Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Killed by friends modded foxbody. need advice...

This is a discussion on Killed by friends modded foxbody. need advice... within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by RJWZ28 well, if you want to keep it tbi for now, just search for the block, but ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    well, if you want to keep it tbi for now, just search for the block, but you'll probably find a whole engine cuz who goes around pirating tbi units off of truck motors??? Most people would say to just get an edelbrock performer rpm manifold and slap a good ol' carburator on top. A 350 with a carb may not be something that really belongs in this forum but thats about the cheapest way to beat your buddy aside from nitrous.
    it doestn haveto stay tbi... i just dont know how much work is included with changing that

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

drop a ls1 in it and be done....lol

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by astyles View Post
    drop a ls1 in it and be done....lol
    yea... in my dreams. i wont have the money for an ls1 and a compatable tranny for a while. plus ill have to pay for someone to install and tune it, cuz i wouldnt be able to myself

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    yea... in my dreams. i wont have the money for an ls1 and a compatable tranny for a while. plus ill have to pay for someone to install and tune it, cuz i wouldnt be able to myself
    shit by the time you get done making the 305 fast you will have spent about the same money......

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

You will have a very hard time, and will spend a whole lot of money (and time) trying to get that 305 to keep up with the 5.0. I wouldn't recommend it.

However, if you're dead set on doing it, I suggest visiting www.thirdgen.org.

Good luck.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I suggest you replace your fuel injection with a 650 double pumper and torquer II intake, slap a 100 shot of fuel/nos mix in there (plate system), get some longtubes and dumps, slap a set of 3.73 gears in there. A 2500 rpm stall would be nice too. Problem solved, bank account drained, 5.0 busted.

I'm here all week, and try the veal!
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    cheapest way to make a tbi fast is get an engine swap...yes they are garbage, fun to drive, but not for performance what so ever...im not trying to offend you buddy, but im sure you know it as well
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    cheapest way to make a tbi fast is get an engine swap...yes they are garbage, fun to drive, but not for performance what so ever...im not trying to offend you buddy, but im sure you know it as well
    well... it was fast when i bought it lol. fastest thing i ever drove. then i got a ride in my friends fox, and AHHHHHHHHHH my car suck!

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    I suggest you replace your fuel injection with a 650 double pumper and torquer II intake, slap a 100 shot of fuel/nos mix in there (plate system), get some longtubes and dumps, slap a set of 3.73 gears in there. A 2500 rpm stall would be nice too. Problem solved, bank account drained, 5.0 busted.

I'm here all week, and try the veal!
    some of the best advice ive been given. (not that others werent good advice, this is just kinda what i was lookin for)

im considering an engine swap also, but it will be easier for me to spend alot of money over time than all at once. . . this way, i can buy one thing, wait till my next paycheck, get another, and watch my improvement.

i really appreciate it man. the stall is only a couple hundred dollars, the gears are only a couple hundred plus install, i dont know about the intake, and i dont know how much that nitrous set up is gona cost but i couldnt imagine itd be that much. i was thinin about gettin headers and true duals. i dont need cats or mufflers.

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    well... it was fast when i bought it lol. fastest thing i ever drove. then i got a ride in my friends fox, and AHHHHHHHHHH my car suck!
    my buddy had a 89 305tbi firebird...i was in love with that thing...all that low end torque, shit it was fun as hell to drive...but then when a civic si beat him i was in disbelief...its not your fault, gm just didn't make it to be a performance engine...ever think bout getting a lt1? you can find some for good prices...thats a bbbig step above a tbi

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

there was an article in super chevy or shevy hi-performance lately where for around 2 grand they were able to make 325 horses with 305
    ... and thats pretty damn good for a 305

... personally i like the engine swap idea. just order one of those Gm crate engines if you have no emissions. theyre like 290HP and 300TQ for around 1800. and i think itd pretty much be a straight drop in.

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
    there was an article in super chevy or shevy hi-performance lately where for around 2 grand they were able to make 325 horses with 305
    ... and thats pretty damn good for a 305

... personally i like the engine swap idea. just order one of those Gm crate engines if you have no emissions. theyre like 290HP and 300TQ for around 1800. and i think itd pretty much be a straight drop in.
    damn that sounds like the perfect fix

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Guys, he's sixteen. The bucks aren't exactly rolling in. 500 here, 500 there, and he can gradually build it up without dumping 3 grand in one pop. And that is hard for me, and I make 50 grand a year. GD mortgage, taxes, and child support.

He has about the same displacement as a 5.0, he should be able to be just as fast mod for mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Guys, he's sixteen. The bucks aren't exactly rolling in. 500 here, 500 there, and he can gradually build it up without dumping 3 grand in one pop. And that is hard for me, and I make 50 grand a year. GD mortgage, taxes, and child support.

He has about the same displacement as a 5.0, he should be able to be just as fast mod for mod.
    dddef not... saying a 305 tbi can be as fast as a 5.0 mod for mod is like saying a l98 tpi 350 can be as fast as a ls1 mod for mod...not to mention 5.0's way lighter than 3rd gens

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    dddef not... saying a 305 tbi can be as fast as a 5.0 mod for mod is like saying a l98 tpi 350 can be as fast as a ls1 mod for mod...not to mention 5.0's way lighter than 3rd gens
    I agree with roastem on this one, but @ the end of the day he is going to spend alot more money than its worth......just not practicle.....displacement is about the same.....now blackz....that car would be able to smoke a mustang......it'd just cost too much....my .02 worth.....BTW Alex listen to the prariedog....lol....his suggestions will get the job done......but @ the end of the day thats alot of expense for the technology you have.......but hey its your car and $ do what you like...I know....lol

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Find a wrecked cop car with a LT1 buy it for a little bit of nothing then swap the engine into your 3rd gen

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Go to the junk yard and find a running 350 out of anything, run a decent carb with aluminum intake. You can build up one of them for really cheap and be miles a head of the 305. You can even put your stock 305 heads on it for some extra compression. The junk yard is your best friend when your on a budget. I wouldn't even waste any cash on the 305.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

yeah thats what i was saying, that his best bet is gonna be a good intake manifold and carb and eventually a 350 swap. the reason i was originally suggesting a tbi 350 was just in case he had any worries about a visual inspection. i know michigan doesn't have any emissions checks, but i've been trying to mod my cars within the standards set by CARB so that if they start checking michigan cars i'm not stuck trying to put an illegal car back together so i can drive it.

my friend is barely twenty and he picked up a 1985 Monte SS with a 350 swap pretty cheap, so finding a good 350 engine to bolt between the fenders of that car shouldnt be hard at all. just find a good block, put it on an engine stand, and add speed parts to the package as your budget allows. or put a stock carbed 350 from something else in there and swap the speed parts in when u get the cash.

i'm pretty sure that a standard Chevy smallblock intake manifold will bolt right onto your block in place of the tbi, so i dont think there would be any harm in bolting a good intake and carb on your 305 and swapping those same pieces to the 350 when you get one. top end parts are pretty much the same for a 305 and 350, the displacement inside the cylinders is the real difference between the two. Oh and as far as transmissions that can be run with an
    LS1 are concerned, you can bolt pretty much any GM auto to an LS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information