Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 44 of 44

LT1, LS1, what about the LT4

This is a discussion on LT1, LS1, what about the LT4 within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD ... Bottom line: LS1 > LT4 or LTanything else that has 2Vs per cylinder. ... I'm ...

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bridgewater, VA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    134

    Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    ...
    Bottom line: LS1 > LT4 or LTanything else that has 2Vs per cylinder.
    ...
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't confidently make that statement. I'm not saying you are wrong! GM wouldn't move backwards, I don't think. However, the LT4's put down right about the same power numbers as an average LS1 from what I've seen.


    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    ...
    Provide reasonable evidence of a bone stock LT4 F-body running quicker than 12.8x and I'll be the first to change my tune.
    ...
    Well...let's dig up all the LT4 F-body articles out there and see just how many different individual cars were tested. To my knowledge there was only one LT4 Firehawk that was ever used for magazine testing, and they didn't run performance tests. It was the prototype built by SLP, used by Jim Mattison as his "company vehicle".
    The SS may have been a similar situation...maybe all the tests by the magazines were on the same car. Maybe this was the only car used for 1/4 mile testing by all the magazines out there. Do we base our times on that one car? What if the only published time we had on a single LS1...and it was the '98 Formula that C&D used in 6/98...it ran a 13.9. There...the LT4 is greater than the LS1. Period. It's in writing. Gotta be true, right?

    The LT4 was rare enough in the F-body that you aren't going to get a zillion magazines trying their hand behind the wheel. You take the times you can get. The LS1 has been driven by everyone that works within 3 blocks of a publisher...sure someone is going to get a good time.
    I ran mine three times at the track, and got to the line before the LS1 all three times. I ran my brother's '97 Vette, and they are even.

    Why are we arguing? When the '09 ZR1 comes out it won't matter what you've got in a stock F-body...you'll watch the Vette shrink away in front of you anyway. LT4, LS1 and LT1 are all rated at less power than the new Hummer is right now. We've got nothing to brag about.

  2. #42
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by LT4Hawk9 View Post
    Um...go back and read my post where I first quoted it. Specifically...#1...it's not an LT4. #2...I said if you believe it.
    Yup - missed the LT1 part. Oops. Makes it even more unbelievable.

    Personally, I don't see a stock LT1 car running 12's.
    We can certainly agree on that.

    An LT4 I can see running 12's..
    Maybe - but I'd like to see the evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by LT4Hawk9 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't confidently make that statement.
    You didn't. I did.

    I'm not saying you are wrong! GM wouldn't move backwards, I don't think. However, the LT4's put down right about the same power numbers as an average LS1 from what I've seen.
    Close - but even if they are even, just the difference in the weight of the motor is enough to tip the scales in favor of the LS1. Even so, I think the average LS1 (at least 2001/2002) is more powerful.

    well...let's dig up all the LT4 F-body articles out there and see just how many different individual cars were tested. To my knowledge there was only one LT4 Firehawk that was ever used for magazine testing, and they didn't run performance tests.
    Perhaps, but I didn't ask for just magazines. I'd be quite happy to see an LT4 owner come and and tell us what they ran, show timeslips, etc.

    It was the prototype built by SLP, used by Jim Mattison as his "company vehicle". The SS may have been a similar situation...maybe all the tests by the magazines were on the same car. Maybe this was the only car used for 1/4 mile testing by all the magazines out there. Do we base our times on that one car?
    Nope. Nor do "we" base all our times on what a (or all) magazines say. It is one set of data points.

    What if the only published time we had on a single LS1...and it was the '98 Formula that C&D used in 6/98...it ran a 13.9. There...the LT4 is greater than the LS1. Period. It's in writing. Gotta be true, right?
    Completely and totally missed my point.

    The LT4 was rare enough in the F-body that you aren't going to get a zillion magazines trying their hand behind the wheel. You take the times you can get.
    Agreed. That's one reason I asked for references and evidence. All I have right now is "memory".

    The LS1 has been driven by everyone that works within 3 blocks of a publisher...sure someone is going to get a good time. I ran mine three times at the track, and got to the line before the LS1 all three times.
    Using your words above, then the LT4 > LS1. Got it.

    I ran my brother's '97 Vette, and they are even.
    No - your car with your driving is even with your brother's car with him (I presume) driving.

    Why are we arguing?
    No clue. Most of my post wasn't even pointed at you.

    When the '09 ZR1 comes out it won't matter what you've got in a stock F-body...you'll watch the Vette shrink away in front of you anyway.
    Don't need to wait on the ZR1 for that.

    LT4, LS1 and LT1 are all rated at less power than the new Hummer is right now. We've got nothing to brag about.
    Pretty silly arguement, but ok.

    Bob

  3. #43
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    The way I look at it is...If you can claim you wen't 14.2 in a bone-stock 5.0, then anythings possible if ya ask me

  4. #44
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    sweet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •