Funny race with my Jeep for you non believers

This happened last summer. I have an 82 Jeep Scrambler with an LT1/4l60E combo and 4.10 gears. Just to paint this picture,,,it has 32 inch BFG all terrains and sits up rather high with a body and suspension lift,,,and this thing gets rather scary at high speed if you can imagine. The engine is stock internally with a .030 overbore. Has shorty headers and a custom tune,,,thats about it.
    I come up on a late 80's 5.0 mustang and was kinda following close,,,wanting to play. A light up ahead changed and traffic was non existent. I pull along side thinking this would be a kid and I was shocked to see a 55+ year old man sitting behind the wheel smoking a cigarette. Then I notice this thing has a very choppy cam while we were sitting there,,,I started thinking I bit off more than I could chew,,,but I was going to have some fun.
    He has this smut look on his face and I smile,,,that light changes and I slowly roll out waiting for him to go,,,,as he rolls out in first,,,about 10 feet and he nails it,,,I jump on the throttle and it's on. I couldn't believe my eyes as the old jeep hangs door to door through first and second gear,,,then I slowly inch away about a fender,,,about this time he hits the rev limiter in 3rd gear and fell back fast,,,good thing too because I just got into 3rd gear myself and was getting to the point where this jeep starts to make my butt pucker. Not sure how long I could have kept going before common sense told me to quit.
    Anyway,,,later on I ran into a buddy,,,I described this mustang to a T which was a rather nice looking car,,,and he told me that was Phil's brother,,,,Phil is a friend of mine. Couple days later I ran into Phil and asked him,,,and the first thing out of his mouth was,,,,,Is that your Jeep? My brother is pissed. He told me all about how this jeep just blew his doors off. Found out this mustang is packing a little 347 stroker with a solid roller, 5 speed and 4.10's and has run some high 11's with slicks on the motor. He is also packing a 150 shot on the car as well. He is so mad he wants a rematch with his son driving the car,,,LOL. Although a rematch has never happened I told him I am sure his mustang is faster than my jeep,,,,but not on that day. Word got around at a local cruise inn,,,which started a rival with some upset people, I couldn't believe it. Some people just can't do this for fun anymore I suppose. It sure was funny though. Larry.

red
    02 trans am ws6

Thats funny. I had a 4x4 83 S-10 blazer with a lift and 4.10's as well as a stall, 355 motor and a 150 shot of NOS with 33's. I use to love pulling up to lights and punks seeing nothing but headers through the fenders. Fast and as you say," butt puckering" Now I have a slow ass 94 Ram with v-10 axles a bored 318 5 speed 10 inches of lift and 38.5's looks good but slower then my huyndia accent! Keep wheelin!

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

sounds like he didnt spray on you good kill

No he didn't spray. But a mustang that runs high 11's on the motor should have killed me anyway. My Jeep is only a 13 second runner.
    It's just very strong out of the hole, with a 3.06 first gear in the 4L60E and a set of 4.10's it's a blast. He said I surprised him when I stayed there,,,and he missed his shift point in 3rd gear which bounced the motor on the rev limiter,,,from there I guess that messed up his rhythm,,,he fell back and then gave up. I suspect he would have run around me had we kept going. Besides that,,,,the jeep wonders around at top speed and scares the hell out of me, I would have quit shortly after anyway with the satisfaction I at least hung in there,,,LOL. Larry.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

you need to mud drag that thing lol

Mud makes me shiver just thinking how low it would take me to clean this thing. It takes hours of cleaning if I just get it wet. I did a frame off with candy paint, ghost flames, even the floor pans underneath are candy brandywine. It's probably capable off road, but not interested in finding out,,,,lol. A picture would explain things a little better. Larry.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-10-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Heres a shot of the LT1 nestled down in there.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-10-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Black
    2000 Z-28

haha...nice kill. What do you think your jeep weighs?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

30 lbs great looking jeep.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Had it on a scale, it weighs exactly 3,500 lbs. with 1/2 tank of gas. Plus my 200 lbs. butt. So it's about average. Makes a great sleeper. Larry.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

nice jeep man

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Had it on a scale, it weighs exactly 3,500 lbs. with 1/2 tank of gas. Plus my 200 lbs. butt. So it's about average. Makes a great sleeper. Larry.
    dam that seems like a lot

Ya, it's quite a bit longer than your typical CJ,,,it's a scrambler which started life as a pickup truck. I added a back seat and a full soft top and kind of made a station wagon out of it to haul the family,,,,plus the V-8, 4L60E trans, all the 4X4 junk,,,so it kinda makes it a little heavy. Larry.

Thread Information