Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

how to race on an m6 fbody

This is a discussion on how to race on an m6 fbody within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I have always driven Automatic fbody's and i just bought a 2002 formula firehawk m6, my question is what tips ...

  1. #1
    2002 Formula Firehawk 96z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,321

    Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

    how to race on an m6 fbody

    I have always driven Automatic fbody's and i just bought a 2002 formula firehawk m6, my question is what tips do you guys have when it comes to peeling off, racing, how to get the best out of the engine, etc. I know that it is just a matter of time for me to get used to the m6 but just want to hear you guys' input on the subject
    Victor
    2000 z28 A4
    2002 Formula Firehawk M6

  2. #2
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    you just want to have the rpms at at least 3k when you're racing from a roll, you want to be in the gear that puts you in your power band at that speed

  3. #3
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    for burning out you just dump it in first gear, but make sure you're rolling a bit , when you're rolling its less of a shock/strain on your drivetrain

  4. #4
    2002 Formula Firehawk 96z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,321

    Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

    i used to have a 89 broncoII 5 speed. hehe but yes this is my first fbody with manual transmission

  5. #5
    Member ProwlerZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    33
    Posts
    404

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    for burning out you just dump it in first gear, but make sure you're rolling a bit , when you're rolling its less of a shock/strain on your drivetrain
    No no no... That'll lead to a new clutch and 5k mile tire replacements.


    I'm thinking that you're trying to tell him how to "do a burn out"... that's a no-brainer. I'd say he's asking how to launch. <---Don't dump it, unless you've got stickies out back, ease into it, you probably won't get full throttle in first gear. It's been a while since stock power/gears etc. but I'm pretty sure that WOT in first will put you sideways.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

    '02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

  6. #6
    SS#430 1 of 74 7camaro7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

    not mine with my kumhos on it, it will spin in first at most while grippin pretty good and by 2nd I'm just gone. my tires are kumho excta mx and I don't have much of a traction problem unless I go over board with the gas

  7. #7
    SS#430 1 of 74 7camaro7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

    once you're rolling, what's the best rpm to shift at? I think that's my only problem.

  8. #8
    Member 05gtoautoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    riverton
    Posts
    556

    Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

    just before redline, depending on how fast you can shift, if you're a slower shifter shift 500+- a few RPMs below redline
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

  9. #9
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    I have a spec3 in mine and even before my suspension goodies, i launched @ about 1200 rpms on street tires. Yep, 1200-just let it out nice and swift and once you move about 10feet forward bury it until 5000 and go to 2nd, then take the rest up to 6500 or so.

    If you dump the clutch, you'll spin and yes, the car WILL careen [sp?] sideways and you could blast into the person next to you.

    don't let adreniline get the best of you; pay attention to your gauges and forget the guy next to you b/c yer gonna smoke him anyway. Capicce?


    Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

  10. #10
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    here, check me out in the 2nd race, i'm the car next to the camera car. he's auto, i'm stick. I just patty-caked the launch and took it home from there.

    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/B...911FE19177.htm

  11. #11
    SS#430 1 of 74 7camaro7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

    why don't you leave it in till 6500 in first if you do for the rest of the gears?

    and isn't 6500 way too high and wouldn't that possibly blow your engine?

  12. #12
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    No no no... That'll lead to a new clutch and 5k mile tire replacements.


    I'm thinking that you're trying to tell him how to "do a burn out"... that's a no-brainer. I'd say he's asking how to launch. <---Don't dump it, unless you've got stickies out back, ease into it, you probably won't get full throttle in first gear. It's been a while since stock power/gears etc. but I'm pretty sure that WOT in first will put you sideways.
    you are correct, i was telling him how to burnout

  13. #13
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    and WOT in first wont put you sideways if you're a ws6 or a ss, at least mine anyways, i've got brand new dunlop 275's on there and they hop a bit but mostly just grab

  14. #14
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    I have a spec3 in mine and even before my suspension goodies, i launched @ about 1200 rpms on street tires. Yep, 1200-just let it out nice and swift and once you move about 10feet forward bury it until 5000 and go to 2nd, then take the rest up to 6500 or so.

    If you dump the clutch, you'll spin and yes, the car WILL careen [sp?] sideways and you could blast into the person next to you.

    don't let adreniline get the best of you; pay attention to your gauges and forget the guy next to you b/c yer gonna smoke him anyway. Capicce?
    yea take it past the stock limiter at 6200

  15. #15
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    why don't you leave it in till 6500 in first if you do for the rest of the gears?

    and isn't 6500 way too high and wouldn't that possibly blow your engine?
    b/c the tq on 1st tops out around 5300 or so and it's pointless to keep on it in such a big gear. yes, you could blow your engine if every single shift on every single drive of every day was taken up to 6500, but since you shift @ 2 or 3 for normal driving, you'll be fine to take it up high during racing. Besides, most rev limiters tell you when you can't go any further.

  16. #16
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    dont take it to 6500 you make no power there, your powerband ends pretty much at 6100-6200 rpm but at that point your're risking engine damage, shift at 5500 and you'll end up shifting at 6000 by the time you react

  17. #17
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    pussy.

  18. #18
    SS#430 1 of 74 7camaro7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

    Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    and WOT in first wont put you sideways if you're a ws6 or a ss, at least mine anyways, i've got brand new dunlop 275's on there and they hop a bit but mostly just grab
    hahaha, I think I'll keep it below 6000rpm, I'm in college and I will wait till I have money to blow to find out other wise hahaha

    and yea, man I haven't really ever gotten sideways in mine, I've been in it hard too and I just keep straight and leave 2 black marks. I have had a couple times that mine got a little sideways, but over all no.

  19. #19
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    i have a ws.6, i had stock suspension and 275's. i put it sideways on 3k launches.

  20. #20
    2002 Formula Firehawk 96z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,321

    Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

    awsome feedback...exactly what i was looking for

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Road Race Fox Mustang - Build A Budget Race Car, P
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 11:10 PM
  2. NASCAR Race Engines - Arms Race
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 08:17 PM
  3. whatever happened to that Turbo NSX vs FBody race?
    By TrickStang37 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 08:57 PM
  4. ls1 vs. m3 close race! (First race)
    By Contra[SS] in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 07:37 PM
  5. nice race in the t/a and then my g/fs first street race
    By MaxPlusTen in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 11:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •