Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

cobalt ss

This is a discussion on cobalt ss within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 I knew what he meant by it though... Still he says if you turn up the ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I knew what he meant by it though...
    Still he says if you turn up the boost it will blow. The stock turbo doesnt even generate enough power to push the limits of the internals. So then what he said makes no sense so how did you understand it

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Still he says if you turn up the boost it will blow. The stock turbo doesnt even generate enough power to push the limits of the internals. So then what he said makes no sense so how did you understand it
    No sense?? Plenty of guys have blown up stock turbo STI's over the years from modding and increasing boost pressure. It happens.

As for boost pressure, 20PSI is 20PSI. You could have a stock turbo or a GT40R, hook up a boost gauge to the intake manifold, its going to read 20PSI. That means the manifold is pressurized to 20 pounds per cubic inch of air. Meaning when the intake valve opens, you're forcing in air at 20PSI. Its not that hard to understand. The more boost you are running, the harder it is on the engine, regardless of turbo size.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    No sense?? Plenty of guys have blown up stock turbo STI's over the years from modding and increasing boost pressure. It happens.

As for boost pressure, 20PSI is 20PSI. You could have a stock turbo or a GT40R, hook up a boost gauge to the intake manifold, its going to read 20PSI. That means the manifold is pressurized to 20 pounds per cubic inch of air. Meaning when the intake valve opens, you're forcing in air at 20PSI. Its not that hard to understand. The more boost you are running, the harder it is on the engine, regardless of turbo size.
    So then your saying a gt40r at 20psi is just as harmful as a a vf34 at 20psi? Since you said reguardless of turbo. Lol your soooooooooooooooooo wrong. Everyone would just be buying gt35rs and bolting them up and running stock psi and be just as reliable but makes much more power if thats how it worked. Since its the same psi it must be doing the same damage.

All im saying is more air=more power=bang if its not setup for it. Your flowing much much more air with a bigger turbo even at the same psi as a smaller turbo and power is what kills not a certain psi. More air+more fuel=bigger bang and what flows more air a gt35r at 20psi or a stock sti turbo at 20psi?
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-11-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

Sigh....PSI doesn't mean crap guys.....a GT35 at 20psi is WAY different than a stock turbo at 20 psi....

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    Sigh....PSI doesn't mean crap guys.....a GT35 at 20psi is WAY different than a stock turbo at 20 psi....
    Thanks, finally someone who isnt just blindly following wesmans crazyness

black
    1999 T/A

craziness is the word. someone doesn't know what they are talking about.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

So then your saying a gt40r at 20psi is just as harmful as a a vf34 at 20psi? Since you said reguardless of turbo. Lol your soooooooooooooooooo wrong. Everyone would just be buying gt35rs and bolting them up and running stock psi and be just as reliable but makes much more power if thats how it worked. Since its the same psi it must be doing the same damage.

All im saying is more air=more power=bang if its not setup for it. Your flowing much much more air with a bigger turbo even at the same psi as a smaller turbo and power is what kills not a certain psi. More air+more fuel=bigger bang and what flows more air a gt35r at 20psi or a stock sti turbo at 20psi?
    So by your theory, you could run 30PSI on a the stock turbo and not worry blowing anything up because its not moving enough air??

Arctic White, red/gray

So by your theory, you could run 30PSI on a the stock turbo and not worry blowing anything up because its not moving enough air??
    The stock turbo wont churn out 30psi and if you do your not making anymore power than 22psi because its far out of its effciency range, its like when dsmers turn the boost on there stock 14b to 20psi it makes the same power at 15psi where it stops flowing effciently. But yes you can run 22psi on stock sti turbo with 93 octane and if you are tuned correctly will have no problems. Some guys running e85 get 24-25psi out of it and drive them as DDs but that also requires a better fuel system. The sti turbo is alot better than my vf40 and i run 17-18psi as a DD with no problems, doesnt burn oil at all. I log my car usually twice a month to make sure my tune isnt causeing any knock and make sure everything is where it should be.

All these kids who blow there DSMs and STIs and EVOs sky high turn up the boost and either a dont have a good tune or B dont have a good enough fuel system, which means they knock, run lean and get hot and blow or bend or crack or pierce.

As i have said there are people running 400whp on stock sti and legacy internals with no problems because they have the right fuel system and tuning/logging to make it reliable and with logging you know when your tune is doing things to your car it shouldnt be.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-12-2009 at 02:08 PM.

It also has to due with the efficiency of the turbocharger and the volume of air it moves through the combustion chamber. Sure if you are comparing a small and a large turbo running 30psi. The boost pressure is the same in the combustion chamber, but the power output is different due to the efficiency of the turbocharger. The more power an engine produces relates to the amount of work it's doing. It's mechanical energy. So essentially the larger turbo is going to make an engine work harder on the same boost level than a smaller turbo. This in turn creates more horsepower.

It's okay if you don't understand this, a lot of people don't. You can do some research in physics on the properties of work and power and how they relate to mechanical energy.

1992 Firebird
    1998 Camaro SS

my SS/SC is a stage 2 and it can't compete with my LS1. I imagine the new turbo cobalts would put up a much better fight though.

Quote Originally Posted by samuraidonkey View Post
    my SS/SC is a stage 2 and it can't compete with my LS1. I imagine the new turbo cobalts would put up a much better fight though.
    This thread is many months old. It should be closed before another shit storm starts.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by superluminal View Post
    this thread is many months old. It should be closed before another shit storm starts.
    fuck ricers!

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    fuck ricers!
    hell yes

Arctic White, red/gray

fuck ricers!
    HAHAHA, let the battle BEGIN

silver
    2002 ws6

HAHAHA, let the battle BEGIN
    i want to ride my bicycle, i want to ride my bike. i want to ride my bicycle i want to ride it when i like!

Arctic White, red/gray

i want to ride my bicycle, i want to ride my bike. i want to ride my bicycle i want to ride it when i like!

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

My friend spent nine grand on his engine in his wrx and will only pull my by half a car off a roll. He was pretty pissed when a nine grand motor barley beat a bolt on v8

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    My friend spent nine grand on his engine in his wrx and will only pull my by half a car off a roll. He was pretty pissed when a nine grand motor barley beat a bolt on v8
    Your friend either built the engine and put a small turbo on it or spent his money on a bad setup. I have 200 dollars in to horsepower parts on my subaru and it runs 13.7-13.9s trapping 101mph and its an automatic that weighs 3400lbs compared to the WRXs 3100lbs. Not that those times are faster than a bolt on f-body as i was trapping 111mph in my bolt on t/a. But still if i were to put 9k into this engine and turbo setup it would put out over 400whp and could trap 120+mph.

Eitherway the 2.5 boxer engine is very expensive to mod past basic bolt ons. I could easily spent 35k on engine/turbo parts alone. 9k in that engine either gets you a very reliable low comp stroker with forged intetnals but leaves little money left over for a good turbo setup or a really nice turbo setup with all the right supporting mods on a long block. 9k isnt enough to fully build that engine.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-09-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Your friend either built the engine and put a small turbo on it or spent his money on a bad setup. I have 200 dollars in to horsepower parts on my subaru and it runs 13.7-13.9s trapping 101mph and its an automatic that weighs 3400lbs compared to the WRXs 3100lbs. Not that those times are faster than a bolt on f-body as i was trapping 111mph in my bolt on t/a. But still if i were to put 9k into this engine and turbo setup it would put out over 400whp and could trap 120+mph.

Eitherway the 2.5 boxer engine is very expensive to mod past basic bolt ons. I could easily spent 35k on engine/turbo parts alone. 9k in that engine either gets you a very reliable low comp stroker with forged intetnals but leaves little money left over for a good turbo setup or a really nice turbo setup with all the right supporting mods on a long block. 9k isnt enough to fully build that engine.
    its an 02 2.0L hitting 25 lbs boost with a cam and other internal work unsure of turbo size though

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    its an 02 2.0L hitting 25 lbs boost with a cam and other internal work unsure of turbo size though
    Yeah, the 2.0s are cheaper to built but are getting to be a old design. Its probably a 20g or something simular which on that engine at that boost would put down 320-350whp. So it would be a close race against a 350-360whp bolt on T/A since the WRX is about 200-300lbs lighter. He could have spent all his money on the fuel system/turbo setup and made alot more power but it would be pushing the stock internal limits for sure. And the tranny on those year WRXs are weak as hell. I would never built my subaru unless i had a good 40k to spend on drivetrain and engine alone. I dont ever see myself having 40k to put into a car, atleast until the house is paid off. Which is why im just gonna get a ls1 car and stick a cam in it AGAIN.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-09-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information