Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dodge Magnum Wagon Run/Kill ????

This is a discussion on Dodge Magnum Wagon Run/Kill ???? within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by patricksd I'm not trying to jump into an argument or anything, but I spent the last 3 ...

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    I'm not trying to jump into an argument or anything, but I spent the last 3 years in the Hemi camp. Hemi owners are just as rabid at LS1/LS2/LS6 owners. They love performance and there are some talented Mopar guys out there.

The problem is, they receive little to no support from Dodge. Let me give you an example. One of the most popular cams for a 5.7 Hemi is to drop a 6.1 Hemi cam into it. Its adds about 25 rwhp up top. Its popular because it requires no tuning and is relatively cheap. Well, Dodge caught onto this and placed the cam on national restriction. Meaning, the ONLY way you could get one was to prove you had an SRT-8 6.1 Hemi and suffered damage to the motor.

Instead, Dodge "created" a 5.7L Hemi Performance Cam that cost double the price of the 6.1. Capitalism at its best.

When the manufacturer doesn't support the aftermarket - Dodge hasn't supported it since the muscle car era - its difficult to modify a car or truck like you can a Chevy or Ford.
    Thats bullshit. Glad I'm a Chevy guy.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

According to Squires Turbo Systems, Diablosport is supposed to be introducing a tuner for the new Hemi by the end of this month (July 2007). It is pretty hard to significantly modify the new hemi because there are no plug and play tuning solutions for such things as larger fuel injectors, spark advance and retard, you know the drill. After that gets intoduced, I expect a noticeable increase in bolt-on Hemi beasts, as well as some more hardcore combos (strokers, etc.).

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

I was at a car show on Saturday, (all chrysler nationals) they had the 6.1L Hemi cut away motor display. Just to change the spark plugs you have to tear the motor down! I couldn't beleive it. Definetly a cool motor tho. I'll stick with my LS1.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    According to Squires Turbo Systems, Diablosport is supposed to be introducing a tuner for the new Hemi by the end of this month (July 2007). It is pretty hard to significantly modify the new hemi because there are no plug and play tuning solutions for such things as larger fuel injectors, spark advance and retard, you know the drill. After that gets intoduced, I expect a noticeable increase in bolt-on Hemi beasts, as well as some more hardcore combos (strokers, etc.).
    I've heard that too. The car and truck Hemi's have different PCM's - with the car PCM being more friendly.

To my knowledge, there are only two guys who have been able to really modify their Hemi motors. Both of them are truck guys and based in Texas. One of the guys used to have a website - www.thehemishop.com.

They are dropping 6.1 Hemi's in the trucks, stroking stock 5.7's, etc. I was going to buy my 6.1 cam from him, until he said he could not get them anymore. That's when I knew it was bullshit.

BUT, there was a guy that lurked around on dodgetalk.com that worked for Dodge. He had a stock 4x4 Hemi 1500 Quad Cab and helped design/code the PCM's. He would never reveal any information (since its propietary), but posted his track times with only PCM adjustments. He ran 1/4 mile times of 14.5, 14.7, and 14.45 with stock intake, exhaust, manifolds, and 275/70R17 BFG AT's. My truck was the exact same as his - and our track conditions were very similar. The best I could manage with a CAI, exhaust and Superchips was a 15.2. That tells you how much potential exists within that motor for someone that knows how to fully tune it.

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by 02ultraZ View Post
    I was at a car show on Saturday, (all chrysler nationals) they had the 6.1L Hemi cut away motor display. Just to change the spark plugs you have to tear the motor down! I couldn't beleive it. Definetly a cool motor tho. I'll stick with my LS1.
    That's not true. It just looks that way.

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    Raced a couple...they can't hang at all... raced a SRT8 once...they are impresive for being such big fat cows...but they still can't measure up...

but there's always someone that just outdoes everyone... like a 12sec. Waggon HEMI... that is a regular at the track here...
    The only way you can beat an SRT-8 if if you're modded in your A4. Otherwise, you don't measure up. I haven't raced a stock LS-1 yet that can measure up.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

I've raced an SRT-8 twice, both times it was a guy at work during our 3 a.m. break. We've basically got a 1/4 mile drag strip out back. First time I lost by 2.5 lengths, second time by 4-5 lengths. Not great, but considering the mileage on my car and the price and stats of his Charger, I think I did just fine. Oh, and he has a cold air intake as well. Nobody expected me to win, not even me, but it was all in good fun!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    The only way you can beat an SRT-8 if if you're modded in your A4. Otherwise, you don't measure up. I haven't raced a stock LS-1 yet that can measure up.
    well I have raced one...not many ways to fuck up in an Automatic... Allz I got is Intake, Free Mods and No Cats... and I edged it out...I'm not gonna say I creamed it... but I was leading at the very end...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

I wouldn't say that. There are plenty of M6 guys running 12's and faster. How many N/A SRT8's run in the 11's?

No doubt its a great package off the showroom floor (I've test driven one), but beyond that, there isn't much to it. Unless you call Superchips and B&G flashes a huge aftermarket.

Plus, its very difficult to compare a car that stopped production in 2002 to something that came out 4-5 years later. For $2,000 I can make my M6 run faster than an SRT8. That's called bang for the buck.

I'm not arguing the looks or exclusivity of an SRT8 (because I think they are bad ass), but they are far from an unbeatable car. Now, that same motor in the Challenger is a different story
    Last edited by patricksd; 07-14-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

That's not true. It just looks that way.
    Agreed. Changing the plugs on my Hemi were just as difficult as this LS1. Except the Hemi took 16 plugs instead of 8. Both are a PITA.

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

The key is stock. Once modded, the LS-1 rules.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

The key is stock. Once modded, the LS-1 rules.
    I'd agree with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information