Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LT1, LS1, what about the LT4

This is a discussion on LT1, LS1, what about the LT4 within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by firebirdlt4 Is the LT4 known to have alot of optispark problems because I have actually changed out ...

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by firebirdlt4 View Post
    Is the LT4 known to have alot of optispark problems because I have actually changed out my optispark twice and it is actually messing up again. Do you know of anything to do to help this problem out. No i did not change the cam out it is stock
    lol spend the $515 and get the msd. it has great reviews!! from people who used them

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Gorgeous Hawk man What years and which model/s f-bodies came with a LT4?
    Thanks! The LT4 was available for 1997 only. The LT4 was an optional thing even in '97. There were only 29 Firehawks and 106 (or 108?) SS's built.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

rare cars, you should feel lucky to have one

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

Quote Originally Posted by firebirdlt4 View Post
    Is the LT4 known to have alot of optispark problems because I have actually changed out my optispark twice and it is actually messing up again. Do you know of anything to do to help this problem out. No i did not change the cam out it is stock
    I had opti. problems with my LT1. It could be the water pump weeping on to the opti. Do you go to the track any?

white
    96 TransAM/ 05 Expedition

yea i go to the track every once in a while but it has been a couple of months since i have been. It might be a little while longer now because my tranny started messing up this weekend slipping in 3rd and OD. Why you get to the track much

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

I go quit a bit. I'm either in the lightning or on my yellow and black gixxer. Maybe I'll see ya there sometime. (assuming you go to kennedale.)

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by LT4Hawk9 View Post
    Thanks! The LT4 was available for 1997 only. The LT4 was an optional thing even in '97. There were only 29 Firehawks and 106 (or 108?) SS's built.
    '97's for the F-bodies, '96 for the Base Corvette, Grand Sport, and Collectors Edition.

As far as LT4 vs. LS1, in stock trim, I pulled two C5 (both M6's) and a few LS1 F-bodies. One race with the C5 was won by a mere car length. The F-bodies had a tougher time against me though. Both are legendary motors.
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    What years and which model/s f-bodies came with a LT4?
    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    '97's for the F-bodies, '96 for the Base Corvette, Grand Sport, and Collectors Edition.
    I was responding to the question about what F-bodies the LT4 came in. Who cares about the yuppie Vette owners?

10's N/A

I was responding to the question about what F-bodies the LT4 came in. Who cares about the yuppie Vette owners?
    I actually wasn't trying to offend you, nor question your knowledge. Maybe at a different time, different day I might take offense to your response. But judging by your quarter-mile times, I don't believe your worth my time. I've wen't that quick in stock LT1's

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

What's the quickest bone stock LT4 ET? Firehawk, SS, or Vette?

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

I actually wasn't trying to offend you, nor question your knowledge. Maybe at a different time, different day I might take offense to your response.
    Well...no offense meant. Just ribbin' the Vette owners...funny...haha...note the banana there at the end of the post.
    Calm down...I guess I'm glad I didn't catch you at a different time, on another day...you might have come a couple thousand miles to Virginia and outran me. Oh, no!

But judging by your quarter-mile times, I don't believe your worth my time.
    Ahhh...the measure of a man is his 1/4 mile time, now? lol...whatever.

I've wen't that quick in stock LT1's
    I said I wasn't a good racer. The numbers from all three times I've raced anything on a track in the past 10+ years are in this thread. I'm sure someone of your professional caliber racing skill could get a better time in my car than I can. Know what?...I'm okay with that...but I wouldn't let you drive it anyway.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

im jelous. you have a beautiful car... it makes me want to do the lt4 conversion more and more to my car...well maybe ill just port my heads myself.lol. i want an lt4. i found one at a local shop and the guy wanted 3800 for it. i was like screw that. i would rather build a new motor for my car.

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Fastest stock LT1 I've ever heard of...if you believe it...Quoting David Hamburger from another forum:

I remember in '97 we tested a bone stock SS 6spd car and the average time we pulled was somewhere in the 13.38's. Scott Kallita (top fuel driver) got in the car and then ripped out a 12.27 and he backed it up with a 12.29!

I'd let him drive my car, btw.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    What's the quickest bone stock LT4 ET? Firehawk, SS, or Vette?
    GMHTP = 12.69/109 ('97 SS LT4)
    M/T - 13.2/108 ('97 SS LT4)

As far as Corvette, I don't know the quickest ever time. I wen't 13.2@109, and the only other test i've seen was from Vette magazine LT1 VS. LT4, and that vette wen't 12.9@108

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Yep...I Googled it quick and found M/T Feb '97 issue was 13.2@108.8, and Car Craft (issue unknown) got 13.25@107, both from an LT4 SS.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Do you know what issue of GMHTP that was? How about a scan of the article?

LT4Hawk9....Please post a link to, or a scan of that article - or even a link to Dave Hamburger's comment. Scott Kalitta is a fabulous Top Fuel Driver - but nobody has gone 12.2x in any stock Camaro. Further, Scot Kalitta is a fabulous Top Fuel Driver - but there is a HUGE WORLD OF DIFFERENCE between going down the track in something like that, and going down the track in a stock 12-13 second car.

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

LT4Hawk9....Please post a link to, or a scan of that article - or even a link to Dave Hamburger's comment. Scott Kalitta is a fabulous Top Fuel Driver - but nobody has gone 12.2x in any stock Camaro. Further, Scot Kalitta is a fabulous Top Fuel Driver - but there is a HUGE WORLD OF DIFFERENCE between going down the track in something like that, and going down the track in a stock 12-13 second car.
    LINK to his comment on the Firehawk message boards. I didn't read the whole thread, but enough to know that he said he was working on a video of it, but it's never happened.

10's N/A

[QUOTE=BLKCLOUD;1235360]Do you know what issue of GMHTP that was? How about a scan of the article?

No I don't remember what issue that was. The times always stuck in my head because it was just as quick as any stock C5 flog I had ever seen.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

I see. Stuck in your head - "Mr I won't believe it if I don't see it". I guess I should just take it as gospel then. No link. No mag article. No timeslip. Just your word.

Good as gold!

Bottom line: LS1 > LT4 or LTanything else that has 2Vs per cylinder. Provide reasonable evidence of a bone stock LT4 F-body running quicker than 12.8x and I'll be the first to change my tune.

LT4Hawk9....read page 2 of that thread....specifically....

From Dave Hamburger....
    The car was a factory freak - a GM NAO car that was one of our first cars given to us by GM on the Chevy side. I know it weighed damn near close to 3K with me (back in '97 I weighed only 165 - Kallita weighed in I believe at 147 (although he was able to practically drink me under the table that year at Sturgis!) and we always ran with about an eighth of a tank of fuel. I won't go in to too many details about GM's media cars and what GM did to them, for that you'll have to read my book next spring.
    Not too sure I'd use that 12.2x as an example of the quickest "bone stock" LT4.

Taking nothing away from your car - its definately a collectible!

Bob

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

LT4Hawk9....read page 2 of that thread....specifically....

Not too sure I'd use that 12.2x as an example of the quickest "bone stock" LT4.

Um...go back and read my post where I first quoted it. Specifically...#1...it's not an LT4. #2...I said if you believe it. Personally, I don't see a stock LT1 car running 12's. An LT4 I can see running 12's...but not 12.2's. I can also tell you that I'm not going to buy the book, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information