Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

white
    96 TransAM/ 05 Expedition

LT1, LS1, what about the LT4

I put a LT4 in my 96 firebird after i thrashed the stock LT1. The LT4 came out of a 96 vette and i have beaten my share of both the LT1's & LS1's and i have also been beaten by the LT1's & LS1's. Any body else got the LT4 in any of their vehicles or raced any LT4's
    Last edited by firebirdlt4; 12-15-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I want an LT4

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

ive never really encountered one

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

did u leave the stock LT4 cam in?

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Do you still get the wonderful optispark problems? Not many people have the LT4's.

white
    96 TransAM/ 05 Expedition

Is the LT4 known to have alot of optispark problems because I have actually changed out my optispark twice and it is actually messing up again. Do you know of anything to do to help this problem out. No i did not change the cam out it is stock

10's N/A

You'll be able to find a lot more info on the LT1-LT4 in the LT1 section.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

i saw one at a car show (camaro lt4)

also saw one on ebay for a outrageous price, they think they are worth alot or somthing.

Black
    2000 S-10 Blazer

I have a clone LT4 in my blazer, the only thing i dont have is 4bolt mains!

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

ya, but not quite as important in an iron block vs. aluminum block.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Hey a bone stock LS1 M6 vs. a bone stock LT4 M6 the LT4 would win right?

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

drivers race

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

i beleve the ls1 would have the advantege ls1 about 340 horse and an aluminum block lt4 has 10 less and an iron block.
    http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

I've got an LT4 Firehawk, so I guess I can speak with a little experience here.

I drove my car from here in Virginia, up to Norwalk, OH in 2002 for the Firehawk Rally. My wife and I, and a load of clothes and cleaning supplies for the Hawk, hit the road. We ran 80-85 MPH most of the way, drove like an idiot up there, drag raced it 3 times, drove 80+ home...and averaged 28 MPG.

As for the track times versus the LS1 cars, all three times I ran it I was lined up against an LS!/automatic Firehawk (one car twice, one car once), and I won (time-wise) all three races. Being 8+ hours from home, and reading all about the weak rear ends in these cars, I really didn't flog it hard out of the hole. I pretty much launched like I would on the street, not really trying my luck with the sticky track. 60' times reflect that. Also keep in mind I'm not a drag racer. The third run will reflect that, too. I've only got 14k miles on the Hawk now, and it was likely 8-9k at this point. I'm not real competent with it. I didn't change a thing from the trip up, tire pressure was still at 30-some pounds, 3/4 tank of fuel, etc. Now that all the excuses are out of the way, let's look at the numbers. I'm car #687, in the right lane all three times.

Here are the first two runs:

And here is the last.

Note that every number is better on this one up through the end. I think I may have shut down early.

This should at least give you guys an idea of where we are at with the LT4 cars. Chances of seeing one of the OEM ones are slim with under 150 out there. You're more likely to see one someone swapped an LT4 or LT4 parts onto...and you gotta wonder what else was done to it.
    1997 LT4 Firehawk #009
    1987 Trans Am 305 TPI-Stock running gear, but coolified looks! -For sale
    1980 International Scout II with an LT1

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by LT4Hawk9 View Post
    Click for full size

I drove my car from here in Virginia, up to Norwalk, OH in 2002 for the Firehawk Rally. My wife and I, and a load of clothes and cleaning supplies for the Hawk, hit the road. We ran 80-85 MPH most of the way, drove like an idiot up there, drag raced it 3 times, drove 80+ home...and averaged 28 MPG.

As for the track times versus the LS1 cars, all three times I ran it I was lined up against an LS!/automatic Firehawk (one car twice, one car once), and I won (time-wise) all three races. Being 8+ hours from home, and reading all about the weak rear ends in these cars, I really didn't flog it hard out of the hole. I pretty much launched like I would on the street, not really trying my luck with the sticky track. 60' times reflect that. Also keep in mind I'm not a drag racer. The third run will reflect that, too. I've only got 14k miles on the Hawk now, and it was likely 8-9k at this point. I'm not real competent with it. I didn't change a thing from the trip up, tire pressure was still at 30-some pounds, 3/4 tank of fuel, etc. Now that all the excuses are out of the way, let's look at the numbers. I'm car #687, in the right lane all three times.

Here are the first two runs:
    Click for full size

And here is the last.
    Click for full size

Note that every number is better on this one up through the end. I think I may have shut down early.

This should at least give you guys an idea of where we are at with the LT4 cars. Chances of seeing one of the OEM ones are slim with under 150 out there. You're more likely to see one someone swapped an LT4 or LT4 parts onto...and you gotta wonder what else was done to it.
    Looks to me it was a driver toss up all the times are real close. Good racing!

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Looks to me it was a driver toss up all the times are real close. Good racing!
    Close? All of them? Oh. The first one was over a second and 20mph different!

The second one was close. The third one it looks like we both let off. He wasn't lookin' too good on his 13.20 dial in, though.

Besides...I heard it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile...

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I was looking at the entire slip, the first one he diff let off near the end of the 1/4 mile. but if you look at all the times on the first slip you were both pretty close.

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    I was looking at the entire slip, the first one he diff let off near the end of the 1/4 mile. but if you look at all the times on the first slip you were both pretty close.
    No...I am looking at the first slip...that's the one we're way off on times. Even at 1/8th mile I'm ahead by over 3/4 second.

The other two we're close...but winnin's winnin'.

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Forgot to mention...my brother has a stock, 5k mile '97 Corvette. We've not taken it to the track at this point, but we've played a few times on the street. The two cars are dead on balls even. Wherever in the RPM range, speed range, etc that we've ever run them, they are dead even. Of course, as soon as we take them to the track, he's gonna be butt-hurt because I'll beat him.
    We were going to go to Richmond this summer, but it never happened. That's close enough I'd launch the whizz out of my Hawk ...if I break it I'll call someone to bring the trailer down to get it.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by LT4Hawk9 View Post
    Click for full size
    Gorgeous Hawk man What years and which model/s f-bodies came with a LT4?

Thread Information