silver
    1998 M6

Has anyone else played w/ M3?

Well I'm still not over the novelty phase of my Formula yet, (hopefully I never will be!) so I'm still in the process of exploring the Ls1's awesome powerband. Comin' home from work tonight I saw a silver Beemer jump onto the on ramp ahead of me. I thought this would be an easy 3 series kill. As I creep up in the left lane, I notice the M3 badge on the back. I don't know much about M3's but it appeared to be all stock, maybe a '97 or 98. I pull up alongside at about 70 mph and the kid drivin' this M3 looked like he was in jr. high. He's lookin' my car over then he points down the highway. I nod yes, and before I could straighten my head he jumped 1/2 car on me. I down shifted and nailed 4th and held him at 1/2 car right up 'til about 110mph. At this point I actually started to pull on him and by 120 mph we were nose to nose. We had to shut it down before we came into a fairly sharp bend. He fell back behind me then pulled up alongside me again to throw me his highbeams and a thumbs up. I was nothing short of amazed at his good sportsmanship considering his age and what he was driving. I know you shouldn't stereotype, but most of my racing encounters with young drivers usually ended with them blasting past me w/ a middle finger, after I shut down. So my question is, should I have been able to take him or does my outcome sound about right for racing an M3?

Awaiting Activation
    if it was that old of an M3 it was probably modded, but they are still pretty fast. Nice kill and thumbs up to that kid for being cool about it.

Iraq money well spent. TRY ME GT's Avatar

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

good kill. I raced an M3, and a DINAN (a BMW tuner) M5 at the track before. I beat them both. The Guy in the M5 was pissed because he spent something like 80k for the 470 hp car. it was a sedan though and was kinda heavy. there is a couple new M3s that race at the place i do. the new ones are similar in speed to a c6 stock.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

down shift to 3rd at 70 and you would have walked him by 100.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

+1

With stock gears, you should have been in third, when you get 4.10's (70-80 mph) you want to be in fourth.

I raced an E46 M3 (01-current) a while back, and he almost hung with me up to about 140, maybe I put a car length or two on him. He was debadged, but from the fenders and everything it was definitely an M3. And being debadged, it was prolly modded out the ass, I know he least had exhaust.

But, I was putting 372 HP to the ground at the time, so his ride was pretty damn fast. Prolly would have outrun me if I didn't have the cam at the time.

silver
    1998 M6

Thanks for the advice / feedback guys. This car is an absolute BLAST!!! Once I get good enough w/ the 6 spd. I may take it to the track this spring and try some legitimate (legal) racing. - Which reminds me...bone stock, what gear would you be in at the end of the 1/4? Thanks again.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Bone stock 6M, you should be shifting to 4th just before the end of the quarter mile. I think 3rd gear redlines at around 107 mph, so you might be able to make it across the line screaming in 3rd.

Thread Information