Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Is the GTO really this slow

This is a discussion on Is the GTO really this slow within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; you ever notice how you and i always end up talking in dying threads... pretty funny stuff man!...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

you ever notice how you and i always end up talking in dying threads...

pretty funny stuff man!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

true story

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    im fairly certain that a bone stock f body that breaks 12s would have a damn good launch, damn good 60 and precise shifting all the way down the track.

so why couldnt a goat be driven the same way?

oh thats right, because some of you are mentally ill.

and i love how the "this one run of the year" track passes, when in the heat of argument, get passed of as the average. show me a bone stock f body that runs a 12.99 everytime.
    It's obvious the moderators don't appreciate your attitude. Attacking both sides of the debate was glorious.

Why is it so doubtful w/ the Goat? Because it's harder to launch, has an IRS and weighs 500lbs more than the Fbody, that's why.

My mental illness still doesn't get in the way of physics and math.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

To tell you the truth when i see ls2 goats run at the track they usually get mid to high 13s maybe people around here just cant drive.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    It's obvious the moderators don't appreciate your attitude. Attacking both sides of the debate was glorious.

Why is it so doubtful w/ the Goat? Because it's harder to launch, has an IRS and weighs 500lbs more than the Fbody, that's why.

My mental illness still doesn't get in the way of physics and math.
    attacking both sides...hmmmm...

im sticking up for the goat because of dumbasses like you who sell them short. you just cant believe that one can run freakish times, but you absolutely KNOW that the status quo is broken daily in a bone stock f body.

IRS? now theres a good argument bud. i suppose its just a mystery and NO ONE in the history of drag racing has figured out how to launch with one.

i can understand the difference between an ls1 goat and an f body. i have ran a few 04 goats that were stock and i got em decently. its not like i put miles on them though. the weight is an issue there, and if i was going to have an ls1, it would be in an f body. (oh wait, i do have one). hence why im on LS1.com....

an ls2 goat makes up for its chubbiness with 50 more horsepower. if you think youll walk all over an 05 goat stock for stock in an f body you are sadly misinformed.

heres an example of this if you still dont get it. in your case, ill put it in hemi terms (maybe youll understand).

take a charger for instance.....5.7 liter, about 350 to the crank. heavy four door. its nice, but its weight is the enemy for sure, which is why something with alittle less power walks all over it (an f body for good measure).

now take your srt 8. same car, but with a 6.1 liter power plant making 425 hp. still around the same weight, but with about 75 more hp. do stock f bodies walk all over you? probably not.

why?

even though you are heavier, youre increased power makes up for your weight disadvantage. are you staying with me here????

now apply this logic to the 04 and the 05 gto. is the light shining upon your face yet?

i have 0 problems with the mods, i got red ink because i broke the rules. nothing personal...its the internet bud.

Pewter
    2000 z28

and just to save time, i'll write out youre response to me so you dont have to think it through...

"shut up you stupid 19 year old"

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I killed a baby once?
    The 19 year old thing that shits funny
    The new challenger with 425 hp now thats a nice car

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I killed a baby once?
    well said.

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

and just to save time, i'll write out youre response to me so you dont have to think it through...

"shut up you stupid 19 year old"

Gee, thank you repeating the self-evident math lesson I already gave you, missing my point completely, the name calling, and going OT with the LS2 GTO. Your age is very apparent.

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Please note above where I said that a run such as a 13.1 is "the exception vice the rule". Certainly the average is quite a bit slower - but that goes for all cars, there is always someone (or two or three) that can get more out of their cars with less.

If one really really really wanted to look into it, the only way to do it is a complete motor teardown (been there), and that's never going to happen. However, after being on the net for a while and doing quite a bit of racing, it gets to be pretty easy to tell who is honest and who is trying to pull a fast one.

Shoot.

LOL. I suppose I can see where that might look like something I didn't intend it to look like. "MY" is "model year".

I'm not trying to say that the SRT-8 is faster, slower, better, or whatever than the GTO. I have no real interest in either one. I do have an opinion....and that is that the LS2 GTO is pretty close to the SRT-8, stock to stock, but no doubt the SRT-8 has an edge (even more so over an 04).

Where did I attack your car? By saying it is a 'pig'? If that's the case, then I also attacked my own previous car by calling it the same thing in the same post.

Yup. I guess if I wanted to be more PC, I'd say that it is "dimensionally challenged"

Ok - I'll take your word for it. It also stands out a lot more. My only gripe with the SRT-8 (other than the tonnage) is that you can't get one with a stick.

Bob

Bob! Cheers!

Pewter
    2000 z28

I agree with everything else but calling BS on a bone stock LS-1 GTO running a 13.1. Either it had 50hp over stock or 500lbs less than stock. I've driven the LS-1 6M GTO and wasn't impressed. I've raced the LS-2 and left impressed. No way will the LS-1 run 13.1 stock. More importantly, what trap speed??
    see, this is the part where you start to act like you know of EVERY goat track pass made by calling b.s. on a 13.1 run in an 04. if an f body can break 12s on a perfect day, i just dont see why a goat couldnt pull a 13.1.

Because the mph is an indicator of hp. And a 13.1@105 means those 3-4 people in the entire world with a "stock" car got a better launch than the notoriously tricky GTO is a capable of stock, with stock tires. BS. That would make 3-4 in the world running 12.6s with LS2 GTOs.
    got a better launch than the blah blah blah...i lost interest when you again try to act as if there is a dead set time for the goat and youve witnessed every run.....
    capable of? hmmm...here we go again with the assumptions, but i guess since youve seen EVERY goat make a track pass, you have the facts right?

Thought so. The best ET ever for an LS1 GTO, the entire probability based on the launch and no recollection of tires or 60ft.
    here you are being a smartass to..well...a seasoned drag racer and then you suddenly get offended when someone (me) is smartassed right back.

Gee, thank you repeating the self-evident math lesson I already gave you, missing my point completely, the name calling, and going OT with the LS2 GTO. Your age is very apparent.
    you didnt give me a lesson....if you did you obviously didnt equate it with more power.

point? what point? you had none. you personally took offense to my very generic first post about ripping on the goat.

my age is apparent? name calling? im sorry if "dumbass" hurts your feelings. you make stupid and wrong remarks about cars you obviously know very little about.

the thing is....no one really knows the exact time a car will run. there are always exceptions to the rules, always the freak cars and the freak drivers. the IRS i agree, is a tricky thing to launch with, but people do it all the time. some prefer it after getting used to it.

this is simple...power makes up for a cars heft
    a cars light weight makes up for its lack in power.

im sick of arguing. i agree that actual experience far outweighs theoretical knowledge. but tell me, how the fuck do you know what ive done?
    so i really cant see how the age has anything to do with it....

i do apologize if youre John Force or someone along those lines....

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    From the factory, and stock to stock, the average LS2 GTO (MY 05/06) is at least as quick, and probably quicker than the average LS1 F-body. Bone stock LS2s have broken into the high 12s (so have a few F-bodys). There are a few bone stock LS1 GTOs (MY 04) that have gone 13.1. I guess it depends on your definition of "slow", but I wouldn't consider them any such thing.

Overweight maybe. Boring to look at maybe. But not slow.

And what is this fascination with hearing a blow-off valve? Seems like every kid with an import that has a turbo (factory or otherwise) makes sure he builds some boost before each shift just so he can hear the noise as he lets off.

Must be a manly thing that I just don't get. Maybe I'll start intentionally grinding 2nd gear so I can people's attention.

I know this particular post is older but very true and the 2nd gear grind...So0o0 Funny

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Deuuunce no offence or anything but secondgearscratch has a point and i see you made a point but as per respect for this board your not delivering your message very professionally espically with your low post count....It seems as if you have some knowledge for the LSX cars but your not a pro, these forums are for collective knowledge not bashing other people for what they've seen or believe... and you can't start big arguments with people on the board unless you have atleast 1249 posts...
    Last edited by NeeD4SpeeD; 05-22-2007 at 03:41 AM.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Bob! Cheers!
    Likewise.

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

see, this is the part where you start to act like you know of EVERY goat track pass made by calling b.s. on a 13.1 run in an 04. if an f body can break 12s on a perfect day, i just dont see why a goat couldnt pull a 13.1.

got a better launch than the blah blah blah...i lost interest when you again try to act as if there is a dead set time for the goat and youve witnessed every run.....
    capable of? hmmm...here we go again with the assumptions, but i guess since youve seen EVERY goat make a track pass, you have the facts right?

here you are being a smartass to..well...a seasoned drag racer and then you suddenly get offended when someone (me) is smartassed right back.

you didnt give me a lesson....if you did you obviously didnt equate it with more power.

point? what point? you had none. you personally took offense to my very generic first post about ripping on the goat.

my age is apparent? name calling? im sorry if "dumbass" hurts your feelings. you make stupid and wrong remarks about cars you obviously know very little about.

the thing is....no one really knows the exact time a car will run. there are always exceptions to the rules, always the freak cars and the freak drivers. the IRS i agree, is a tricky thing to launch with, but people do it all the time. some prefer it after getting used to it.

this is simple...power makes up for a cars heft
    a cars light weight makes up for its lack in power.

im sick of arguing. i agree that actual experience far outweighs theoretical knowledge. but tell me, how the fuck do you know what ive done?
    so i really cant see how the age has anything to do with it....

i do apologize if youre John Force or someone along those lines....
    What is funny, 19yr old scratch, is you got involved when it was essentially over and settled and then decided to throw insults. And you complete missed the "MY 04" part, didn't you?

So stay out of it and go back OT.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    What is funny, 19yr old scratch, is you got involved when it was essentially over and settled and then decided to throw insults. And you complete missed the "MY 04" part, didn't you?

take it easy deucchhh

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

are we still on this rant?? time to move past it.

Pewter
    2000 z28

model year...

guess i caught it 80 year old deuuuce....

im done. unless you want to e-race...

what are we even arguing about....we dont drive imports...so horray for american!

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

oh yeah e-racing. i'll put up my freshly built 408 against your motor. i need to internet break it in.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    oh yeah e-racing. i'll put up my freshly built 408 against your motor. i need to internet break it in.
    im purging my e-juice as we speak mr. mod.

lets do it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information