Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

i ate my first snake

This is a discussion on i ate my first snake within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by mogs01gt try 11s, Ian Mullane runs 11s with a stock engined bolt on 2v GT. Probably a ...

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post

try 11s, Ian Mullane runs 11s with a stock engined bolt on 2v GT.

Probably a 98 if you said it had rounded edges.
    I think we need an official definition of "bolt ons" because some people have differant opinions of bolt ons.

To me, its: any non internal parts, if you can bolt it on without alot of work, its a bolt on.

The simple bolt ons are: Air filters/ CAI, Exhaust/headers/x or H pipes, programmer/chips, pulleys, mass air sensors, throttle bodies, spark plugs/wires, Drag radials, shifters, stuff like that.

Non bolt ons I consider are: Any internal engine parts, superchargers/NOS, heads/cams, gears, tranny parts, injectors/fuel pumps, Suspension parts,

Feel free to disagree, its only my opinion.
    Last edited by preston1980; 01-04-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

That sounds like a good thread, you know, what do you consider bolt-ons?

Head(s), cam(s), or rotating assembly changes would classify as non bolt-on in my book. Even though you do "bolt-on" heads. An intake swap is really iffy. On LS1's it is a 30 min to 1 hour snap to change, but for other cars it might take two or three hours.

Maybe it involves the time it takes to do the mod, but there is a huge gray area.

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    I think we need an aficial definition of "bolt ons" because some people have differant opinions of bolt ons.
    To me, its: any non internal parts, if you can bolt it on without alot of work, its a bolt on.
    The simple bolt ons are: Air filters/ CAI, Exhaust/headers/x or H pipes, programmer/chips, pulleys, mass air sensors, throttle bodies, spark plugs/wires, Drag radials, shifters, stuff like that.
    Non bolt ons I consider are: Any internal engine parts, superchargers/NOS, heads/cams, gears, tranny parts, injectors/fuel pumps, Suspension parts,
    Feel free to disagree, its only my opinion.
    The car in question is n/a and the engine is stock, 266rwhp to be exact. Bolt ons to me anything that you do not have to take off the valve covers or remove stock parts(like a cam install) to install. Forced induction isnt a bolt on. Suspension and gearing are bolt ons. You cant destroy the engine with those modifications.

Rocker arms is the only thing I can think of that could be considered a bolt on even though you are removing the valve cover. An intake manifold if fine to me since they are still flowing into stock heads.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

All the stuf I read says the 96-98 Cobra is a 14 sec car. I guess you would know though, having owned one.
    In 1999, My friend had a 97 Cobra (4.6 DOHC 305 HP) and he went 14.2 (at 98 mph.) best time at our local track in Rogersville. The car only had 20k miles on it and he could drive pretty well. He added a 100 dry shot and it made all the differance. Than he totaled it 5 months later. But we had fun while it lasted.

Also, I read that they are only 50 pounds lighter than a 99/01 Cobra. A 96-98 curb weight is (approx.) 3390 pounds, a 99/01 is (approx.) 3440 pounds.

I do know they (96-98) shared the same rear end gear and tranny gears as the 99/01.
    In bone stock trim, my 98 Cobra weighed 3495 lbs with me. My 99 weighed 3585 with me. For comparison, my 99 T/A weighed 3660 with me. All 3 cars come fully loaded, so equipment in each was comparable.

There are a lot of folks that do only run low 14s in N/A 4V Cobras. The really good ones at good tracks and in good air run mid 13s. Similarly, there are a lot of LS1 folks that only run mid-high 13s - but we all know what the really good drivers at really good tracks in really good air can do.

I'm friends with Ian Mullane, and have raced with and against him many times in the NMRA. I don't remember the 2V in question. Can you post a link to it from a different Forum? Certainly it is possible to run 11's with 266 RWHP, but the car would have to be stupid light....like under 3000 lbs with driver. Of course, Ian wouldn't add much weight to the car as the driver.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

thanx mogs, i kinda thought that too after listening to all this. i havent seen you on here in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    In bone stock trim, my 98 Cobra weighed 3495 lbs with me. My 99 weighed 3585 with me. For comparison, my 99 T/A weighed 3660 with me. All 3 cars come fully loaded, so equipment in each was comparable.

There are a lot of folks that do only run low 14s in N/A 4V Cobras. The really good ones at good tracks and in good air run mid 13s. Similarly, there are a lot of LS1 folks that only run mid-high 13s - but we all know what the really good drivers at really good tracks in really good air can do.

I'm friends with Ian Mullane, and have raced with and against him many times in the NMRA. I don't remember the 2V in question. Can you post a link to it from a different Forum? Certainly it is possible to run 11's with 266 RWHP, but the car would have to be stupid light....like under 3000 lbs with driver. Of course, Ian wouldn't add much weight to the car as the driver.
    go to modulardepot.com, he is a member at that Mustang site.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

I'm a longtime member of MD. I guess I'll go search.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

97 GT option 248A car (crank windows etc...)~110,000 miles
    01 PI engine ~30,000 miles
    MD tuned
    Accufab elbow
    Mezier electric water pump
    Hooker longtubes and x pipe
    Dynomax bullet mufflers with dumps
    AC, power steering and power brakes deleted
    Skinny Kid manual brake master cylinder
    B&M shifter
    Billet steel flywheel
    Spec clutch
    Aluminum driveshaft
    4.30 gears
    31 spline axles
    D&D tubular k-member
    Tubular foxbody a-arms
    130 lb 14" coilovers
    Strange adjustable struts
    Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates
    Steeda upper and lower control arms (adjustable uppers)
    QA1 adjustable rear shocks
    Bogart Bolted RT's 15x3.5 and 15x8 with powder coated black centers (very unique and nice looking) skinny fronts and 295/50/15 rear
    Holeshot 15x10 with 26x10 MT drags
    Autometer tach, water temp and oil pressure guages
    266 rwhp
    11.94 @111.6 with a 1.55 60ft 2900 lbs
    Neat. Car weighed 2900 lbs w/driver when that run was made.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Neat. Car weighed 2900 lbs w/driver when that run was made.
    To me, this car is not a bolt on car, its a race car, thats been gutted to weigh only 2900 pounds with the driver. And it is just barely a 11 sec car (11.94) with 26x10 drag slicks.

To have a 1.5 sec 60 foot time, it must really hook up of the line, but then to see only 111 mph at 11.94, means it dies on the second half of the quarter mile. With some more horsepower, it would probally see a higher trap speed and run 10's easily.

I think the original argument was saying the 2v 4.6 with bolt ons, would see a best time of 12's in the quarter mile, This statement did not take in account a fully gutted car.

Either way, to run an 11 sec. quarter in a 266 horsepower car is impressive. No matter how you get there.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Damn right it is! 266 at the wheels, 11 sec!! There are a lot of guys with 366 that can't pull that off.

To me, this car is not a bolt on car, its a race car, thats been gutted to weigh only 2900 pounds with the driver. And it is just barely a 11 sec car (11.94) with 26x10 drag slicks.

To have a 1.5 sec 60 foot time, it must really hook up of the line, but then to see only 111 mph at 11.94, means it dies on the second half of the quarter mile. With some more horsepower, it would probally see a higher trap speed and run 10's easily.

I think the original argument was saying the 2v 4.6 with bolt ons, would see a best time of 12's in the quarter mile, This statement did not take in account a fully gutted car.

Either way, to run an 11 sec. quarter in a 266 horsepower car is impressive. No matter how you get there.
    A bolt on car doenst meant it has to be a "street" car. I think that is where its bothering you. To me, everything he has is a bolt on. I think he has ran 11s more than once though. Still a great time, Im pretty sure Bill Putnam also ran a low low 12 with bolt ons but with a Bullitt intake. But Ian's is a GTs car though, those are a stripped out GT. No power, no nothing.
    Last edited by mogs01gt; 01-04-2007 at 06:37 AM.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar

try 11s, Ian Mullane runs 11s with a stock engined bolt on 2v GT.

well then in that case u can take a bolt on ls1..mod for mod as that gt, gut it like that prob is.. and run 10's with it

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    well then in that case u can take a bolt on ls1..mod for mod as that gt, gut it like that prob is.. and run 10's with it
    ok do you want a cookie or something?

Red
    02' Z28 M6

I have this neighbor in my sub, has a 97 vette, all stock interior, drives it on the highway and such, he has a 422 in it, manages to get 25-26 on the highway and he is pulling almost 500 at the wheels and does 10.6's at the Milan dragway here in Mich, just the motor/trans work.

all that work to make a mustang gt do an 11.9...... wast of time....should of put a real motor in it and saved us some grief.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    It's already been done. 97 Firebird with a transplanted internally-stock LS1 weighing ~2900 lbs raceweight (ie....totally gutted). Was run a couple of years ago. Go look up "Mangus" on LS1Tech.com for details.

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z View Post
    I have this neighbor in my sub, has a 97 vette, all stock interior, drives it on the highway and such, he has a 422 in it, manages to get 25-26 on the highway and he is pulling almost 500 at the wheels and does 10.6's at the Milan dragway here in Mich, just the motor/trans work.
    wow.

all that work to make a mustang gt do an 11.9...... wast of time....should of put a real motor in it and saved us some grief.
    Not worth any real comment. Please come back when you're old enough to type intelligently, please.

Red
    02' Z28 M6

Not worth any real comment. Please come back when you're old enough to type intelligently, please.[/QUOTE]

blow me!

like I said, waste of time to only do a 11.9, big waste of time.....are you sure there isn't another page to that list?

ok do you want a cookie or something?
    yeah i do!..chocolate chip..bitch!...lol

wow, tihs guy wins the "dumbest post of the day" award.

and I ate all the cookies beeyotch!!!!

wow, tihs guy wins the "dumbest post of the day" award.

and I ate all the cookies beeyotch!!!!
    shit,lol

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

blow me!

like I said, waste of time to only do a 11.9, big waste of time.....are you sure there isn't another page to that list?
    Ya, that is pretty big list....but probably not big enough.

Say....what does YOUR car run?

PS...though you might want me to, I will not blow you. Sorry.
    Last edited by BLKCLOUD; 01-05-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Edited to correct quotes

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information