me even if I didnt miss the shift, but I did pull on him until I had clutch failure. Now I will either rebuild my engine, or get a new ls6 for 3400$. Decisions decisions....... But I will be back on the road next year.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Yikes....now that's a tough death to swallow -- lost the race AND a motor!

If he was at 18 lbs, we can now certainly understand why he wasn't willing to go from a dig! That car should be NASTY from a roll.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by buswwa View Post
    Allright, so I did the race. And spun a rod bearing. It's my own damn fault, I shoudl have done the drill mod. Clutch locked up at 5800 rpms, and I redlined it a little too long. I have video, but no clue how to post it. I pulled hard from a 50 roll until I was due to hit fourth, my clutch locked, I missed the shift, and got SMOKED! It also turns out the MK3 was probably puttin 400 to the ground with 18 psi and a mild tune. By all rights he should have me even if I didnt miss the shift, but I did pull on him until I had clutch failure. Now I will either rebuild my engine, or get a new ls6 for 3400$. Decisions decisions....... But I will be back on the road next year.
    I havent done the drill mod but I havent had my clutch stick...

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Lament with me.

Ok, so if you wanna hear a perfect reason to drill the drill mod, here is the video link to the race. pay close attention at the 6.50 area and you'll hear how it sounds to smoke a rod bearing. Enjoy the race.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

ya from a dig the supra would def need a 2 step.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

ouch......id cry......i think its time for a 402

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Yeah, I was thinking more something like this......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...=p4506.c0.m245

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

ya that def would be a nice start. But just think you can stroke yours and have alot more power than just 400 for the 6,000$ price tag on that motor, Plus yoursa would be Brand spanking new. 0 miles on it.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

check out brp hot rods they specialize in ls1 pullouts they told me they could get a low mile 2002 ls1 and t56 with all accesories and harness,ecm for about 4,000 to $5,000

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    ya that def would be a nice start. But just think you can stroke yours and have alot more power than just 400 for the 6,000$ price tag on that motor, Plus yoursa would be Brand spanking new. 0 miles on it.
    thats right
    lq9block with l92 heads stroked to a 408 is probably the cheapest way to go and you can make big power

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Have you lost all oil pressure? I think you're jumping the gun. You're probably in for a rebuild if it really is a rod bearing, but you might as well pull the oil pan and check tolerances.

You can help to identify which cylinder's rod bearing is the culprit by pulling the plugs one at a time until the knocking stops. If you check the tolerance and it works out alright, you'll get away for the cost of a new bearing instead of a full rebuild.

Just a thought,

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 08-25-2008 at 04:08 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

I ws actually surprised to see that I hadnt lost any oil pressure at all. Again, I'm not 100% certain of [I]what[I] I actually broke. I just know its broken, and this is the perfect excuse to either do a complete rebuild, or just buy a new used ls6. Do you really rebuild a 172k engine? This is what Im unsure of.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

I think that you are right. If you have the cash do it up right. A good LS1 shop will be able to do a stock rebuild on the bottom end for $1800.00. Any extras that you want to add to the mix is then added on to that.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Pretty fast supra there.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Missed the mileage on the engine. In that case, don't waste your time with just replacing the bearing.

If you want to rebuild the engine, you can come out cheaper than buying a new one, but how much you spend depends on how much machine work needs to be done. That's where checking the tolerances comes in. $1800 is on the very very cheap side of a rebuild. In fact, I have a hard time believing you'd be able to do a full rebuild for that price without doing all but the machine work yourself, especially if you need to replace internal components like pistons, rods, crank, oil pump, timing chain, etc...

Anyway, good luck with the build. I don't think getting 170k out of an LS1 is bad at all. Sounds like it served you pretty well to last that long.

Chris

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Especially with how hard I flogged it typically. If I had been nicer to it, I would have no problem believing 250-300k out of it.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Pretty fast supra there.
    YEAH IT WAS!!!

Thread Information