Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

cobra

This is a discussion on cobra within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; its a 99 with just exhaust cai and diablo tune and drag radials, im hearing he launches at 4500 with ...

black, and black
    04 M6

drag radials

its a 99 with just exhaust cai and diablo tune and drag radials, im hearing he launches at 4500 with no spin thats the only worry i have.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    its a 99 with just exhaust cai and diablo tune and drag radials, im hearing he launches at 4500 with no spin thats the only worry i have.

WTF--can I get a set of Drag Radials, and launch @ that RPM? That is crazy.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    The '01-02 Cobra's are not all what many think. I notice for some reason people seemed to be intimidated by them. They are very respectable, average 13.60s-13.80s @ 103-104.5, but are not quite up their with the stronger LS1's, plus they respond horribly to minor bolt-ons. Those cammers need boost to run with bolt-on LS1's.
    No such thing as a 02 Cobra. "Bolt-on" 99/01 Cobras have gone as quick as 11.6.

Drag Radials can be made to work very well if done correctly.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

should be a good race...
    You'll mostlikely win...
    GOOD LUCK!!!

10's N/A

[QUOTE=BLKCLOUD;846883]No such thing as a 02 Cobra. "Bolt-on" 99/01 Cobras have gone as quick as 11.6.

Typo on my part, I knew that. I'm atleast that much educated on Mustangs. As far as "bolt-ons" I followed MM&FF's "Superfly DOHC" 1997 Cobra project build up mod for mod just to see what these 4.6 could do (It was 1997 - they were band new). They installed every single bolt-on you can do before going HCI, power adder, and dyno'd and track tested between mods. Editor Evan Smith commented how shocking the small increases were compared to 5-0 Bolt-ons, and at one point said it seemed they were going nowhere with bolt-ons. A Flowmaster cat-back gained 0hp and actually decreased torque when the motor was completely stock, and long-tube headers showed only a few ponies over shorties if you can believe that. The quickest they went in that car was a respectable 11.95@114 with cams and head work. Trust me, LS1's respond much better to bolt-ons. Now an '03-04, that's a whole different story.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

I know Jim Campisano (the owner of the car), and I know Evan much better. 'Stupidfly' sucked for drag racing - the car was setup for road racing.

As for bolt-on Cobras....

That car went 11.60 that day - almost 4 years ago. At the time, the quickest "bolt-on" M6 LS1 had gone 11.54.

There is now a "bolt-on" 98 Cobra and a couple of 2003 Mach 1s that have gone significantly quicker.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    I know Jim Campisano (the owner of the car), and I know Evan much better. 'Stupidfly' sucked for drag racing - the car was setup for road racing.

As for bolt-on Cobras....

That car went 11.60 that day - almost 4 years ago. At the time, the quickest "bolt-on" M6 LS1 had gone 11.54.

There is now a "bolt-on" 98 Cobra and a couple of 2003 Mach 1s that have gone significantly quicker.
    "Superfly" wasn't set up for Road Race before the first few bolt-ons went on (TB, MAF, K&N, X-Pipe, gears, and so on), and i've already seen that car. I never said you can't get a bolt-on Cobra into the 11's, just that LS1's respond better to them.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Are cams and a tune considered a "bolt on". Just wondering.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    "Superfly" wasn't set up for Road Race before the first few bolt-ons went on (TB, MAF, K&N, X-Pipe, gears, and so on), and i've already seen that car. I never said you can't get a bolt-on Cobra into the 11's, just that LS1's respond better to them.
    TB & MAF do virtually zilch for a DOHC. CAI & exhaust will help quite a bit. Gear will show less RWHP on the dyno, but that means little. That's not magazine racing with Stupidfly, rather, it is real world stuff.

My 99 Went from 277 RWHP bone stock to 315 RWHP with exhaust, CAI, pulleys, and a tune. That's an increase of ~40 RWHP, or about 13%. A typical LS1 will dyno around 300 RWHP stock, and 350 RWHP from exhaust, CAI, tune, and a few other minor mods is not uncommon. That's an increase of ~50 RWHP, or about 15%. I'd say the gains are pretty close.

Finally, the quickest bolt-on M5 DOHC is a couple of tenths quicker than the quickest bolt-on M6 LS1.

Ford A4s suck, so that is no contest.

PS....I do agree that the LS1 is the better performance motor.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    Are cams and a tune considered a "bolt on". Just wondering.
    There are those that consider cams a "bolt-on", but most do not (me included). Once you go that far, you might as well start claiming pistons are bolt-ons too. Personally, I like to go by LS1Tech's way of putting it: If it doesn't touch oil, its a bolt-on.

A tune certainly would be considered a 'bolt-on'.

Black
    2002 WS6

There are those that consider cams a "bolt-on", but most do not (me included). Once you go that far, you might as well start claiming pistons are bolt-ons too. Personally, I like to go by LS1Tech's way of putting it: If it doesn't touch oil, its a bolt-on.

A tune certainly would be considered a 'bolt-on'.
    In the case of that car the claim is that nothing that touches oil is a bolt-on. There are stock internal bolt-on 11.5 LS1s too. I seriously doubt he's going to be racing an obsessed freak like Bob Cosby. As I recall that car has 4:10 gears among other mods, and you heard the way he teed it up out of the hole. Great way to break a car.

10's N/A

TB & MAF do virtually zilch for a DOHC. CAI & exhaust will help quite a bit. Gear will show less RWHP on the dyno, but that means little. That's not magazine racing with Stupidfly, rather, it is real world stuff.

My 99 Went from 277 RWHP bone stock to 315 RWHP with exhaust, CAI, pulleys, and a tune. That's an increase of ~40 RWHP, or about 13%. A typical LS1 will dyno around 300 RWHP stock, and 350 RWHP from exhaust, CAI, tune, and a few other minor mods is not uncommon. That's an increase of ~50 RWHP, or about 15%. I'd say the gains are pretty close.

Finally, the quickest bolt-on M5 DOHC is a couple of tenths quicker than the quickest bolt-on M6 LS1.

Ford A4s suck, so that is no contest.

PS....I do agree that the LS1 is the better performance motor.
    Totally agree with your comment. That's what i've been trying to say this entire time. I'm very aware of what 4v Cobra's are capable of, trust me, i've had a few very close races with them in the past. I always said that if I was ever to buy a Mustang it would be a 4-valve - no exceptions. A lot of my buddies don't care much for them, but you have to give them credit for the kind of power they can produce with only 281 cubes. They can be amazing.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Black R/A View Post
    In the case of that car the claim is that nothing that touches oil is a bolt-on. There are stock internal bolt-on 11.5 LS1s too. I seriously doubt he's going to be racing an obsessed freak like Bob Cosby. As I recall that car has 4:10 gears among other mods, and you heard the way he teed it up out of the hole. Great way to break a car.
    LOL. Ya, who is that guy anyway? And 4.10s are for little boys.

Actually, the quickest bolt-on M6 LS1 (that I know of) is running 11.4s (with 4.56s, btw), and there are a couple of LS1 A4s that have gone high 10s with stock longblocks (in 2700 lb shells, of course).

Black
    2002 WS6

LOL. Ya, who is that guy anyway? And 4.10s are for little boys.

Actually, the quickest bolt-on M6 LS1 (that I know of) is running 11.4s (with 4.56s, btw), and there are a couple of LS1 A4s that have gone high 10s with stock longblocks (in 2700 lb shells, of course).

Yup, forgot about the A4s. I was thinking in M6 terms. Say, that avatar looks familiar.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Its a dwarf version of a larger image. I'm sure you understand.

Black
    1998 Z/28

for future reference, 03-04 cobras have a spoiler that lays flat on the trunk lid, the earlier model spoilers are lifted off the trunk about 3 inches unless they have changed out their spoilers.
    http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheelieke5.jpg361hp 351tq 98 Z/28 A4 SLP Lid/Smooth Bellow/LM2 K&N Filter Pacesetter Headers TSP Y Pipe Z06 Style Wheels B&M shifter Yank 3200 Prothane Motor/Trans Mounts Torquer V2/7.425" p-rods/Comp Springs
    $, the replacement for displacement.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey1987 View Post
    for future reference, 03-04 cobras have a spoiler that lays flat on the trunk lid, the earlier model spoilers are lifted off the trunk about 3 inches unless they have changed out their spoilers.
    hey buddy, your rwhp sounds kinda low for all the mods you've got. You got a cam? You're probably in need of a tune. Stock mine did 317 and with a lid and kn it did 331rwhp.

Black
    2002 WS6

Its a dwarf version of a larger image. I'm sure you understand.
    LOL.

Black
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    hey buddy, your rwhp sounds kinda low for all the mods you've got. You got a cam? You're probably in need of a tune. Stock mine did 317 and with a lid and kn it did 331rwhp.
    yeh, ive got a TR224 cam, no tune yet. hope to be closer to 370-380 after tune.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

1999-2001 Cobras share the same engine as the 2004 Mach 1, and I am not scared of either of those cars. Either one is capable of beating my chipped LT1 (driver's race), but it wouldn't even be a race for an LS1. Motor Trend knocked out the same times with the 1993 Z28 when it was introduced as they did with the 2004 Mach 1. If your that worried about it, bolt up some drag radials. And as for the member with the question about launching an LS1 car at 4-5,000 on DRs, the answer is yes and no. Yes, you will have enhanced traction which will enable you to launch while you are in the meat of your powerband, but LS and LT cars out-torque the Stangs pretty significantly, and with he tires planting all that torque, a launch like that puts other stock components at risk, like u-joints, driveshafts, clutch, trans, differential, and axles (mostly clutch, shaft, and u-joints).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information