Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Malibu and Civic Turbo

So I was on my way home from work Friday afternoon and I came to this intersection about halfway home. The road cuts from 4 lanes to 2 lanes maybe 1/4 mile from the intersection or so and I'm sitting in the left lane (right lane merges with left). This guy in a newish Chevy Malibu cuts hard into the right lane after stopping behind me. He keeps creeping forward while the light's red and looking at me. So I just waited, the intersection has a slight incline so I put my foot on the gas and let the clutch go just enough to hold the car still. When the light turned green I slammed the gas and popped out the clutch. Needless to say this guy was no where near me when I hit the merge.

Are the Malibu's at all fast? This guy was acting like he had a chance but by the time I'd gotten to the merge, he'd been passed by a late 90's Civic, which leads to my next kill for the day.

That Civic followed me all the way down that 2 lane road until I got to where I turn right, onto a 6 lane divided highway. While I'm waiting for the cars in front of me to go, he's sitting be hind me revving that little 1.6 or 1.8 (not sure if it was the SI or not). He had an exhaust and a turbo at least (the obvious trash can exhaust note and the blow off noise make me assume as much). So I got to the front and go to turn and he blows out next to me revving way the hell up. I just floored it and was GONE. There's maybe a half mile to the next light and this guy cuts off someone else to get up next to me then too. So he tries his luck at the next light with the same results except that this time I'd turned off the TCS so I left him a nice cloud of burnt rubber to remember me by. Even spinning the tires I had him the entire time.

On a side note, why is it that the only Porsche drivers I've gotten to race me are chicks in Boxsters? Every 911 I come on refuses to play

What's done to your car?

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Crate LS1 from GM (according gmpartsdirect, this pushes 350hp instead of the 305 that came with mine stock), SLP lid, SLP CAI and smooth bellows.

There may be *some* exhaust work done but there are no brand stamps anywhere and it looks stock to me. All the mods were there when I bought the car, haven't had the cash yet to do anything else to it unfortunately.
    Last edited by Archaelas; 12-09-2009 at 05:44 AM.

Black
    1999 WS6

I swear some of these kids watch too many movies
    aka....The Fast & The Furious
    and because their car "feels" fast, they assume they've got a 10 second ride as well.
    Oh well....good kill

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Archaelas View Post
    Crate LS1 from GM (according gmpartsdirect, this pushes 350hp instead of the 305 that came with mine stock), SLP lid, SLP CAI and smooth bellows.

There may be *some* exhaust work done but there are no brand stamps anywhere and it looks stock to me. All the mods were there when I bought the car, haven't had the cash yet to do anything else to it unfortunately.
    all ls1's had 350 hp. gm just underrated the ones in fbodys so they could still sell corvettes. even though they said your car had 305hp stock, it really had 350.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I think the 305 rating was at the wheels which means 350 at the crank.

Scott

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Gotcha, I was wondering about that. I've noticed a few other weird things with my car that I can't really explain. Most of the reviews I've read and friends I've talked to that have LS1s were telling me that stock, 6th gear @ 68mph was right at 1500 rpm. Mine though is about 1700 @ 68mph, don't know if that means gears or me just being too specific on the tach.

Sorry if I'm asking "stupid" questions, it's been almost 10 years since I was able to really toy with a car. Family life will do that to ya . Thankfully I have a wonderful wife that went out and got me an LS1

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Gotcha, I was wondering about that. I've noticed a few other weird things with my car that I can't really explain. Most of the reviews I've read and friends I've talked to that have LS1s were telling me that stock, 6th gear @ 68mph was right at 1500 rpm. Mine though is about 1700 @ 68mph, don't know if that means gears or me just being too specific on the tach.

Sorry if I'm asking "stupid" questions, it's been almost 10 years since I was able to really toy with a car. Family life will do that to ya . Thankfully I have a wonderful wife that went out and got me an LS1
    Tach is 200RPM fast

So your RPM is 200 lower than whatever the tach reads.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    and because their car "feels" fast, they assume they've got a 10 second ride as well.
    Oh well....good kill
    sadly most of them are grown up,

what does your tach say you idle at? if its about 800rpm then its not off,

i wouldnt worry about it either way, i've driven one that idled at 70mph in 6th gear because of gearing

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

CAR CRAFT ran a crate ls1 on the dyno right out of the box it made 402 hp

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    On a engine dyno i assume? What headers were on it, and what accessorys? Engine dynos usually read high because of these factors.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

CORVETTE manifolds not sure about the other accessories but I will check the artical on lunch

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    because alot of the engine drive excessories were taken of, thusly less parasitic drag on the motor, thusly more HP

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    Oh well....good kill
    I think you are racing the wrong import crowd. There are the ricers and idiots that don't know how to build a fast import. It doesn't matter if they are turbo, nitrous, etc. they are still slow because they can't set their car up right.

Then there are those of us who know how to build an import to go fast. A couple of my buddies imports we've put together all run 10s easy.

Build the car right, and set up the suspension and tune right and it will go fast. It seems a lot of these ricers forget that you can't just add lots of horsepower to a Civic and expect the econobox to automatically run 10s. It doesn't work like that. That's why the vast majority of them are slow.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    because alot of the engine drive excessories were taken of, thusly less parasitic drag on the motor, thusly more HP
    You don't gain 100whp from taking drive accessories off. That crate motor most likely had a cam.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    You don't gain 100whp from taking drive accessories off. That crate motor most likely had a cam.
    it was a engine dyno so it was only 50hp above what a ls1 is rated at. So accesories+manifolds+any tunign the shop would have done and or a high rating dyno could be cause for the 402hp

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

carcraft.com project light speed on an engine dyno yes but so are gm's power claims

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    out of the box LS1 has 350hp not 305, taking off drive accsessories will give you 50 easy, at the crank, which is what was being tested,

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    it was a engine dyno so it was only 50hp above what a ls1 is rated at. So accesories+manifolds+any tunign the shop would have done and or a high rating dyno could be cause for the 402hp

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    what does your tach say you idle at? if its about 800rpm then its not off,

i wouldnt worry about it either way, i've driven one that idled at 70mph in 6th gear because of gearing
    Wasn't too worried about it, but I checked this morning and idle is just a hair shy of 1k... Guess it's time for a calibration

1998 Trans Am

Wasn't too worried about it, but I checked this morning and idle is just a hair shy of 1k... Guess it's time for a calibration
    yeah sounds like wesman was right if its really that close to 1k

Thread Information