First race in the new vette and the first kill!

This is a discussion on First race in the new vette and the first kill! within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I really thought I would lose this one, but I pulled it out... Coming back from Kemah last night, I ...

Lemans Blue
    06 Corvette

First race in the new vette and the first kill!

I really thought I would lose this one, but I pulled it out...

Coming back from Kemah last night, I see a Yellow c5 vette ahead of me. I guess he sees me coming too, because he gets into the middle lane of the highway and slows down to let me catch up. I take the left andas I'm letting off to come down to his speed accelerates to come up to my speed. By now, I notice it is a z06 from the badge and the vent in front of the rear tire. I use the paddle shifters to drop to second. Bump it a couple times. He doesn't bite. I'm thinking, that's weird. He acted like he wanted to go, now he's not doing anything. So, I try one more time and just lay into and pull ahead of him at WOT until I'm ahead by about 50 feet and then pull over into the middle lane in front of him.

He's still maintaining his normal speed. We go like this for about a half mile and then I guess he decides hew wants a run, because he changes over into the left lane and pulls up next to me pretty quick and matches my speed as he gets dead even with me.

I hear him down shift, so I drop it into second again. I'm thinking this manual z06 is going to kill me because of his gearing and my extra drivetrain loss from the auto.

I let make the first move I hear him floor it and when is rear tires are about to my door, I hit it. I instantly started to pull on him. When I bang off my rev limiter in second gear and I've got about a car length on him. My left foot is looking for the clutch and my right hand is instinctively grabbing for the stick. Then I think to myself... "Dummy, you don't drive a cobra with a stick anymore! Hit the paddle!" with the 3 or 4 bounces of the limiter, he starts catching up. Then I hit the paddle and put it into 3rd and then really start pulling on him again.

I have no idea what spead I was going at the start or the end of the run, but I ran it until I had a little over two full car lengths on him and I was still in 3rd gear. I was absolutely giddy. I've raced plenty of z06's in the past, but that was in the mildly modified 01 cobra. I aways lost those against z06's. I now have _no_ reservations about the A6 transmission in the C6!

Hopefully I'll know my car better next time and will be able to give a better desciption of the starting and ending speeds of the race. Still need to get a few more of these in against the c5 Z06's before I am convinced I can regularly take them. Anyone else with a c6 A6 raced a c5 z06?

white
    1989 turbo trans am anniv

Most encounters with C5 zO6 vs C6 have shown that the C5 zO6 would be the likely winner. Most agree that is due to a slightly better hp/weight ratio and shorter gearing. For you to have easily pull the C5z even after making a mistake with your automatic would lead me to believe that either: the zo6 was a fake or that person really couldn't drive; and or possibly a combination of the two. At any rate, good kill.

----
    2004 Evolution
    1997 Viper GTS B/W
    1989 Anniv. Turbo Trans Am hardtop

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

[QUOTE=ttadriver]Most encounters with C5 zO6 vs C6 have shown that the C5 zO6 would be the likely winner. Most agree that is due to a slightly better hp/weight ratio and shorter gearing. For you to have easily pull the C5z even after making a mistake with your automatic would lead me to believe that either: the zo6 was a fake or that person really couldn't drive; and or possibly a combination of the two. At any rate, good kill.

+1

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by onehotcavalier
    Still need to get a few more of these in against the c5 Z06's before I am convinced I can regularly take them. Anyone else with a c6 A6 raced a c5 z06?
    I test drove a new C6 Corvette last week, as I was contemplating the purchase. Sounds like a driver's race here, good kill!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Could very well be a drivers race.........but if you forget to shift and bounce off of the rev limiter 3-4 times and the Z06 still doesn't pass, something seems wrong.

Good kill anyhows

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    ...if you forget to shift and bounce off of the rev limiter 3-4 times and the Z06 still doesn't pass, something seems wrong.
    I agree...

The ZO6's driver must have been in total shock to initially get pulled like that, and his reaction might have been out of frustration, causing a mis-shift. That's the beauty of street racing though (not that I condone it, of course), in that anything can happen. )

Quote Originally Posted by ttadriver
    Most encounters with C5 zO6 vs C6 have shown that the C5 zO6 would be the likely winner. Most agree that is due to a slightly better hp/weight ratio and shorter gearing. For you to have easily pull the C5z even after making a mistake with your automatic would lead me to believe that either: the zo6 was a fake or that person really couldn't drive; and or possibly a combination of the two. At any rate, good kill.

Thats what I was going to say!

My friend's dad has a C6 Auto and we took it out for a spin and came across a Z06. We went from a roll and it was pretty even with him yanking a tiny tiny bit... however, when we talked to the guy... we found out it was a 2001 Z06.

Lemans Blue
    06 Corvette

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll need to find a few more z06's to run with to know for sure. I need to get out to baytown and get some time slips. tonight would have been perfect... relatively cool air for this time of year in houston today.

I just got to remember to quit looking for a clutch pedal!!! I still lift my left foot every time I come out of a turn wanting to upshift :rofl: Old habits die hard and it has only been a week in the A6

Am I the only one that has a harder time driving an automatic than a standard?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

the z driver could have droped to 4 or just 5, hence his lack of ability to pull.

Lemans Blue
    06 Corvette

I think if he had been in 4th or 5th it would have been a lot worse for him. I was down in second gear. I could see him being over-confident (or a poor driver) and being in 3rd when we started. That would make sense as to why he started to gain on me and didn't flat out run past me for the second or two that I was bouncing of the limitter. If that is not the case, then I don't think it was a real z06.

I guess the Z06 has the same problem I had with the Cobra... People putting the badges on anything they can. GT's, V6's, etc I even saw a pair of cobra badges on a Nissan Pulsar (ugh) when driving out by WillowBrook Mall on FM1960

Lemans Blue
    06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983
    Thats what I was going to say!

My friend's dad has a C6 Auto and we took it out for a spin and came across a Z06. We went from a roll and it was pretty even with him yanking a tiny tiny bit... however, when we talked to the guy... we found out it was a 2001 Z06.

What gear were you guys in and what speed when the race started?

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll need to find a few more z06's to run with to know for sure. I need to get out to baytown and get some time slips. tonight would have been perfect... relatively cool air for this time of year in houston today.

I just got to remember to quit looking for a clutch pedal!!! I still lift my left foot every time I come out of a turn wanting to upshift :rofl: Old habits die hard and it has only been a week in the A6

Good attitude, good idea checking other's experiences, good driver kill!

White
    '10 ZR1

I'm the opposite!! Haha....I took my WS6 to the track for the first time last weekend....I was able to run a 7.95 at 97 (2.0 - 60')in the 1/8th. I know the car has more in it if I can learn to drive!

Thread Information