Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here it is finally: Shelby video

It didn't convert very well and they disable the audio, but here it is.

What exactly are you trying to show?Its a five minute video of driving some back roads.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

You beat me to the punch. Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Love the "#30k CamaroSS vs $60k Shelby" moniker too.

Oh...and uh....nice kill?

White
    09 G8 GT

yeah thats retarded.....need audio. sound=supercharger whine

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

how did it get banned for copyright?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

oh, Shelby the car

I was expecting it to handle the curves much better than the camaro. That's all. You can't tell it very well from the video, but we were hitting 75mph on those curves. In my other cars 50mph is pushing it on this road. I just thought it would walk away from me. Sorry it's not more exciting than that, but I'm happy my $30k (7 year old) car can hang with a $60k (new) car.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    What exactly are you trying to show?Its a five minute video of driving some back roads.
    I'm trying to show that it didn't handle the cuvres any better than a car thats half the price.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

As heavy as it is, probably doesn't handle curves any better - though the "half the price" arguement is silly. How much road racing have you done? How much road racing has the guy driving the Shelby done? Was he really trying to out-handle you, or just having fun? See the point?

Regardless, a good driver in a poor handling car can easily "hang with" a mediocre driver in a good handling car. There is far more emphasis on the driver in road racing than there is in drag racing.

And you could probably find a car costing 3x as much as yours that you could do the same thing to. A vice versa.

Pretty country though.

PS....did you know that the price of cars have gone up in the last 6 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    As heavy as it is, probably doesn't handle curves any better - though the "half the price" arguement is silly. How much road racing have you done? How much road racing has the guy driving the Shelby done? Was he really trying to out-handle you, or just having fun? See the point?

Regardless, a good driver in a poor handling car can easily "hang with" a mediocre driver in a good handling car. There is far more emphasis on the driver in road racing than there is in drag racing.

And you could probably find a car costing 3x as much as yours that you could do the same thing to. A vice versa.

Pretty country though.

PS....did you know that the price of cars have gone up in the last 6 years or so.

Pretty country though.

No, I haven't done any road racing to speak of and I fall into the category of a "mediocre" driver at best. I guess that's why I was so impressed with the camaro, because it did the work, not me. As for if he was trying to out handle me the answer is yes. You can tell from the acceleration on the straights followed by all the braking entering into the curves the he was driving hard.

I do know that the price of cars have gone up over the last 6 years and I also know the price of 02 camaros have fallen. So really it's a $10,000 car vs a $60,000 car.

I guess I'm too easy to impress.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

Well mark-ups aside the shelby is really like a 45,000 car.

willys srt8
    i don't get it. was this suspose to be a race?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Um, not quite sure what's goin' on there. But I did notice the mustang person was useing the brakes when they were'nt needed. Some of the corners were banked enough to not need them. Nice run I guess?
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by white lightning View Post
    No, I haven't done any road racing to speak of and I fall into the category of a "mediocre" driver at best. I guess that's why I was so impressed with the camaro, because it did the work, not me. As for if he was trying to out handle me the answer is yes. You can tell from the acceleration on the straights followed by all the braking entering into the curves the he was driving hard.

I do know that the price of cars have gone up over the last 6 years and I also know the price of 02 camaros have fallen. So really it's a $10,000 car vs a $60,000 car.

I guess I'm too easy to impress.
    Somebody who can't drive looks like they are driving hard because they are doing everything............................wrong. It's the good driver who looks smooth.

You keep bringing up the price. What's that got to do with the price of broiled cat in Malasia?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Pretty country though.

For example, Sam Strano could beat you both in a road race, driving a Pinto with an ice cream cone in one hand....

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Pretty country though.

Really? Then why is the msrp of the new camaro SS 33k and the msrp of a 02 camaro SS was 33k. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bottom line on the subject of the post versus the intent.... it is pointless. That is probably why the video is rated 1 out of 5 stars on YouTube. You happened to catch a nice outdoors "stroll through the country". Having never even talked to the owner of the other car, you don't even know if they were trying or not. Besides, as stated earlier, they were breaking constantly when it was needed. Not exactly "semi-pro" driving there.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Really? Then why is the msrp of the new camaro SS 33k and the msrp of a 02 camaro SS was 33k. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    That is quite simple, my friend. In 2002, the Camaro "pecking" order went like this:

V6
    Z28 (base V8)
    SS (top dog V8)

In 2010, the Camaro "pecking" order was supposed to go like this:

V6
    SS (base V8)
    Z28 (top dog V8)

The SS is the "base" V8. The proposed 2010 Z28 was going to be a blown LSx "top dog", but was at least delayed, and given the current economic issues that GM finds itself in, I wouldn't bet the farm on it coming out.

So, for those of you that haven't already realized this....a 2010 SS is comparable to a 2002 Z28. Kindly look up the base price of a 2002 Z28 and compare it to the base price of a 2010 SS. Not saying the 2010 SS isn't a good value (all things considered, it is). But your assertion that the net result is that prices haven't gone up over the past 8 model years is looney tunes.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm indeed.

Next.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

That is quite simple, my friend. In 2002, the Camaro "pecking" order went like this:

V6
    Z28 (base V8)
    SS (top dog V8)

In 2010, the Camaro "pecking" order was supposed to go like this:

V6
    SS (base V8)
    Z28 (top dog V8)

The SS is the "base" V8. The proposed 2010 Z28 was going to be a blown LSx "top dog", but was at least delayed, and given the current economic issues that GM finds itself in, I wouldn't bet the farm on it coming out.

So, for those of you that haven't already realized this....a 2010 SS is comparable to a 2002 Z28. Kindly look up the base price of a 2002 Z28 and compare it to the base price of a 2010 SS. Not saying the 2010 SS isn't a good value (all things considered, it is). But your assertion that the net result is that prices haven't gone up over the past 8 model years is looney tunes.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm indeed.

Next.

Still doesnt change the fact that the 02 camaro SS and 2010 camaro SS have the same MSRP, you said car prices have gone up, well the 8 years later its the same price top dog or not. Also since GM hasnt even released the new z28 yet the SS is still camaro top dog. The news of GM not putting any more money into performance cars makes one think the z28 might never even happen.

Thread Information