Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ls1 vs sti

This is a discussion on ls1 vs sti within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I would say that for sure you have a better chance on a roll. 45 put it in 2nd. Then ...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I would say that for sure you have a better chance on a roll. 45 put it in 2nd. Then you will have everything in front of you. From a dig, you are gonna need a lot of track to catch up to him if you miss it off the line. Prob close to 3/4 mile. Well, maybe only a half. But you are talking big speeds by then. AWD vs RWD. No e/t streets. Even power. You on the roll, him on the dig.

black, black Twins
    93 Supra , 94 Supra Turbo

STIs are very nasty out of the hole. You would have to be a really good driver to beat a average STI driver off the line. If you want to level the playing field, race from a 30 to 60 roll.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

hes only making 350 with the bigger turbo and full exhaust? wonder if he skipped a few parts on that upgrade lol...i kinda lean on the STI but as plenty of people said...if he cant drive and you can no way in hell he can win...AWD cars need GOOD drivers too be fast! i did drive one and almost bought it a few months back. camm'd exhaust had everything upgraded for the bigger turbo..but just didnt have the bigger turbo. that car would have slaughtered my car if it was anywhere near stock.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Sorry to say but the sti should rape you. Get H/C/I and then itll be a drivers race. from a dig, its actually quite difficult to launch an Sti. You gotta be precise and hit boost just perfect or else you get lag. So I think that'd be your only chance assuming that the guy can't launch perfect.

And the 350hp number doesn't represent all the drivetrain loss. AWD

White
    1998 Trans Am

A STI with anyone who can shift should have no problem with a WS6 with those mini mods. The STI like the EVO have turbo lag but the awd makes to for it and you can launch them at boost with just a chirp. I had a 97 AWD Talon with just exhaust and smoked mustang and LT1's like nothing since u could.come outta the hole at 4k and higher depending on what I was racing and shift at 8k with the car still pulling. AWD changes a race a lot.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    Sorry to say but the sti should rape you. Get H/C/I and then itll be a drivers race. from a dig, its actually quite difficult to launch an Sti. You gotta be precise and hit boost just perfect or else you get lag. So I think that'd be your only chance assuming that the guy can't launch perfect.

And the 350hp number doesn't represent all the drivetrain loss. AWD
    Yes it does, 350whp is 350hp to the wheels!!!!!!!!! The wheels come after the drivetrain.

Launching with a AWD stick car has nothing to do with catching boost, its stick so until its in gear engaged it is making no boost.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

for the record i love STI's and would own one in a heart beat if i could afford one...but not for drag racing. thinkin of some off road action

black, black Twins

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    for the record i love STI's and would own one in a heart beat if i could afford one...but not for drag racing. thinkin of some off road action
    A-man to that!!! I love my import. I'm thinking of getting a Subi myself. My wife's prefrence is more the Evo way. I'm sure I'll be happy either way. We love our toys. Domestic or Import.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

i almost got one a while back but it was just a little out of my price range

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by nomolos1 View Post
    A-man to that!!! I love my import. I'm thinking of getting a Subi myself. My wife's prefrence is more the Evo way. I'm sure I'll be happy either way. We love our toys. Domestic or Import.
    The 2jz is about the only good thing on the supra. The rest of the car is useless, the chassis isnt the best for drag, def not the best for drift and def not the best chassis for auto x or road course. I used to be a huge supra fan boi, i even had a 517whp supra( not a 2jz though), other than the ability to make power which almost any v8 has the supra was a let down. I def enjoyed driving my less power ls1 f-body more than my 517whp supra. The STI is a better built car with a better chassis, suspension setup, drivetrain and brake package than the supra but with a less impressive engine. And the 2.5 4 cylinder is all they have performance wise because Subaru doesnt know how to build performance boxer 6 cylinders, there is a reason no one turbos and builds 6 cylinder subaru engines.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-14-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Black
    BMW E39 540I 6 spd 4.4 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Launching with a AWD stick car has nothing to do with catching boost, its stick so until its in gear engaged it is making no boost.
    This statement is not true at all. Turbo cars can build boost out of gear with no load on the engine.
    I had a stock twin turbo RX-7 that would hit 5lbs of boost revving the car in neutral, out of gear.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
    This statement is not true at all. Turbo cars can build boost out of gear with no load on the engine.
    I had a stock twin turbo RX-7 that would hit 5lbs of boost revving the car in neutral, out of gear.
    Cars with really small turbos will make a little boost but STIs will be lucky to hit 0psi unless they have a two step

Black
    2005 STi 320whp/352wtq

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    ya i dont know too much about sti's i know that the new turbo cost him 8500. its a bullseye or something ill have to double check.
    EDIT: read later posts

That must have been a REALLY low reading dyno or he wasted a lot of money on the wrong parts, a shitty tune, and paying someone else to do work he should have done himself. With ANY turbo larger than the stocker you'll easily hit/exceed those numbers. I put down 316awhp/328wtq with a turboback and a protune only (a true reading dyno as well). 350rwhp 317ft lb are easily stock turbo numbers but come on, $8,500 in parts for numbers that could be hit with a $200 downpipe and a $300 protune.

Call me a troll but I like to see what the other side has to say about my cars.
    Last edited by 2005sti; 09-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Black
    BMW E39 540I 6 spd 4.4 V8

Cars with really small turbos will make a little boost but STIs will be lucky to hit 0psi unless they have a two step
    RX-7 TTs had twin Hitachi HT-12 turbos. In fact, all 3rd gen TT RX-7s used the HT-12s.
    HT-12 specs:
    Turbocharging Sequential twin-turbochargers, with electronic boost control
    (Twin Hitachi HT12 turbos w/51mm turbine & 57mm compressor)
    Turbine diameter, in. (mm) 2.0 (51)
    A/R, low-speed passage 0.6 (Pry)
    A/R, low- and high-speed passages 0.6 (Sec)
    Compressor daimeter, in. (mm) 2.2 (57)

These are not small turbos, especially if you consider they were fitted to a 1.3L engine.
    These turbos are almost as big as a T-57. While not a big turbo by today's standards, certainly not a small one either.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2005sti View Post
    EDIT: read later posts

That must have been a REALLY low reading dyno or he wasted a lot of money on the wrong parts, a shitty tune, and paying someone else to do work he should have done himself. With ANY turbo larger than the stocker you'll easily hit/exceed those numbers. I put down 316awhp/328wtq with a turboback and a protune only (a true reading dyno as well). 350rwhp 317ft lb are easily stock turbo numbers but come on, $8,500 in parts for numbers that could be hit with a $200 downpipe and a $300 protune.

Call me a troll but I like to see what the other side has to say about my cars.
    You aren't pulling the wool over anyone's eyes here.

My friend has a '05 STI. It made 230WHP stock. Thats par for your average STI. He added a turboback and Cobb tune to it. The car was only marginally quicker. Definitely not anywhere near the 316WHP you claim. You don't gain 86WHP from an exhaust and tune.

STi's don't hit 350WHP on a stock turbo, either. Once again, that 120WHP over stock. How the hell do you figure its going to make those numbers?? They don't, simple as that.

With a big turbo and full upgrades, you'd be lucky to hit 400WHP with an STI. And at that point, the engine is not going to last long, because the internals are only good for about 400HP max. I've seen more Subarus with spun rods and blown pistons because some ricer though they could push huge boost and lean out their stock tune to make big power. Sorry, wrong.

Black
    2005 STi 320whp/352wtq

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    You aren't pulling the wool over anyone's eyes here.

My friend has a '05 STI. It made 230WHP stock. Thats par for your average STI. He added a turboback and Cobb tune to it. The car was only marginally quicker. Definitely not anywhere near the 316WHP you claim. You don't gain 86WHP from an exhaust and tune.

STi's don't hit 350WHP on a stock turbo, either. Once again, that 120WHP over stock. How the hell do you figure its going to make those numbers?? They don't, simple as that.

With a big turbo and full upgrades, you'd be lucky to hit 400WHP with an STI. And at that point, the engine is not going to last long, because the internals are only good for about 400HP max. I've seen more Subarus with spun rods and blown pistons because some ricer though they could push huge boost and lean out their stock tune to make big power. Sorry, wrong.
    Stock STi's put down 230-240whp on the dyno I was tuned on. Going from a stock 14.5 psi to 21 psi put me up to 316whp. I love how you think you know everything about every car ever created. Here you go, http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ighlight=agile 340whp/350tq stock turbo, pump gas, stock injectors, exhaust, intake and colder plugs. I know you'll call BS on the baseline for this dyno being ~235 whp but that'd only be too typical of your skepticism of all things not LSx.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

hey hey lets not get all hatefull. we dont need a admin closing the thread on us! lets all hug and be merry.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Only warning... If this gets out of hand...

black, black Twins

The 2jz is about the only good thing on the supra. The rest of the car is useless, the chassis isnt the best for drag, def not the best for drift and def not the best chassis for auto x or road course. I used to be a huge supra fan boi, i even had a 517whp supra( not a 2jz though), other than the ability to make power which almost any v8 has the supra was a let down. I def enjoyed driving my less power ls1 f-body more than my 517whp supra. The STI is a better built car with a better chassis, suspension setup, drivetrain and brake package than the supra but with a less impressive engine. And the 2.5 4 cylinder is all they have performance wise because Subaru doesnt know how to build performance boxer 6 cylinders, there is a reason no one turbos and builds 6 cylinder subaru engines.
    FYI.... I have a 600 hp MK4 Supra. It is set for drift or drag W/full interior. I haven't tracked it but once, and got 10.21 in the 1/4. That was on street tires. And I got flag for not have the safety equipment needed. (cage/4 point belts) I feel very certain I would have hit 9s with drags tires.
    Don't be a hater. Take in mind, I could beat a new ZR1. And I didn't spend over $120k to get there. My car still gets 24 to 27 mpg. The Supra still gets more compliments than my T/A.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by nomolos1 View Post
    FYI.... I have a 600 hp MK4 Supra. It is set for drift or drag W/full interior. I haven't tracked it but once, and got 10.21 in the 1/4. That was on street tires. And I got flag for not have the safety equipment needed. (cage/4 point belts) I feel very certain I would have hit 9s with drags tires.
    Don't be a hater. Take in mind, I could beat a new ZR1. And I didn't spend over $120k to get there. My car still gets 24 to 27 mpg. The Supra still gets more compliments than my T/A.
    I'm not being a hater, nor did I ever say you can drag race, drift or auto x a supra. But they arent the best of even close to the best option for any of the situations. There are 8 second 5.0s out there which only cost the owner 20k. They paid even less than you and are faster so what. Cars arent priced by 1/4mile times, the zr1 is still better than your car in almost every way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information