Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Killed an SRT-6

This is a discussion on Killed an SRT-6 within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by T/A Barracus What mods do you have you done to your WS6? I own both a 2001 ...

  1. #21
    Member adam3566's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Janesville,Wisconsin
    Posts
    880

    black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A Barracus View Post
    What mods do you have you done to your WS6?
    I own both a 2001 WS6 and an SRT-6 as a daily driver and I ran a 13.2 at 107.8 in my LS1 with a lid and a cutout and 13.3 at 108 in my SRT-6. So it should be a good match up. I've never actually raced another LS1 in my SRT-6 but I did edge out an E46 M3. (1/2 car length)

    The main problem with the SRT-6 is that the throttle response & tranny sucks and with no manual offered. If the SRT-6 had better throttle response and tranny it would easily run mid to high 12's.
    A 13.3 in your srt6 at 108? Not buying it. Road and track busted a 13.4. Not buying it one bit and an e46 runs a 13.3 according to them... Sure. Next your gonna say you can beat a c6, if thats the case give me a call ill run ya.

  2. #22
    i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    15

    SOM
    01 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    A 13.3 in your srt6 at 108? Not buying it. Road and track busted a 13.4. Not buying it one bit and an e46 runs a 13.3 according to them... Sure. Next your gonna say you can beat a c6, if thats the case give me a call ill run ya.

    What?
    What are you saying? That Road & Track has the best times that a car can run? He!! if that's the case then my LS1 must not be able to run better than like a 13.6 because that is around what the shmucks at Road & Track posted for an LS1.
    Yet in the real world....much better drivers like Evan Smith are able to run 12.8 in an LS1, but they must be lying because Road & Track only posts a 13.6. Since when did people on this board start magazine racing. Back when I used to come here it was frowned upon and only ricers and kids magazine raced.

  3. #23
    Member adam3566's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Janesville,Wisconsin
    Posts
    880

    black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A Barracus View Post
    What?
    What are you saying? That Road & Track has the best times that a car can run? He!! if that's the case then my LS1 must not be able to run better than like a 13.6 because that is around what the shmucks at Road & Track posted for an LS1.
    Yet in the real world....much better drivers like Evan Smith are able to run 12.8 in an LS1, but they must be lying because Road & Track only posts a 13.6. Since when did people on this board start magazine racing. Back when I used to come here it was frowned upon and only ricers and kids magazine raced.
    Just saying a 13.3 out of an srt6 seems pretty quick, I have only raced one and it seemed as if it was parked...

  4. #24
    i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    15

    SOM
    01 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Just saying a 13.3 out of an srt6 seems pretty quick, I have only raced one and it seemed as if it was parked...
    Must have been a regular 215hp Crossfire or a bad driver. The SRT-6 has 350 HP and only weighs around 3200 pounds, but like I said has a crappy tranny.

    Also, why does 13.3 sound too quick for an SRT-6 when you post that even the shmucks at Road & Track can pull a 13.4? A .1 second difference is almost nothing. Heck even I when at the track hot lapping can sometimes run differences of .5+. One run I can run a 13.4 and the very next run pull a 13.7 or even higher. A lot of factors can play into the times like temperature, elevation, weight of the driver (I only weigh 135), track conditions (ie not enough VHT on the track) etc.

    And the Crossfire you raced was that in your C6, because of course you are going to waste an SRT-6 in a C6.
    Last edited by T/A Barracus; 02-07-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Just looked up the weight of the SRT-6 and it is 3200 pounds not 3100.

  5. #25
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A Barracus View Post
    Must have been a regular 215hp Crossfire or a bad driver. The SRT-6 has 350 HP and only weighs around 3200 pounds, but like I said has a crappy tranny.

    srt6 has 330hp

  6. #26
    i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    15

    SOM
    01 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    srt6 has 330hp
    No, that is what Chrysler advertises for the SRT-6, but it has the exact same engine as the Mercedes SLK32 AMG, which is 350. Like GM did with under-rating the Fbodies at only 320Hp Mercedes made Chrysler do the same with the SRT-6.

  7. #27
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A Barracus View Post
    No, that is what Chrysler advertises for the SRT-6, but it has the exact same engine as the Mercedes SLK32 AMG, which is 350. Like GM did with under-rating the Fbodies at only 320Hp Mercedes made Chrysler do the same with the SRT-6.
    ive never heard of chrysler underating the srt6, everything ive seen says 330

    but hey im not a srt expert and this isnt a srt forum...

  8. #28
    i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    15

    SOM
    01 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    ive never heard of chrysler underating the srt6, everything ive seen says 330

    but hey im not a srt expert and this isnt a srt forum...
    And everything you read on the Fbody says it is only 320, but that doesn't mean that it only has 320.

    Here is a dyno I found with stock numbers vs. numbers with a CAI, and one that is $450 OUCH. You will see the stock numbers at 300rwhp.

    http://www.needswings.com/productimages/srt6caidyno.jpg

  9. #29
    Member adam3566's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Janesville,Wisconsin
    Posts
    880

    black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A Barracus View Post
    Must have been a regular 215hp Crossfire or a bad driver. The SRT-6 has 350 HP and only weighs around 3200 pounds, but like I said has a crappy tranny.

    Also, why does 13.3 sound too quick for an SRT-6 when you post that even the shmucks at Road & Track can pull a 13.4? A .1 second difference is almost nothing. Heck even I when at the track hot lapping can sometimes run differences of .5+. One run I can run a 13.4 and the very next run pull a 13.7 or even higher. A lot of factors can play into the times like temperature, elevation, weight of the driver (I only weigh 135), track conditions (ie not enough VHT on the track) etc.

    And the Crossfire you raced was that in your C6, because of course you are going to waste an SRT-6 in a C6.
    No it was in my T/A, granted it's not stock even close, but it still was a slow overpriced piece of crap (srt 6). That's why there not made anymore. End of story.

  10. #30
    Member jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    186

    2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

    Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    No it was in my T/A, granted it's not stock even close, but it still was a slow overpriced piece of crap (srt 6). That's why there not made anymore. End of story.
    So what are you saying?? They stoped making the Camaro and TA.

  11. #31
    i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    15

    SOM
    01 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    No it was in my T/A, granted it's not stock even close, but it still was a slow overpriced piece of crap (srt 6). That's why there not made anymore. End of story.
    http://www.dragtimes.com/Chrysler--C...ag-Racing.html

    Looks slow to me too... As slow as an LS1 and modified... as slow as your C6.

    However, I do agree that they were way overpriced and would never had bought one at the original prices that they were asking, but I bought mine for $22,000 with only 9000 miles, I've seen 0 mile SRT-6's going for $25,000 at Chrysler dealerships. They are flying out the door at those prices. You basicly get an SLK32 AMG for the price of an SRT-4.

    What makes you say an SRT-6 is a piece of crap? Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but have you ever driven or even been in one? For someone with such a strong opinion you seem to not know crap about the car. Before I call a car a piece of crap I make sure I know enough about the car to justify my opinion.

    I've owned 2 Fbodies (1997 TA and now an 01 WS6) all my other cars are GM's (03 Yukon, 99 Alero) and normally only buy GM cars, but I wanted a new daily driver, saw this car it was cheap, had very low miles, is fast, handles, brakes, and drives great so I bought it, and am not sorry.
    My point is being a GM guy, I still respect other cars, you seem to not.

  12. #32
    Member adam3566's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Janesville,Wisconsin
    Posts
    880

    black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A Barracus View Post
    http://www.dragtimes.com/Chrysler--C...ag-Racing.html

    Looks slow to me too... As slow as an LS1 and modified... as slow as your C6.

    However, I do agree that they were way overpriced and would never had bought one at the original prices that they were asking, but I bought mine for $22,000 with only 9000 miles, I've seen 0 mile SRT-6's going for $25,000 at Chrysler dealerships. They are flying out the door at those prices. You basicly get an SLK32 AMG for the price of an SRT-4.

    What makes you say an SRT-6 is a piece of crap? Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but have you ever driven or even been in one? For someone with such a strong opinion you seem to not know crap about the car. Before I call a car a piece of crap I make sure I know enough about the car to justify my opinion.

    I've owned 2 Fbodies (1997 TA and now an 01 WS6) all my other cars are GM's (03 Yukon, 99 Alero) and normally only buy GM cars, but I wanted a new daily driver, saw this car it was cheap, had very low miles, is fast, handles, brakes, and drives great so I bought it, and am not sorry.
    My point is being a GM guy, I still respect other cars, you seem to not.
    I would agree with you on that price then, but not for the msrp. Yes I have driven one and the gearbox seemed kinda slow with the tiptronic or autoshift if you will call it. Just wasn't impressed with what it was. Ohnestly thought it would pull alot better up top. The reason I said it was a piece of crap is mostly because of the price and the tranny. But if you could find a srt6 with 0 miles for 25k I would call that a hell of a deal. Always thought that had a lot of problems. Could be wrong just always what I heard.

  13. #33
    R/A T/A SS/CETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arkansas/Missouri State Line
    Age
    33
    Posts
    332

    Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

    They do have problems. I just met a guy that owns one and he said it's been in and out of the shop for transmission issues. It only has 18k miles on it, too.

  14. #34
    i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    15

    SOM
    01 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    I would agree with you on that price then, but not for the msrp. Yes I have driven one and the gearbox seemed kinda slow with the tiptronic or autoshift if you will call it. Just wasn't impressed with what it was. Ohnestly thought it would pull alot better up top. The reason I said it was a piece of crap is mostly because of the price and the tranny. But if you could find a srt6 with 0 miles for 25k I would call that a hell of a deal. Always thought that had a lot of problems. Could be wrong just always what I heard.
    Yeah I would never buy one for the original price which I think was around $45,000, but he!! for the price of an SRT-4 it's a steal. I just don't like putting miles on my WS6. I mainly just let it sit in the garage and drive it every once in a while (only 26,000 miles). It's my baby and the SRT-6 is just my daily driver.

    You are absolutely right on the gearbox though. It's ashame too because it would be a little monster otherwise. It just doesn't upshift when you want it to and if you use the tiptronic it is not much better, and they (Mercedes) put a delay on the throttle (throttle by wire) so if you go WOT it doesn't start climbing to 100% throttle for a second, so it is hard to even lay a wheel with it from a stop.

  15. #35
    i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    15

    SOM
    01 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by SS/CETA View Post
    They do have problems. I just met a guy that owns one and he said it's been in and out of the shop for transmission issues. It only has 18k miles on it, too.
    Damn, No issues here yet. Knock on wood.

    I know many Chrylsers are known for transmission problems, but the crossfire has a Mercedes transmission which I have never heard anything good or bad about. Maintanance costs were my main concern when buying this car because it is basicly a Mercedes, but I decided to gamble it and only time will tell.

  16. #36
    R/A T/A SS/CETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arkansas/Missouri State Line
    Age
    33
    Posts
    332

    Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

    It could be driver-transmission error. I've known some bulletproof cars that ended up biting the bullet because of their owners.

  17. #37
    Junior Member KLEEMANN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Age
    51
    Posts
    36

    Firemist Red
    '05 AMG SLK55

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A Barracus View Post
    Damn, No issues here yet. Knock on wood.

    I know many Chrylsers are known for transmission problems, but the crossfire has a Mercedes transmission which I have never heard anything good or bad about. Maintanance costs were my main concern when buying this car because it is basicly a Mercedes, but I decided to gamble it and only time will tell.
    That 5 Spd Tranny is the same one powering the higher horsepower 5.5L Supercharged AMG cars (even the V12 Twin Turbo). That 5 spd tranny is extremely stout. I've never heard anyone have issues with the old 5 speed transmission (which have been replaced with the 7 Spd during the last 2 yrs with the exception of the AMG65 powerplant which still uses the 5 spd - it is VERY reliable).

  18. #38
    i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    15

    SOM
    01 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by KLEEMANN View Post
    That 5 Spd Tranny is the same one powering the higher horsepower 5.5L Supercharged AMG cars (even the V12 Twin Turbo). That 5 spd tranny is extremely stout. I've never heard anyone have issues with the old 5 speed transmission (which have been replaced with the 7 Spd during the last 2 yrs with the exception of the AMG65 powerplant which still uses the 5 spd - it is VERY reliable).
    That's good to know. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Killed a SRT-4
    By Y2K_CAMARO in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM
  2. killed an sti
    By blue02Z in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 04:53 AM
  3. GTP......killed
    By blackhawk01 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM
  4. Evo killed me
    By JHayesLS1 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 03:23 PM
  5. Something funny happened, then got killed and killed today !
    By Speedy_Gonzales in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2007, 08:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •