Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I made a video just for Wesman.

This is a discussion on I made a video just for Wesman. within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; if you do the math the correct way 420 /.82 (18% loss) = 512 crank. if you do the math ...

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

if you do the math the correct way
    420 /.82 (18% loss) = 512 crank.

if you do the math the wrong way
    420 * 1.18 (18% loss) = 495 crank

either way, 500 at the motor.

really couldn't tell by the video that you were going 110. i believe you. just visually, it doesn't seem to be going that fast.

i applaud you for wanting to actually show us what it can do. it shows perseverance and pride in your car.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

I think on a dynojet the car will put down close to 500 at the tire. That 420hp dyno sheet is from a mustang that's factory calibrated.

For a reference the car tonight went 120mph in the trap at the ABSOLUTE WORST drag strip I have ever seen or heard of (beaver springs). The damn track went uphill and ontop of that when you stage and let of the brake you'd roll backwards....I could NOT stop spinning it was obsurd....I'm going to post a video in this thread, at a decent strip like maple grove or cecil the car will probably go close to 124mph, which is pretty close to 500whp on a dyno jet. Either way the car definitely makes 500 at the crank.

edit: Here's the video lol.....

http://media.putfile.com/firstrun
    Last edited by 4tun8; 03-30-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added video link

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I think you really took this whole "respect for your car thing" way, way to personally.

I mean I really don't know what to say...you took time out of your day to make a video about your Evo and post it on LS1.com?? Props to you for being very determined, I guess...

Please don't take this offensively...but your video in no way changed the way I feel about your car or japanese cars in general. I know how fast they can be made. I know how they drive. I base my opinion on that, not what people tell me on the internet.

And as I've said before, I don't like the way your car sounds. Thats my opinion, I don't think it sounds good at all, regardless of turbo whistle. And that was from inside the car. If you like it, then thats cool, whatever.

As for the performance...I think its pretty obvious that there's not much power before the turbo spools. You can see it in the video. When you stab the gas, the motor loads up on fuel (you get the little buck-buck from the engine, no torque available) and then it starts to accelerate. When you hit full boost, after the turbo spools at ~3200RPM, thats when you actually start making power.

I see that this issue has gone much too far for you to go out of your way and make a video to try and prove your point. It seems like you feel that people such as myself don't understand that your car is quick, which simply isn't true. Just because I don't share the same taste in vehicles as you doesn't mean I don't understand that cars such as yours can be made fast. Obviously any car can be made fast. It just comes down to money and availbility of parts.

If you like your car, then good for you. I don't want you to not like your car because some people on the internet (myself) have a different opinion than you. If we all drove the same car it would be borning anyway.

My point has always been explaining why I don't share the same opinion as you. Why I don't like Evos or Japanese cars in general. This is LS1.com, it just comes accross to me that someone is trying to brag when they post timeslips/numbers/ect of their 4 cylinder import, as if they are trying to impress us. We don't own such vehicles because we like ours better. Simple as that. You could say the same thing about an F-Body owner on a Mitsubishi forum.

I'm going to bed. I got work tomarrow. Goodnight guys.
    Last edited by Wesman; 03-31-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I think you really took this whole "respect for your car thing" way, way to personally.

I mean I really don't know what to say...you took time out of your day to make a video about your Evo and post it on LS1.com?? Props to you for being very determined, I guess...

Please take this offensively...but your video in no way changed the way I feel about your car or japanese cars in general. I know how fast they can be made. I know how they drive. I base my opinion on that, not what people tell me on the internet.

And as I've said before, I don't like the way your car sounds. Thats my opinion, I don't think it sounds good at all, regardless of turbo whistle. And that was from inside the car. If you like it, then thats cool, whatever.

As for the performance...I think its pretty obvious that there's not much power before the turbo spools. You can see it in the video. When you stab the gas, the motor loads up on fuel (you get the little buck-buck from the engine, no torque available) and then it starts to accelerate. When you hit full boost, after the turbo spools at ~3200RPM, thats when you actually start making power.

I see that this issue has gone much too far for you to go out of your way and make a video to try and prove your point. It seems like you feel that people such as myself don't understand that your car is quick, which simply isn't true. Just because I don't share the same taste in vehicles as you doesn't mean I don't understand that cars such as yours can be made fast. Obviously any car can be made fast. It just comes down to money and availbility of parts.

If you like your car, then good for you. I don't want you to not like your car because some people on the internet (myself) have a different opinion than you. If we all drove the same car it would be borning anyway.

My point has always been explaining why I don't share the same opinion as you. Why I don't like Evos or Japanese cars in general. This is LS1.com, it just comes accross to me that someone is trying to brag when they post timeslips/numbers/ect of their 4 cylinder import, as if they are trying to impress us. We don't own such vehicles because we like ours better. Simple as that. You could say the same thing about an F-Body owner on a Mitsubishi forum.

I'm going to bed. I got work tomarrow. Goodnight guys.

Good post, you were respectful, and not insulting....good stuff, stay just like that and me and you = golden.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Good post, you were respectful, and not insulting....good stuff, stay just like that and me and you = golden.
    although, he did tell u to take it offensively. unless im missing something..

idk, but i am now subscribed to this thread lol

Black
    1999 ls1

You are in a ls1 forum The video proved one thing, you need boost to go fast. So how does it feel that you need boost to get 500 horses?

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by lt1dragon View Post
    You are in a ls1 forum The video proved one thing, you need boost to go fast. So how does it feel that you need boost to get 500 horses?

Um.....The same way it would feel to need anything else to get to 500 horses I guess....It's not like I sit there and go "Damn I wish I didnt have this turbo!"

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

4tun8- nice ride man.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

As an FYI....Mustang dyno's are load bearing. That load can be changed, producing different readings. It is impossible to directly compare a pull from a Mustang dyno to a Dynojet. 420 on a Mustang dyno might be 350 on a Dynojet, or 550 on a Dynojet. The dyno operator (if he's honest) can get you in the very general area.

In the end - who cares? The dyno doesn't go down the track. The car does.

I have no idea what your car weighs, but at 3300 lbs, it takes ~500 HP (at the flywheel) to go 124 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Did you account for AWD drivetrain loss? Honestly I dont care, I trapped 120 last night at the worst dragstrip ever....

My buddies STI that normally makes 380+ on a dynapack only made 320 on that mustang dyno, and I made 420, it will be close, but you're correct that the dyno number doesnt mean jack.

A stock evo IX dyno's from 210-225 on that dyno.

tell that to all the daily driven 10 sec or faster GN owners...

Or how about the diesel guys that can pull off quick times in a vehicle twice your weight, yet still get amazing gas mileage, dead on reliability and the ability to still function as it was intended.

yeah man boost sucks...

thats as ignorant as 60s muscle car fanatics asking you why you need fuel injection.....
    Last edited by Cleaner13; 03-31-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner13 View Post
    tell that to all the daily driven 10 sec or faster GN owners...
    GN cars....

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

So how does it feel that you need boost to get 500horses?
    If you have a V8 the import guys will say that thier lil 4 banger can keep up with your V8. If you have a turbo car, the above is what you get. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
    Last edited by mrr23; 03-31-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Quote Originally Posted by lt1dragon
    So how does it feel that you need boost to get 500horses?
    If you have a V8 the import guys will say that thier lil 4 banger can keep up with your V8. If you have a turbo car, the above is what you get. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
    Last edited by mrr23; 03-31-2007 at 08:03 PM.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Did you account for AWD drivetrain loss? Honestly I dont care, I trapped 120 last night at the worst dragstrip ever....
    No - I'm using a generic calculation just to get a ballpark flywheel number. Your actual number could be higher or lower.

As an opinion....and assuming I have your weight right (???), I'd estimate you're making closer to 450 RWHP (SAE, typical dynojet). But as you say below, it really doesn't matter (though dyno numbers are the 'thing' to some folks).

My buddies STI that normally makes 380+ on a dynapack only made 320 on that mustang dyno, and I made 420, it will be close, but you're correct that the dyno number doesnt mean jack.
    You may indeed make 500 WHP, and your guestimat may be right on the money (ie....420 on xxx dyno = 500 on yyy dyno). My statement was general in nature, and I believe it to be accurate. I was not trying to degrade you or your car.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Maybe cuz of his "no torque" is because i think, im not for sure when he hit it at 25mph he was in 2nd gear, if he wanted to show us how good it really goes he should have put it in 1st, but he was showing us that he still has torque before the turbo spools up. ( im not a 100% sure but i think that was 2nd gear). Anywayz it still got up good for the low RPM. Nice car man.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

yea props to u. no rice bashing here, your evo is pretty sweet.
    and if u dont mind me asking, how much money did it cost u to get up to ~500 horses? just wonderin

in the video it didnt really seem to be going 110. i believe u 100%, and it got up there REAL quick.

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

well 25 mph at 2500 rpm, i hope it isnt 1st gear!

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    I'll share!!

10 reasons not to own a Mustang
    1. Crappy Build Quality- My door panels have fallen off
    2. Plastic Intake Manifold- Mine blew up on the road one day, lovely treat.
    3. A/C Evaportors- Prone to Destruction, be warned
    4. Gear Synchro's- 2nd gear *GRIND* 3rd gear *GRIND*
    5. Radiators- I'll be damned if it didn't leak
    6. Odometer- It quit rolling, mileage is now unknown
    7. U-Joint- When this breaks, your fucked.
    8. Gas Tank- Don't fill your tanks or you might spring a leak!
    9. Oil Dumpster- After high mileage keep a funnel with you at *all* times
    10. SOHC- Weakest part about that motor, DOHC is the way to go.
    LMAo you dont know shit. The lsX intake is made out of the same material.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

DAMN. 110 MPH in a 45? Who has ever done such a thing? Only ricers? Ha ha ahahh ha ha, jk. Also, I can hear the close ratio transmission in that car, I bet 6th gear is not a .5 OD like in ours. (jealous) I know these cars (Evos, WRX's) are fast, 'specially when a bigger turbo/intercooler/higher pressure is involved, but I prefer the roar of a V8. Don't try to tell me how much more fun a FWD car is over a RWD (or AWD) car is tho, everyone knows that there are no FWD cars that compete in any real race series. Yes they can be fast, but so can any car with the right amount of $$$.
    4tune8, does your name mean 4 cyl tuned equals 8 cylinders, or does is mean you are "fortunate"? I like how you say you aren't afraid to put your face on the video, so many people are scared to do that for what reason I don't know.
    I like all fast cars, but still prefer ones that have 2 doors, V8 and RWD. Manually shifted is best also!
    Funny how Wesman has only responded twice, since you called him out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information