Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Evo running 10.9

This is a discussion on Evo running 10.9 within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by EE1983 Oh Im chillin here, just got back from the beach actually. I dont have any slips ...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Oh Im chillin here, just got back from the beach actually.

I dont have any slips with the new setup, it been too hot here to even bother going to the track. Hopefully it will cool down next week so I can make a trip.
    cool man. i wanna see it run!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Dude 470whp aint no thang at this point. There are TONS of guys making well over 500whp on the stock block on EVOs. Many have been doing it for a while and seems to be quite reliable.

You can stroke them to a 2.3L and that is mainly for additional torque and quicker spool with big turbos. If anything the 2.0Ls have been proven to be more reliable. Most people who are going over 550whp opt to build the motor.
    WOW..nasty...yeah what are u runnin now EE? just put strano springs and konis in my baby..rides soooo sweet now ..oh ya and those new falken auto cross tire/rd tires.....very impressed with those so far actually..cheap to....158 a pop 275/40/17

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Are you talking about a certain guy you know?
    A few, 3 actually.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

evo's are the only imported cars i repect..

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    A few, 3 actually.
    I asked because the EVO9 MRs to be exact are usually slower since they have the 6spd and must shift to 5th. The 5spd trannies which are in the regular EVO and the RS model are much better for drag racing since you can stay in 4th through the traps . Also, it doesnt take full bolt-ons to get into the 11s. Many guys have done it with just intake, full exhaust and tunes.. and some good driving

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    WOW..nasty...yeah what are u runnin now EE? just put strano springs and konis in my baby..rides soooo sweet now ..oh ya and those new falken auto cross tire/rd tires.....very impressed with those so far actually..cheap to....158 a pop 275/40/17
    I swapped out my stock turbo for a custom 20G that utilizes the stock turbo housings (compressor and turbine). It just adds bigger wheels in there so it bolts up like stock and appears stock and also, spools like stock which is great. I also added methanol injection so I am running around 29-30psi on pump gas everyday. I love the setup so far.

I have heard good things about those new Falkens and damn they are CHEAP for that size!

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    cool man. i wanna see it run!

Ill try and get some vids soon! I need a good camera man

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    470 awhp out of a stock motor???? thats 600 flywheel....
    For some reason, I'm having a hard time believing the stock driveline is taking 130 HP from the flywheels to the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    For some reason, I'm having a hard time believing the stock driveline is taking 130 HP from the flywheels to the wheels.
    Typically, the drivetrain loss is aroun 22-24% on an AWD car. So being conservative... 22% added to 470whp is 103hp.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

I do not subscribe to the theory that it is a set percentage. In stock form, you can mathematically come up with a percentage based on rated HP and typical/average RWHP. If that equals, say 20% on a stock car, I don't believe that this 20% is a constant with an increase (or decrease) of power. Rather, I believe the HP loss is very close to the same for a given drivetrain - regardless of power made, so long as nothing is changed between the flywheel and the wheels.

I've never seen any proof otherwise.

Bob

I do not subscribe to the theory that it is a set percentage. In stock form, you can mathematically come up with a percentage based on rated HP and typical/average RWHP. If that equals, say 20% on a stock car, I don't believe that this 20% is a constant with an increase (or decrease) of power. Rather, I believe the HP loss is very close to the same for a given drivetrain - regardless of power made, so long as nothing is changed between the flywheel and the wheels.

I've never seen any proof otherwise.

Bob
    Of course there is no set percentage and every car is diffrent even if both were say AWD. Also, using the stock flywheel hp and calculating wheel isnt always the best idea either since a lot of times mfgs underrate power. I said AWD is typically between 22-24% for that reason.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Just curious, how does everthing else stock (like transmission, transfer case, Differentials/axles ect.) hold up on those EVO'S with that kind of HP or do you have to upgrade?
    Last edited by Redegal; 08-05-2007 at 05:13 AM.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Of course there is no set percentage and every car is diffrent even if both were say AWD. Also, using the stock flywheel hp and calculating wheel isnt always the best idea either since a lot of times mfgs underrate power. I said AWD is typically between 22-24% for that reason.
    And I disagreed. Given the same exact drivetrain (ie, no changes, upgrades, etc), I believe the loss from flywheel to the rearwheels won't change (at least not much) if you increase the engine HP from 276 to 470. IE...if it took 70 hp to turn the drivetrain with a stock motor, it will take about the same to turn the SAME DRIVETRAIN with the modified motor.

It is also my opinion that this 'percentage' thing is a way for dyno operators to tell their customers that they have this BIG hp at the engine now, cause its a "15%" or "18%" or whatever conversion.

Bologna.

470 AWD is, IMHO, likely in the 540 engine HP range. Not that it matters.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

so the fact that im SURE this has been tested and its been the standard for years and years is wrong and your theory is right? i think your opinion is clouded

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

I will gladly change my "opinion" if you can provide the evidence that I am wrong.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

not that this makes a shit, but it just sits uneasy with me that a car, an awd car at that, loses over 100 horsepower from the fly to the wheels, but here again i dont know shit, so....

whenever i hear a flywheel hp number on rwd cars i personally just subtract ~45 or in that neighborhood and by the stroke of luck i havent really ever been too far off.

wouldnt that percentage also drastically change if one introduced say aluminum drivetrain components as opposed to steel?

school me yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Redegal View Post
    Just curious, how does everthing else stock (like transmission, transfer case, Differentials/axles ect.) hold up on those EVO'S with that kind of HP or do you have to upgrade?
    All that stuff is fine up there as long as its MAINTAINED PROPERLY. That means fluids are changed regularly with the right fluids. 2003 EVOs inherently had more problems than the 2004-5-6s, mostly in the transfer case, however all the other years seem to be doing great in terms of reliability. I have 73,000 miles on my car and everything is rock solid.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

EE, let me know when you're going to the track? You going to Etown? If you're goin there Ill skip it, I hate etown. I'm more than happy to go to Atco though If I aint workin. Get my first 12 second slip once the sun goes down. Till winter though, gonna be lookin for a 11 sec NA slip after a little more tid bit work. Let me know though.

FWHP can never be measured, so does it really matter...... if you're worried about numbers then WHP is all that matters. The track is all that really matters anyway.
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    EE, let me know when you're going to the track? You going to Etown? If you're goin there Ill skip it, I hate etown. I'm more than happy to go to Atco though If I aint workin. Get my first 12 second slip once the sun goes down. Till winter though, gonna be lookin for a 11 sec NA slip after a little more tid bit work. Let me know though.

FWHP can never be measured, so does it really matter...... if you're worried about numbers then WHP is all that matters. The track is all that really matters anyway.

Hell no I will never go to Etown to race. Its triple the price of Atco and usually has a twice as long wait. I work a lot, and Im not down for spending that much time to get 2-3 runs IF THAT and taking a whole night to do it.

Right now, I am just waiting for it to cool down a little and I will leave work early on a Tuesday or Thursday and head to Atco. Again though, like last week, it is saying 94* but Thursday may look promising since the high is only around 82. That means hopefully it would be around 75 or so by 5:30... I could probably live with that!

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Ok, If you go thurs I should be good barring nothing comes up. I think I gotta keep a cork on it Thurs though which sucks.... Not sure but I'm almost positive.

white
    04 evo 8

I will gladly change my "opinion" if you can provide the evidence that I am wrong.
    F = ma, since force is the output of your motor, and each and every part of the drivetrain has mass, the faster you want it to accelerate means it requires more power.

for example:

lets say you have a 5 lb flywheel and want to accelerate it from 0 rpm to 100 rpm at a rate of 100 rpm/sec. (units are not going to make any sense here... because the real units might be over most peoples heads). A = 100rpm/s, m = 5lb therefor F must equal 500 lb*rpm/s.

now lets say your motor has more then enough power to spin that flywheel, and you want it to accelerate faster, so now lets say you are shooting for 200 rpm/sec

that means the flywheel requires 2x's as much force to accelerate it twice as fast.

the big thing is, on a RWD car you only have the rear driveshafts and the outputshaft of the tranny to the rear diff, plus the gears in the rear diff and tranny spinning. also, you most likely will never get a reasonably car to accelerate twice as fast. AWD cars have a center differential, front differential, and front drive shafts in addition to all the moving parts you have.

but what you should take from this is, anything with mass in the drive train requires force to begin accelerating. the more force (i.e. torque) the motor makes, the more acceleration you will see from the car, and since everything will be accelerating faster, everything will require more force.

i think i know what you were thinking of though.... friction. the friction from all these moving parts should remain relatively constant regardless of how much power the motor makes, or how fast everything is accelerating.

everything i said here can be proven by pointing out the fact that on a dyno, if you reduce your rotating mass from the drivetrain, you will have higher HP and torque numbers. this includes, driveshafts, wheels, tires, brake rotors, and flywheels/cranks, pulleys, pistons, etc etc etc. the drivetrain will have less mass, thus require less force, which means more force is applied to the ground rather then accelerating the drivetrain.

if none of this made any sense, imagine if you added a 5000lb flywheel to your car... and if you made 500hp, almost all the power would go to spinning the flywheel, and your car would accelerate REALLY slow (it would have a ton of momentum, but slow to accelerate). now you replace that flywheel with a 10 pound flywheel, and the car will now accelerate super fast. inertia is the word your looking for here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information