Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

killed a 01-02 z28 with my 01 SS

Finally got to race a z28. Lots of talk on here which is faster. It was a short race from a dig at a red light only up to 70 mph because of traffic. I dang near lost it lol my car bout got sideways. Got him by a car length. The guy in the z28 was not cool about it, no thumbs up but a guy behind us pulled up beside me and gave a thumbs up lol
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 02-14-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

that damn randy! hahahaha good kill man! What color was the z? I don't think stock for stock the z's are faster than the SSs either. I'm not saying ram air is the world but it does count for something and it cannot be measured on a dyno. I've got reasons why the z is not as fast.

1st the tires are skinnier and that means less traction
    2nd the suspension is not as good as the SSs, x2 for traction
    3rd our cars are supposed to have a better tune from SLP
    4th our exhaust flows freer

and thats all I can think of.

I'm not saying they're not as good, because they CAN be modded just as good and better than an SS. That's why I'm modding my SS I want to be the fastest!

Why do I have to be the fastest some of you may be asking, so anytime I pull up to anything thats supposed to be faster and I beat them I can give them thumbs up and say

Last edited by 7camaro7; 02-14-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: emoticon

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    that damn randy! hahahaha good kill man! What color was the z? I don't think stock for stock the z's are faster than the SSs either. I'm not saying ram air is the world but it does count for something and it cannot be measured on a dyno. I've got reasons why the z is not as fast.

1st the tires are skinnier and that means less traction
    2nd the suspension is not as good as the SSs, x2 for traction
    3rd our cars are supposed to have a better tune from SLP
    4th our exhaust flows freer

and thats all I can think of.

I'm not saying they're not as good, because they CAN be modded just as good and better than an SS. That's why I'm modding my SS I want to be the fastest!

Why do I have to be the fastest some of you may be asking, so anytime I pull up to anything thats supposed to be faster and I beat them I can give them thumbs up and say

it was a silver vertical...it had the type exaust you have except not centered like yours

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

dual/dual? and convertible?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

i got blasted on a thread not long ago on which was faster the z28 or ss. heck when i raced today ( came out of retirement again lol) i had just got out of the e.r. with a bad case of Bronchitis and i felt like crap. was going home and the z passed me and several other cars and i was like dang it, said i wouldnt gonna race no more and just wanted to get home into the bed and take my meds. A red light stopped the z allowing me to pull up beside it. All I could think about was all those people saying no difference in a z and a ss. said f**k it and dropped into low. its a shame i didnt have more run way cause i was pulling away strong. I know what they going to say he was a bad driver etc....so on so forth...all I know is I killed it baby

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

dual/dual? and convertible?
    correction not dual/dual had tips like yours....was a convertible

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

chrome z28 tips on each side?

Also man we never know, my car is convertible and a little heavier than yours but I've got a 6spd. Our cars could be tit for tat never know which one is faster. Funny thing is even though my car is heavier, I don't weigh much so it could balance out.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

chrome z28 tips on each side?

Also man we never know, my car is convertible and a little heavier than yours but I've got a 6spd. Our cars could be tit for tat never know which one is faster. Funny thing is even though my car is heavier, I don't weigh much so it could balance out.
    yes same shape as yours........when we run them i am thowing some stuff overboard right b4 the race lol

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

hahaha one of these days I'm going to weigh mine. I really want to know how much it weighs

Awaiting Activation
    I've got reasons why the z is not as fast.
    I see your reason and i am not trying to start a fight, but i don't think either car is faster than the other. But just to mention it -- the fastest 1/4 mile time for a stock LS1 f-body was a '99 Z28 that ran 12.89

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I wonder if the same driver got in a SS with the same weight of car and the same skill of driver could do better in the SS

I also see that z is a 99 and the 01s and 02s are supposed to have a couple more, I mean that should count for something... I guess it only counts if you're the worlds most skilled driver and all you do is race. Out on the street z vs ss it could be too close to call. Most spontanious street races don't go above 120 which is when the ram air would probably start working.

know what? I think gmhtp should do an article on it to find out. I think the cars should be the same year same options except for one being SS and the should be as close to the same weight as possible unless the weight IS the reason.

I only see a weight difference in the hood. SS hood is fiberglass and the z's hood is aluminum I believe. So to me I'd say the SS would be lighter. The SSs have bigger wheels and the weight from those could add up. Who knows?

Awaiting Activation
    Z28 is the lightest of all the f-bodies then formula.

Awaiting Activation
    hey 7camaro7 i was just went on my buddies car domain (Jon7I2 '99 formula) and noticed that you were on his comment page. lol I went to your page and i must say you have one sweet looking SS!!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Thanks man! The Z looks good too!

I think there are stripper SSs out there too, I wonder how much they weigh?

Awaiting Activation
    Thanks man! The Z looks good too!

I think there are stripper SSs out there too, I wonder how much they weigh?
    Thanks!! Yea thats my Z in some of the pics on his page.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I'll check it out

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

An SS vert is going to be slower than a SS coupe anyway (both stock) so your race didn't prove what you were going after. Good kill anyway though!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    An SS vert is going to be slower than a SS coupe anyway (both stock) so your race didn't prove what you were going after. Good kill anyway though!
    it was a vert z28

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    and watch our mouth about my vert SS j/k by the way what do you think about if the vert is a 6spd and the coupe is a a4?

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Vert's are heavier by at least 100 lbs than coupe models.

I ran a black 02 SS last year. I had cam, intake, full exhaust, gears. This guy must not have known that the Z28 was basically the same car as the SS. His exhaust sounded stock. I don't think he had any mods, but I don't know cause he was a real asshole who didn't take get his ass handed lightly.

Anyway, I saw him back there, cause he weaved around a couple people to get behind me at the light. I was first, so I take off kinda slow, maybe I was making about 15 mph and he punches it to fly around me, so I laid on the throttle an she ripped through the power band and sat smack dab on the rev limiter, I shifted to second and laid another 20 ft or so of 295/35/18 rubber, feathering the throttle to get traction. I hooked in third and pulled the SS like wet Victoria's Secret panties.

We flew through a busy intersection making "give me your license, you don't need it" speed, and I had him by at least two car lengths. Realizing I was driving like an idiot, I slow down, and this f*cker did a fly-by on me making at least 100 in a 45 zone. We came up on heavy traffic, and he continued his antics by punching it, slamming on brakes, and all kinds of irritating sh*t. Like we could go anywhere. He turned off on a back road that was four lane, and I was gonna pull up beside him and give him a roll race, and he suddenly ducked in an apt. complex and acted like he getting away from a cop or something. Just weird.

That was my only race with an LS1 SS. But, I was far from stock, and he was prolly stock. You SS guys should not take the Z coupes lightly, you might regret it.

Anyway, good race, and do some more mods willya!

Thread Information