Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LS1 Vs. LS2

Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

LS1 Vs. LS2

Im new to all this posting stuff. And I dont get to get on here as much as I would like. So if I dont respond real fast sorry. But anyway I have a 1998 Z28 M6 Completely Stock except for SLP Loudmouth. I have never ran at the dragstrip with this car. But I can Launch the car really well with the radials. My friend has a 1997 Trans Am with head work, cam, stall, tranny worked over, RamAir, cat-back exhaust, and Nittos. From a dead stop he would kill me, but from a 20 mph roll he couldn't come by me and as I slammed it into 4th I started to walk off from him and I had a passenger. My friend also has a 2006 GTO with the LS2 400hp we went from a roll in 3rd gear a about 60 mph and again he couldn't come by me and I was just wondering if this was normal for the LS1 Camaro's to be this fast against the GTO's? But either way I know he can drive so to me it was the car. And it felt really good to me

Black
    01 Camaro SS

I may not be the best suited to answer this but I believe a roll from 60 is not the best spot for a goat. The LS2 motor is not that much better than the LS1's IMHO...... Most cars are putting up fairly equal numbers. W/ some simple mods on your LS1 you can walk your buddy in his goat if he's stock fairly easily. I would definitely say though that a race w/ a GTO in your Z is definitely going to be a drivers race. That goat is about I believe also about 500lbs heavier than your Z if I'm not mistaken.
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Artic White

It is like 300lbs. we checked and the GTO his K&N CAI and Cat-Back Exhaust.

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    i raced a guy in an 05 GTO at the track with me spinning to a 13.1 and he was stock and ran a 13.9 i was dissapointed in the goat. Ive also ran an 05 LS2 GTO from a 20 roll and put 2CL on him. im not bashing on the goats because i was about 5 min away from buying one before i got my WS6 but after the test drive they just didnt impress me all that much.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon24_7 View Post
    It is like 300lbs. we checked and the GTO his K&N CAI and Cat-Back Exhaust.
    Not really any perf mods for the goat. Supposedly some gains on the exhaust but they intake is supposed to flow fantastic stock. I def think its a drivers race w/ the two. I see lots of stock Z's go mid to low 13s depending on wx. Same w/ LS2 goats.

Artic White

I thought the LS2 GTO would kill me though. My friend cant believe I beat his $30,000 GTO with my 10,000 Camaro Z28. HaHa

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

That's awesome bro! keep killin 'em!

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i have a quick question. why is it that im hearing alot of talk about the ls2 not being as big of a beast or as good or as fast as the ls1? they are very similar excepts for a few things (more cubes) and beyond that i know they arent that much different. the ls2 has 50 more hp depending on application. how is it that it isnt that much better? we should embrace it.....

moving on, the goat is heavy, and the f body from a roll is a beast. why? i dont know, who cares.

the 97 t/a of your friends will get ass raped by you becsause of the weight difference plus horsepower gain from the lt1 to the ls1.

there are alot of things the ls1 outperforms that it seemingly shouldnt. im too tired to run through the technical reasoning behind the ls1's triumph, but just be prepared to get pleasantly suprised with each passing day in the drivers seat.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Im new to all this posting stuff. And I dont get to get on here as much as I would like. So if I dont respond real fast sorry. But anyway I have a 1998 Z28 M6 Completely Stock except for SLP Loudmouth. I have never ran at the dragstrip with this car. But I can Launch the car really well with the radials. My friend has a 1997 Trans Am with head work, cam, stall, tranny worked over, RamAir, cat-back exhaust, and Nittos. From a dead stop he would kill me, but from a 20 mph roll he couldn't come by me and as I slammed it into 4th I started to walk off from him and I had a passenger. My friend also has a 2006 GTO with the LS2 400hp we went from a roll in 3rd gear a about 60 mph and again he couldn't come by me and I was just wondering if this was normal for the LS1 Camaro's to be this fast against the GTO's? But either way I know he can drive so to me it was the car. And it felt really good to me
    for one, a h/c full bolt on lt1 like your friends 97 ta would have 400rwhp+...and considering u having just a cb, u prob got round 310rwhp tops since your a pre-ls6 intake f-bod.....soo he musta not been drivin, the car musta not been tuned, or it wasnt runnin or all 8 cylinders or sumtin def wrong...secondly ls2 goats from a roll would def pull on you, there sssiick from a roll, better than a ls1 and his weight has nothin to do with it
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post

the 97 t/a of your friends will get ass raped by you becsause of the weight difference plus horsepower gain from the lt1 to the ls1.
    weight difference? yeah the whole hundred sumtin pounds,lol...and i dont think u seen, but that lt1 was h/c and bolt ons (400 rwhp)

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    for one, a h/c full bolt on lt1 like your friends 97 ta would have 400rwhp+...and considering u having just a cb, u prob got round 310rwhp tops since your a pre-ls6 intake f-bod.....soo he musta not been drivin, the car musta not been tuned, or it wasnt runnin or all 8 cylinders or sumtin def wrong...secondly ls2 goats from a roll would def pull on you, there sssiick from a roll, better than a ls1 and his weight has nothin to do with it
    Real quick, I personally dont think the LS2 in the goat will out perform a LS1 from a roll. Secondly, what do you mean his weight doesnt have anything to do with it? Why do you think my TBSS will only run a high 13, low 14 compared to the goats runnin low 13s? Its cause my ride wieghs about 1k more pounds. Weight has a lot to do with it.......

Artic White

Yeah the 97 TA hasn't been tuned yet, but regardless I still out ran him. And sorry to bust your bubble but I out ran the 300LB heavier goat also.

Pewter
    2000 z28

weight difference? yeah the whole hundred sumtin pounds,lol...and i dont think u seen, but that lt1 was h/c and bolt ons (400 rwhp)
    i didnt see that, so i stand corrected Dr. Gonzo

but i will say that there is more than 100 somethin pounds, i know it aint much, but....
    and if we knew cam specs we could make a better judgement on the hp to the wheels. i doubt if he pulls on the lt from a roll its getting 400...

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    Real quick, I personally dont think the LS2 in the goat will out perform a LS1 from a roll. Secondly, what do you mean his weight doesnt have anything to do with it? Why do you think my TBSS will only run a high 13, low 14 compared to the goats runnin low 13s? Its cause my ride wieghs about 1k more pounds. Weight has a lot to do with it.......
    drivers race. i tested this theory. i wasnt too impressed. but when the ls2 is opened up alittle, maybe a grand or two worth of exhaust and gears....then its a different story. throw a cam into the mix and you can wave the f bodies good bye..... until theyre modded atleast...

Black
    01 Camaro SS

The LS2 is a better motor, no doubt. But that much better, hardly..... The LS1 is a bad ass motor for bein a 5.7. The only real difference between them is 14 CI..... They both respond extremely well to mods. I should be going 12.70s in my TBSS when I do the trans and stall w/ a few other minor mods. To me thats really impressive in a damn SUV.... It would be pretty freakin close w/ the LS1 in it though. Best stock time I have seen in the LS2 goat was a 12.9 on DR's. Best time I saw in a LS1 was a conv WS6 go 13.0s on street tires. I made him open his hood to show me it was stock and yes, it was stock all the way down to the exhaust. Dont ask me how, factory freak is all I can say. And LS1 and LS2 goat is a drivers race..... Test my LS2 out on the street though..... Traction FTMFW

Pewter
    2000 z28

The LS2 is a better motor, no doubt. But that much better, hardly..... The LS1 is a bad ass motor for bein a 5.7. The only real difference between them is 14 CI..... They both respond extremely well to mods. I should be going 12.70s in my TBSS when I do the trans and stall w/ a few other minor mods. To me thats really impressive in a damn SUV.... It would be pretty freakin close w/ the LS1 in it though. Best stock time I have seen in the LS2 goat was a 12.9 on DR's. Best time I saw in a LS1 was a conv WS6 go 13.0s on street tires. I made him open his hood to show me it was stock and yes, it was stock all the way down to the exhaust. Dont ask me how, factory freak is all I can say. And LS1 and LS2 goat is a drivers race..... Test my LS2 out on the street though..... Traction FTMFW
    maybe 12.9 in a gto. they are heavy, you said it yourself. and in regards to your trailblazer (which is fucking sweet just to let you know) i believe from what i read about the set up and what i know about autos is that you got shafted. a 4 speed? fuck!!! it should have been the 6 speed. thats just plain stupid, especially when the jeep srt 8 is putting out 425 with a 6 speed auto and running 13.40s. they should have treated you better.

but an ls2 vette will go way faster than high 12s. try low low 12s with drag radials easy....

Black
    01 Camaro SS

maybe 12.9 in a gto. they are heavy, you said it yourself. and in regards to your trailblazer (which is fucking sweet just to let you know) i believe from what i read about the set up and what i know about autos is that you got shafted. a 4 speed? fuck!!! it should have been the 6 speed. thats just plain stupid, especially when the jeep srt 8 is putting out 425 with a 6 speed auto and running 13.40s. they should have treated you better.

but an ls2 vette will go way faster than high 12s. try low low 12s with drag radials easy....

Thanks for the props, I like it for what it is. A SUV that hauls balls!!! Just ask the dude that was drivin the mustang the other day probably sayin to himself WTF a SUV just smoked me?????

We got screwed and we didnt. Yes the GC hauls balls but its also got major downfalls as well. Their AWD sucks ass. 5/95? WTH is that? At least ours is 30/70 so the traction is there, unlike the GC guys. Also, I can tow crap when I need to. Big crap w/ just a tranny cooler upgrade. The GC, dont think so.... Not with them exhaust pipes where they're at!!!! Also, some extra HP from the E-fans they got compared to our clutch fan to allow for that towing factor. Our seats suck whereas the GC's dont but thats not a biggie. I also get hella better mpg than the GC do so whatta bout their 6sp Those things get horrible gas mileage and ours are bad enough. Not to mention, lots o mods for the LS2. Not so much for that Hemi....... You aint goin real fast in that thing without some major motor work. its a lot cheaper to go faster in my whip than it is theirs. Not to mention 10 grand more than mine just to begin with!!! Take your few tenths for 10 grand, I'll make it up for one!!!

Pewter
    2000 z28

Thanks for the props, I like it for what it is. A SUV that hauls balls!!! Just ask the dude that was drivin the mustang the other day probably sayin to himself WTF a SUV just smoked me?????

We got screwed and we didnt. Yes the GC hauls balls but its also got major downfalls as well. Their AWD sucks ass. 5/95? WTH is that? At least ours is 30/70 so the traction is there, unlike the GC guys. Also, I can tow crap when I need to. Big crap w/ just a tranny cooler upgrade. The GC, dont think so.... Not with them exhaust pipes where they're at!!!! Also, some extra HP from the E-fans they got compared to our clutch fan to allow for that towing factor. Our seats suck whereas the GC's dont but thats not a biggie. I also get hella better mpg than the GC do so whatta bout their 6sp Those things get horrible gas mileage and ours are bad enough. Not to mention, lots o mods for the LS2. Not so much for that Hemi....... You aint goin real fast in that thing without some major motor work. its a lot cheaper to go faster in my whip than it is theirs. Not to mention 10 grand more than mine just to begin with!!! Take your few tenths for 10 grand, I'll make it up for one!!!
    good post! your good my friend.

im was talkin bout the weight of a lt1 f bod to a ls1 fbod...(not that big of a difference) and yeah the goat is def heavier 300lbs...but the ls2's put down mid 340's rwhp...and that 98 with exhaust is at 310-315 tops...soo 30rwhp (300lbs) and the weight difference kinda evens itself out, plus from a roll, yes a ls2 is better, why wouldnt it be? lol.. it has a better flowing valvetrain...im not dissin ls1's, i love em, i have one, but a ls2 IS BETTER! lol
    Yeah the 97 TA hasn't been tuned yet, but regardless I still out ran him. And sorry to bust your bubble but I out ran the 300LB heavier goat also.
    ahh i knew it couldnt have been tuned, a h/c car w/o a tune is different from night and day
    i didnt see that, so i stand corrected Dr. Gonzo

but i will say that there is more than 100 somethin pounds, i know it aint much, but....
    and if we knew cam specs we could make a better judgement on the hp to the wheels. i doubt if he pulls on the lt from a roll its getting 400...
    ahh its my attorney, ive been lookin for you, ive...been without sleep for 80 hours, beyond the effects of simple fatigue....my adrenaline reserve glands are burning out.....aaannd im staring right in the face of a complete psychotic freakout.....ahahahah lol

Pewter
    2000 z28

gets me every time.....

Thread Information