Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Got Busted Street Racing stories

This is a discussion on Got Busted Street Racing stories within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Not a bust but a kewl escape story: I was coming home from a friends house heading north on the ...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Not a bust but a kewl escape story:

I was coming home from a friends house heading north on the 710 fwy (Long Beach freeway) and decided to get off on Del Amo. Just west of the offramp was Santa Fe, which was a street racing area (totally industrial and not a soul around working early on a Sunday morning). I turned right going north on Santa Fe. Sure enough the are several scattered groups of cars, some choosing off while others watched. I spotted a familiar car and pulled in the parking lot to BS.

About 15 minutes later a lone Sheriff's car cruises down the street. He stops in the middle of the street, turns on the lights and gets on the horn saying, "This is a bust! Nobody move!" Well there's only 1 of him and 20 or so of us so we scatter. I head back to the freeway and notice that about 10 or so cars had followed me. Nothing better to do and nowhere better to go I guess. I go under the freeway as the onramp for me was on the other side. But, instead of jumping on the 710 I decide to stop at the 7-11 on the corner (I was thirsty). So does everybody else. We all get out and 1 guy asks, "What do we do now?" as the cop is pulling into the lot. I shout, "We patronize the store! He can't bust us for entering a store". So, 15-20 folks enter the confines of a cramped 7-11 while the owner beams at the potential income.

Cop pulls into the lot, gets out, sees what is happening, throws up his arms and decides to give up.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Got busted on my first ever street race

I was 17 in a 78 camaro 383 m22 4 speed 342 rear hoosier slicks got busted in the wrong lane at 120mph racing a vette in a school zone thought my young life was over cop got to the window and asked me what i had under the hood to be wooping a vetts ass. Greatest day ever got to keep the car for a little while longer.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Back in 2000 when I had my 99 Mustang GT I was heading west on a 4 lane highway which is one of the main drags in my town. Goes right by the mall. It was around 1AM, and two buddies were in the car. A riced out Honda civic pulled up next to me and started revving the shit out of his engine. My car was Modded a little and I knew that I could take him more than likely so I didnt bother. He takes off like a bat out of hell. I didnt do anything and we hit the next red light. He was staring me down, and my buddies are like "Dude just show him up." So the light turns green and I floor it. I beat the honda, but I saw what I distinctly knew to be crown victoria lights in my rearview seemingly out of no where. My worst fears were confirmed when I saw red and blue lights and heard over the PA "Stop your car immediately." The civic took off, because the Officer was behind me.

Worst part about it, I was 20, and had a bottle of Jim Beam in the car which rolled out from under the seat unbeknownst to me. Of course the officer saw it. I ended up getting three tickets, Speeding 30 over, Bald tires, and careless driving. I also got a notice to appear for possession of alcohol by a minor. Luckily he decided not to charge me with racing on a highway cause I was a poor college student at the time and would not have been able to afford to get my car out of impound. Plus, my friend in the backseat had a warrant he didnt know about and ended up going to jail so he was mad for a while even though he had been encouraging me.

It could have been a lot worse. I learned my lesson though.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I got a good one, I'll tell it when I get home.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

back in '08 i rented a brand new black CTS for the weekend for my prom. it was just the v6 with 258 horse but by no means slow. it was a pretty bad ass car to be rolling around as an 18 year old so all my buddies wanted to cruise around with me the night before prom. we were on a 2 lane road that was a 30mph zone and an older style, murdered out tiburon pulls up next to me at a light on my left and i decided why the hell not. we did a 0-70 pull and it was no contest and he was easily taken care of. the road we were on dead ends at a light so i turned right onto the intersecting 2 lane road. he got in behind me and i was just taking it easy. he does a ricer fly buy on the road we turned on and my buddy goes arent you going to go get him and i said i already took care of him i'll let him get the ticket. not even 15 seconds after me saying that a county browny pulls out and gets in right behind him with his lights on. i guess i was pretty lucky that i was able to stop myself from being egged on.
    Last edited by 2001camaroSS; 08-26-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post
    I was 17 in a 78 camaro 383 m22 4 speed 342 rear hoosier slicks got busted in the wrong lane at 120mph racing a vette in a school zone thought my young life was over cop got to the window and asked me what i had under the hood to be wooping a vetts ass. Greatest day ever got to keep the car for a little while longer.
    I'm sorry, but you are a total dumbass for speeding, let alone doing 120 MPH, racing, in a SCHOOL ZONE!!!! If I were the cop, you'd better believe you'd be in jail. Tell a different story next time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    back in '08 i rented a brand new black CTS for the weekend for my prom. it was just the v6 with 258 horse so not exactly slow. it was a pretty bad ass car to be rolling around as an 18 year old so all my buddies wanted to cruise around with me the night before prom. we were on a 2 lane road that was a 30 zone and an older style, murdered out tiburon pulls up next to me at a light on my left and i decided why the hell not. we did a 0-70 pull and it was no contest and he was easily taken care of. the road we were on dead ends at a light and i was turning right onto another 2 lane road. he got in behind me and i was just taking it easy. he does a ricer fly buy on the road we turned on and my buddy goes arent you going to go get him and i said i already took care of him i'll let him get the ticket. not even 15 seconds after me saying that a county browny pulls out and gets in right behind him with his lights on. i guess i was pretty lucky that i was able to stop myself from being egged on.

Nice. The ricer flyby gets the ticket FTW!

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I'm sorry, but you are a total dumbass for speeding, let alone doing 120 MPH, racing, in a SCHOOL ZONE!!!! If I were the cop, you'd better believe you'd be in jail. Tell a different story next time.

Nice. The ricer flyby gets the ticket FTW!
    it was 4 in the morning during the summer and i was 17!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

it was 4 in the morning during the summer and i was 17!!
    Don't the early bird kids get there at 3am? for shame mister!

just in case you couldn't tell

I once got a ticket for drag racing, but it wasn't the scenario the cop accused me of.

We had a 71 454 vette that my wife drove everyday. This day she left it home so I could do a brake job. After I was done I grabbed my son and went out to lunch. On the way home I got behind this guy that wouldn't go over 30 mph on a 2 lane country road that had a limit of 55. There was a long straight stretch with a legal passing zone, so I dropped out and started to accelerate.
    Wouldn't you know the ass started speeding up, as I gradually gave it more gas, until finally I floored it for passing gear and took off in front so I could move back over. I don't even remember what kind of car it was.

A state trooper was watching the whole thing (so he says) and stopped the guy behind me first. I watched in my mirror as I kept driving away doing the speed limit, (long straight road). Then the cop takes off and comes flying up behind me. So I pull over. As he gets out of the car the other guy about 1/8 mile back pulls a U-turn and takes off like a bat outta hell. The cop standing next to me at this point radios it in as a running suspect, but could only give a description of the car, he didn't have his license number. He had told the guy to stay put while he pulled me over. Ya right, like that's going to happen. So the guy actually gets away.
    He takes my information, doesn't even tell me what he pulled me over for, and says he'll be right back. Next thing I know he is handing me a ticket for drag racing that had a fine of $500 on it.
    I explained to the cop what was going on, and I thought it looked painfully obvious if he actually saw the whole ordeal as he claimed.
    Didn't matter, he was a real prick about it, and I was getting pretty irate by this time telling him a few choice things. He kept his cool and acted like he didn't really care what I had to say.
    First thing I did when I got home was open the yellow pages and called a lawyer. Sat down with the lawyer and he asked me to explain the story and then asked who the arresting officer was. When I told him the name he knew exactly who it was and made some comment about the guy being a real jerk
    He stated we had a solid case, I paid the lawyer $500 and made a court date.
    Well the cop didn't show up for the first court date, so they rescheduled. The cop didn't show up for the second date either. The lawyer told me this is common practice with law enforcement thinking if you want to fight the ticket they will inconvenience you at court thinking you took time of work blah blah blah. Pretty inconsiderate jerks if you ask me. Anyway, the lawyer tells me the court only allows this 2 times, and if he doesn't show up the 3rd time the case is thrown out.
    Of course he shows up the third time. I'm left in the waiting room while my lawyer goes in with the cop and the judge. It took about 2 minutes and the lawyer came out and said case closed you can go home.
    It was completely wiped clean. Turned out the cop didn't have another car to pin me with drag racing (it takes 2) and he didn't even have a license number. Not only that, but he didn't have any radar clocked on either car so he had no idea how fast we went. Basically he didn't have a leg to stand on and couldn't make the ticket stick.

Out of all the times I actually was street racing and almost getting caught, this was one instance I was innocent and got accused of it. You just never know what a cop might interperet when he sees something.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

The lambo would not go!!

This doesnt fit so much here but i just got back from the Wall-greens and their was a newer lambo bright yellow top down just chillin in parking lot pulled up besied him gave him the look asked him if he wanted to run em he chuckeled and said no. So the big question is was he afraid of the sweetness coming off of the ta or was i just a huge wast of his time.Let me know what you think??
    Last edited by REVNORR82; 08-26-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: miss spell

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

This doesnt fit so much here but i just got back from the Wall-greens and their was a newer lambo bright yellow top down just chillin in parking lot pulled up besied him gave him the look asked him if he wanted to run em he chuckeled and said no. So the big question is was he afraid of the sweetness coming off of the ta or was i just a huge wast of his time.Let me know what you think??
    R U serious?

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

he was a no go im sure he would have killed me but it still would have been fun just to see.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Back around 1980/81 I took the 67 Camaro I had at the time (I've had 6) and swapped out the 327/210 PG combo for a hot 327 with 11:1 pop ups, 461 heads and a Duntov 30/30 cam along with a TH350 with a 2800 stall. TH350 is a direct swap for a PG, same length, tranny mount and output shaft spline so you can reuse the yoke and DS. I also swapped the 2.73's for a cone clutch posi and 3.23 gears (got those in the wrecking yard). The speedo gear in the TH350 was different than what I had as a rear gear so the speedometer didn't read correctly. I knew this but didn't care much.

Well, 1 night I'm driving northbound on the Harbor fwy (110) and I pass a CHP that has a guy pulled over. I knew I was speeding (the speed limit at the time was the good old double nickel - thanx left over Nixon top speed) but didn't know how much, looked at the speedo and it says 55 mph. About 10 minutes later that same chipper lights me up. I pull over, he gets out, comes to the driver side door and asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?" I reply, "Yeah, my speedo said 55." He says, "Well, I clocked you at 70 so I'm going to have to write you a ticket." Knowing what was up I waited til he wrote the ticket and went on my way.

The next weekend I take the car to a speedometer calibration place to see what the speedo head reads versus actual tire speed. Sure enough, speedo at 55 is 68mph at the tire. I get a certificate from the guy stating this.

A brief preface about the court I went to: The judge who held court in Downtown LA for Superior Court as well as traffic court was a real jokester. By this I mean that he flaunted rules, gave folks outrageous breaks, etc. He'd even made the news as being the most lenient judge to get for any sort of infraction. OTOH, if you wer patently guilty he would throw the book at you.

So, when I go to court the above mentioned judge is in charge. Baliff says, "All Rise" and the judge comes in with his robe open and says "Everybody just sit down" while motioning with his hands. He takes his place and says, "Ok baliff, whats on the menu today?" It goes on like this for most cases with him even encouraging one person to get a lawyer and fight it cuz that's what he'd do in that guys situation.

Well he gets to my case and states, "Well Mr Blake speeding on the Kings hiway, how do you plead?" I say, "Guilty your Honor, but with extenuating circumstances." He looks over the top of his glasses at me and say, "Hmmmm, watcha got?" I hand the baliff the certificate with the speedo head vs tire speed and he takes it to the judge. Judge ponders for a bit, taps the card on his desk and states, "Maybe. Get out of here!"

Nothing eles ever came up about it.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 08-26-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling

White
    09 Pontiac G8 GT

In the 90's, I was racing everything I had. Bikes,cars,even had a 4-wheeler on slicks and gas.lol Used 2 run my tag on both bikes with a crease in the middle. Me and a bud ride down a strip of by-pass, look around, see nothing, slow 2 our kick, then GO! Beat him by abike. He kept going, leaving me wondering wtf. Look behind me and there was Jonnie LawDog. I pull over, Tag folded in half,bike in neutrel, but still running. As soon as he got out of his cruiser, I left, HARD!! 2nd time I tried that he didn't even put his car in park. Got on mic and said "DROP THA KEY BESIDE THA BIKE!! I left, HARD again. Had 2 paint the bike!
    09 G8 GT, Custom Grind Texas speed (Comp Manu) cam 112deg., Ported Throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt & cats,magnaflow, Circle D stage 2 trans & stall,D.O.D. removed .660 Double valve springs some LS7 parts sprinkled in 4 good measure, etc.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quite a few years back when I first had the Camaro. A buddy and I went out to highway 36 north of Omaha with a few people to race.

Well we get there and there is a place on the side of the road where they used to mix up the asphalt and there were 30-40 cars at least. We park on the opposite side of the road on an entrance to a field.

It's a nice, long, flat stretch of road with a hill on either side, so it's pretty secluded.

We were about the cross the highway to chat with all the other racers, and I'm like...hey man I'm turning my car around...just incase. he's like good idea, so we do that.

We then cross the highway to talk with friends and set up races....I'm like, wait a sec....dude do you hear that? I was hearing a faint woosh, woosh, woosh and he's like yea, we turn towards the east hill and then the spot light hits us in the face.

Oh shit...it's a chopper, then down the hill comes like 7-10 cruisers with all their lights on. Red and blue lights, lit up the sky.

Well, the dumbasses left the other side of the highway open, so we jumped in our cars and we were out of there.

We drive like 2-3 miles and i got a spotlight shining through my t-tops . Then the only person that made it out before me decides to stop at a red light...I'm like, dude just drive, so he did and we made it out ok.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Back around 1980/81 I took the 67 Camaro I had at the time (I've had 6) and swapped out the 327/210 PG combo for a hot 327 with 11:1 pop ups, 461 heads and a Duntov 30/30 cam along with a TH350 with a 2800 stall. TH350 is a direct swap for a PG, same length, tranny mount and output shaft spline so you can reuse the yoke and DS. I also swapped the 2.73's for a cone clutch posi and 3.23 gears (got those in the wrecking yard). The speedo gear in the TH350 was different than what I had as a rear gear so the speedometer didn't read correctly. I knew this but didn't care much.

Well, 1 night I'm driving northbound on the Harbor fwy (110) and I pass a CHP that has a guy pulled over. I knew I was speeding (the speed limit at the time was the good old double nickel - thanx left over Nixon top speed) but didn't know how much, looked at the speedo and it says 55 mph. About 10 minutes later that same chipper lights me up. I pull over, he gets out, comes to the driver side door and asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?" I reply, "Yeah, my speedo said 55." He says, "Well, I clocked you at 70 so I'm going to have to write you a ticket." Knowing what was up I waited til he wrote the ticket and went on my way.

The next weekend I take the car to a speedometer calibration place to see what the speedo head reads versus actual tire speed. Sure enough, speedo at 55 is 68mph at the tire. I get a certificate from the guy stating this.

A brief preface about the court I went to: The judge who held court in Downtown LA for Superior Court as well as traffic court was a real jokester. By this I mean that he flaunted rules, gave folks outrageous breaks, etc. He'd even made the news as being the most lenient judge to get for any sort of infraction. OTOH, if you wer patently guilty he would throw the book at you.

So, when I go to court the above mentioned judge is in charge. Baliff says, "All Rise" and the judge comes in with his robe open and says "Everybody just sit down" while motioning with his hands. He takes his place and says, "Ok baliff, whats on the menu today?" It goes on like this for most cases with him even encouraging one person to get a lawyer and fight it cuz that's what he'd do in that guys situation.

Well he gets to my case and states, "Well Mr Blake speeding on the Kings hiway, how do you plead?" I say, "Guilty your Honor, but with extenuating circumstances." He looks over the top of his glasses at me and say, "Hmmmm, watcha got?" I hand the baliff the certificate with the speedo head vs tire speed and he takes it to the judge. Judge ponders for a bit, taps the card on his desk and states, "Maybe. Get out of here!"

Nothing eles ever came up about it.

This won't work, at least in IN, anymore. I've been to court fighting tickets and I've heard the judge say to people it doesn't matter if your speedo is wrong, you are responsible for the condition of your car.

Good story, tho!

I've escaped a few times from the cops, but never from street racing.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

@ 19 years old my first F-body was a 92 25th anni Camaro red black stripes.. Was running on sr.28 when I can up on a silver caprice making a U-turn.. Thought nothing of it and kept on motoring.. Then I hear comming up a 305 sbc giving all it had to catch up to me.. I figured he was looking @ the car and not wanting to race I payed not attention. That is untill he got right beside me.. He looked over @ me and I @ him and it was on... I pull her out of over drive and start to put a hurting on the caprice. As soon as I put a 2 car spread between us. Then all of a sudden LIGHTS!? Ugh! Turned out that the completely stock apearing car was an undercover state trooper..

Now we get to the good part.. As he's giving me a ticket, he say's he clocked me @ over 75 and climbing (limit was 55 then) but was gonna let me go cause I held steady in my lane. That is untill I tried to race him. Just as he was stepping away from my car a women in the south bound lane swerved to aviod clipping the officer. Lost controll and rolled her car like a loaf of bread in the grassy center.. The officer then took all my info and litterally threw it back into my car asying' "move along" and bolted for his cruiser.. Crazy days..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Not quite in topic but along the same lines.. I got stopped @ a point check in the z34 a few years ago.. Lady state trooper comes up.. Clearly some kind of chip on her shoulder, proptly say's, "put the damn' cigarette out while I'm talking to you!".. I respectfully attemp tp comply.. Unfortunately when I threw my cig out the window the wind blew it back and bounced it right off of her nose.. First thing that came to mind was, "great I get to go to jail today for accidently assualting an officer!".. I mean there was a huge puff of sparks as the cherry just exploded on the tip of her nose.. Which nearly immediately began to blister.. So I'm nearly in tears with fear, and trying not to laugh @ the same time.. She says' "get the hell out here and pick that up before I site you for littering".. I did as she told me and was let out of the check point.. I think I needed a beach towel to wipe up all the sweat from fear, or piss from laughter going down the road after that.. Good times..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-27-2010 at 09:56 AM.

I don't know, considering what some of these cars cost anymore, I'm not so aintsy to jump into racing on the street anymore either. The 70's and 80's were a little different, but nowadays not so much.
    I don't worry about the 4th gens so much, because they are somewhat cheap. If I loose one I can replace it, and I never seem to get bothered much when driving one. Maybe a little dull looking I guess.

But every time I get out one of the classic cars,,,I get pestered. Usually it's from something that really isn't worth my time. Sometimes people just want to see you take off a bit, couple of gears or something, and that's fine. But a full blown race I'd rather go to the track anymore. Considering the classic cars I have are nearly irreplaceable, I tend to avoid too much street action, most of the time I'm playing with the car is when I'm completely alone. Traffic scares the hell outta me anymore. 99% of my driving time is spent on back roads away from people nowadays.

So for me it just depends on the car I'm in. A Lambo?? I probably wouldn't have bothered either, they cost too much to replace.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

All of my stories are from the late 70's to the early 90's. And here is the Beef Supreme (where did that come from????) of 'em all. Grab a beer as this is sorta long...

Part 1:

A preface: I used to hang out with a dude named Scrounger who lived in Wilmington. We'd split the cost of PPV for UFC shows and watch at his house. Mind you this was back in the Royce Gracie and Butterbean days...

I'd left Scroungers house headed north bound on Alameda (now known as the "Alameda corridor" - subterranean RR tracks now have an unimpeded direct shot from the harbor to the downtown freight yards - which means no more Alameda and Del Amo intersection as it was "back in the day") when I came to Del Amo. Sure enough, there was a boat load of folks out watching folks run down the road. FYI: Alameda was both directions on either side of what was RR tracks at street level at the time, circa 90's on back. Traffic was mostly on the west side of the tracks and we raced/watched on the east side of the tracks. Both sides were 4 lane (2 lanes each way) with a parking lane. They ran south to north.

Well, I crossed over from the west side to the east side of the tracks and parked the car at the "start" end of the road. Another FYI: Somebody had marked into the concrete a "Start" line as well as a measured 1/4 mile "Finish" line. yeah. it was like that (LOL). I got out of the car to watch a couple of races before I headed home. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! Youll see why in a bit.

I get out and noted the time. It was 1:15am. I watch a couple of races and notice that a guy has a video camera and is taping the races. I think, "Cool. They'll go home and run it back to see how the car(s) ran" as a couple of them were really quick off the line.

After about 20 minutes or so Carson Sheriff shows up in force (vans, roll backs, cop cars, helicopters, basically "the whole nine yards" - bonus points if you know the etemology of that phrase) and blocks off both ends of the street. You see, Alameda on that side had no cross streets for maybe 1.5-2 miles (except for where Santa Fe branched off) which made it ideal for racing and also ideal for the man to block off.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information