Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hark_Z

LT1 kept pace w/ this LS1!??

Ok me and a friend were driving around last night and just playing around...then we got to racing.

My car-'94 Z28: CAI and exhaust a4 2.73 (all my mods) (50k)

His car- '01 Z28: (30k)
    + Whisper Motorsports Air Box Lid
    + K & N Air Filter
    + K & N Breather Filter
    + March Underdrive Crank Pulley
    + Pacesetter Long-tube Headers
    + Hooker Aero-Chamber Muffler
    + Spohn Tubular Motor Mounts
    + Spohn Adjustable Torque Arm
    + J & M Strut Tower Brace
    + Eibach Performance Springs (Lowered 2")
    + Richmond 4.10 Gears
    + Hypertech Power Programmer III
    + SLP 160 Degree Thermostat
    + SLP Mass Air Flow Sensor
    + Hurst Short-throw Shifter (6 Speed)
    + New street shocks
    + Throttle Body Bypass Kit
    + Aluminum Flex Plate
    + Custom Y Pipe w/ no Cats
    + 1SC Option (Deletes t-tops and all power)

The first race was a 30 roll. I immediately jumped a 1/2 car on him, then by his next shift I found my front end at about his rear tire and it stayed that way until around 80 when we shut down.

The second race was from a dead stop. We both got decent launches and I had a 1/2 car until 50 where he jumped ahead. This was on a strip by my dad's work that is exactly a 1/4 mile too. By the end he had 1 car on me and I was at around 100mph.

My question is this.. I realize I didn't involve enough variables to determine just why the races played out the way they did.... (You guys weren't there to see it all) But why were these races so close?? I figured that with all his suspension parts and 4.10's he would hook up, start pullin, keep pullin, and blow me away for sure. After the races he was disgusted and was saying how he couldn't hook up..We both had passengers and his passenger said he launched around 1800 or 2000 which seems right. I launched at 1200. I have many friends with LS1's and it seems like all these LS1's I race have all these mods like LT's, gears, mass airflow sensors, blah-blah..that you would expect to add up and provide some power but I race stock LS1's with the same results. BTW, I know LT's and gears and such aren't MAJOR mods but they seem to not really make a difference! I don't know if I have a strong car or what but I'm confused..

well obviously the ls1 should have more power than you. One thing that would come to mind is that he was having traction loss on shifts due to the decrease in temp. Other than driver error, shifting slow, shifting to high in the power band, shifting to low, etc etc.

switch cars and see what happens. You drive his and he drives yours.
    Last edited by mogs01gt; 11-23-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Black
    99 SS

agreed he should of killed u

Hark_Z
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt
    well obvouisly the ls1 should have more power than you. One thing that would come to mind is that he was having traction loss on shifts due to the decrease in temp. Other than driver error, shifting slow, shifting to high in the power band, shifting to low, etc etc.

switch cars and see what happens. You drive his and he drives yours.

I would most likely lose because I am not that experienced with manuals. And if you think about it, it's strange to think that anyone else would be a better driver than he in his own car becasue you think he would be familiar with it.I guess not though.... And yes the temp was around 40 here last nite. I always figured that would give even advantage to both cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Hark_Z
    I would most likely lose because I am not that experienced with manuals. And if you think about it, it's strange to think that anyone else would be a better driver than he in his own car becasue you think he would be familiar with it.I guess not though.... And yes the temp was around 40 here last nite. I always figured that would give even advantage to both cars.
    gears+powershifting=lots of wheel spin in 40 degree weather .

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

With the headers alone he should of been able to walk you hard after 50 or so. Was he shifting at 3000rpm or something. Sounds like he should have bought an auto and stalled it.

Hark_Z
    All good questions... He was racing to win(probably not grannyshifting) because he was embarassed already from the races.
    Last edited by Hark_Z; 11-24-2005 at 05:52 PM.

Hark_Z
    Guys, I realize this seems absurd...but all ls1's seem the same. In other words bolt on LS1's and stock LS1's have the same results whenever I race them. It's just strange. I come on sites like this, learn what part gives you what, and how much of a gain or whatever, but when I see cars add things like headers or gears, I race them and the never seems to have a difference. Too weird.

05 Wrangler

Well it's dyno proven that the gain is very good with bolt ons. I personally think you're full of shit...your driving a pretty much stock lt1 a4 with 2.73's. For your info...a4 plus 2.73's is a bad thing. The ls1 you "raced" is a stripper Z( light weight) with lid, headers, catback, 4.10's, 6-speed, suspension mods, a shitty tuner, and some free mods and bolt-ons. Just with my mods i'd pull ya like you weren't moving...down low you'd hang but that's it.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hark_Z
    Ok me and a friend were driving around last night and just playing around...then we got to racing.

My car-'94 Z28: CAI and exhaust a4 2.73 (all my mods) (50k)
    Have you ever had you car to the track? I knew of a car alot like yours that turned 13.8's in the quarter. I know of three LS1 cars that turn 13.5's -13.2's with just a lid and exhaust. Your friends car should obliterate you if driven properly. Even assuming you were better than a 13.8, he should put at least a bus-length or two on you.

You did say you were "around 100 mph", which is about what you should trap in the 1/4. With his mods, you friend should be knocking on 110-112 mph. He must have been loosing a lot of ground to tirespin, slow shifts, low shiftpoint or other driver error.

But kudo's to you - you fare much better than you should have!

Hammer

Black
    99 SS

yea with my mods you would have no chance at all to even keep pace with me. lid, FRA, custom Y, cutout, cam, springs, comp R lifters, comp pushrods, ls6 intake, and 3.23's, and a very modified transmission to push all this.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

Your slushbox and tall gears are taking a lot of the bang from your shifts, so you aren't spinning as much. That's why you were able to hang with him.

Hark_Z
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Well it's dyno proven that the gain is very good with bolt ons. I personally think you're full of shit...your driving a pretty much stock lt1 a4 with 2.73's. For your info...a4 plus 2.73's is a bad thing. The ls1 you "raced" is a stripper Z( light weight) with lid, headers, catback, 4.10's, 6-speed, suspension mods, a shitty tuner, and some free mods and bolt-ons. Just with my mods i'd pull ya like you weren't moving...down low you'd hang but that's it.
    Definitely not full of shit. It's not like I'm on a mission to prove LT1's or fabricate outrageous stories... I'm just suprised by all of this as you guys are. And no shit 2.73's are a 'bad' thing. I am suprised and if I wanted to try and hype you guys up and make a story
    I would have been saying I had 3.73's that kept me close, I did no such thing!
    Last edited by Hark_Z; 11-25-2005 at 09:19 PM.

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

Like dude said above, y'all swap cars and see how it goes. Your LT1 will get the jump simply due to better low-end torque, but past 50, the LS1 should walk you.

Wanna really stomp on an LS1??? Get an SBC hydraulic roller cam, about 220* @ .050", .550" lift, and around 114* LSA. Match that with LTs, 3.73s, a good catback, and some tuning, and you'll hurt some folks.

Hark_Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Like dude said above, y'all swap cars and see how it goes. Your LT1 will get the jump simply due to better low-end torque, but past 50, the LS1 should walk you.

Wanna really stomp on an LS1??? Get an SBC hydraulic roller cam, about 220* @ .050", .550" lift, and around 114* LSA. Match that with LTs, 3.73s, a good catback, and some tuning, and you'll hurt some folks.
    Technicallly, ls1's have better low end than LT1's even. But I consider the RACES a fluke cuz i find it unbelievable as well but i dont know. I just know they happened.. Eventually I'm gettin the head/cam package from Lloyd Elliot so i'll be in business !!

how do you know the guy he raced had a "stripper" 1le z28?

05 Wrangler

Didn't say it was a 1le stripper Z...the dude said it is a 1sc, so no t-tops or power options...hell of a lot more stripped then mine.

Didn't say it was a 1le stripper Z...the dude said it is a 1sc, so no t-tops or power options...hell of a lot more stripped then mine.
    the 1le package is usually associated with the term "stripper", from what I have heard.

Hark_Z
    ISC is no power options and hardtop, what does the ILE stripper have to make it more lightweight?

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

Lloyd Elliot, eh??? Is he kin to Bill Elliot, or am I just retar-tarded for asking?

Thread Information