Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Killed by friends modded foxbody. need advice...

This is a discussion on Killed by friends modded foxbody. need advice... within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by RJWZ28 i'm pretty sure that a standard Chevy smallblock intake manifold will bolt right onto your block ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    i'm pretty sure that a standard Chevy smallblock intake manifold will bolt right onto your block in place of the tbi, so i dont think there would be any harm in bolting a good intake and carb on your 305 and swapping those same pieces to the 350 when you get one. top end parts are pretty much the same for a 305 and 350, the displacement inside the cylinders is the real difference between the two. Oh and as far as transmissions that can be run with an
    LS1 are concerned, you can bolt pretty much any GM auto to an LS.
    dude... i really really relaly appreciate all ur help.
    if i have any more questions, im for sure goin to u if u dont mind lol.

like... what kind of carb and intake should i get? cna i jsut take these pieces off an old z28 or chevy truck or sumthing? what models would have a good one to take etc...

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Guys, he's sixteen. The bucks aren't exactly rolling in. 500 here, 500 there, and he can gradually build it up without dumping 3 grand in one pop. And that is hard for me, and I make 50 grand a year. GD mortgage, taxes, and child support.

He has about the same displacement as a 5.0, he should be able to be just as fast mod for mod.
    thank u very much. exactly what i was sayin.

guys, i AM considering an engine swap... itwould jsut have to be from a junkyard and i was considering an lt1 being my best bet. BUT... its gonna take a bit for me to save up for that, and if i have the money, i will end up slowly spending it on something. so a few dollars here and there will keep my money into my car...

btw... i have NO emissions. no visual checks, no nothing. this car can be as illegal as child rape.

so i guess where im at, i should jsut go to a junkyard, and check out prices on a bunch of their 350 engines, especially the lt1s. MAYBE ill save up, if its not too expensive

i appreciate EVERYONES input.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superchargedblackgto View Post
    I agree with roastem on this one, but @ the end of the day he is going to spend alot more money than its worth......just not practicle.....displacement is about the same.....now blackz....that car would be able to smoke a mustang......it'd just cost too much....my .02 worth.....BTW Alex listen to the prariedog....lol....his suggestions will get the job done......but @ the end of the day thats alot of expense for the technology you have.......but hey its your car and $ do what you like...I know....lol
    i agree, he could make it fast but like you said costs too much...too much to where he could by another car that is newer, more reliable, more hp= more practical....but hey lets party
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    i agree, he could make it fast but like you said costs too much...too much to where he could by another car that is newer, more reliable, more hp= more practical....but hey lets party
    SWEET, are you buying.....lol

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

yea if i put every dollar earned into a savings account that i could not touch, eventually i could buy a new car.

i could afford payments on a used car right now if i took a loan... hte only thing is, i cant afford full coverage insurance, and as far as i know, with a loan im required by the bank to have full coverage.

therefore, im modding this car whether its a good or bad idea. id appreciate if everyone stops tleling me "just get a new car" "dont put money into the engine, it snot worth it" cuz to me, it is worth it right now. its not an argument, its my own decision.

so, how bout some more REAL help?

Red
    2000 Z28

Those TBI 305's were 170 HP, so throw a 100 shot on there, and you'll have about the same HP as him.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
    Those TBI 305's were 170 HP, so throw a 100 shot on there, and you'll have about the same HP as him.
    was considering that also lol... its just the feeling of cheating. its not like he wouldnt know about it, to where i could just sneak it in. he lives like 4 houses down from me in a tight subdivision. i see him multiple times a day lol

i am for sure eventually going to nitrous tho. i jsut dont know when. i hear from many different people that it could melt my stock internals tho... is a 100 shot safe?

how much would a whole kit cost

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superchargedblackgto View Post
    SWEET, are you buying.....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    yea if i put every dollar earned into a savings account that i could not touch, eventually i could buy a new car.

i could afford payments on a used car right now if i took a loan... hte only thing is, i cant afford full coverage insurance, and as far as i know, with a loan im required by the bank to have full coverage.

therefore, im modding this car whether its a good or bad idea. id appreciate if everyone stops tleling me "just get a new car" "dont put money into the engine, it snot worth it" cuz to me, it is worth it right now. its not an argument, its my own decision.

so, how bout some more REAL help?
    sorry i didnt know you were strapped for cash...well im really not too familiar with tbi's..i dont know anyone who has ever actually seriously modded them...at least not the kind of power that you are looking out of one for that stang
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
    100 shot??? he might as well just blow it up himself with dynamite...if you need this car..do nnot run n20 on that engine

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

sorry i didnt know you were strapped for cash...well im really not too familiar with tbi's..i dont know anyone who has ever actually seriously modded them...at least not the kind of power that you are looking out of one for that stang

100 shot??? he might as well just blow it up himself with dynamite...if you need this car..do nnot run n20 on that engine
    no n20 at all? i thought i could with a small 75 or 100 shot maybe...

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

well ive decided that eventually this car is going to have an lt1 in it. . . just gotta get the cash. as of right now, im gonna get 373s. where can i get them cheap?

Red
    2000 Z28

I thought all the "experts" were in agreement that 20 hp per cylinder was safe to use on any most any engine.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

theres a 3.73 rear under the back of a 1985 Monte Carlo SS. also, as far as the LT1 goes, its easier (and i'm actually pretty sure its cheaper) to just save the money and sell your car and buy a 100,000 mile+ 1993-1997 Z28, preferably 1994+. the LT1 is not a bolt-in swap, you have to upgrade your fuel system and electronics and LT1 parts are more expensive because its an oddball platform that was only produced for 5 years (1992-1997). Certainly fun to work with, but if you're on a budget and you want to fork out the cash, a Gen III (LS & LQ) swap costs just about the same and the parts are more common and the engines respond better to mods.

So either you work with the engine platform you have (Gen I) or you might as well go all the way (Gen III/IV). LT1s are great fun, but there are only two really good reasons to use a Gen II (LT1) instead of a GenIII/IV. (1) you have a car that already has or came with one or (2) you have an unbeatable deal on a complete LT1.

now on another note: edelbrock makes a performance manifold for tbi that will bolt right onto your engine for about $600. They also have performance heads that will fit your style smallblock (yours is a Gen I, 1987+, with centerbolt heads and a one-piece rear main seal.) They will also sell you some good headers to bolt on. The coolest part about all of this is that you can buy these parts as $ allows and then swap them to a 350 block later and experience even more power gain!

oh and finding a camshaft to boost up that thing will be a breeze: Comp, Edelbrock, Crane, whatever; Comp Cams just introduced their Thumpr hydraulic roller cam a month or so ago to boost the performance and give you a nice mean-sounding idle; the cams come with a choice of three grinds for a smallblock Chevy and cost $367. Just give them a call and they'll hook you up.

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

All right. Here you go. You want some mods that will allow you to keep the 305 and work on a budget so here it is.

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/325_h...chevrolet.html

this article produced a dyno proven 325HP and 317TQ from a 305. the changes include....
    -intake manifold
    -750 carb
    -cam
    -heads ( the heads are only 400 a pair, assembled)

all in all its less than a grand, and he can do them part by part as money allows itself. Fuck yeah i win hahahahahaha

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
    All right. Here you go. You want some mods that will allow you to keep the 305 and work on a budget so here it is.

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/325_h...chevrolet.html

this article produced a dyno proven 325HP and 317TQ from a 305. the changes include....
    -intake manifold
    -750 carb
    -cam
    -heads ( the heads are only 400 a pair, assembled)

all in all its less than a grand, and he can do them part by part as money allows itself. Fuck yeah i win hahahahahaha
    holy shit man! YOU DO WIN! thats exactly what i was looking for. absolutely perfect. before i saw this, i was kind of dissappointed about the 305, realizing that it WOULD be a waste of money modding it... so i decided that i was gonna go with an lt1, and for everyone: i made a thread that pertains to everything in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f37/

but oh my god, if i could actually get 325hp out of the 305 for less than a grand, i owe u bigtime. wow, i am really stumped now as to what i should do

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

however, i just looked more into that link, and it says its for the LG4 engine... i have an LO3 i believe... i wonder if all the same still applies

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

when u talk about gettin lt1....u mean car or engine swap?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by burnws6 View Post
    when u talk about gettin lt1....u mean car or engine swap?
    engine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information