Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

How would a 3000 GT VR4 Twin Turbo do against a LT1 or LS1 F-body?

This is a discussion on How would a 3000 GT VR4 Twin Turbo do against a LT1 or LS1 F-body? within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; http://videos.streetfire.net/video/f...0d00144cf1.htm...

Black
    2000 T/A

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

13.1 isnt bad for bolt ons IMO.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Those cars break whe nyou try and run anythign but stock turbos on those motors. Unless you build everythign up. They also weigh a ton. I have seen bolt on 3000GTs not be able to break out of the 14s. It used to be a clsoe race with my stock lt1 that ran a 14.2 when i woudl race bolt on 3000GT VR4s

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

VR4s are not fast. They were a good run for my stock 5.0 back in the day, but the 5.0 was faster.... Ran a 14.2@98mph in it nearly bone stock.

Chris

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    +1 on it being a good race. I dont think an A4 LT1 can take it but the M6 LS1 surely can. The VR4's are 6speeds and AWD and weigh a ridiculous 3800lbs (give or take 50). Just make sure he's not modded! Full exhaust and a boost controller will add in the neighborhood of 50whp.
    very true what is said above. if you have $300 to burn you could order intake tb bypass and the thing that goes inbetween the blades of the throttlebodie and a cutout and you would gain like 30 horsepower at least and i bet you might be able to beat him then. but the m6 ls1 will handle him. also what gears do you have in it?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOverall View Post
    i know it's old... it was just eating away at me the way the 3000 was getting trashed
    Ummm...why?? The 3000GT is a piece of crap, plain and simple.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

My VR4 was fast as hell!! I broke 200mph in it!

But that was in Gran Turismo 2.

IRL they suck, and they are blown.

Black
    1993 3000GT VR-4

I love reading threads like this...

I currently drive a 93 VR-4. Its a 5 spd and probably the best year to mod. With stock turbos i ran a 12.6 @ 108. I have modded just about everything on the car now. Just need to make a trip to the track once its tuned. With a shit tune last year i ran a 11.7 @ 124 at ~22psi. My turbos will push over 30 and hold ~28 to redline.

People say they break... When mine was BPU, i beat the shit out of it and treated it like a red headed step child and it never gave me issues. The biggest issue with these is the transfer case on the 5 spds. They were aluminum. If you keep stock size tires on them, they should be fine. You also have to remember there are alot of 16 year old kids side stepping the clutch at 7k. Shits gunna break then. There is now replacement transfer cases out now for the 5 spds. In 94 they switched to a 6 spd and cast iron transfer cases. Now, the big power guys on 3si are cracking the 6 spd bell housings to which they are welding plates to stiffen those up. Remember how many people break the rear ends on Fbody's...

People say they are heavy... Of course they are. They weigth ~3800. They come with nice power leather seats, active exhaust, active suspension, all wheel drive, all wheel stearing, auto climate control. They were made to be a GT car, not a full out sports car. Look at the GTO's for weight and it should make sense.

People say they run out of breath up top... Thats only with stock turbos. The stockers are small and are designed to spool up quickly.

FYI - I've had mine for 4 years and am looking to move on to something else (possible F body) so im not flaming anyone personally, just advising.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I ran a 12.8 at 110 with just exhaust and a intake. LS1 cars with just a cam swap and drag radials with rear end gears have gone low 11s. A 11.7 is good, what internals do you have. If your telling me your gonna run 30psi on stock internals and you think it will last you are mistaken. Like i said they can be fast built but stock for stock they dont compare to a ls1. Good race for the lt1 though. All wheel drive is only better if the other guy can hook, otherwise you just loose alot more power from the crank to the wheels. The fastest setup for drag racing is rear wheel drive. You just need big enough tires to launch at 5grand and not spin.

Black
    2000 T/A

did anyone eve n look at that video i posted??

Black
    1993 3000GT VR-4

James - No i didn't watch the video you posted... im at work and didn't want to kick on the sound in my cubical

2000T/A - stock forged crank, stock forged rods, 8.5CR JE pistons .020 over. fully balanced. Im not a fan of the LT1's. I do love the LSX's though. They are extremely potent with heads, cams, N20, intake and exahust.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Acutally i know a guy running 15psi with stock compression ratio with heads/cam/ forged internals. Still same cubic inch made aroudn 700rwhp, with meth injection almsot 800. So they can be beast in any area. But yes with stock internals heads/ cam/ 150shot=mid 10 second car with drag radials. I also dont liek the lt1 compared to the ls1, but the lt1 is a still a good motor, hell i beat the shit out of my 96 formula for 2 years across 20 states, and traded it in to the dealership for only 500 dollars less than i paid for it and 60k miles more on it.

Black
    1993 3000GT VR-4

Watched the vid... very nice. Wish it had a better zoom.

i'd have to see a dyno chart on that. I cant believe that at only 15psi. Meth inj doesn't add horsepower. its used to boost octane to fend off knock. Its like a chemical intercooler for our cars. So maybe he upped the boost. My friend can get about 18-21 psi on pump gas spraying water/meth.

I dont doubt you can beat the hell out of a LT1, it is a chevy small block. The LS1 seems to be a better platform for mods. My first car was a 95 blazer with a 4.3. pretty much a 350 minus 2 cylinders. I couldn't kill that motor, and trust me i tried. Took out the tranny though! Damn 4L60E!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I had a 01 Jimmy with the 4.3liter. Went through a couple rear ends. But never the engine. I hooked up a leaf blower to the cold air intake and it could chirp the tires at 30mph if I threw it in first and floored it with the leaf blower going.

Black
    2000 T/A

in that vid both of those cars are very built

10's N/A

The 3000 GT and LT1 F-bodies were very close in their years. The 300ZX was quicker than both

Black
    2000 T/A

yes

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Flyman1981 View Post
    I love reading threads like this...

I currently drive a 93 VR-4. Its a 5 spd and probably the best year to mod. With stock turbos i ran a 12.6 @ 108. I have modded just about everything on the car now. Just need to make a trip to the track once its tuned. With a shit tune last year i ran a 11.7 @ 124 at ~22psi. My turbos will push over 30 and hold ~28 to redline.

People say they break... When mine was BPU, i beat the shit out of it and treated it like a red headed step child and it never gave me issues. The biggest issue with these is the transfer case on the 5 spds. They were aluminum. If you keep stock size tires on them, they should be fine. You also have to remember there are alot of 16 year old kids side stepping the clutch at 7k. Shits gunna break then. There is now replacement transfer cases out now for the 5 spds. In 94 they switched to a 6 spd and cast iron transfer cases. Now, the big power guys on 3si are cracking the 6 spd bell housings to which they are welding plates to stiffen those up. Remember how many people break the rear ends on Fbody's...

People say they are heavy... Of course they are. They weigth ~3800. They come with nice power leather seats, active exhaust, active suspension, all wheel drive, all wheel stearing, auto climate control. They were made to be a GT car, not a full out sports car. Look at the GTO's for weight and it should make sense.

People say they run out of breath up top... Thats only with stock turbos. The stockers are small and are designed to spool up quickly.

FYI - I've had mine for 4 years and am looking to move on to something else (possible F body) so im not flaming anyone personally, just advising.
    I love it when owners of whatever piece of junk car is getting ripped on somehow sprout up out of nowhere to defend the precious honor of their car, along with provide examples of how perfect their car is and how they have none of the problems that EVERY OTHER DAMN CAR is known to be plagued with. Very interesting, comical actually.

Black
    2000 T/A

watch this guys...

Sport gold metallic is the fucking gayest color for these f-bodies

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

I love it when owners of whatever piece of junk car is getting ripped on somehow sprout up out of nowhere to defend the precious honor of their car, along with provide examples of how perfect their car is and how they have none of the problems that EVERY OTHER DAMN CAR is known to be plagued with. Very interesting, comical actually.
    You mean like the same EXACT thing you did on SVTperformance before you got banned?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information