Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me Vs Wrx

American Muscle

Blue
    2001 Formula

Me Vs Wrx

my buddy has a 03 wrx with these mods up pipe,downpipe,full catback,no cats,boost controller,intake, racing suspension, blowoff valve, a close ratio rebuilt trans, and probably more i forgot

he saw me outside of my house and wanted me to go out to the highway to race him. So like an idiot i drop what i'm doing to go race him when we get there we first start from a 45 mph roll i let him hit it first he stayed ahead till about 65 when i pulled on him very hard till about 100 i'd say 3 cars. the next 2 races same result it took me till about 65 to pull on him good. i also beat him a few months ago in my 94 before he had the boost controller and close ratio trans. some people never learn

Drive it like u stole it! newguy WS6's Avatar

Black
    06' GTO

Those cars are quick.. I have to give it to them.. Good kill!

When your racing one of those it kinda feels weird..because you're thinking "Hmmm 4 Cyl.. turbo big exhaust,, uhh yeah thsi will be easy" then you hit it and your like damn.. I thought I would just blow by them

Steve

red
    1999 Trans am

Sound like somthing I might be doing here soon. I hope
    Red 99 Trans am A4. STS Turbo, K&N, Thomas Racing chip, Tail waste gate, Slp mass airflow sensor,and TB bypass. Soon to be running 12.4

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

I wish someone made a stock v8 with turbo and all wheel drive from the factory. All stock 4 bangers that have stock turbo are fast until about 65mph. After that any LS1 will take it on the streets. Cams are the only mod that helps us uptop besides a bigger turbo.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by EVO8 driver View Post
    I wish someone made a stock v8 with turbo and all wheel drive from the factory. All stock 4 bangers that have stock turbo are fast until about 65mph. After that any LS1 will take it on the streets. Cams are the only mod that helps us uptop besides a bigger turbo.
    You're missing the point. You don't need a turbocharger when you have a V8, as they make plenty of power N/A. The only reason the STi/EVo have turbos is because their little 4 bangers can't make any real power without forced induction, and they still run out of breath up toip and lack any real low end torque. And of course along with an F/I turbo setup comes turbo lag, boost spikes, tuning issues, EGT problems, ect.

I'll take an N/A V8 any day over a 4 banger, thanks very much.

red
    1999 Trans am

I'd like a 4 banger as a daily driver. I was thinking of geting an 4 door integra so that me and my buddys could ride together. We don't exacly fit in my ls1. Besides I like to save some miles. And gas.
    Sorry this probably sounds like blastphomy.lol

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    You're missing the point. You don't need a turbocharger when you have a V8, as they make plenty of power N/A. The only reason the STi/EVo have turbos is because their little 4 bangers can't make any real power without forced induction, and they still run out of breath up toip and lack any real low end torque. And of course along with an F/I turbo setup comes turbo lag, boost spikes, tuning issues, EGT problems, ect.

I'll take an N/A V8 any day over a 4 banger, thanks very much.
    I think you misunderstood me. Sure a NA V8 makes power. But it would make more with a turbo and get off the line faster with AWD. Stock turbos on our 4bangers dont have any of those problems your talking about. You get those problems once you go with a big aftermarket turbo. I have a stock turbo with aftermarket lighter internals. The average stock evo hits full boost 16psi around 3100rpm. I get full 22psi at 2800rpm thru 7krpm.

red
    1999 Trans am

V8=fast car
    V8+turbo=Really fast car
    V8+turbo+AWD= SUPER CAR

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

v8+turbo+awd=expensive $$$

silver
    2000 Audi S4

If you want a turbo v8 take a look at the new twin turbo Saleen S7 no awd and still 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, of course you need a bank account like Bill Gates to afford one.

Black
    1998 Formula

1980-81 Trans Am 4.9 L V8 Turbo...................SLOW AS BALLZ!!!

yes i kno, its old technology but still.... V8+turbo=doesnt necessarily mean its a "Really fast car"

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by EVO8 driver View Post
    I think you misunderstood me. Sure a NA V8 makes power. But it would make more with a turbo and get off the line faster with AWD. Stock turbos on our 4bangers dont have any of those problems your talking about. You get those problems once you go with a big aftermarket turbo. I have a stock turbo with aftermarket lighter internals. The average stock evo hits full boost 16psi around 3100rpm. I get full 22psi at 2800rpm thru 7krpm.
    Well thats great for you, but its still nothing impressive compared to even a stock N/A V8. My LS1 will put you back in the seat just punching it at 2K RPM, no lag, no waiting for the turbo, no bogging, no bullshit. Pushing 16 PSI of boost at 3100RPM is not impressive, how many people wind their engine out to 3100+ RPM during normal driving?? Well, with an Evo you have to, or its a complete dog.

And of course the only way to seriously increase power is to go with a bigger turbo, and then you get all the issues that go along with it. Not the least of which are extreme turbo lag and tuning issues.

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Well thats great for you, but its still nothing impressive compared to even a stock N/A V8. My LS1 will put you back in the seat just punching it at 2K RPM, no lag, no waiting for the turbo, no bogging, no bullshit. Pushing 16 PSI of boost at 3100RPM is not impressive, how many people wind their engine out to 3100+ RPM during normal driving?? Well, with an Evo you have to, or its a complete dog.

And of course the only way to seriously increase power is to go with a bigger turbo, and then you get all the issues that go along with it. Not the least of which are extreme turbo lag and tuning issues.
    If you are driving an evo in normal conditions and dont lower a gear, then yes you do have to wait a second for the turbo to kick in. If you own a turbo car and know you are about to race, i think anyone would lower the gear to be in boost before taking off. 16psi of stock boost gets the evo from 0-60 in 4.7 and 1/4 in mid 13's from a deadstop. As far as making serious power. There are evos with the stock turbo that have gone 10.93 1/4 miles without slicks. Of course thats with alot of bolt ons and race gas. And lets say we went with a big aftermarket turbo. Yes it would be more laggy. Boost kicking in at about 3900rpm. But it would still get the 1/4 done much faster than a stock turbo for sure. I have never personaly ridin in a NA v8 before at WOT. The one thing i hear bad on them is the traction problems on street racing from a dig. I guess thats why 99% of the races here are from a roll.

red
    1999 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SexyAssFormula View Post
    1980-81 Trans Am 4.9 L V8 Turbo...................SLOW AS BALLZ!!!

yes i kno, its old technology but still.... V8+turbo=doesnt necessarily mean its a "Really fast car"
    Most things from the 80s suck ball.I don't know if you have noteist. Becaus in te late 70s to early 80s car companyies started to sacrafice loades of power over emmission regulations.
    I'm pritty sure back in its day the 81 trans am turbo did not suck balls. If someone restored one and put new age products in to the car, it wouldn't be all that bad. But ofcoarse it wouldn't keep up with todays engines.

red
    1999 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    v8+turbo+awd=expensive $$$
    Hell yeah it be expensive. Most super car are. Fast does not = Cheap.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Well, I don't wanna touch the whole 4banger Turbo's VS. N/A V8's convo... Just wanted to say, I've raced plenty of WRX's. The only ones worth an LS1's time is really just the STi's w/ a ton of mods. I'm just speaking through my experience, not trying to cause a war here.

red
    1999 Trans am

what are your mods mikesomthing?

Black
    1998 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by RedT/Anumber1 View Post
    Most things from the 80s suck ball.I don't know if you have noteist. Becaus in te late 70s to early 80s car companyies started to sacrafice loades of power over emmission regulations.
    I'm pritty sure back in its day the 81 trans am turbo did not suck balls. If someone restored one and put new age products in to the car, it wouldn't be all that bad. But ofcoarse it wouldn't keep up with todays engines.

Yes they were still slow as balls in the 80's. I say this because my Dad in his younger days (circa 1980) had a 79 Formula with the Olds 403 in it, his sister had 80' Turbo Trans AM and his Formula used to eat that thing alive. Just thought I would explain my statement.

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

One of my brothers friends got a 2002 wrx manual for his first car. He let me test drive it cause well, i wanted to . I must say a cool car, boost dosen't really build at all till about 3500-4000 rpm though.

I let him test drive my ls1 after that, it was the first time he had driven one. and you could tell on his face that he knew he bought the wrong car :P

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by RedT/Anumber1 View Post
    what are your mods mikesomthing?
    Nothing Major, Check Sig...

Thread Information