Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1900 Chevy

I got my $500 ready, does he?

After work I told one of the resident mechanics that if he ever wanted to run his 'ol pick-up I'm ready. So what'd the guy do? He got the 'ol tough guy "I'm too cool to tell you what I got" attitude and started spouting off about racing for money. Long story short I'm still trying to figure out if he is serious or not but there may be a $500 race coming here pretty soon. He didnt seemed fazed by the fact that I told him "Ok, cool I'll have a couple cameras there and we'll mark everything off and set the grounds for this if your really down."

Potential Race:

2006 GTO "Ghizzy" vs. 1999 Ford F-150 Lightning

I know this guy is going to need a whole lot more then a ratty Eaton blower making 360 at the crank if he hopes to really walk me like hes saying he will. I've heard and seen the truck alot, real quite, no lumppy idle, no high pulley whine....etc.... He better hope hes got a 150 shot to lean on or something because hes pushing less horse, a little more torque, and 1,000 pounds more then the Ghizzy.

F-150?:
    Bring the mutha-f*****n' ruckas.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

If I's him I'd tell you to bring cash for fear of the check bouncing. DO NOT under estimate the Lightnings. Although the 99's are not as impressive as the later gen's. Those trucks can be made fast very easily bro. Just be weary....
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

What mods do you have?

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

well i think you'll win, I raced a blue lightning(newer one) about a 3-4 months ago that had a tune and exhaust(that's all he admitted to, but that thing sure had a very serious whine) and I hung with him, as in dead even from a 60 roll and beat him off the line because he couldn't launch it, we went from a dig 3 times and the same thing every time-smoke city. And this was before my headers, exhaust and tune.
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Well, I think you just commited yourself to a stupid bet because if he has a seriously modded truck he will race, and you'll lose. And, if he doesn't he won't be stupid enough to race and he'll back down.

That's a negative expectation. I'm just a poker player, though.

Chris

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

He's probably thinking hes goona pass your GTO off like any other Mustang GT he walks occasionally. If you don't hear at least an exhaust note of terror or a high pitched whine from the blower, chances are he isn't going to be doing anything besides kissing his sister in 2nd place.

10's N/A

Find out what he's got before you run him. If he's stock, you'll blow his doors. Lightnings have lots of potential, but '99 stockers are 14-flat trucks on average. Find out if he's modded and then evaluate from their.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Be forewarned....modern EFI, blown motors don't need "lumpy idles" or loud mufflers to be really quick. Even bricks like the 2nd Gen Lightning. It is not at all uncommon to see a stock looking 99+ L to run way down into the 12s, and quite a few are faster than that. If its an 'old street racer', you'd best be on your guard. He might just be jerking your chain (quite possible). Or he might be really ready to take your money.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by CoolAid View Post
    After work I told one of the resident mechanics that if he ever wanted to run his 'ol pick-up I'm ready. So what'd the guy do? He got the 'ol tough guy "I'm too cool to tell you what I got" attitude and started spouting off about racing for money. Long story short I'm still trying to figure out if he is serious or not but there may be a $500 race coming here pretty soon. He didnt seemed fazed by the fact that I told him "Ok, cool I'll have a couple cameras there and we'll mark everything off and set the grounds for this if your really down."

Potential Race:

2006 GTO "Ghizzy" vs. 1999 Ford F-150 Lightning

I know this guy is going to need a whole lot more then a ratty Eaton blower making 360 at the crank if he hopes to really walk me like hes saying he will. I've heard and seen the truck alot, real quite, no lumppy idle, no high pulley whine....etc.... He better hope hes got a 150 shot to lean on or something because hes pushing less horse, a little more torque, and 1,000 pounds more then the Ghizzy.

F-150?:
    Bring the mutha-f*****n' ruckas.
    He probably caught whiff of your attitude so he got one too.

Like the others said...lightings aren't a joke and like any factory boosted engine they can be made fast very cheaply. Being that you're bone stock, talking smack to a 99 Lightning owner (8 years is a lot of modding time) isn't all that bright.

If I was you i'd at least get a canned tune before you run him...it'll really wake up your goat especially because it's drive-by-wire and a auto.

FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com

Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    Well, I think you just commited yourself to a stupid bet because if he has a seriously modded truck he will race, and you'll lose. And, if he doesn't he won't be stupid enough to race and he'll back down.

That's a negative expectation. I'm just a poker player, though.

Chris

I second this... my buddies dad had one a few years back, smaller pulley the rest stock, the truck would put up a hell of a fight. And especially since your car is "stock as stock can be."

Oh... and I'm going to play a poker tourney today in about an hour! Wish me luck

10's N/A

Take a look under his hood, that's all. If he's stock or near stock you don't even have to go that far - you could race him as his with no problem. If he's got significant mods then you know you might want to rethink things a bit.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Take a look under his hood, that's all. If he's stock or near stock you don't even have to go that far - you could race him as his with no problem. If he's got significant mods then you know you might want to rethink things a bit.
    I doubt that would help...the guy could have a ported blower, pulley and a tune...unless he knows what the stock pulley looks like he'd never know it was modded.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

And, who in their right mind, with money on it would let you look under their hood?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If it does have a pulley and or ported blower it will not sound anything like stock, just ask to hear him get on it a little first it will not sound like stock pushing a much higher psi. Plus who has a built truck with out replaceing that restrictive exhaust.

98T/Aformula
    The thing about money races is...............THEY NEVER HAPPEN

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Actually i jut watched one happen, a 89 mustang GT with 3.73 rear gears, 5 speed, intake headers and bassani x pipe. Against a 05 Monte Carlo SS supercharged with a 3inch pulley making almost 15psi. Only for 50 bucks, we marked off a quartermile with the T/A and waved em off, the stang pulled until about 70 or 80 at which point he had about 5 cars on the SS and by then end of the quarter the mustang only had about 1 and a bumper maybe.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

"2006 GTO "Ghizzy" " what the F' is a "Ghizzy", oh is it supposed to be like "ghizzy" that thing is slow. dont under estimate lightings just because you have a brand new "gt-oh im slow" .......especially when your stock

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by robjobiv View Post
    "2006 GTO "Ghizzy" " what the F' is a "Ghizzy", oh is it supposed to be like "ghizzy" that thing is slow. dont under estimate lightings just because you have a brand new "gt-oh im slow" .......especially when your stock
    Hey smart alick, your car isn't all that either, just because your mad @ the last guy u raced don't take it out on this guybesides I think your car is "SLOW"
    However, don't underestimate the lightning!!!
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

LOL. Youth and the LS1. Is there anything more entertaining?

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    LOL. Youth and the LS1. Is there anything more entertaining?
    Yep, nothing like it.......there is always "something" faster.....

Thread Information