Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I made a video just for Wesman.

This is a discussion on I made a video just for Wesman. within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by mrr23 maybe he does. you ever see a LSx intake break for no reason? the ford intake ...

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    maybe he does. you ever see a LSx intake break for no reason? the ford intake has water running through it. they would erode and break leaving coolant everywhere. they changed the intake to have a metal coolant crossover. i know this because of my father-in-laws 93 thunderbird did just this and i saw the replacement intake after ford did the swap.
    The ones that crack were made 10 years(its 2007, you know that right?), newer ones do not have that issue. Its sort of like the first ls1's randomly having the piston slap issue or the random opti-spark+water issue of the lt1's..

Each company has their design flaws.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Yeah, I need a 4.10 for my car, that is what I am jealous of. At the 1/4, 112 MPH, with the 4.10, I have not done the math, what kind of RPM is that?
    http://www.camaroz28.com/calcs/rpmmph.html

2009 Corvette ZO6

Good stuff 4tun8. Everyone enjoys this hobby. All of us here love going fast, and we all have different ways of achieving it. One of my third generation bretheren just went 11 seconds in his naturally aspirated 305 inspired TBI (an engine that seemed destined to run low 14's for life) . Now, TBI is considered "junk" to those in the so-called know, in case anybody wasn't aware. But thank God that that didn't deter him. It's cool to be a lil different...

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    ok ive heard plenty about him lieing about the speed.....can somone watch the video and LISTEN to which gear hes in and about what rpm hes prolly at then do some research on an evo site and find out how fast hes gion???? although he shouldnt have to prove himself......looks to be about what he says to me

no one is saying he's lying. i completely believe him. the comment was to express how i couldn't tell it was 110 until he said it. it was meant to be a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    no one is saying he's lying. i completely believe him. the comment was to express how i couldn't tell it was 110 until he said it. it was meant to be a compliment.
    Thank you.

Some people are just so damn touchy.

327-TPI/A4
    1992 Trans am

The car talked enough. I hate jap cars in genral but that evo has my respect because its clean and is quick. But, i'll keep my f-body though. So how bout this.......end of discussion. The point has been proven....the evo's not a slow civic ricer that looks like crap.

Hey guys keep in mind he has a LARGE turbo and the lag is not bad at all and obviously completely streetable and fun to drive. I wish I made a vid of my stock turbo'd EVO which is so fast spooling its just insane and fun to drive. The big turbos have a little lag but you get rewarded with ridiculous top end!

Oh and Wesman, the gears arent short in "imports for low end purposes". They are geared short becuase we have higher redlines. Why do all Ls1 guys ditch the 2.73s and get mid 3s or even 4.10s. Acceleration! Look at Formula1 cars with 16000+ RPM redlines. You hear their gears? They are insanely short because they can be and its faster with them. BTW, that first post you made was the best Ive ever seen - you actually appeared to be human!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Yeah, I need a 4.10 for my car, that is what I am jealous of. At the 1/4, 112 MPH, with the 4.10, I have not done the math, what kind of RPM is that?
    In my car, with 285/40/17's out back, its 6,000RPM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Hey guys keep in mind he has a LARGE turbo and the lag is not bad at all and obviously completely streetable and fun to drive. I wish I made a vid of my stock turbo'd EVO which is so fast spooling its just insane and fun to drive. The big turbos have a little lag but you get rewarded with ridiculous top end!
    Do you honestly think nobody here besides yourself has driven a stock Evo?? The turbo doesn't spool any quicker than any other stock turbocharged car, and it still has no low end power.

Oh and Wesman, the gears arent short in "imports for low end purposes". They are geared short becuase we have higher redlines. Why do all Ls1 guys ditch the 2.73s and get mid 3s or even 4.10s. Acceleration! Look at Formula1 cars with 16000+ RPM redlines. You hear their gears? They are insanely short because they can be and its faster with them. BTW, that first post you made was the best Ive ever seen - you actually appeared to be human!
    They are geared for both the higher redline and to help on the low end. If Evos had 3.42's with a 2.66 1st gear like a stock LS1, the car would be undriveable and would probably be running 15's. The LS1's tall gears are due to its broad powerband and torque curve, it can easily cruise along turning slightly over 1,000RPMs, no problem. I can't even imagine a 4 cylinder with a .5 6th gear, it would be a completely useless gear.

And like I said, even with my 4.10 gears I'm still only at 1800RPM on the highway, yet 1st gear is an animal. Evos have a super short final drive coupled with short gears, so even with 6 speeds they still turn ridiculously high RPM's on the highway. I suppose thats necessary though, if they turned any less it wouldn't have enough power to maintain speed.

Black
    99 SS

oh my

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

LOL. You think 2.66 with a 4.10 is something....try a 3.35 1st + 4.56 rear + 26x10 slicks. Big fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Do you honestly think nobody here besides yourself has driven a stock Evo?? The turbo doesn't spool any quicker than any other stock turbocharged car, and it still has no low end power.

They are geared for both the higher redline and to help on the low end. If Evos had 3.42's with a 2.66 1st gear like a stock LS1, the car would be undriveable and would probably be running 15's. The LS1's tall gears are due to its broad powerband and torque curve, it can easily cruise along turning slightly over 1,000RPMs, no problem. I can't even imagine a 4 cylinder with a .5 6th gear, it would be a completely useless gear.

And like I said, even with my 4.10 gears I'm still only at 1800RPM on the highway, yet 1st gear is an animal. Evos have a super short final drive coupled with short gears, so even with 6 speeds they still turn ridiculously high RPM's on the highway. I suppose thats necessary though, if they turned any less it wouldn't have enough power to maintain speed.

"Helping" with the low-end has absolutely nothing to do with it. The car's are geared properly due to the high redline and for quick acceleration. EVOs dont have 3.42s because that would make them slower period. Would you take out your 4.10s to put in 2.73s. Of course not.

Im not sure what you consider "ridiculously high rpm" on the highway, but Im usually around 3000rpm. I dont know why your so hung up on sitting at "low rpm". The cars get very similar gas mileage. I was averaging 26-27mpg on my car when I was commuting up to North Jersey 4 days a week. Thats cruising on the GSP at around 75mph or so and at around 3300rpm. You can sit at 1800 and get the same gas mileage so who cares?

Do you think sport bikes with 13k+ redlines sit at 2k rpm? No you cruise much higher because you CAN. Sitting at 3000rpm isnt a big deal when you have a higher redline. Im confused why your so stuck on this issue. Its quite simple.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

how high is your redline ee??? mines 6800..thats pretty high

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    how high is your redline ee??? mines 6800..thats pretty high

7500. Limiter is set at 7900 for balls out 4th gear runs though

Yellow
    '02 S-10

I love how people are trying to dog on his car. I have an s-10 and its still teh stock 4.3. And i was between LS1 swap, or turbo the 4.3. and i could truboe the 4.3 and build the internals for the same price as an LS1 swap. And all id have to do is push a few buttons to jump the boost up if i had the fuel/air set up right with a high enough octane. So i chose the trubo over an LS1. Guess im a ricer too then. im with you now 4tune8. But that is a nasty car. 4cylinder or not..
    White Smoke keep on rollin...

Yellow
    '02 S-10

and who cares about the gearing. he needs special gears, but he doesnt need 4 more cylinders.... kinda interesting to think about. but i do love the sound of a v8. But i cant see why wesman is so against them.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

"Do you think sport bikes with 13k+ redlines sit at 2k rpm? No you cruise much higher because you CAN. Sitting at 3000rpm isnt a big deal when you have a higher redline. Im confused why your so stuck on this issue. Its quite simple.

that and the fact that its a way smaller displacement engine. turning 3k in a v8 is vastly different than doing it in a 4 banger.
    it stands to reason that a basic 4 cylinder would get decent gas milage commuting on the highway, and if your at an rpm that isnt making boost (or alot), then youre just a basic 4 cyl. but when you hit the gas....off you go.

and please dont get into sport bikes....it just depresses me that something so small can pull away from me so fast and the bastard riding it is sipping his morning coffee at 140 mph.....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

"Helping" with the low-end has absolutely nothing to do with it. The car's are geared properly due to the high redline and for quick acceleration. EVOs dont have 3.42s because that would make them slower period. Would you take out your 4.10s to put in 2.73s. Of course not.
    Sure it does. A4 LS1's come with 2.73's from the factory. Those gears are much less than optimal for the cars powerband. Yet the car still runs mid -low 13's bone stock. Swapping to 3.73's or 4.10's will easily gain you a few tenths in the 1/4.

The same cannot be said for a car like the Evo. If it had those kind of gears from the factory, it would be undriveable. It would be running 15's stock.

Just trying to show the difference in powerbands. The LS1 has a much, much more flexible powerband than a shortly geared, high strung Evo does. Theres no comparison in terms of useable power or the broadness of the HP and TQ curves. I'm not trying to say it should have shorter gears, I'm making a point that it needs shorter gears to be driveable and run the times that it does. The LS1 does not, although it will obviously be quicker with the shorter gears. But even with 2.73's its very far from slow. There is a vast difference in terms of performance between tall gears in a V8 and tall gears in a 4 cylinder..

Im not sure what you consider "ridiculously high rpm" on the highway, but Im usually around 3000rpm. I dont know why your so hung up on sitting at "low rpm". The cars get very similar gas mileage. I was averaging 26-27mpg on my car when I was commuting up to North Jersey 4 days a week. Thats cruising on the GSP at around 75mph or so and at around 3300rpm. You can sit at 1800 and get the same gas mileage so who cares?
    Because the lower RPM's you turn, the less wear you're putting on the motor long term, and the easier it is to cruise. You don't need to give it a lot of throttle to maintain speed (the higher RPM you turn, the more throttle you need to input to maintain that RPM) and you do't go into engine braking every time you let off the gas. Not that a 2.0L 4 banger provides any engine braking, though.

As for sport bikes, those are totally different animals, and not event remotely relevent to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by waite87 View Post
    I love how people are trying to dog on his car. I have an s-10 and its still teh stock 4.3. And i was between LS1 swap, or turbo the 4.3. and i could truboe the 4.3 and build the internals for the same price as an LS1 swap. And all id have to do is push a few buttons to jump the boost up if i had the fuel/air set up right with a high enough octane. So i chose the trubo over an LS1. Guess im a ricer too then. im with you now 4tune8.
    having a turbo has nothing to do with being a "ricer"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information