Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

First Kill in the WS6

I've had my car since last October but somehow today was the first time i've actually raced anyone. I'm heading home from work. Take the exit and start to turn left to go over the freeway to my house. As i'm turning my brother and I notice a maroon cobra heading in what would be the opposite direction. I see he is eyeing the sh*t out of my car and wearing pretty boy white sunglasses... That's all it took to convince me, I got the other side of the overpass and flipped a U as quick as possible. He had gotten a green light and I had to wait for a few cars so I was wondering if I would even catch up with him. I pulled up behind him at the next light but there was a work truck in the lane next to him. He notices me in his rear-view and starts to rev his mini horse. (Had loud, loud custom exhaust) Now i'm wondering what he all has done to it and if I really will beat him. Light turns green and he starts out slow but pushes the rpms higher than normal so I know he's game. He takes off when i'm about rear bumper to front bumper on the work truck in the next lane. I hit it in first and jump to the next lane. I close quick but there's a mild bend in the road so we let up. We follow the road a while and I let him pull in front of me so I can follow wherever he goes. He takes a right and heads back up to the exit back onto the freeway I came from originally. A few cars had just turned onto the freeway so we pull out and kind've roll at about twenty five to thirty to let some room clear. I realize that if we take off at that point that i'm gonna be shifting real quick so I put it in 2nd. We do a little noseing back and forth and then he hits it. I hit it and pull ahead but about 3/4 to a full length at the top of 2nd. I go to 3rd and forget it, game over. I put three or four lengths in him as I shift into fourth. I shut it down as i'm closing in on the cars in front of me. I've raced a lot in my 3rd gen camaro with a 383 and on my ninja but it had been a loooooong time and was the first race in my TA. Got a great rush due to the long lapse between any racing. As far as I know he had custom exhaust of some sort. I have a HP tune and K&N filter. Everything else stock. Also have a bad O2 sensor. Both of us had a passenger but my brother and I definitely weighed more than he and his passenger. I was a bit suprised at how easily I put space between us.

To add to the great day I got my Magnaflow catback only 2 days after I orderd it. Pretty good Saturday!

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

What year was the cobra? I dont think you coulda pulled that easy on an 03 04 cobra.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    What year was the cobra? I dont think you coulda pulled that easy on an 03 04 cobra.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Don't know, didn't talk to the guy. Maybe his wasn't running right. But I definitely pulled him and would say it was three or four car lengths by fourth. I was shocked. I'm guessing it was an 01. If I remember right, they have about 320 (at the motor) horse stock. My 01 WS6 with a tune would be every bit of 350 or more (@ the motor). Right? So not too unbelievable. Maybe he was a shitty driver?
    Last edited by SactownHuskers; 05-08-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    Half cocked, Full Throttle!
    2001 Black Trans Am WS6 M6
    1986 383 Stroker Red Chevrolet Camaro
    2006 Blue Kawasaki ZX6R 636

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

you got him in that year. to give you props, if you had messed up at all, different outcome. terminator is what everyone calls the 03 04 cobras. i usually use four letter words, and then question his parentage. It's all I got.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

01 GT's made 260 to the wheel iirc.. Nice kill but LS1's do not have much issues with the Cobra's unless its a 03/04 Cobra. You should have walked him like you did..

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Don't know much about cobras but was curious after your comments so did a bit of google research. Looks like the 2000 cobra r was rated at 385bhp but was underrated at that. So i think it's safe to say It wasn't a 2000 r. 99's and 01's were rated at 320bhp. Then 03, 04 says 390 bhp. Does this sound right?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    01 GT's made 260 to the wheel iirc.. Nice kill but LS1's do not have much issues with the Cobra's unless its a 03/04 Cobra. You should have walked him like you did..
    That's what I thought. The terminators would pull our ls1s all day long obviously. It had to have been on 01 because I pulled him pretty good. Regardless, it got my blood going and made my day. Thanks for the comments guys

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    Don't know much about cobras but was curious after your comments so did a bit of google research. Looks like the 2000 cobra r was rated at 385bhp but was underrated at that. So i think it's safe to say It wasn't a 2000 r. 99's and 01's were rated at 320bhp. Then 03, 04 says 390 bhp. Does this sound right?
    Not trying to put a buzz kill on your kill. Sorry that 260 rwhp was the 01 gt. 320bhp still puts it under 300rwhp. Just saying the 5.0's use to murder the 3rd gens. When the LS1 came out in 98 the fbody was back on top. I have been running my 00 since 02. Have had few GT's,Cobra's or mustang's get past period. Now when the 03/04 Cobra's came out it was all them again.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

That's what I thought. The terminators would pull our ls1s all day long obviously. It had to have been on 01 because I pulled him pretty good. Regardless, it got my blood going and made my day. Thanks for the comments guys
    Dont get me wrong a kill is still fun as hell.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Dont get me wrong a kill is still fun as hell.
    Absolutely....

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Absolutely....
    Just watch out for the 03's/04's.... You wont have such a good day then..

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Just watch out for the 03's/04's.... You wont have such a good day then..

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Or mod the shit out of your car and then Termi owners won't be having good days, thats what I do
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

320bhp still puts it under 300rwhp. Just saying the 5.0's use to murder the 3rd gens.

BHP = Brake Horse Power correct?

As in how much horsepower at the brakes? Simple question, as it's what I've always assumed. But we know how that "assuming" stuff goes

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    BHP = Brake Horse Power correct?

As in how much horsepower at the brakes? Simple question, as it's what I've always assumed. But we know how that "assuming" stuff goes
    Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, alternator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. Brake refers to a device which was used to load an engine and hold it at a desired RPM. During testing, the output torque and rotational speed were measured to determine the brake horsepower.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 05-09-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, alternator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. Brake refers to a device which was used to load an engine and hold it at a desired RPM. During testing, the output torque and rotational speed were measured to determine the brake horsepower.
    Wow, I thought it was base horsepower, my assuming was true to the adage. Happy to learn something new every day though! I'm a much smarter person than before I joined the site!

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Just with nitrous you should have no issues at all beating pullied cobra's. Pullied cobra's ive seen pull from 430-490rwhp and with ported blower up to 515rwhp give or take. Ive seen other cars with less power keep up since the cobra's arent lightweight cars. They are very very fast once you mod them but then again you can mod just about any car to get it to go fast in the end its preference and what you like.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Not trying to put a buzz kill on your kill. Sorry that 260 rwhp was the 01 gt. 320bhp still puts it under 300rwhp. Just saying the 5.0's use to murder the 3rd gens. When the LS1 came out in 98 the fbody was back on top. I have been running my 00 since 02. Have had few GT's,Cobra's or mustang's get past period. Now when the 03/04 Cobra's came out it was all them again.
    the 99-04 gts were 260 at the engine, 220 at the wheels. not sure if thats what you meant to say..

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

To add.....

99 & 01 Cobras made ~275 RWHP stock. The were additionally handicapped with 3.27 gearing that was a very poor match to their high revving (relatively) engines. In stock form, it was a high 13 to low 14 second car. A really good driver on a really good track might see a mid 13.

03/04 Cobras made ~365 RWHP stock. They do vary somewhat. They are a couple hundred lbs heavier than the earlier models, but still have pretty stout acceleration and are very easy to mod. Stock, they were high a high 12 to low 13 second car. A really good driver on a really good track could get a 12.6 or so out of them.

2000 Cobra Rs are extremely rare (watch out for fakes). They are mostly race or show cars, and it is very rare to see one on the street. They were heavy (that iron 5.4 block added lots of weight), even though they were essentially 'stripped' from the factory. There really weren't enough stock examples that were drag raced to get a good feel or what they run, but in general, figure high 12's to perhaps low 13s. I've seen what are supposed to be "stock" dynos vary from 340 RWHP to 375 RWHP. Again, not enough test samples to really pin it down.

Thread Information