Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 102

cobalt ss

This is a discussion on cobalt ss within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; 1400hp eco tec... not that is video has anything to do with real cars but its cool......

  1. #41
    OOHHH YEAH! jray0305usa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    toledo ohio
    Age
    31
    Posts
    253

    black
    99 z28 a4

    1400hp eco tec... not that is video has anything to do with real cars but its cool...

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    How is this "horribly ugly"??

    Click for full size

    That looks 10x better than the new WRX, which looks like someone smashed together a Suzuki Aerio with a Forenza grille and stick a Subaru badge on it.

    And as for quality?? I don't own either, but my friend has an STi and my other friend used to have a Cobalt SS Supercharged. The interior quality was about the same, as was the rest of the car. Both cars sounded the same when you shut the doors, nice thunk. I don't know where you're getting these crazy ideas, I think you're mistaking a Cavalier for a Cobalt.
    You friend probably had a pre 08 STI

    Here is the 06 STI

    http://image.motortrend.com/f/828753...erior_view.jpg

    Here is the 08

    http://images.motortrend.com/roadtes...erior_view.jpg

    The 08 STI interior is much nicer. But we are comparing the 09 wrx vs the 09 cobalt ss

    The cobalt msrp with the limited slip diff which is retarded that its an option is almost 26k, the wrx premium is 26k.

    Personally i think this



    Is far better looking than this, inside and out




    Not to mention people who buy these cars usually buy them to be DDs that you can have fun with and where i live FWD is a deal breaker. After haveing my subaru for the past 2 winters i really dont wanna have another car that doesnt have AWD for my DD. I drive a subaru as a DD and the interior quality is far better, you can believe me or not but the cobalt is very cheap, the interior material feels like the 07 focus.

    All in all the cobalt is a great bang for the buck but you know the moment you get inside why the car is so cheap. The WRX and STI have a slightly cheaper feel than my legacy gts interior but its still above the cobalt in material and fit and finish.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-05-2009 at 09:24 AM.

  3. #43
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Posts
    98

    Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

    I can't argue that my 05 STi was probably the best all-around vehicle I've ever owned. Period. With the new SS/TC 4 door cobalt it might be a tougher decision, and definitely harder to spend the extra 8 grand...

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    I can't argue that my 05 STi was probably the best all-around vehicle I've ever owned. Period. With the new SS/TC 4 door cobalt it might be a tougher decision, and definitely harder to spend the extra 8 grand...
    I agree, i always thought the STI was too pricey. I mean you get alot, brembos, nice suspension(the 08+ might be uglier but the suspension is very nice) a 6 speed that can take soem abuse, torsen rear diff, dccd controller and 300hp. Not to mention a car that with the back seats laid down has about 5 feet of storage and one of the best AWD out there.

    Thats why subaru is bumping the power on the STI to 340-380. People are asking why buy the STI when the wrx is just as fast in the 1/4mile. Alot of people could care less about brembos and the 6 speed and torsen rear diff.

  5. #45
    $ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Waco
    Posts
    1,186

    2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

    Well to the approval of some and dismay of others I do have first hand info on a run in with a EVO. He was proclaimed as the fastest little car around, spanking TAs, Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes, almost anything that was thrown at him. To watch the guy ready his car before a race was comparable to watching someone work on your computer and empty your hard drive. He would go in and tune and tweak for each race either detuning or increasing boost dependant on his opponent.
    Well let's just say I became interested in how this littel car would fair against my WS6 and 423 RWHP. He asked for a dig, a 30 rol and a 50 roll and all three instances he walked me by about 2 cars to 120. Now, granted this littel ugly assed yellow thing whooped my ass fair and square, come to find out he had invested 26k on top of his 30k purchase price! WHOA FU*K!@ Imagine how fast my WS6 would be if I had 26K to invest. Well for most runs he said he'd run 24-26lbs. boost and being intimidated by the sound of my car he threw 30 psi at this 4 banger. Honestly I believe he'd a smoked me on 20 psi boost. The little lightweight Mutha Fker is fast. He did prove logging of his 1/4 mile runs and he is a consistent mid 11s car. ( compared to my low 12's car.)
    I do agree with you who say they can be fast!! They are indeed. But in the looks department I'd have to say it;s the ugliest body design compared to the SS and WRX, but honestly I wouldn't put a one of them in my driveway for the simple FWD and AWD uglyass cars that they are. OH yeah and it's still 4 cyl no matter how much you spend on it.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by VENOMOUS View Post
    Well to the approval of some and dismay of others I do have first hand info on a run in with a EVO. He was proclaimed as the fastest little car around, spanking TAs, Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes, almost anything that was thrown at him. To watch the guy ready his car before a race was comparable to watching someone work on your computer and empty your hard drive. He would go in and tune and tweak for each race either detuning or increasing boost dependant on his opponent.
    Well let's just say I became interested in how this littel car would fair against my WS6 and 423 RWHP. He asked for a dig, a 30 rol and a 50 roll and all three instances he walked me by about 2 cars to 120. Now, granted this littel ugly assed yellow thing whooped my ass fair and square, come to find out he had invested 26k on top of his 30k purchase price! WHOA FU*K!@ Imagine how fast my WS6 would be if I had 26K to invest. Well for most runs he said he'd run 24-26lbs. boost and being intimidated by the sound of my car he threw 30 psi at this 4 banger. Honestly I believe he'd a smoked me on 20 psi boost. The little lightweight Mutha Fker is fast. He did prove logging of his 1/4 mile runs and he is a consistent mid 11s car. ( compared to my low 12's car.)
    I do agree with you who say they can be fast!! They are indeed. But in the looks department I'd have to say it;s the ugliest body design compared to the SS and WRX, but honestly I wouldn't put a one of them in my driveway for the simple FWD and AWD uglyass cars that they are. OH yeah and it's still 4 cyl no matter how much you spend on it.
    They are pricey to build but with that much money in his car you would think it would be a low 10 to high 9 car. My buddy had some money into his evo 9, cams, internals, head, gt35r turbo, fuel system, supporting mods he porbably put 15-20k into and went a 10.2 at the track on his first run and couldnt run again because he had no cage.

    He traded it for a 01 SS BTW

  7. #47
    $ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Waco
    Posts
    1,186

    2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    They are pricey to build but with that much money in his car you would think it would be a low 10 to high 9 car. My buddy had some money into his evo 9, cams, internals, head, gt35r turbo, fuel system, supporting mods he porbably put 15-20k into and went a 10.2 at the track on his first run and couldnt run again because he had no cage.

    He traded it for a 01 SS BTW
    I know it had cams, head work, internals, and his tuning. I think he was 11s at the 20psi, have no clue on the 30 psi. He showed dyno runs of 600+ on 22 psi AWHP. So yeah I can see 800-1000 hp engines being attainable.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by VENOMOUS View Post
    I know it had cams, head work, internals, and his tuning. I think he was 11s at the 20psi, have no clue on the 30 psi. He showed dyno runs of 600+ on 22 psi AWHP. So yeah I can see 800-1000 hp engines being attainable.

    Wow with 600whp he should be a high 9 second car, low 10s atleast. If hes running 11s somethings not right.

    I know 11 second evos making 400whp evos
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-05-2009 at 01:52 PM.

  9. #49
    Junior Member Electric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    34
    Posts
    37

    Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Wow with 600whp he should be a high 9 second car, low 10s atleast. If hes running 11s somethings not right.

    I know 11 second evos making 400whp evos
    Yeah I went 11.9@118mph with the stock turbo on pump gas in my 2005 EVO with 25psi. I made 378awhp.
    2008 Lexus IS250 AWD (sold)
    2005 EVO8 - 460awhp (sold)
    1994 Nissan Sentra XE (beater)
    2002 Electron Blue Corvette Z06
    Performance |Halltech Venom, 3:73s, LS7 Clutch
    Exterior |Chrome wheels, ECC Clear corners, Lowered, Tint

  10. #50
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Wow with 600whp he should be a high 9 second car, low 10s atleast. If hes running 11s somethings not right.

    I know 11 second evos making 400whp evos
    You can speculate what he "should run" all day, its nothing but hearsay.

    Bottom line is you aren't making an Evo a 9 or 10 second car without completely rebuilding the entire drivetrain, as well as most of the rest of the car. The transmission/transfer case and axles will be all over the road long before you break into the 10's. Not to mention the engine itself. Making that kind of power with an engine that small takes its toll on the internals. You can't imagine the amount of stress put the rotating assembly, block, heads, ect. Its not a matter of if something will give, its a matter of when, and the answer is proportional to the amount of boost and/or power the car is making.

  11. #51
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post

    Click for full size

    Here's the inspirtation for the 08+ Impreza WRX/STI:



    At least the Cobalt looks proportional to itself. The new WRX looks like a bulbous body sitting atop a frame and wheels that are way to small for it, with a roofline off of an SUV.

  12. #52
    Junior Member Electric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    34
    Posts
    37

    Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    You can speculate what he "should run" all day, its nothing but hearsay.

    Bottom line is you aren't making an Evo a 9 or 10 second car without completely rebuilding the entire drivetrain, as well as most of the rest of the car. The transmission/transfer case and axles will be all over the road long before you break into the 10's. Not to mention the engine itself. Making that kind of power with an engine that small takes its toll on the internals. You can't imagine the amount of stress put the rotating assembly, block, heads, ect. Its not a matter of if something will give, its a matter of when, and the answer is proportional to the amount of boost and/or power the car is making.
    Thats actually not true. Most EVO 8-9s (I am not familiar with the 10s) really don't need anything other than a clutch. There is no upgrade for the rear either. There are many EVOs running 10s on just a clutch. You can run 10s all day on a stock 4G63 too. I ran 30psi daily with over 75k miles on my EVO. Obviously any car running 10s or 9s will need to upgrade the drivetrain over time, that goes for any car. From what I have been reading about my Z06, to run some quick times I need to make some drivetrain upgrades too, but I am taking it slow with this because I am in no rush, going to keep this a long time!
    Last edited by Electric; 05-06-2009 at 06:25 AM.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    You can speculate what he "should run" all day, its nothing but hearsay.

    Bottom line is you aren't making an Evo a 9 or 10 second car without completely rebuilding the entire drivetrain, as well as most of the rest of the car. The transmission/transfer case and axles will be all over the road long before you break into the 10's. Not to mention the engine itself. Making that kind of power with an engine that small takes its toll on the internals. You can't imagine the amount of stress put the rotating assembly, block, heads, ect. Its not a matter of if something will give, its a matter of when, and the answer is proportional to the amount of boost and/or power the car is making.
    Right and he and i said that both the guys had 20k into there cars, that includes head work and internals. 600whp 3300lbs car with AWD should be able to run 10s atleast. Oh and my friend had just an upgraded clutch and went a low 10 first run down the track.

    You do know the fastest AWD car is a DSM running 7.7 at 195mph. Its a stock chassis car, lighter and stronger because of roll cage and other chassis mods. Obviously the car is fully built everywhere, hell its owned by a guy who makes his living building dsm and evo drivetrains. Im just stating this because you dont believe 4cylinder imports can be fast. Its a 1200hp 2.4liter 4cylinder.

    All im saying is subaru must be doing something right they are 1 of the only car companys that sales increased in 2008 over 2007 not by much but still. Sure they dont churn out anywhere near the cars ford and gm does but thats another thing that appeals to people, getting a reliable somewhat cheap car that not everyone in america has. I have gone a week or two without seeing another legacy. Cobalts well i see about 20 a day.

    I used to believe in GM, now that they are government motors and have a black box in every car they make i will never buy a new gm car again.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-06-2009 at 07:21 AM.

  14. #54
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    They are pricey to build but with that much money in his car you would think it would be a low 10 to high 9 car. My buddy had some money into his evo 9, cams, internals, head, gt35r turbo, fuel system, supporting mods he porbably put 15-20k into and went a 10.2 at the track on his first run and couldnt run again because he had no cage.

    He traded it for a 01 SS BTW
    For that Kind of cash.....why not just by a Vette? I mean why by a 30k car and then dump like 26k in the engine?

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Mieux97 View Post
    For that Kind of cash.....why not just by a Vette? I mean why by a 30k car and then dump like 26k in the engine?
    He didnt trade straight up and he likes having a back seat and it was the other guy who had 26k into his car, i didnt even make that post. This guy had 15ishk into it.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-06-2009 at 08:53 AM.

  16. #56
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    Thats actually not true. Most EVO 8-9s (I am not familiar with the 10s) really don't need anything other than a clutch. There is no upgrade for the rear either. There are many EVOs running 10s on just a clutch. You can run 10s all day on a stock 4G63 too. I ran 30psi daily with over 75k miles on my EVO. Obviously any car running 10s or 9s will need to upgrade the drivetrain over time, that goes for any car. From what I have been reading about my Z06, to run some quick times I need to make some drivetrain upgrades too, but I am taking it slow with this because I am in no rush, going to keep this a long time!
    How can you say they don't need anything other than a clutch when I've personally witnessed mildly modified Evos puking transmissions/transfer cases all over the track when trying to launch?? I'd like to see what the internals of your engine would have looked like after 75K miles of 30PSI, I doubt the rings and cylinder walls would have been in any sort of good condition. That kind of boost takes its toll on engines, whether you like to believe it or not, they aren't invincible. Physics doesn't make exceptions

    As for your Z06, you should be fine with the stock drivetrain to at least run 11's or 10's in your car. The T56 is damn near bulletproof, not all that familiar with the differential in the Vettes though. And of course you'll need an upgraded clutch, LS6 clutch will probably max out somewhere around 450WHP.

  17. #57
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Right and he and i said that both the guys had 20k into there cars, that includes head work and internals. 600whp 3300lbs car with AWD should be able to run 10s atleast. Oh and my friend had just an upgraded clutch and went a low 10 first run down the track.

    You do know the fastest AWD car is a DSM running 7.7 at 195mph. Its a stock chassis car, lighter and stronger because of roll cage and other chassis mods. Obviously the car is fully built everywhere, hell its owned by a guy who makes his living building dsm and evo drivetrains. Im just stating this because you dont believe 4cylinder imports can be fast. Its a 1200hp 2.4liter 4cylinder.

    All im saying is subaru must be doing something right they are 1 of the only car companys that sales increased in 2008 over 2007 not by much but still. Sure they dont churn out anywhere near the cars ford and gm does but thats another thing that appeals to people, getting a reliable somewhat cheap car that not everyone in america has. I have gone a week or two without seeing another legacy. Cobalts well i see about 20 a day.
    You can throw numbers and argue about this all day, but the bottom line is with enough money you can make any car fast. It just matters what you think is a good platorm to go fast with, and you and I obviously don't see eye to eye on that. I'd rather not try and go fast with a 4 cylinder economy car, I just don't see any point.

    I used to believe in GM, now that they are government motors and have a black box in every car they make i will never buy a new gm car again.
    So why are you here then?? You obviously prefer Subarus and Mitsubishis to anything American.

  18. #58
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    He didnt trade straight up and he likes having a back seat and it was the other guy who had 26k into his car, i didnt even make that post. This guy had 15ishk into it.
    Oh

  19. #59
    Boosting Daily
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    33

    Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

    The new TC/SS is a great little car, and I'm glad is smokes the Evo X. The new Evo's are heavy underpowered pigs, that get out performed in every aspect by the previous Evo 8 & 9's.
    And for the record I'm one of the "1 in a 1000" of Evo owners that've ran 12's all stock. But that was with a crappy 1.898 60ft. time. But on top of that, it was my first ever time to the track, and this is my first ever manual trans. car. I'll post up a slip if you guys would like no prob. for proof, it just sucks I couldn't get down into the 1.7-6 range to maybe drop me into the 12.6-5 range all stock.
    I've came down to the assumption that my car may be a "factory freak" seeing it trapped just over 107 all stock.

    But back on topic.. and I hope the new Cobalt continues to beat the piss out of the new Evo X in every way.
    All stock Evo VIII 12.95 @ 106.32mph with a 1.89 60ft.
    Highest stock trap: 107.26mph

  20. #60
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Wow, lot of gay in this thread, looks like wesman has it handled pretty well though.

    I've seen several STI's at the local track and none of them have run 12s. One guy won't even tell me his mods because he's so embarassed by his times. I know for sure he has intake and down pipe upgrades and he runs a best of mid 13s, usually high 13s.

    What I find to be hilarious about the whole thing is Zingery talks about how great the STI and EVOs are on the 1/4 mile track compared to the inferior Cobalt. Let me just say I could care less about either of these cars, including the Cobalt, but why the hell are you bragging about it's 1/4 mile times. Whenever someone compares an F-body to STI or EVO you hear these fags say..."oh but it can take a turn way better than an F-body and I bought it because it takes turns so much better an it's a rally car" BLAH BLAH BLAH...now it can't even beat the cheaper Cobalt that has FWD around a track.

    Sorry but that's just fuckin hilarious imo.

    I think I might actually buy a cobalt someday, I need a new beater car. I'll use the car for what it was meant to be used for. A fuckin "get around, economy car!"

    4 cylinder's around here can't even touch my bolt-on LS1...not braggin at all, these things are a dime a dozen and it's nothing special, it's just hilarious to see how much time and money is wasted on a 4 banger just to hang with a bolt-on LS1. Then to top it off, when they do make some decent power, they got Fail Wheel Drive....
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 05-08-2009 at 07:26 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. so what does everybody think of the cobalt ss/tc
    By zero_proto in forum Western Members
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 08:11 AM
  2. cobalt vs ls1
    By MoMo The Ecotec in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 03:21 AM
  3. cobalt SS
    By sharptransam in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 11:15 PM
  4. Cobalt SS
    By 1986camarojoe in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 10:51 PM
  5. My car vs. Cobalt SS,04 Must GT
    By MR.G in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 09:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •