Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just want your opinions......

This is a discussion on Just want your opinions...... within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Too Fast No such thing as an "L6" unless it is some German nomeclature. Engines are either ...

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    No such thing as an "L6" unless it is some German nomeclature. Engines are either Inline, V or W. I guess the L6 he is refering to could stand for "longitudinal" like our engines are. Anyway, race him, and also tell him you don't have a wimpy paddle shifter, you drive like a real man does with a proper manual transmission. Launch control is our left and right feet, with our brain involved LOL.
    There's a couple of others like flat, U, H, rotary, deltic, radial, square, VR, opposed, and X. Those aren't too common or discontinued.

The upside to his paddle shift he won't miss a gear and there is no delay between his shift. Generally the paddle shift cars (event though I hate them) are faster, especially in a turbo car since it stays in boost between shifts.

If he's got a paddle shifter and the ECU tune, I think he's got you, but who knows, you may have a really strong LS1 and can drive well.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yeah I guess I was referring to common car engines. I did forget about the flat engines that Porsche and Subaru have in high production numbers. Opposed would be the same, eh? Didn't Ferarri have a flat 8 and 12 cylinder engines for a while? Can you give me an example of a U, deltic, square and VR? Are these fighter plane engines from WW2? Rotary is not a piston engine, but a fuel burning engine non-the-less.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    There's a couple of others like flat, U, H, rotary, deltic, radial, square, VR, opposed, and X. Those aren't too common or discontinued.

The upside to his paddle shift he won't miss a gear and there is no delay between his shift. Generally the paddle shift cars (event though I hate them) are faster, especially in a turbo car since it stays in boost between shifts.

If he's got a paddle shifter and the ECU tune, I think he's got you, but who knows, you may have a really strong LS1 and can drive well.
    I have an automatic so I won't be missing a shift either............anyone else with some suggestions?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    I have an automatic so I won't be missing a shift either............anyone else with some suggestions?
    I think you have more information than you need. Line up, out launch him, and hope you can hold him off.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

No such thing as an "L6" unless it is some German nomeclature. Engines are either Inline, V or W. I guess the L6 he is refering to could stand for "longitudinal" like our engines are. Anyway, race him, and also tell him you don't have a wimpy paddle shifter, you drive like a real man does with a proper manual transmission. Launch control is our left and right feet, with our brain involved LOL.
    L6 is just an old term for Inline 6 (I6). If you look at any older car's specs (1960s/70s), they list the engine as an "L6". I believe it is derived from the fact that the cam is in the bottom right side of the engine, giving the block a sort of "L" shape. Could be wrong, but thats the only reason I can think of for the "L" designation instead of "I".

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    L6 is just an old term for Inline 6 (I6). If you look at any older car's specs (1960s/70s), they list the engine as an "L6". I believe it is derived from the fact that the cam is in the bottom right side of the engine, giving the block a sort of "L" shape. Could be wrong, but thats the only reason I can think of for the "L" designation instead of "I".
    Correct.

midnight blue

just race him

white
    1998 Pontiac firebird

Go head & run him best 2 out of 3 if he wins first run, tell him y'all go on third horn blow leave on second if he wins again, get info to smash his ass.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

In short, it sounds like he's driving a 4-door 335i. The cars are good for low to mid 13's bone stock and they respond very well to minor mods (tune, etc.). If the guy increased the boost with a reflash, the car is capable of running in the 12's with a good driver.

At the end of the day, you have a car that is capable of 12's -- if he's bone stock, I think you clearly have an advantage. That being said, don't roast the tires on the launch, otherwise you might end up in a hole too big to climb out of.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Correct.
    Sounds like you guys like inline 6 cylinder engines more than I do LOL. Nuthin' but V8s for this boy. They are the only engines that make the right, gutteral, ethereal roar!

But Wesman's definition makes the most sense, with the cam offset somewhat giving the engine a sort of "L" shape.

Sounds like you guys like inline 6 cylinder engines more than I do LOL. Nuthin' but V8s for this boy. They are the only engines that make the right, gutteral, ethereal roar!

But Wesman's definition makes the most sense, with the cam offset somewhat giving the engine a sort of "L" shape.
    You said Wesman likes I6 engines.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yeah, I'm waiting for the

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

my uncle has an 05 M3..good luck if its really twin turboed

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Vortec 4200 I6 in the Trailblazer is a great motor

So is the new BMW I6 Twin Turbo.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

And your opinion of the 2jz-gte Wesman?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    And your opinion of the 2jz-gte Wesman?
    Overpriced, turbo lag plagued dyno queens

They also sound absolutely terrible.

Overpriced, turbo lag plagued dyno queens

They also sound absolutely terrible.
    .... all straight 6s sound similar. I think they sound great with a single turbo setup. With BPU twin turbos they sound like crud.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

.... all straight 6s sound similar. I think they sound great with a single turbo setup. With BPU twin turbos they sound like crud.
    I don't think they sound good period. They sound like a lawnmower engine with a turbocharger.

If you've ever heard the Vortec 4200, it sounds much better.

I don't think they sound good period. They sound like a lawnmower engine with a turbocharger.

If you've ever heard the Vortec 4200, it sounds much better.
    You're joking right.... you must be deaf. Supras sound NOTHING like a lawnmower... that's what a Honda with a fart pipe sounds like.

...and a Vortec 4200 sounds like any other I6. I Youtubed it. Nothing special. They all sound similar.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Wesman hates Japanese cars. You'll learn this in time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information