Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

i ate my first snake

This is a discussion on i ate my first snake within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 now when u say full bolt on's...u dont mean head/cammed, s/c, t/c, or sprayed 99-04 gt's..do ...

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    now when u say full bolt on's...u dont mean head/cammed, s/c, t/c, or sprayed 99-04 gt's..do u?? Because no 99-04 gt with just bolt ons...(intake, full exhaust, tune, dr's, gears) is gonna be runnin mid 12's
    There is a green 99 GT that runs at Rockingham that runs 12's. I have asked many people and they all say he was not on the bottle and only had bolt-ons. This guy can drive. He coms off theline hard. He pulls 1.5x's. His car is modded by Custom Performance at Lowes Motor Speedway and I'm sure there are people on this board that have seen him at Rockingham.

My buddy has an 03 and he can't drive too well and we let him make a couple of passes and he was beating my buddies best times by 3/4 second and he was babying it off the line. I've watched one at Bristol and I ran one at Moorseville that was right up my ass when I was running the Eaton and 7.30's. He was clicking off low 8's. It is possible with full bolt-ons and some weight reductions. If Bob Cosby is well into the 11's with 300 plus rwhp then a modded out GT can run mid-12's.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    And even a stock LS1 will beat a 99 or 01 Cobra. LS1 engines were underated, they really push around 350 horsepower and 300 at the wheels.
    A 99 or 01 Cobra is lucky to see 320 at the crank, with around 270 at the wheels. And they are 5 speed cars with 3.27:1 rear end gears, compared to a 6 speed and 3.42:1 gears. Weight is about the same on the 2 cars. A auto LS1 car would be a close race with a 01 Cobra, but still beat a 99 pretty bad. The 99 was over rated, some owners even sued Ford for this problem.
    The stuff street legends are made. LS1's are making 350. Hum. Most dyno sheets I see are in the 280's. I'm talking SAE. I see too many punks running their mouths flashing around uncorrected dyno sheets or STD corrected. I also hear the "sleeper" BS. With todays manufacturing standards, you can bet all engines are within a point.

99 up Cobras are not making less than 320 crank. And no, no 99 owner ever sued Ford. This case was brought forth by Ford hater Robert Lane once a FOrd fan and founder of BON.com. I woned a 99. There was a recall with a new mandrel bent catback, extrude honed intake and a reflash. We also got a nice leather jacket from Ford. Something not many other car makers would do now would they.

I'd like to know what you call "bad". I've seen more LS1 F-bodies running 9's at 85 mph than I can shake a stick at. 85 mph tracks aint nowhere near 320 rwhp SAE. I can't tell you how many showed up at a track and eye ball me and make these faces before they saw me run and some have went out of their way to line up only to see what a basic bolt-on 03 Cobra run 7.3's. I'm sure those were all "undefeated" or "330 rwhp bone stock" or a "sleeper" car only to find out real world. I could have easily beaten any of those cars in my 99. My 01 was a vert.

I'd like to know how a 280-290 rwhp SAE LS1 is going to whip up on a 99/01 Cobra making near the same rwhp. Plus, throw in 4.10 gears and 99/01 Cobras are more than up to the challenge of running with an F-Body. I quit racing long ago. But, I did run my 99 and 01's on the street and I never ran an F-Body owner that would line up and not jump the start.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

The 01 Cobra I had was fast without gears. With them, it was wicked. I busted my share with that thing. I think the 01 was the fastest of the N/A Cobra's, except the 2000 R of course.

My H/C Z28 would spank its pussy though. Hard.

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumped03 View Post
    The stuff street legends are made. LS1's are making 350. Hum. Most dyno sheets I see are in the 280's. I'm talking SAE. I see too many punks running their mouths flashing around uncorrected dyno sheets or STD corrected. I also hear the "sleeper" BS. With todays manufacturing standards, you can bet all engines are within a point.

99 up Cobras are not making less than 320 crank. And no, no 99 owner ever sued Ford. This case was brought forth by Ford hater Robert Lane once a FOrd fan and founder of BON.com. I woned a 99. There was a recall with a new mandrel bent catback, extrude honed intake and a reflash. We also got a nice leather jacket from Ford. Something not many other car makers would do now would they.

I'd like to know what you call "bad". I've seen more LS1 F-bodies running 9's at 85 mph than I can shake a stick at. 85 mph tracks aint nowhere near 320 rwhp SAE. I can't tell you how many showed up at a track and eye ball me and make these faces before they saw me run and some have went out of their way to line up only to see what a basic bolt-on 03 Cobra run 7.3's. I'm sure those were all "undefeated" or "330 rwhp bone stock" or a "sleeper" car only to find out real world. I could have easily beaten any of those cars in my 99. My 01 was a vert.

I'd like to know how a 280-290 rwhp SAE LS1 is going to whip up on a 99/01 Cobra making near the same rwhp. Plus, throw in 4.10 gears and 99/01 Cobras are more than up to the challenge of running with an F-Body. I quit racing long ago. But, I did run my 99 and 01's on the street and I never ran an F-Body owner that would line up and not jump the start.

I geruntee you an LS1 Would "whip" a 99-01 cobra...."theres no replacement(4.6) for displacement (5.7)" ive taken out an 01 cobra when i was BONE STOCK...i dont know what town you live in where LS1's are in the 14's but around here where i live they are mid 11's with bolt ons to mid 13's stock.

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    i guess LS1's are Dogs

Silver
    03 Cobra

i have seen a 01 cobra with only a borla catback stomp an 01 SS with all the SLP options, said SS dynoed 325rwhp and 346 tq. put a good driver and a set of gears in a 99-01 cobra or mach 1 for that matter and it could go 12's all day. my 01 gt with an x-pipe went 13.3@103.95. and that was with a 2.2 60'. but your average mustang owner you run into on the street usually cant drive for shit.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

That is funny, that was my first mod on my 01 was a Borla Catback. Then Bassani full-length headers and catless X-pipe. Then, 3.73's. Wish I would have put 4.10's in it. I am telling you guys, that thing was wicked, and had the best exhaust note this side of the Mississippi.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Yea yea all this talk about what a mustang can do....put an exhaust and gears on an ls1 and you are for sure in the 12s "all day"

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Pumped03;518266]There is a green 99 GT that runs at Rockingham that runs 12's. I have asked many people and they all say he was not on the bottle and only had bolt-ons. This guy can drive. He coms off theline hard. He pulls 1.5x's. His car is modded by Custom Performance at Lowes Motor Speedway and I'm sure there are people on this board that have seen him at Rockingham.

sorry but i dont care how hard he launches....with a (intake, full exhaust, tune, dr's, gears) he might just be gettin close to 12's...but i dont see him goin faster than low 13's...even if hes an awesome driver ...with those mods that car is only like 270rwhp..if that
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

If he has 4.56's, and shifts quicker than Shumacher, a GREAT driver might pull it off.

Silver
    03 Cobra

4.56 is too tall for a gt. he would have to shift to 5th. 4.10 would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    If he has 4.56's, and shifts quicker than Shumacher, a GREAT driver might pull it off.
    yeah...im not sayin its impossible either...but u must agree that prob more than 97% of 99-04 gt's with those bolt ons arent hittin 12's....and thats why im sayin just because if it happens once is not a reason to base a whole theory of off...just like everyone that buys a ls1 can't expect to be running 12's stock...eventhough that has been done before

a ls1 making 280rwhp is like saying a 99-01 cobra making 250rwhp or a 99-04 gt making 220rwhp...ur just taking the most worse numbers on record of a ls1 engine producing....DONT know what ls1's your looking at but on average they put down 300rwhp

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I raced a 99-02 Cobra on the highway. My 00 Z is a basically stock A4 / 2.73 car. I've got a lid and some free mods. The red Cobra was getting on the freeway right behind me (we had been eyeballing eachother in traffic before we got on the highway. He and I were both older guys). As I pulled onto the left lane I saw his nose come up in my rearview mirror and realized he was on it. I did the same and just pulled and pulled on him till his nose dropped again around 110 mph. He was way behind and done trying. I relate this story because it demonstrates that most 4.6L's that are N/A don't compete well against LS1's. I've ridden in an 03 Cobra convertible with the Kenne Bell S/C and a 100 shot and they have my sincere respect, both on and off the bottle.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

As far as the lawsuits go, I have read about people and groups suing Ford/SVT for the many differant problems with the 1999 Cobra, one being the horsepower. I am not 100% sure of the actuall lawsuit though. But it took alot of pressure to be put on Ford before they took action and recalled them for service.
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...29db8ed006e3d8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svt_cobra

While the Cobra claimed 320 hp (239 kW), some magazines and owners contradicted it. 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords claimed that it actually exceeded the torque rating, but didn't quite match the power rating. Ford responded to complaints by issuing a recall on 1999 model Cobras, which were given computer, intake, and exhaust improvements, to match the original claim of 320 hp. As a result, the Cobra production was halted in 2000 (except the limited Cobra R) while the company was developing new parts to regain the missing power. The changes were incorporated into the 2001 model and the Cobra can achieved 1/4 mile times in the lower to mid-13 second range.

This article is saying the 99 Cobra was short on advertised horsepower, and the 01 cobra was faster, that was all I was saying. And I also know from experiance that any stock 98-02 TA or Camaro LS1 will beat a stock 99 Cobra by an average of a 5/10ths of a second in the quarter mile from all the research I have done. And that is what I consider "bad", a half sec in the quarter, which is like 4-5 car lengths. Most stock 99 Cobras are lucky to see a 13.9 sec. quarter, even with the free re-flash and upgrades that SVT gave later, they only saw a 13.7 -13.8 range.

While the stock 01 models are getting around 13.6 range. A stock Maro or TA LS1 will run better than both of these cars (alot better than the 99) Even an auto LS1 vs the 5 speed Cobra will go to the LS1 every time. But most LS1's are seeing 300 rear wheel horsepower stock. This is because GM underated the engine stats, as to where Ford overrated the stats on the Cobra, see the differance is in the word: "Over" and "Under" 2 completly differant words.
    Which would explain why some stock SS Camaros have been tested in the 12's. Not the norm I know.

And remember I own a Cobra, and have owned LS1's also, so I am not bias either way. Just going off experiance and internet/magazine research.
    Last edited by preston1980; 12-29-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Awaiting Activation
    a ls1 making 280rwhp is like saying a 99-01 cobra making 250rwhp or a 99-04 gt making 220rwhp...ur just taking the most worse numbers on record of a ls1 engine producing....DONT know what ls1's your looking at but on average they put down 300rwhp
    300 what? What correction? STD? Uncorrected? 300 STD would be about 290 SAE.

Awaiting Activation
    yeah...im not sayin its impossible either...but u must agree that prob more than 97% of 99-04 gt's with those bolt ons arent hittin 12's....and thats why im sayin just because if it happens once is not a reason to base a whole theory of off...just like everyone that buys a ls1 can't expect to be running 12's stock...eventhough that has been done before
    This is my first pass after I installed the KB. I ran this GT in that pass. My ET was bad because I had to lift because I didn't have enough air in a new set of 17 inch ET Streets I was running.

I don't judge a car by what most are running. I judge one by what the best driver can get out of it.

Awaiting Activation
    [QUOTE=blackz-lt1;521562]
    There is a green 99 GT that runs at Rockingham that runs 12's. I have asked many people and they all say he was not on the bottle and only had bolt-ons. This guy can drive. He coms off theline hard. He pulls 1.5x's. His car is modded by Custom Performance at Lowes Motor Speedway and I'm sure there are people on this board that have seen him at Rockingham.

sorry but i dont care how hard he launches....with a (intake, full exhaust, tune, dr's, gears) he might just be gettin close to 12's...but i dont see him goin faster than low 13's...even if hes an awesome driver ...with those mods that car is only like 270rwhp..if that
    WTF. If an average driver is getting say 12.9's with a 1.9 sixty footer, then a driver that gets a 1.5 sixty footer would pull a 12.3. Rule is every tenth off a sixty foor is 1.5 tenth at the line. That's like the dumbass Z06 owner that told me torque didn't have anything to do with running a drag. He said that's why an F250 TD isn't going to run a good ET. Well, I'll tell ya that 580 rwt SAE at 3000 rpm will stomp the shit out of a car with about the same HP but a lot less torque.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteRiderWs6 View Post
    I geruntee you an LS1 Would "whip" a 99-01 cobra...."theres no replacement(4.6) for displacement (5.7)" ive taken out an 01 cobra when i was BONE STOCK...i dont know what town you live in where LS1's are in the 14's but around here where i live they are mid 11's with bolt ons to mid 13's stock.
    You "gerunteee" it. Bwhahahaha.

Mid 11's with bolt-ons. Bull shit. Maybe with a 75 shot. I've raced all over the mid-Atlantic, Darlington, Bristol, Rockingham, Wilkesboro, Mooresville, Richmond, Shadyside, Elk Creek, Farmington and I have never seen a bolt-on LS1 run anywhere near mid-11's.

I like the no replacement for displacement quip. My 4.6 does farily well and I've stomped the crap out of every F-Body it lined up against except one and that was when I was trying out a set of borrowed 28 inch tall Et Streets that killed my times. How do you explain a Supra? What about the 2.8 ltr turbo engine Ford put in the SVO and the Turbo coupe they have in this months 5.0 Mustang magazine running 9's at 140's. I have a buddy with an SVO that's making 380 rwhp on the bonestock bottom end 4 cyl. turbo. Hum. But, Ford finally listened with the Shelby.
    Last edited by Pumped03; 12-29-2006 at 03:59 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information