Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LS1 vs. 1.8T

This is a discussion on LS1 vs. 1.8T within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by tonyjnjz "I know it was an LS1 because of the 5.7 badge on it. Call me crazy...but ...

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    "I know it was an LS1 because of the 5.7 badge on it. Call me crazy...but that seems a good indication."
    makes u sound like u dont know what your talking about......guess your crazy
    I am. Totally crazy. So when is this race set to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stone View Post
    I was convinced to come back here to explain.

I wish you guys would just be civil, but I'm guessing that is too much to ask for...

Anyway, this is the write-up for the stock turbo. You're getting the insight on how easy it is for me to get 260 whp/ 320lb-ft on a stock turbo.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2901711

If you know anything about rally cars, which is what I modeled my car after, than you'll know that when I claim a hp # of 200 whp, I'm probably pushing a torque of 230+ or more.

THIS amount of torque, plus the fact that I'm NOT a GLI, is why I can keep up. I'm 3000 with me inside. Light, considering. (5-speed, no sunroof, no bodykit, no leather, bare bones...)

Plus, I have a very light weight unsprung mass. So, I don't really know what turbo lag is.

It was adressed to me that I blew you off. I didn't. I told you that it was snub nose, manual tranny, Ls1. I know it was an LS1 because of the 5.7 badge on it. Call me crazy...but that seems a good indication.

For those who can't think of anything better to do than call names, YOU are representing this forum. I see that you have warnings against you, so that tells me a lot.

My next project will be a Vortech S/C 6.0 Silverado, but I won't be sharing that with you gents. Too sour a taste in my mouth...
    thank you, now was that so hard? I was only giving you a hard time cause you were refusing to respond...to your own thread. now how come you couldnt think of anything better to do than to sit there watching your own thread and not participate...?
    again, nice kill

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i smoked a GTI similar to his,

looks like the guy in the SS took the first pic of his car

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stone
    I wish you guys would just be civil, but I'm guessing that is too much to ask for...
    Civil, as in, initially posting your thread, then immediately embellishing on how you "won't be back" to respond when the crap starts hitting the fan...?

I know it was an LS1 because of the 5.7 badge on it. Call me crazy, but that seems a good indication....
    As already pointed out, the LS1's had no badging identifying itself as a 5.7, unless the owner of that LS1 installed it himself. Unlikely though.

For those who can't think of anything better to do than call names, YOU are representing this forum....
    Yes, they are representing this forum, and they enjoy weeding out all of the real races, from the made up ones. I personally didn't doubt your story (despite my request that you share your track times never being satisfied), that is, until this "5.7" badging came into play...

My next project will be a Vortech S/C 6.0 Silverado, but I won't be sharing that with you gents...
    Well then, that's your loss. There's a wealth of information being shared among our enthusiasts, and if your going to act like some little baby because of some childish name calling, your definitely in the wrong hobby....

One last time. Your times, please, with sugar on top? I don't need dyno numbers, nor do I need to see a graph, I want track numbers. Otherwise, we'll all just assume that the driver of that '89 Iroc, <cough> I mean LS1, simply eased his foot off of the throttle....

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    looks like the guy in the SS took the first pic of his car...
    Either him, or the local street sweeper.

Click for full size

By the way, I was just joking Mr. Stone. I now know how sensitive you are....

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I was convinced to come back here to explain.

Anyway, this is the write-up for the stock turbo. You're getting the insight on how easy it is for me to get 260 whp/ 320lb-ft on a stock turbo.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2901711

If you know anything about rally cars, which is what I modeled my car after, than you'll know that when I claim a hp # of 200 whp, I'm probably pushing a torque of 230+ or more.

THIS amount of torque, plus the fact that I'm NOT a GLI, is why I can keep up. I'm 3000 with me inside. Light, considering. (5-speed, no sunroof, no bodykit, no leather, bare bones...)

Plus, I have a very light weight unsprung mass. So, I don't really know what turbo lag is.

It was adressed to me that I blew you off. I didn't. I told you that it was snub nose, manual tranny, Ls1. I know it was an LS1 because of the 5.7 badge on it. Call me crazy...but that seems a good indication.

For those who can't think of anything better to do than call names, YOU are representing this forum. I see that you have warnings against you, so that tells me a lot.

My next project will be a Vortech S/C 6.0 Silverado, but I won't be sharing that with you gents. Too sour a taste in my mouth...
    3000 pounds with YOU in it? How light are you? That car should be between 3100-3200 stock. Assuming you are 150 pounds, that means you found a way to lose 250-350 lbs. or more of weight. What were these eliminations of excess weight? That's pretty impressive considering the pics you posted of the car. 3000 pounds total in a 260hp car (11.53 pounds per hp).

My Z28 just comes in under 3400 pounds by a few pounds, and then I sit 275 pounds in the driver's seat. That's approximately 3675 pounds total in a 350 rwhp car (10.5 pounds per hp). Now dead stock (the under-rated GM 305 hp rating) with a 150 driver, you still have 11.7 lbs per hp, which makes a pretty even match on paper, but those hp ratings are notoriously inaccurate.

11.53 (you) vs. 10.5 (me) weight/hp ratio. My car is only lightly modded with a few tricks like a ported TB, free mods, exhaust (no headers yet), etc., and I'm a big guy.

No disrespect, but your numbers don't support your contention. And lower-rpm torque is the master in this regard, which goes to the LS1. You have to spool up to get it. A single turbo is not putting out good torque at low rpm's, unless you have more money in it than the entire car. The LS1 has gobs of torque from the git.

Still sounds like you have a nice VW though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

You have a nice looking Jetta and one that will run considerably quicker than one just off of the showroom floor.

Based on some of the numbers provided above, I have no doubt in my mind that your car would fare pretty well against a stock 4th generation LT1 Camaro SS. I find it difficult to believe that you would fare so well against a 4th Generation LS1 Camaro SS.

I think all of us might be more willing to consider your claims if you would be willing to provide any times you have from the track.....1/4 mile ET, trap speed, etc.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I am. Totally crazy. So when is this race set to go?
    Whenever Tonik gets a video camera or you get a video camera

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I raced my friends cammed 99 GTI 2.slow 5 speed yesterday.

He pulled up next to me and slowly pulled away while I coasted in 6th. I didn't tell him I wasn't racing.

Does that count for anything??

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I raced my friends cammed 99 GTI 2.slow 5 speed yesterday.

He pulled up next to me and slowly pulled away while I coasted in 6th. I didn't tell him I wasn't racing.

Does that count for anything??
    LMAO...sounds about right

Lakewood
    You would need to put atleast $25,000 - $30,000 into that jetta just to beat a stock LS1, im calling BS. Remember the engine is only a 1.8L so its going to cost about 10 times more to get power out of it than a 5.7L V8. I think you raced a stock V6 to tell you the truth.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^ thats a little extreem 5 grand would do it

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

its all about knowing how and what to do

put a twin turbo on it 6-8k and just about any 2.0L import would be pretty fast.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

right but the catch the ricers dont realize is that when they do heavly mod their 4cyl's they arent reliable like our modded ls1's

true that.

Lakewood
    You can't twin turbo a 4Cyl.

Black
    '99 SS

Sorry, I'm a little north of Dallas. I was answering the "There must be someone stock" part of your comment, not the Houston part.

Sorry, I suck.

But, if you're really intent on the race I guess we may be able to meet halfway? Its still a hour and a half each way for us. Maybe on a sunny day? Wouldn't mind going out of my way for a good race. I live in Plano and all the nice cars are driven by old guys that dont want to take their precious porsche over 2krpm.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

do it man

Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood View Post
    You can't twin turbo a 4Cyl.
    single turbo or twin can be done on some 4 cyl cars, it all depends on what the compression ratio on the engine and how much boost you put on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information