Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I made a video just for Wesman.

This is a discussion on I made a video just for Wesman. within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Wesman Sure it does. A4 LS1's come with 2.73's from the factory. Those gears are much less ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sure it does. A4 LS1's come with 2.73's from the factory. Those gears are much less than optimal for the cars powerband. Yet the car still runs mid -low 13's bone stock. Swapping to 3.73's or 4.10's will easily gain you a few tenths in the 1/4.

The same cannot be said for a car like the Evo. If it had those kind of gears from the factory, it would be undriveable. It would be running 15's stock.

Just trying to show the difference in powerbands. The LS1 has a much, much more flexible powerband than a shortly geared, high strung Evo does. Theres no comparison in terms of useable power or the broadness of the HP and TQ curves. I'm not trying to say it should have shorter gears, I'm making a point that it needs shorter gears to be driveable and run the times that it does. The LS1 does not, although it will obviously be quicker with the shorter gears. But even with 2.73's its very far from slow. There is a vast difference in terms of performance between tall gears in a V8 and tall gears in a 4 cylinder..

Because the lower RPM's you turn, the less wear you're putting on the motor long term, and the easier it is to cruise. You don't need to give it a lot of throttle to maintain speed (the higher RPM you turn, the more throttle you need to input to maintain that RPM) and you do't go into engine braking every time you let off the gas. Not that a 2.0L 4 banger provides any engine braking, though.

As for sport bikes, those are totally different animals, and not event remotely relevent to the discussion.

Believe me I see what youre saying, but youre backtracking and attacking EVOs (weird) about the gearing. The fact is, they come with the short gears, period. They work great, I love them. The only thing I could want is a shorter 5th to match 4th gear better and a 6th highway gear, of course, I dont cruise on the highway anymore so I dont really need it.

The powerband on a big turbo'd car woudl benefit from the taller gears, thats why they sell a 4.11 final drive for our cars.

My powerband is solid down low so I thin the gearing fits pretty well for the application. I dont think Id want them any shorter or longer even if I had the option to do so.

Oh and I brought up bikes because of theyre high redlines since that was part of my discussion as to why the gearing is the way it is. There is nothing that redlines very high like they do that will have long gearing.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Just a quick point...changing rear gears does nothing to the car's powerband, nor has any affect on it. It may accelerate quicker (or slower), but it will still use the same rpm range in each gear - regardless of rear gear.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Just a quick point...changing rear gears does nothing to the car's powerband, nor has any affect on it. It may accelerate quicker (or slower), but it will still use the same rpm range in each gear - regardless of rear gear.
    doesnt it increase torque output???? in a small manner???

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

It multiplies torque at the wheel. However, it does it in a linear fashion, meaning it increases everywhere - from 1 to 1 million rpm.

Pewter
    2000 z28

It multiplies torque at the wheel. However, it does it in a linear fashion, meaning it increases everywhere - from 1 to 1 million rpm.
    dude, who arent you??? i dont wanna be like you. seriously. i dont wanna know what you know. any advice on how to not do so???
    i do know enough AT ALL.
    Last edited by secondgearscratch; 04-02-2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: not sure

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

I'm just a drag racer. Please edit your post.

Thanks.

Pewter
    2000 z28

I'm just a drag racer. Please edit your post.

Thanks.
    edit what?
    it wasnt sarcasm so dont get it turned around here. im serious. you know youre shit.

ive gotta stop being an ethug before people stop taking me seriously.....

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

You'll soon get the 'nuthugger' moniker if you're not careful - thus the request to edit. But seriously....I'm just a drag racer. Been around the block a time or two.

PMs are your friend.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

My turn for the popcorn.

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

I got me a hooker all over my long tube.

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    edit what?
    it wasnt sarcasm so dont get it turned around here. im serious. you know youre shit.

ive gotta stop being an ethug before people stop taking me seriously.....
    Ok, "seriously" this is the 3rd time Ive seen you follow him around.

Either argue correctly or dont argue at all. Youre wasting my entertainment minutes.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

rear gears have an effect on power, but you are correct has no effect on the poweband itself.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...=6281#post6281 on this note, it's time to close this up , as it's out served it's usefulness.
    Last edited by mrr23; 04-02-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information