Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

fi camaro vs fi cobra

This is a discussion on fi camaro vs fi cobra within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by doodad but V8 DOHC 4v cobra motor LOVES FI and will perform better than an LS1 with ...

Red?
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by doodad View Post

but V8 DOHC 4v cobra motor LOVES FI and will perform better than an LS1 with FI.
    I have no desire to engage in a "pissing contest", as such emotionally- motivated rhetoric yields no productive results. I am, however, somewhat perplexed by your above quote. I actually prepared a much more in-depth technical presentation to prove my point, but this site logged me out before I was able to post it, and I haven't the time to do all that typing once again, therefore I will simplify it. If by that post, you are stating that a stock longblock LS1 with forced induction will not possess the performance potential of the Termi motor, I wholeheartedly agree. Nearly ANY entry level LS1 supercharger kit will produce power levels beyond those of a stock '03-'04 Cobra. The problems arise when power levels much beyond that are desired. The '03-'04 Cobra motors were designed for boost, receiving lower compression, not to mention one of the stoutest(if not the stoutest) short block ever produced for a domestic production engine. The LS1 engine was designed for a naturally aspirated application. Attempting to compare the Termi engine to an LS1 with FI is the automotive equivalent of comparing apples to oranges.
    The '03-'04 Cobras are blessed with an engine that is not only solid enough to live at it's factory power levels, but is capable of surviving at twice it's production power level and beyond. It can also be modified to those power levels far cheaper than an LS1 engine. The Termi motors truly are an excellent piece of automotive engineering. Be that as it may, IF you are stating that the Termi motors are ultimately superior to the LS engines in their power-building ability, I definitely disagree. In a maximum-effort application, in which the LS engine is built from the ground up for boost, as was the '03-'04 Cobra motor(ie. LSX block, perhaps a billet crank, titanium rods, killer heads, boost-friendly cam, a good induction system and all other supporting hardware,) I believe the LS engine will unquestionably have a higher power ceiling. The LS engines have a huge displacement advantage, and 4-valves per cylinder simply aren't necessary to provide the airflow required to produce huge power numbers in a larger bore engine.
    Last edited by mrr23; 09-03-2007 at 09:35 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

True the cobra motor the way it is can take an amazing amount of power, however if we were all rich lol the ls1 can be turned into a forced induction beast, lower comp ratio forged internals and i have witnessed this block handle damn near 1000hp with a FI setup. At that point however i would get a custom alum block or a iron block, people say when you get that much hp you need iron block, my girlfriends uncle is making 1400rwhp with a custom alum block with alum heads.

Black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Stalker View Post

I have no desire to engage in a "pissing contest", as such emotionally- motivated rhetoric yields no productive results. I am, however, somewhat perplexed by your above quote. I actually prepared a much more in-depth technical presentation to prove my point, but this site logged me out before I was able to post it, and I haven't the time to do all that typing once again, therefore I will simplify it. If by that post, you are stating that a stock longblock LS1 with forced induction will not possess the performance potential of the Termi motor, I wholeheartedly agree. Nearly ANY entry level LS1 supercharger kit will produce power levels beyond those of a stock '03-'04 Cobra. The problems arise when power levels much beyond that are desired. The '03-'04 Cobra motors were designed for boost, receiving lower compression, not to mention one of the stoutest(if not the stoutest) short block ever produced for a domestic production engine. The LS1 engine was designed for a naturally aspirated application. Attempting to compare the Termi engine to an LS1 with FI is the automotive equivalent of comparing apples to oranges.
    The '03-'04 Cobras are blessed with an engine that is not only solid enough to live at it's factory power levels, but is capable of surviving at twice it's production power level and beyond. It can also be modified to those power levels far cheaper than an LS1 engine. The Termi motors truly are an excellent piece of automotive engineering. Be that as it may, IF you are stating that the Termi motors are ultimately superior to the LS engines in their power-building ability, I definitely disagree. In a maximum-effort application, in which the LS engine is built from the ground up for boost, as was the '03-'04 Cobra motor(ie. LSX block, perhaps a billet crank, titanium rods, killer heads, boost-friendly cam, a good induction system and all other supporting hardware,) I believe the LS engine will unquestionably have a higher power ceiling. The LS engines have a huge displacement advantage, and 4-valves per cylinder simply aren't necessary to provide the airflow required to produce huge power numbers in a larger bore engine.

That's something I've been arguing here for years but got nowhere with. If you ground-up build an LSx engine, fully forged with the iron block it will completely outperform the mod motor. The problem is the mod engine has a bore that is too narrow and there's no meat to bore it out, so it relies essentially on FI and stroke to make extra power. It does well, but it's no match for the cubes and compact lightweight of the LSx platform. Also, it rarely comes up in these converstations that the FI mod motor itself is as large and heavy as a 502 Chev engine, but doesn't even approach that platform's power. However, as an off-the-shelf engine it is still a great performance buy, requiring only a couple of thousand dollars of work to produce great power.
    Last edited by mrr23; 09-03-2007 at 09:37 AM.

C6 H/C/N20

The FI argument will go on for some time. FI has its place when the design of the engine in question is smaller. Example C6 SS. Nothing wrong with FI instead of a whole engine redesign.

There are plenty of FI LSX's that will beat Cobras and plenty of Cobras that will beat FI LSX's. I will ONLY go by my experience, thats what matters to me.
    In a perfect world a 346 will make more power than a 281, though there are examples that do prove otherwise also. I only worry about the car next to me and there have been a few FI LSX's including my own 580-600rwhp (w/150shot) SS and my Cobra walked it a few times with just simple bolt on parts.
    Not to mention an STS car .......w e a k.
    My buddy's 2000 Procharged Z w/100 shot..as soon as he is ready! I have to wait for him..

Since when do you have to be rich to drive a $25K car?

Id drive any 9 sec SS or Cobra but for a mint low milage car (2002 F-bod or 2003 Cobra), you will not have a 600+rwhp, 9 sec capable beast with the F-body for that money unless you juice the hell out of it..and slap on H/C/Full bolt on/tune/suspension like my old car. Sorry. My last kill in my SS was a TT 911 though, right before I sold it.

Yea we all know you can buy a ragged out 98 and then ONLY replace the engine, trans and rear. In that case, much cheaper going LSX.
    Then you will still get smoked by an import so who cares.
    Exhibit A.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    There are plenty of FI LSX's that will beat Cobras and plenty of Cobras that will beat FI LSX's.
    and on that note....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information