Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 77

LS1 Vs. LS2

This is a discussion on LS1 Vs. LS2 within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Roastem Looks like the LS2 is basically a bigger cube LS6 motor. Well for the most part ...

  1. #41
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    48
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Looks like the LS2 is basically a bigger cube LS6 motor.
    Well for the most part yes

  2. #42
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    That is correct, they have LS6 style heads, although the casting number is different, they patterned the ports and such after the LS6 design, with D shaped exhaust ports etc.....plus the cam and other little things, not to mention it's small cubic inch displacement. It's definately an improvement over the LS1 and would be a nice upgrade to any LS1 equipped car.

    I thought about bringing this up earlier in this post but it started turning into a pissing match and it turned me off.

  3. #43
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Well, some people get edgy and the problem with reading and making posts is that you cannot convey your voice in the manner it should be perceived. Written words are for the most part soulless.

    I can say "f*ck you b*tch" and it will come off as mean and nasty written. But in person I can change the inflection, lower the tone, add a smile and a laugh at the end and it will be entirely different.

    That is why smilies are your friend when making posts.

  4. #44
    Member Speeddemon24_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    112

    Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

    I agree the LS2 is a better motor it replaced the LS1 for apparent reasons. the Goat is just a heavy car. The LS2 Corvette will spank a stock LS1 F-body all day long. And to my best knowledge there is no difference between the LS2 in the Vette and the LS2 in the GTO. There for it is all about the weight of the vehicle. And that is the reason that the GTO is a perfect equal to the basically STOCK LS1 F-body. With the weight of the goat being 300 lbs. more that the Z28, and the Z28 having about 30hp less than the GTO puts them on an equal battlefield.

    [B]1998 Camaro Z28 [B]M6 SLP Air Lid, K&N, SLP Smooth Bellow, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, MSD wires, NGK Plugs, LS6 Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywheel, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Skip-Shift, Clear Corner & Side Markers, White Face Gauges, 15% tint & 18" Chrome Y2K's with 285's

  5. #45
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    but an ls2 gto from a roll with probably beat a stock f body. thats just the way the ball rolls. i think we can all agree that we would take an ls2 anyday of the week, but we love the ls1 just as much. end of story.

  6. #46
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Well, some people get edgy and the problem with reading and making posts is that you cannot convey your voice in the manner it should be perceived. Written words are for the most part soulless.

    I can say "f*ck you b*tch" and it will come off as mean and nasty written. But in person I can change the inflection, lower the tone, add a smile and a laugh at the end and it will be entirely different.

    That is why smilies are your friend when making posts.
    Ya the lovely internet, just comes with it I guess.

  7. #47
    Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    716

    Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

    The LS2 is a better motor, it is a 6.0 liter engine, with a better breathing system. It is everything that is good about the LS1, with a few improvements from GM. The horsepower is 400 as compared to a LS1 which has around 350 (not the underated bullshit that was advertised)

    I welcome the LS2, thet changed the compression a little, gave it a few more cubes and generly made it better than the LS1. But the motor that really gives me a hard on (irrection, boner, stiffy, what have you), is the LS7, that is a beast from the factory. I cant wait for this new Corvette SS or Blue Devil everyone is talking about!!!!!! I hear 650 horses with a factory Supercharger!!!! Oh yeah!! Lets Supercharge the LS7!!!
    Now I just have to rob a bank to afford it.

  8. #48
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Oh GD I am loving the new avatar preston!!!


  9. #49
    Senior Member slims00ls1z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,212

    2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

    Hey speeddemon how heavily optioned is your car? That could be a big factor in the deal. I know My Z stock outran SS's stock just because the weight difference of my car being a stripper especially vs auto SS's. The first kill in my car was my friends black 99 SS he was mad because the dealer sold him on the SS with the notion that Z28's couldn't run with him (helps to know cars more than the dealers do).

    True the LS2 is a better motor than the LS1 it has to be with the same arcitecture and more CI. But they should have kept the LS6 intake on it. I've read and heard just about everywhere that the LS6 intake still out performs the LS2's.

    I'm with ya on the LS7 preston I played with a Z06 on the way to work today. Wouldn't call it a race but those suckers move. And the New 650 hp s/c motor is a 6.3 not the LS7.

  10. #50
    Bolt-On Pimp ImpalaSSpeed96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    360

    Black
    01 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    but an ls2 gto from a roll with probably beat a stock f body. thats just the way the ball rolls. i think we can all agree that we would take an ls2 anyday of the week, but we love the ls1 just as much. end of story.

  11. #51
    Member Speeddemon24_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    112

    Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Hey speeddemon how heavily optioned is your car? That could be a big factor in the deal. I know My Z stock outran SS's stock just because the weight difference of my car being a stripper especially vs auto SS's. The first kill in my car was my friends black 99 SS he was mad because the dealer sold him on the SS with the notion that Z28's couldn't run with him (helps to know cars more than the dealers do).
    My 98 Z28 has every option that I can think of inculding California emissions but it doesn't have rear defrost, leather seats, ground effects, and automatic tranny....Thats all I can think of.

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    177

    Red
    2002 T/A

    Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon24_7 View Post
    Never said lt1 had to have h/c to outrun me to start with. but just bolt ons lt1 will probably have a hard time doing so! For as i said earlier, i had a 95 Z with bolt ons and it ran 13.40s @ 105 mph and my ls1 is definately stronger than my 95 was
    Being a first year ('98) LS1 F-body is it possible that you car is not stock? Did you buy it used? Better heads(ported+polished)(LS6), dyno-tuned, lower gears? All of these things would give you better than stock performance and not be readily apparent.
    Last edited by LS1_TA_2002; 04-28-2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: typo

  13. #53
    Impounded MikeSomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420

    Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

    I've heard of several cases of stock LS1's getting at least 1-2 car lengths on the Goats. I found one on a highway, I was just pulling out from a light doing 30mph, & he got next to me and jumped on it. He was a car ahead of me when I hit it. I didn't pull him in, but he wasn't going anywhere... Might of been a different race if I was a M6 or we went at the same time. (DAMN, I need a stall!)

  14. #54
    Member Speeddemon24_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    112

    Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    Being a first year ('98) LS1 F-body is it possible that you car is not stock? Did you buy it used? Better heads(ported+polished)(LS6), dyno-tuned, lower gears? All of these things would give you better than stock performance and not be readily apparent.
    It is completely stock. The guy I bought it from was the original owner. He was very quarre about the car. He told me he was not going to sell it to any one who was going to do mods on the car. I told him I was not going to do any mods just so I could buy it! The car was completely stock right down to the california emissions. I put the SLP Loudmouth on it and that's all that is done to the car. I even have every service record that was ever performed on the car. I know there has been no other work done to the car.

  15. #55
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    i dont care what anyone says...a stock ls2 goat vs. a stock ls1 f-bod..ls6 intake or not...the goats def out on top from a roll, every race, period
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

  16. #56
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    i dont care what anyone says...a stock ls2 goat vs. a stock ls1 f-bod..ls6 intake or not...the goats def out on top from a roll, every race, period
    dr. Gonzo is right.
    i belive i said that too.

  17. #57
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    The only real way to find out is find one to play with. I have not been lucky enough to come accross one yet, but the summer is still young.

  18. #58
    Member Speeddemon24_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    112

    Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    i dont care what anyone says...a stock ls2 goat vs. a stock ls1 f-bod..ls6 intake or not...the goats def out on top from a roll, every race, period
    Well I outran him period

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    dr. Gonzo is right.
    i belive i said that too.
    Like I said I outran him must have been my day... And by the way make up your mind............


    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i have a quick question. why is it that im hearing alot of talk about the ls2 not being as big of a beast or as good or as fast as the ls1? they are very similar excepts for a few things (more cubes) and beyond that i know they arent that much different. the ls2 has 50 more hp depending on application. how is it that it isnt that much better? we should embrace it.....

    moving on, the goat is heavy, and the f body from a roll is a beast. why? i dont know, who cares.

    the 97 t/a of your friends will get ass raped by you becsause of the weight difference plus horsepower gain from the lt1 to the ls1.

    there are alot of things the ls1 outperforms that it seemingly shouldnt. im too tired to run through the technical reasoning behind the ls1's triumph, but just be prepared to get pleasantly suprised with each passing day in the drivers seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i didnt see that, so i stand corrected Dr. Gonzo

    but i will say that there is more than 100 somethin pounds, i know it aint much, but....
    and if we knew cam specs we could make a better judgement on the hp to the wheels. i doubt if he pulls on the lt from a roll its getting 400...
    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    drivers race. i tested this theory. i wasnt too impressed. but when the ls2 is opened up alittle, maybe a grand or two worth of exhaust and gears....then its a different story. throw a cam into the mix and you can wave the f bodies good bye..... until theyre modded atleast...
    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i really think you need to specify. if you had all the bolt ons and you only made 328 to the wheels something is missing from this story. and of course it has different heads, cam, and throttle body, if it didnt it would be an ls1 right? the exhaust set up is basically the same, the heads and cam is basically the same. there is more cubes but the overall build of the block is the same basic principle. the ls2 is better because it replaced the ls1, it would have to be. an ls2 in a goat is where this argument is stemming from because they just dont walk an f body like they should. theres only one explanation for that.....
    Like I Said you need to make up your mind because you have done nothing but contradict yourself in this whole post.........no matter which side of the fence you fall off of. I still outran the 2006 GTO LS2 with my 1998 LS1 Z28. And I out ran the 1997 H/C TA. As a matter of a fact I outran him again and he just installed Longtube headers on the TA. This time without a passenger and I outran him by about 3 CL this time from a roll.

  19. #59
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon24_7 View Post







    Like I Said you need to make up your mind because you have done nothing but contradict yourself in this whole post.........no matter which side of the fence you fall off of. I still outran the 2006 GTO LS2 with my 1998 LS1 Z28. And I out ran the 1997 H/C TA. As a matter of a fact I outran him again and he just installed Longtube headers on the TA. This time without a passenger and I outran him by about 3 CL this time from a roll.
    i didnt contradict myself. i said that the ls2 is a better motor. the ls2 IN THE GTO is not a true testament to that engines potential because of the goats weight. which is why, like i said, an f body can run with one. wow, you outran a goat... ive done it too and i know why it happened. props must be given to both sides here, and im not on the fence about anything. you think you could outrun a c6? because the last i checked that also had the ls2. why would it ass rape both of our cars???? weight difference.

    you have an ls1, and your suprised because you have probably beaten things you shouldnt have. i went through the same thing. im in awe of the power of my z28. but if there was a ls2 for cheap, id grab it up....

    and put her in the f body!!!!
    oh great intentions, ive got the best of interventions...

    Missouri and Central IL members come in!!!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f26/missouri-muscle-central-il-come-48861/

  20. #60
    Member Speeddemon24_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    112

    Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i didnt contradict myself. i said that the ls2 is a better motor. the ls2 IN THE GTO is not a true testament to that engines potential because of the goats weight. which is why, like i said, an f body can run with one. wow, you outran a goat... ive done it too and i know why it happened. props must be given to both sides here, and im not on the fence about anything. you think you could outrun a c6? because the last i checked that also had the ls2. why would it ass rape both of our cars???? weight difference.

    you have an ls1, and your suprised because you have probably beaten things you shouldnt have. i went through the same thing. im in awe of the power of my z28. but if there was a ls2 for cheap, id grab it up....

    and put her in the f body!!!!
    [/U][/B]

    To Start I never said and you can check if you like.... that I could outrun anything with an LS2....that is a stupid ASSumption the C6 has the LS2 with 400 hp and can run mid to low 12's.... We were talking about the GTO with the LS2 with 400 hp and it runs mid to low 13's..... That is alot of weight difference between the C6 and the GTO... thus the time difference. Like I said I out ran a GTO LS2 thats it not a C6 a Viper or a F16. Not trying to impress anyone on this forum. Just suprised that I outran my buddies GTO that ALL.

    And you were riding the fence.....one post you say.......

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    the goat is heavy, and the f body from a roll is a beast. why? i dont know, who cares.
    And.....

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    drivers race. i tested this theory. i wasnt too impressed.
    And.....

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    an ls2 in a goat is where this argument is stemming from because they just dont walk an f body like they should. theres only one explanation for that.....
    And then you Fell on the other side of the fence and Said....

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    but an ls2 gto from a roll with probably beat a stock f body. thats just the way the ball rolls. i think we can all agree that we would take an ls2 anyday of the week end of story.
    And.....

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackz-lt1
    i dont care what anyone says...a stock ls2 goat vs. a stock ls1 f-bod..ls6 intake or not...the goats def out on top from a roll, every race, period
    and your response.......

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    dr. Gonzo is right.
    i belive i said that too.
    So as you can see you have done nothing but contradict yourself... So just remember I said GTO not C6 or Viper or F16's.... OK

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •