Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

dodge challenger finally

This is a discussion on dodge challenger finally within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; this race better go down soon...

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

this race better go down soon

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    Look at some of my posts. I say the stock F-bodies around here run 13.7-13.8. That's pretty close to what the stock SRT8's I've seen run. I then said that the LS1 responds to mods better. The LS1 picks up 7-8 tenths with a lid, catback and canned tune like a Diablosport. The SRT8 cars seem to gain 3-4 tenths.

Right now, here in Orlando with 80 degree race temps and humidity at 70-90 percent no one runs anything close to a decent time. Last night the DA was 2187'. Add in poor track prep and guys with M/T ET's getting 1.9 60's and my Nitto's scatching a lousy 2.05 and I'm happy I ran a 13.2. I was still faster than a Magnum SRT8 that had headers and exhaust, DR's, an intake, throttle body and a tune. He was running 13.4-13.5.
    Personally I picked up .5 and 3mph on the canned tune, .6 and 4mph on the dyno tune. But I hadn't ran a 1.9 60ft prior to the tune, either.....

Okay, what 60fts was the Magnum getting and what speed? The throttle body is suspect, btw. That is pretty sad.

Here, check this out:

Perfect example of a driver's race ONLY when the SRT-8 is in a dead spot...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...amaro-z28.html

OR, if you want to be secular, same story:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/street...01-z28-m6.html

btw, what is the frontal area on a 4th gen Z-28??
    Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-09-2009 at 01:41 PM.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

lets all just stop this giant pissing match, I just want to see the OPs outcome with this thread getting locked

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    lets all just stop this giant pissing match, I just want to see the OPs outcome with this thread getting locked
    amen hutch! he prolly didnt race him

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    It's about as civil as information sharing can be. What thread are you reading?

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    It's about as civil as information sharing can be. What thread are you reading?
    I just want to see if the OP even raced at all, and if he did what the outcome was, but all that has been happening is the same hearsay and mag info gets passed back and forth between the ls1 crowd and the srt guys.

These threads turn ugly fast this is usually how it goes

You guys say something that makes a bunch of people mad and they take it as disrespect to the ls1

It then goes to personal attacks

They mouth you

Then you guys mouth back

this goes on untill a mod locks it.

Willy's already been called a troll, it's only a matter of time. I just dont want to see it locked.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

this thread=lame

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

This thread = EPIC FAIL

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Deuuuce,

Are you over here arguing the SRT question????

Sorry buddy but the stock SRT8's in this neck of the woods run high 13's. That's with no mods and an automatic. The 6 Speeds are definately faster since they have a decent posi and a decent gear ratio.

Here's what I see in the real world, at the track, not the cyber world.

Stock F-bodies run 13.5-13.8. Stock SRT8's with auto's run 13.6-13.9.

An F-body with a lid, the FRAM mod, a catback and a canned tune like a Predator is going to run about 2-3 tenths better than the SRT8 car.

If you look at the Challenger with the 6 speed the R/T is faster than the SRT8 auto and the SRT8 6 speed car is the one to beat. Stock they are running low 13's. Gears and a decent rear end make a world of difference.
    AHAHAHA...I hope this happens and you get OWNED. You clearly have ignored what SRT8s have been doing all over the country and have some kind of biased opinion of their performance.

As for the 6 speed R/T being faster than the AUTO SRT8? Seriously? Wow...you need to find a different supplier because I think whatever you are smoking is laced with something.

Deuuuce is spot on here and knows what he is talking about. You on the other hand...

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
    AHAHAHA...I hope this happens and you get OWNED. You clearly have ignored what SRT8s have been doing all over the country and have some kind of biased opinion of their performance.

As for the 6 speed R/T being faster than the AUTO SRT8? Seriously? Wow...you need to find a different supplier because I think whatever you are smoking is laced with something.

Deuuuce is spot on here and knows what he is talking about. You on the other hand...
    Glad you think so.

Like I've said in a bunch of other posts, I've raced SRT8's and won. Stock and modded. I'm always told that this is because the driver isn't properly skilled and doesn't get the most out of the car.

I go to the strip at least 2 times a month and sometimes 4 or 5 times a month. I watch the cars there and see what they do. It's pretty common to see a lightly modded F-Body running 12.9-13.3. I don't see that with the SRT8 cars.

I hope it goes down too. If I lose so what. My car is plenty fast enough for me. If I win, so what. That persons car is, hopefully plenty fast for them. I'm just challenging the SRT8 crowd to come up with a decent driver that can get into the real low 13's or high 12's with a lightly modded car. All the drivers I've seen so far must have been crappy.

You need to keep in mind where I'm located at too. Running in 75-85 degree heat with 80 percent humidity saps tons of power. So a 12 second SRT8 in drier and cooler climates might lose 4-6 tenths here.

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by willys srt8 View Post
    "big hammer - actually that's not true--- a ford magazine got a bone stock f-body to run a 12.89.

"fergyflyer - As pointed out MM&FF was amazed that a 2002 SS ran a full second faster than the 2002 Bullitt Mustang GT. Wasn't even ideal conditions, 80 plus and humid. The SS had about 12,000 miles on it and the paper air filter was not the cleanest."

"(Motor Trend)-The GT we tested in 1999 recorded slightly better acceleration times, possibly due to the fact that our test Bullitt was a brand-new car lacking any sort of break-in. Still, with just 200 miles on the clock, we got a 5.6-sec 0-60-mph time, just 0.2 sec slower than the '99 GT's. The Bullitt gets through the quarter in 14.07 sec at 97.9 mph, versus 14 flat and 100.2 mph."

i'm pretty sure that the mags tested in the real world unless you have better intel on the location. i have posted three times enough "real world" test by different mags and drivers supporting the SRT-8 being a low 13sec car and could continue all day. I traded my 96 Camaro in for the 02 bullitt mustang and it was a 14sec car and i traded it in for my SRT-8. so if the SS was a full second faster that would still make it a 13 sec car.

i searched MM&FF as well as several other sites but was unable to locate any article making such a statement. maybe you could post a link to it or to any site supporting a tested 12.89sec stock SS statement..........go ahead i'll wait................let me save you some time. these don't support it:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-4.shtml
    http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl.../russ0029.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth-...evrolet_Camaro
    http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...slip-8575.html
    http://www.fast-autos.net/vehicles/C...h_Anniversary/
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ang_specs.html
    http://musclecarfacts.net/2002-camaro.html

ok now i'll wait...............
    I'm confused...I am almost 100% positive I have posted this a million times in threads and forums that you read/?? missed it?

White
    2001 Z28 M6

btw, what is the frontal area on a 4th gen Z-28??
    I show 22 frontal area and .33 for the 4th gen (1998+) cars...

.33 x 22.0 = 7.26

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Glad you think so.

Like I've said in a bunch of other posts, I've raced SRT8's and won. Stock and modded. I'm always told that this is because the driver isn't properly skilled and doesn't get the most out of the car.

I go to the strip at least 2 times a month and sometimes 4 or 5 times a month. I watch the cars there and see what they do. It's pretty common to see a lightly modded F-Body running 12.9-13.3. I don't see that with the SRT8 cars.

I hope it goes down too. If I lose so what. My car is plenty fast enough for me. If I win, so what. That persons car is, hopefully plenty fast for them. I'm just challenging the SRT8 crowd to come up with a decent driver that can get into the real low 13's or high 12's with a lightly modded car. All the drivers I've seen so far must have been crappy.

You need to keep in mind where I'm located at too. Running in 75-85 degree heat with 80 percent humidity saps tons of power. So a 12 second SRT8 in drier and cooler climates might lose 4-6 tenths here.
    The weather takes a hit on both cars so you're not getting any kind of help from it.

Honestly from my recent SRT8 experience and watching a stone stock 2 week old Challenger SRT8 Auto (first time at the track owner) run a 13.3 @ 107mph here at Cordova (887ft DA) I don't think you are giving them enough credit at all. Like I said I hope you get a big dose of reality here...

What did you run stock and what do you run now? (Slips if you have them)

White
    2001 Z28 M6

C&D, 8/98, a 107mph trap speed SS Camaro was 6-7 seconds behind the LS1 C5 due to an earlier shift to 5th because of the shorter tires. The C5 did it in 30 seconds. That is LS2 GTO and SRT-8 territory.
    FWIW something else was at play there...I just ran the numbers and the shift points for the cars are not much different...(the shift from 4th to 5th is 5mph apart).. unless that would really add so much time?

Tire Diameter
    Y-Body--26.66
    F-Body--25.65

MPH @ Redline
    Gear----1st---2nd--3rd--4th
    Y-Body--52---78---107--139
    F-Body--50---75---103--134

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
    The weather takes a hit on both cars so you're not getting any kind of help from it.

Honestly from my recent SRT8 experience and watching a stone stock 2 week old Challenger SRT8 Auto (first time at the track owner) run a 13.3 @ 107mph here at Cordova (887ft DA) I don't think you are giving them enough credit at all. Like I said I hope you get a big dose of reality here...

What did you run stock and what do you run now? (Slips if you have them)
    Like I've said. I've raced them already. I've watched them race. It must be track conditions and road conditions here, but the SRT8 cars barely match F-Bodies when both are stock. When they get both get the same mods the F-Bodies run faster.

If you're seeing stock F-Bodies run 13.3 then we are seeing the same thing. Stock F-Bodies run 13.6- 13.7 around here. Stock SRT8's run about the same. Mod both cars with an intake, exhaust and a canned tune and the F-Body is a couple of tenths quicker.

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Like I've said. I've raced them already. I've watched them race. It must be track conditions and road conditions here, but the SRT8 cars barely match F-Bodies when both are stock. When they get both get the same mods the F-Bodies run faster.

If you're seeing stock F-Bodies run 13.3 then we are seeing the same thing. Stock F-Bodies run 13.6- 13.7 around here. Stock SRT8's run about the same. Mod both cars with an intake, exhaust and a canned tune and the F-Body is a couple of tenths quicker.
    My Stock 01 M6 went 13.1 @ 108mph on a 2.1 60ft with me driving and on another day at the same track my Fiance ran a 13.1 @ 105mph on a 1.99 60ft... Stock F-Bodies and stock SRT8s have been in the 12s on more than singular occasions and the low 13s more times than I can count.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Still no race?

willys srt8
    sorry S8ER01Z but i hadn't seen that nor the previous article until they were posted here. but i have found my the answer to the 13 sec question. tonight i went to the track for the first time. I drove 1 hour to Richmond did 16 hot laps with 13 wins, with a best of 13.1964@107.30, 3 loses which consisted of 1 red light, 1 total loss of traction, and 1 11 sec Honda dragster. the GTOs were averaging 14.3s as were the LT1 f-bodies and the LS1 guys that I was hanging around with were too modded to have a good comparison and they were averaging 12.8s. cool guys they were trying to coach me as I had never done this before. the mach I i ran got 14.5603@102.55 to my 13.4@105. temp was 82.9*, humidity was 58%, 75ft elevation, DA 1841, and the track sucked if that gives you enough info to decipher and critique my runs. corrected numbers were 12.92@109.647. I’ll have all the slips as soon as I figure out how to convert them to digits.

my best run looked like this

RT .2003 best was .0702
    60FT 2.0586
    330FT 5.6853
    1/8ET 8.5845
    1/8 MPH 85.31
    1/4ET 13.1964
    MPH 107.30
    Last edited by willys srt8; 05-16-2009 at 09:49 PM.

White
    2002 Z28

That's about the conditions I'm running in down here. SRT8's with your mods are running 13.2-13.3. Take away the dyno tune and add a canned tune and you're talking 13.5 ish give or take a tenth.

So we are seeing the same thing as far as the cars go. The only stock Mach 1 I've seen recently ran a 13.9. He was a pretty good driver.

The LT1 cars typically run low 14's.

The GTO's are all over the place. I owned one and they are real hard to drive fast. I'll see one run a 13.2 and then I'll see one run a 14.5. Unless I watch and see a good driver, or the car's an auto I pretty much don't pay too much attention to them.

Typical S197 Mustang GT runs a 14.0, maybe a 13.9 if it's stock with a couple 14.3's. A friend of mine has an S197, A5 with 3.55 gears, catback, CAI, Superchips tune and 285 rear tires. He runs 13.6-13.7 at 103.

The weather sucks here for racing. Too hot too humid. Suprisingly bad air pressure for being sea level.

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Still no race?
    I've run a bunch and beat them. Deuuuce is telling me they should beat me with equal mods.

I'm still waiting.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information