Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 77

LS1 Vs. LS2

This is a discussion on LS1 Vs. LS2 within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Good kill! LS1's and LS2's...

  1. #21
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Good kill! LS1's and LS2's

  2. #22
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    gets me every time.....
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

  3. #23
    Member Speeddemon24_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    112

    Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    ahh i knew it couldnt have been tuned, a h/c car w/o a tune is different from night and day
    Just to let you know the weight is a little different because his 97 TA is a convertible. And I agree that if his car was tuned it might would be different until then he can watch my tail lights. My car may be a factory freak!!! He said that he has out ran a couple SS and that he thought that my Z is faster than either one of them...

  4. #24
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon24_7 View Post
    Just to let you know the weight is a little different because his 97 TA is a convertible. And I agree that if his car was tuned it might would be different until then he can watch my tail lights. My car may be a factory freak!!! He said that he has out ran a couple SS and that he thought that my Z is faster than either one of them...
    yes a vert is heavier so i hear ya...but a tuned h/c lt1...factory freak or not, will hand you your ass...because once we fix our crappy stock heads which flow worth a shit, its a whole different story...if you put a h/c lt1 and h/c ls1 with the same flowing heads and cam specs, bolt on for bolt on, their numbers are very similar with the ls1 bein on top bout 30rwhp...but from what i hear, it def sounds like you are a factory freak...especially since that goat had a hard time pullin on you

  5. #25
    Member Speeddemon24_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    112

    Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    yes a vert is heavier so i hear ya...but a tuned h/c lt1...factory freak or not, will hand you your ass...because once we fix our crappy stock heads which flow worth a shit, its a whole different story...if you put a h/c lt1 and h/c ls1 with the same flowing heads and cam specs, bolt on for bolt on, their numbers are very similar with the ls1 bein on top bout 30rwhp...but from what i hear, it def sounds like you are a factory freak...especially since that goat had a hard time pullin on you
    i hear what you are saying. I understand about the lt1's. I have owned a 95
    Z before, so I know about the heads and i agree h/c lt1 should outrun a basically stock ls1. And I appreciate the compliment of the factory freak but the goat didn't pull on me, I pulled on him. But thanks!

  6. #26
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon24_7 View Post
    i hear what you are saying. I understand about the lt1's. I have owned a 95
    Z before, so I know about the heads and i agree h/c lt1 should outrun a basically stock ls1. And I appreciate the compliment of the factory freak but the goat didn't pull on me, I pulled on him. But thanks!
    oh thats what i mean, i know u pulled on the goat, thats why i said u prob are indeed a factory freak,lol...and it doesnt take heads and a cam for a lt1 to take a Stock ls1 dude....my lt1 with my mods, (full bolt ons, no nitrous) can take stock ls1's easy (high 12's)...a h/c lt1 is easily comparable to a cammed ls1

  7. #27
    Member Speeddemon24_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    112

    Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    oh thats what i mean, i know u pulled on the goat, thats why i said u prob are indeed a factory freak,lol...and it doesnt take heads and a cam for a lt1 to take a Stock ls1 dude....my lt1 with my mods, (full bolt ons, no nitrous) can take stock ls1's easy (high 12's)...a h/c lt1 is easily comparable to a cammed ls1
    Never said lt1 had to have h/c to outrun me to start with. but just bolt ons lt1 will probably have a hard time doing so! For as i said earlier, i had a 95 Z with bolt ons and it ran 13.40s @ 105 mph and my ls1 is definately stronger than my 95 was

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    48
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    The LS2 is a better motor, no doubt. But that much better, hardly..... The LS1 is a bad ass motor for bein a 5.7. The only real difference between them is 14 CI.....
    I really think you need to read up on the differences between the LS1 and LS2 because there is a lot more then just displacement. Letís see real quick different heads, cam, intake, TB etc.... I use to have a 2000 WS6 and all the basic bolt on and was sitting at 328 rwhp bone stock my LS2 GTO was 349 rwhp. I have never heard of any LS1 cars with intake,headers, catback and tune doing 390 plus rwhp. I know the LS1 is a great motor but to say the LS2 is hardly better is not accurate at all.

  9. #29
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Nobody is bashing the LS2. It is basically an LS1 with more cubes, and a better breathing exhaust and intake setup. It IS a better motor, but only from the slight displacement increase and better bolt-ons from the factory.

  10. #30
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon24_7 View Post
    Never said lt1 had to have h/c to outrun me to start with. but just bolt ons lt1 will probably have a hard time doing so! For as i said earlier, i had a 95 Z with bolt ons and it ran 13.40s @ 105 mph and my ls1 is definately stronger than my 95 was
    well see thats the thing, when i say bolt ons, i mean full....i know at least a dozen people with lt1's with just cai, lt headers, exhaust, and a pcm tune that have run 13.4 or better...basically the 13.5-13.2 range...now add some suspension, dr's, gears, stall, tb, and your in high 12's all day...but i agree, 80-90% of lt1's you see on the street are stock, or just have i/e and usually near 100k or more and arent runnin near 100%...they give us a bad rep,lol...

  11. #31
    Member Speeddemon24_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    112

    Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    well see thats the thing, when i say bolt ons, i mean full....i know at least a dozen people with lt1's with just cai, lt headers, exhaust, and a pcm tune that have run 13.4 or better...basically the 13.5-13.2 range...now add some suspension, dr's, gears, stall, tb, and your in high 12's all day...but i agree, 80-90% of lt1's you see on the street are stock, or just have i/e and usually near 100k or more and arent runnin near 100%...they give us a bad rep,lol...
    I agree I love the lt1's and I have outrun quite a few ls1's with my 95 Z but all im saying is my 98 Z feels alot stronger than the 95 Z so I guess I will have to make a trip to the local dragstrip and see what the 98 can do and I will report back...

    [B]1998 Camaro Z28 [B]M6 SLP Air Lid, K&N, SLP Smooth Bellow, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, MSD wires, NGK Plugs, LS6 Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywheel, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Skip-Shift, Clear Corner & Side Markers, White Face Gauges, 15% tint & 18" Chrome Y2K's with 285's

  12. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    48
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Nobody is bashing the LS2. It is basically an LS1 with more cubes, and a better breathing exhaust and intake setup. It IS a better motor, but only from the slight displacement increase and better bolt-ons from the factory.

    Never said anyone was bashing it but since when is heads and cam a bolt on?

  13. #33
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon24_7 View Post
    I agree I love the lt1's and I have outrun quite a few ls1's with my 95 Z but all im saying is my 98 Z feels alot stronger than the 95 Z so I guess I will have to make a trip to the local dragstrip and see what the 98 can do and I will report back...
    yeah i hear ya, that "ls1 pull" is pretty sick...and since u took that goat u prob are doin 13.4 (ur lt1's time) or better...my ls1 goat feels reallll nice when above 60mph

  14. #34
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Robw_29 View Post
    I really think you need to read up on the differences between the LS1 and LS2 because there is a lot more then just displacement. Letís see real quick different heads, cam, intake, TB etc.... I use to have a 2000 WS6 and all the basic bolt on and was sitting at 328 rwhp bone stock my LS2 GTO was 349 rwhp. I have never heard of any LS1 cars with intake,headers, catback and tune doing 390 plus rwhp. I know the LS1 is a great motor but to say the LS2 is hardly better is not accurate at all.
    i really think you need to specify. if you had all the bolt ons and you only made 328 to the wheels something is missing from this story. and of course it has different heads, cam, and throttle body, if it didnt it would be an ls1 right? the exhaust set up is basically the same, the heads and cam is basically the same. there is more cubes but the overall build of the block is the same basic principle. the ls2 is better because it replaced the ls1, it would have to be. an ls2 in a goat is where this argument is stemming from because they just dont walk an f body like they should. theres only one explanation for that.....

  15. #35
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i really think you need to specify. if you had all the bolt ons and you only made 328 to the wheels something is missing from this story. and of course it has different heads, cam, and throttle body, if it didnt it would be an ls1 right? the exhaust set up is basically the same, the heads and cam is basically the same. there is more cubes but the overall build of the block is the same basic principle. the ls2 is better because it replaced the ls1, it would have to be. an ls2 in a goat is where this argument is stemming from because they just dont walk an f body like they should. theres only one explanation for that.....
    i thought their heads and cam is different?? i know one thing though, goats have true dual exhausts, so it does flow better

    on lsd

  16. #36
    Bolt-On Pimp ImpalaSSpeed96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    360

    Black
    01 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Robw_29 View Post
    I really think you need to read up on the differences between the LS1 and LS2 because there is a lot more then just displacement. Letís see real quick different heads, cam, intake, TB etc.... I use to have a 2000 WS6 and all the basic bolt on and was sitting at 328 rwhp bone stock my LS2 GTO was 349 rwhp. I have never heard of any LS1 cars with intake,headers, catback and tune doing 390 plus rwhp. I know the LS1 is a great motor but to say the LS2 is hardly better is not accurate at all.
    Dont forget the sodium filled valves to lighten the motor!! The LS2 is a better motor obviously. That much better, dont think so. If someone asked me about going fast and said, hey should I get a LS1 car or a LS2 goat I would tell them to get the LS1 car. Someone asked me LS1 goat or an LS2 goat, no brainer there..... Its relative to the car setup really. The LS1 goat performs piss poor IMO. They're really no better than high 13s stock. The LS2s really wake that car up though, Ill give you that..... I'm still waitin to pick a fight w/ my buddies stock(we think, bought it used so it might be programmed) 05 goat. I know I ran behind one on Easter and he couldnt get away from me so I'm pretty happy w/ my LS2 and minor mods

  17. #37
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Robw_29 View Post
    Never said anyone was bashing it but since when is heads and cam a bolt on?
    Refresh my memory, what is the difference between the H/C on an LS1 and the LS2?

    (Besides the obvious fact that the cylinder diameter is larger and the heads are designed to accomodate)

  18. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    48
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i really think you need to specify. if you had all the bolt ons and you only made 328 to the wheels something is missing from this story. and of course it has different heads, cam, and throttle body, if it didnt it would be an ls1 right? the exhaust set up is basically the same, the heads and cam is basically the same. there is more cubes but the overall build of the block is the same basic principle. the ls2 is better because it replaced the ls1, it would have to be. an ls2 in a goat is where this argument is stemming from because they just dont walk an f body like they should. theres only one explanation for that.....
    Well if you will actually read my post I never said all bolt ons I said basic bolt ons. You can argue with me all you want but what was said that promoted my post was the LS2 is hardly better then the LS1 and the only real difference was 14 cubes and that is just not correct and you know it. So that is why I posted.

  19. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    48
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Refresh my memory, what is the difference between the H/C on an LS1 and the LS2?

    (Besides the obvious fact that the cylinder diameter is larger and the heads are designed to accomodate)
    Do you not know that the LS2 basically has the same heads and cam as the LS6? Which are different then the LS1 heads and cam.

    Okay what is the difference between a stock LS1 and a H/C LS1? Is there not a difference? I think think there is a huge difference. Here is a link with most if not all the differences between the 2 motors.

    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._look_feature/
    Last edited by Robw_29; 04-26-2007 at 05:49 AM.

  20. #40
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Looks like the LS2 is basically a bigger cube LS6 motor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •