Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 168

I have a few Questions about Terminators

This is a discussion on I have a few Questions about Terminators within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by IceeWS6 u mean the 87 turbo t/a with the 3.8 gnx motor ... I think you mean ...

  1. #141
    Senior Member FasstChevys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,315

    White
    '10 ZR1

    Quote Originally Posted by IceeWS6 View Post
    u mean the 87 turbo t/a with the 3.8 gnx motor ...
    I think you mean '89 Turbo T/A.

    Quote Originally Posted by IceeWS6 View Post
    also, the turbo t/a with the 4.9 turbo motor ...
    Quite possibly the slowest Trans Am of all time.



    Quote Originally Posted by IceeWS6 View Post
    and its still a f/i car against an n/a car... now what if gm had done a special supercharged fbody... see what "terminates" what then...
    Yea, but they didn't. The closest they did to doing that was the '89 20th Anniversary Turbo T/A
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 06-22-2010 at 11:13 AM.

  2. #142
    Senior Member FasstChevys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,315

    White
    '10 ZR1

    Quote Originally Posted by IceeWS6 View Post
    ^ one thing i do regret is the inability to mount a roots style blower on my car lol
    Magnacharger?

  3. #143
    Senior Member FasstChevys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,315

    White
    '10 ZR1

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Ic you just talking about engine and parts. No fuel system, tune, harness, ecu, ignition. It still doesnt run or run right and fast without these other parts. Your fuel system wont even come close to support the kinda power you would need to make to take out a kenne bell cobra.
    Don't forget upgrading the transmission & rearend. Both are a must for the power we're talking about making.

  4. #144
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Almost, but not quite. The '89 20th Anniversary Trans Am made approximately 280 rwhp. 4th Gens are typically around 300 rwhp, right? Even so, it's a driver's race between the two in my opinion. 20 rwhp is worth approximately 2 tenths in the quarter, or about two cars lengths, which is why I say it's a driver's race.
    It should be closer than that,,,we can't forget that little third gen only weighed about 3300 lbs. compared to a 4th gen of ~3500 lbs.
    I got a 13.20 out of my buddies turbo TA back when it was new. A couple of tricks dropped it in the 12's later on. They were quicker than the GN's right out of the box.

    We also shouldn't forget it's not really about the HP with these little turbo cars, it's the amount of torque they make throughout the rpm range. They weren't RPM machines and generally shifted at 5,000 or less. (my typhoon shifted at 4500)

    You might see 280 rwhp with them, but you'll see 350 rwtq easily.

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Almost, but not quite. The '89 20th Anniversary Trans Am made approximately 280 rwhp. 4th Gens are typically around 300 rwhp, right? Even so, it's a driver's race between the two in my opinion. 20 rwhp is worth approximately 2 tenths in the quarter, or about two cars lengths, which is why I say it's a driver's race.
    I read an article a while back of the tta putting down 250rwh. Jack up the boost and 280 would be easy. And yes most ls1's are right at 300rwh.

  6. #146
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    I read an article a while back of the tta putting down 250rwh. Jack up the boost and 280 would be easy. And yes most ls1's are right at 300rwh.
    That is probably about right, but it doesn't tell the whole story though.

  7. #147
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    TTAs did not make 280 RWHP bone stock. Certainly that kind of power was stupid-easy to obtain - but not as-delivered from the factory. Of course, there is not much data from that era, simply because chassis dyno's were virtually non-existant till well into the 90's.

    Also, 89 TTAs didn't run 12's bone stock. I'll believe the 13.2 @ ~104-105 mph on a REALLY good day with a car that was behaving. Then again, on a REALLY good day with a car that was behaving, a 4th Gen LS1 would be in the high 12s.

    Not knocking the TTA at all....up until the LS1, it was the ONLY F-body that I ever really wanted (especially after having owned a beautiful looking but mechanically POS 85 Z28). BTW...it was also not a GNX motor - there were several differences.

  8. #148
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    TTAs did not make 280 RWHP bone stock. Certainly that kind of power was stupid-easy to obtain - but not as-delivered from the factory. Of course, there is not much data from that era, simply because chassis dyno's were virtually non-existant till well into the 90's.

    Also, 89 TTAs didn't run 12's bone stock. I'll believe the 13.2 @ ~104-105 mph on a REALLY good day with a car that was behaving. Then again, on a REALLY good day with a car that was behaving, a 4th Gen LS1 would be in the high 12s.

    Not knocking the TTA at all....up until the LS1, it was the ONLY F-body that I ever really wanted (especially after having owned a beautiful looking but mechanically POS 85 Z28). BTW...it was also not a GNX motor - there were several differences.
    Nobody said 280whp stock and 12s stock. Both those number were used when saying upped boost.

  9. #149
    Senior Member Transamws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    DMV
    Posts
    1,036

    NBM
    '00 A4 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by IceeWS6 View Post
    u mean the 87 turbo t/a with the 3.8 gnx motor
    also, the turbo t/a with the 4.9 turbo motor
    and its still a f/i car against an n/a car... now what if gm had done a special supercharged fbody... see what "terminates" what then...
    Yea, and I don't even want to imagine what the price tag would have been on that "special supercharged fbody". If you take what GM would have probably charged you for that car and compare it to the Cobra, it probably would have not been that great of a deal anyway IMO.
    Last edited by Transamws6; 06-22-2010 at 02:28 PM.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    TTAs did not make 280 RWHP bone stock. Certainly that kind of power was stupid-easy to obtain - but not as-delivered from the factory. Of course, there is not much data from that era, simply because chassis dyno's were virtually non-existant till well into the 90's.

    Also, 89 TTAs didn't run 12's bone stock. I'll believe the 13.2 @ ~104-105 mph on a REALLY good day with a car that was behaving. Then again, on a REALLY good day with a car that was behaving, a 4th Gen LS1 would be in the high 12s.

    Not knocking the TTA at all....up until the LS1, it was the ONLY F-body that I ever really wanted (especially after having owned a beautiful looking but mechanically POS 85 Z28). BTW...it was also not a GNX motor - there were several differences.
    Is there any proof of a TTA running 12's. Not that I dont believe it, ive just never seen anything better than mid 13's.

  11. #151
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Nobody said 280whp stock and 12s stock. Both those number were used when saying upped boost.
    Hmmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Almost, but not quite. The '89 20th Anniversary Trans Am made approximately 280 rwhp.....
    And....

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    .....That and I remember a lil 89 Turbo TA that was putting up better numbers then a 4th gen so....
    We all know that 4th Gen's have gone high 12's stock.

    Don't see anything in the posts I quoted which mentions "upped boost". Not that it is worth argueing about.

  12. #152
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Is there any proof of a TTA running 12's. Not that I dont believe it, ive just never seen anything better than mid 13's.
    Well you don't see them around much anymore. You are lucky to even find one forsale. And if you do, chances are good it's been tinkered with by now.

    But I can tell you they ran much faster than 12's with mods. As a matter of fact I remember a couple of them back then running easy 11's. People had the mods down pat and knew what worked for the most part since the GN had already been out for 3 years. The few GN guys I knew and ran around with had them running mid 11's at that time. Pretty damn fast for a street car in the late 80's. Fiscus who was a regular at the time and lived up the street (when I lived in Ohio) had his GN in the low 9's or high 8's at that time, and is now in the 7's from what I understand. One of the fastest turbo cars around at the time from what I remember. Lonnie who had his shop down the street from my house ran Extreme Automatics and built all the trannies for the turbo cars running around,,,,still does...
    Like I mentioned, my buddies TA went 13.20 (don't remember the mph) and it was a stocker, bought it new and still had the temp tag on it but he went back with a few changes and it dipped into the 12's and made it look easy.

  13. #153
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    They would absolutely run 12s with VERY few mods, and 11s without much more. Without a doubt they were quick for their day, and are still very respectable - if quite rare.

  14. #154
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    They would absolutely run 12s with VERY few mods, and 11s without much more. Without a doubt they were quick for their day, and are still very respectable - if quite rare.
    Ya, all this talk about it makes me wish I had another little turbo car

  15. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya, all this talk about it makes me wish I had another little turbo car
    I know of a turbo 91 lx for sale. Alot of good parts. It is a mustang though.

  16. #156
    Senior Member FasstChevys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,315

    White
    '10 ZR1

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya, all this talk about it makes me wish I had another little turbo car
    I gave my 30,000 mile TTA to my Mom last year for Mother's Day. She always told me that she wanted a car again after many years of owning 4x4 pickups to get around in the snow...........so, now she has one, and loves having it for sunny days

  17. #157
    Senior Member FasstChevys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,315

    White
    '10 ZR1

    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post



    And....

    And.......even if I was a little high in my estimate, I did say approximately.......which doesn't change the fact they'll run door to door with a 4th Gen, and it's still a driver's race. Especially since most people can't drag race a 6 speed to it's full potential (myself included), and all TTA's came with autos and are 'easier', which should help against a 6 speed 4th Gen, which everyone says are the quickest.

  18. #158
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    So what does a full bolt on, heads/cammed termi dyno?


    Highest E/I/C/H LS1 I have seen was 488 I believe.
    They have hit 500+...mind you ...with dynos..it all matters if it is calibrated and corrected numbers are posted.

  19. #159
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    And.......even if I was a little high in my estimate, I did say approximately.......which doesn't change the fact they'll run door to door with a 4th Gen, and it's still a driver's race. Especially since most people can't drag race a 6 speed to it's full potential (myself included), and all TTA's came with autos and are 'easier', which should help against a 6 speed 4th Gen, which everyone says are the quickest.
    Ya ok, whatever you say.

  20. #160
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    And.......even if I was a little high in my estimate, I did say approximately.......which doesn't change the fact they'll run door to door with a 4th Gen, and it's still a driver's race. Especially since most people can't drag race a 6 speed to it's full potential (myself included), and all TTA's came with autos and are 'easier', which should help against a 6 speed 4th Gen, which everyone says are the quickest.
    It's to hard to say, and it's only guessing really at this point. By the time the LS1's hit the streets, the 89 turbo TA's were already packed away in climate controlled garages.

    I rarely even see one at a cruise nite with 500+ cars. As a matter of fact It's been several years since I've seen one in person.

    Now we will never really know, since any 89 turbo TA's that might still be running around have been tweaked on,,,,,and any of them in stock pristine condition never come out of the garage.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. terminators...
    By freaky57fast in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 02:20 PM
  2. Terminators (Our Doom)
    By blackSS01 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 03:44 AM
  3. questions about ws6, vipers and terminators
    By Murder after Midnight in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 08:41 PM
  4. Terminators...
    By waite87 in forum Domestics and Foreigns
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 03:33 PM
  5. 5 terminators, a s/c mach, VIDEO
    By oneBADDz in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-09-2006, 09:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •