Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

Got a little taste of the mighty LS1...

Well, I have been searching around to see if the guy posts on any of the forums but no such luck. He had a black with silver hood scoop Camaro SS.

First he wanted to race my friend (who has an Eclipse GSX), but my friend's wife gets car sick and would not let him race, so then I see him next to me. I have an 06 STi and thought, ehh what the hell why not, it will be good for someone to finally put me in my place and just balls out rape me.

We were pacing for a second and I was going to begin the honks, but the Camaro took off, so he immiedately jumped out about half a car. When I shifted to 5th (race started with me in 4th so I had some lag) I dropped back to he quarter panel. I know it is still a lose, but it has been the best race I have ever had in this car yet. i don't feel like I lost, because to me just keeping up with a highway monster is a win.

I was always under the impression that the STi had no top end, but to me this race says different.

Also, does the Caramo SS come super loud or did he have an exhaust, because I swear when he got on it, it scared me a little bit lol!

I hope to see more LS1s around, now that I know I can play with them, I want more!

NBM
    '00 Z28

He probably had exhaust. Welcome.

Black
    99 SS

yup prolly a catback or something

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    yup prolly a catback or something
    Does it affect the car much? I know for me just adding a downpipe opens up some much need HP...

I forgot to list my mods...

Helix JDM Length Catless Downpipe (Heat Wrapped)
    JDM Fujitsubo Catback
    Cobb AccessPort With Stage 2 Map
    GoFastBits 50/50 BOV
    Ported Wastegate
    Ported Turbo Inlet
    GP Moto header (Heat Wrapped)
    Group N Motor Mounts
    Group N Tranny Mount
    Turbo Heat Wrap Kit

In the mail are KSport coilovers and Defi gauges, so I can start and monitor everything, since I should be getting tuned very soon. However keep in mind that I am still on stock turbo (one that sucks majorly) and that limits my top end dramatically.

Even with those mods, I was under the impression that any LS1 would rape me, since the STi is not known for being a highway monster. I really want to find a Z06, so I can see what a fast car really is. I would have gotten one if it weren't for the damn insurance...

Black
    99 SS

adds about 8-10 hp would say

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I've beaten 2 outta 3 STi's so far and I've done alil bit of research to find that an STi is so ridiculous in price to mod. I'm so glad you're not one of those import "my car can hang w/ anything on the road" kinda people...

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    I've beaten 2 outta 3 STi's so far and I've done alil bit of research to find that an STi is so ridiculous in price to mod. I'm so glad you're not one of those import "my car can hang w/ anything on the road" kinda people...
    To get any kind of power you have to upgrade the turbo, injectors, pump and a tune. That alone will cost near $2,000 with other supporting mods even more.

I actually underestimate my car and go into most races thinking I am gunna lose. I guess I just don't expect much from each race, so if I do lose I'm not pissed. I like races that are super close instead of blow aways, so I try to find cars that I think I will have no chance to beat.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

at least you arent an arrogant jerk like many people with those cars
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    at least you arent an arrogant jerk like many people with those cars
    I can be one, but only if someone is one to me first... I generally always give a thumbs up whether or not I win. If I lose, I don't fly by and act all cocky, instead I give respect.

I'm honestly tired of the import/domestic war. I love F-bodies and other american cars, but when it came to me getting a car I needed a 4 door (yes at 18 I actually need 4 doors). The STi was the one that appealled to me the most, but if I had another choice I probably would have gone with a Z06

Import or domestic, someone beats me, I give respect where respect is due. If the guy in the other car is an asshat, I'll be one right back.

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by V8This
    Import or domestic, someone beats me, I give respect where respect is due. If the guy in the other car is an asshat, I'll be one right back.
    Welcome aboard.

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

^Thanks, for the welcome! After this encounter, I find myself only wanting to race LS1s or LS2s now, since I have tinkered a bit, since this race...

I'd race an SRT-4 but he would probably have a boost leak...

Would a standard pre05 Vette pull harder than an LS1 F-Body?

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

^Thanks, for the welcome! After this encounter, I find myself only wanting to race LS1s or LS2s now, since I have tinkered a bit, since this race...

The M6 LS1 Vette usually runs a few tenths faster than the Fbody. 12.8-13.1. 0-60 there is not a lot of difference. After 100 the Vette is usually noticably faster.

They weigh less and have better aerodynamics.

1981 g-Body

yup

Jking said it, but for some reason alot of people have a helluva time finding a 6-speed vette. Seems like most of them are auto, but i guess it could just be where you live.

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by x-40oz-x
    yup

Jking said it, but for some reason alot of people have a helluva time finding a 6-speed vette. Seems like most of them are auto, but i guess it could just be where you live.
    I see one 6spd Vette from time to time... I never never challenged him since I thought he would be way out of my league.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

:

That's no shit.

I bought a new 04' M6 LS1 Vette in the spring of 2004.. It seemed like nobody had them, or oddly enough, a lot of them were convertibles.

The largest Vette dealer in Houston had like 40 Vette's, and only 2 of them were M6 coupes. I bought one of them.

I took it to the track a week later with the dealers tags on it and ran 12.8-12.9's all night at nearly 111..

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

I see one 6spd Vette from time to time... I never never challenged him since I thought he would be way out of my league.
    Nah, you would do well. They are not all that much faster than the Fbody. They are close enough to where a strong running Z will beat a weaker C5 or a good Z driver could take out a medicore Vette driver. But on the average the C5 is a little faster.

Also a lot of Vette guys suck at driving, or are not willing to beat on their cars hard enough to get good times out of them.

The Z06's is a different story though, running low 12's to high 11's bone stock and trapping over 115 on a regular basis..

I watched a new C6 Z06 run an 11.30 at 130.xx the other night, bone stock down to the tires... You could see the torque management killing him off of the line. For comparison's sake, there was a 67' Chevelle running 10.20's at 126, running right after him. The C6 trapped 4 MPH higher.

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by jking
    That's no shit.

The largest Vette dealer in Houston had like 40 Vette's, and only 2 of them were M6 coupes. I bought one of them.
    You'd think it'd be the other way around and most of them would be a stick, but then all the 50 year old's who drive 90% of all vette's would suck at slammin gears.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

You'd think it'd be the other way around and most of them would be a stick, but then all the 50 year old's who drive 90% of all vette's would suck at slammin gears.
    That's what I figure the deal is. 50 year olds and women.

What's really funny is all of the 50 year olds who think that their Vette is 45hp superior to the Fbody.

The Fbody usually dynos higher than the C5 thanks to the rotating mass of the IRS...

1981 g-Body

That's what I figure the deal is. 50 year olds and women.

What's really funny is all of the 50 year olds who think that their Vette is 45hp superior to the Fbody
    Like you said.--->Also a lot of Vette guys suck at driving, or are not willing to beat on their cars hard enough to get good times out of them.

The Fbody usually dynos higher than the C5 thanks to the rotating mass of the IRS...
    Blah, i never was much of a Covette fan anyways.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Blah, i never was much of a Covette fan anyways.

lol..

When I had my 04', I had the 02' Z28 at the same time, and there was so little difference in the performance, when it came time to get rid of one of them because my daughter was about to be born, I got rid of the more expensive one...

A few months ago, when I decided that I had not outgrown racing and shit, I thought about saving money and going with another Fbody.

But my wife wanted a Vette, and then my buddy let me run around in his new C6 for a while, and I got Vette fever again... I always wanted a Z06 anyway..

Thread Information