Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 102

cobalt ss

This is a discussion on cobalt ss within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Wesman Looks like someone struck a nerve Sounds like you've been listening to the wrong people though. ...

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Looks like someone struck a nerve

    Sounds like you've been listening to the wrong people though.

    First off, RARELY do Evos and STI's hit 12's. I don't believe its ever even been officially documented by any mag or legitimate source. So that bs is out the window. They are mid-low 13 second cars at best. The Evo X and new STi are actually slower, and run high 13's @ 99-100MPH due to less power and more weight.

    Aftermarket?? Who cares, the car just came out. At least give it a chance to get some aftermarket support.

    As for your assinine 800-1000WHP numbers, get a grip. Those are highly inflated, and are only made by all out race engines. You won't ever seen one on the street because its not reasonable and wouldn't last more than a couple miles. The STi shortblock won't even take 400WHP without coming apart, they don't even have forged internals.

    You would need to compare a 1000WHP Evo to a 2000WHP LSX in order to get an idea for the effort and funds required to build such an engine. And in the end you're still stuck with a 2.XL 4 banger thats not going to last more than a couple runs without either blowing up or needing to be rebuilt.

    Heres the bottom line: Cobalt SS Turbo was faster around VIR and Leguna Seca than the Mitsu Evo MR and beat the STI on the Nurburgring, all for 10K less while getting about 10MPG more and looking much nicer. How can you argue with that??
    You cant argue with that, the cobalt is a good little car, never said it wasnt. But FWD sucks in the end and the 2.0 eco tec engien has been out for a coupel years and i havent seen any aftermarket for it past bolt ons.

    No shit you need to upgrade the internals when making that kind of power and yes 800-1000whp isnt very streetable. But 600whp is and STIs and Evo can make 600whp and still be quite drivable.

    As for the new STI beign a high 13 second car, not really, it weighs the same as the old sti but has 10 more whp so it is faster.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    You cant argue with that, the cobalt is a good little car, never said it wasnt. But FWD sucks in the end and the 2.0 eco tec engien has been out for a coupel years and i havent seen any aftermarket for it past bolt ons.

    No shit you need to upgrade the internals when making that kind of power and yes 800-1000whp isnt very streetable. But 600whp is and STIs and Evo can make 600whp and still be quite drivable.

    As for the new STI beign a high 13 second car, not really, it weighs the same as the old sti but has 10 more whp so it is faster.
    These Eco-tec GM motors have been proven to hold over 1000whp on nothing more than internal upgrades. The GM is an extremely potent engine if you wish to do a radical turbo setup. The reason they are less popular is because Mitsubishi and Subaru have the import market for turbo 4 cylinder. Also in the FWD department the Civic Si seems to be more popular.

    GM needs to stop fooling around with FWD and make an AWD platform to show up these EVO and STIs. That with a good AWD system mated to the forged Eco-Tech 2.0-2.2L will put a hurting on these EVO and STIs.

    Unfortunetly, due to the economic situation and financial deficit GM is it, good luck with that.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    These Eco-tec GM motors have been proven to hold over 1000whp on nothing more than internal upgrades. The GM is an extremely potent engine if you wish to do a radical turbo setup. The reason they are less popular is because Mitsubishi and Subaru have the import market for turbo 4 cylinder. Also in the FWD department the Civic Si seems to be more popular.

    GM needs to stop fooling around with FWD and make an AWD platform to show up these EVO and STIs. That with a good AWD system mated to the forged Eco-Tech 2.0-2.2L will put a hurting on these EVO and STIs.

    Unfortunetly, due to the economic situation and financial deficit GM is it, good luck with that.

    They would also have to upgrade the look inside and out imo to compete with those cars. I find the cobalt interior to be more bland than my T/As

    I remember when i was working at a rental car company a few years back, the base model cobalts from 05 have damn near the same radio and temp controls as the 08 SS.

    08 SS

    http://image.motortrend.com/f/831933..._Dashboard.jpg

    08 STI

    http://images.motortrend.com/roadtes...erior_view.jpg
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-01-2009 at 10:40 AM.

  4. #24
    Too loud for Jersey JoeShmoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    43
    Posts
    63
    98 Z28 M6

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'll admit that the Cobalt's interior is kind of cheap, but those pics are from different angles. And the STI pic had the optional navigation system. Not really a fair comparison. Plus the STI is over 10,000 dollars more.

    IMO, performance is what counts.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'll admit that the Cobalt's interior is kind of cheap, but those pics are from different angles. And the STI pic had the optional navigation system. Not really a fair comparison. Plus the STI is over 10,000 dollars more.

    IMO, performance is what counts.
    But thats not what counts to many people who buy these cars. GM enthusiasts need to remember that GM needs more than our opinions to keep the company going.

    How is it not a fair comparrison its not subarus fault the cobalt SS doesnt have nav.

    You can get new 08 STIs for 28k with dealer mark off in my area.

    Here is a pretty close angle, which one looks better, IMO the STI does

    SS-25k

    http://images.forbes.com/media/lifes...t2_420x229.jpg

    WRX-25k

    http://www.newcarbuyingguide.com/ima...prezaWRX02.jpg

    Legacy GT- 28k

    http://www.speedsportlife.com/photop..._FrontSeat.jpg

    STI-37k

    http://image.automobilemag.com/f/828...erior_view.jpg

    All the subie interiors are better

    All im saying is can GM really sit there and not figure out why there cars arent selling. The impala, cobalt, g5, g6, trailblazer and more all have some of the cheapest looking interiors in todays cars. People buy new cars to drive them for a long tiem and noone wants to look at gm interiors minus caddi for more than 5 months much less 5 years.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-01-2009 at 03:18 PM.

  6. #26
    Too loud for Jersey JoeShmoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    43
    Posts
    63
    98 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    How is it not a fair comparrison its not subarus fault the cobalt SS doesnt have nav.
    Is that standard equipment, or a more expensive option?

  7. #27
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    The eco tec is a beast of a motor for what it can handle being throw at it like someone earliy stated. If they made a AWD 6 speed manual TC Colbalt SS, I would trade my maro in for it or figure out some way of owning both
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

    Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

    Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

  8. #28
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    But thats not what counts to many people who buy these cars. GM enthusiasts need to remember that GM needs more than our opinions to keep the company going.

    How is it not a fair comparrison its not subarus fault the cobalt SS doesnt have nav.

    You can get new 08 STIs for 28k with dealer mark off in my area.

    Here is a pretty close angle, which one looks better, IMO the STI does

    All the subie interiors are better

    All im saying is can GM really sit there and not figure out why there cars arent selling. The impala, cobalt, g5, g6, trailblazer and more all have some of the cheapest looking interiors in todays cars. People buy new cars to drive them for a long tiem and noone wants to look at gm interiors minus caddi for more than 5 months much less 5 years.
    I'll take the "cheaper" interior and pocket the $10,000. Both cars make the same power at the wheels, and the Cobalt looks much nicer and its faster around a road course than the new STI or Evo X, which have gained a lot of weight with their redesigns.

    Here's the numbers:

    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...test_data.html

    13.8 @ 99 and 13.4 @ 100 for $40,000?? They can keep it, Cobalt is faster than both (104MPH trap) and outhandles them as well. And as for getting an '08 for $28K when they are going for a base price of $35,600 - I don't believe it.

  9. #29
    Junior Member Electric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    34
    Posts
    37

    Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    For 1 it wont beat them in a straight line, even the new turbo SS is a 13.8-14.2 car and the EVO X and STI have both hit 12s bone stock. And both the STI and EVO have more aftermarket. People have made 800whp with the boxer engine and 1000whp with evo and DSM engine
    EVOs and STi's are not 12 second stock cars. Can one in a couple thousand hit a 12.9. Maybe. But basically not. I had an EVO for 3 years, many friends had them, and STis. I also owned a DSM for 3 years. I know boatloads of info about them, racing them and modifying them.

    My point was the new Cobalt SS for close to $10,000 less, can HANG pretty darn well with a new EVO or STi. The new EVO's are slower than the 05-06 EVOs in a straight line. They trapping pretty low and Im sure from a roll on a Cobalt SS could give them a hard time. Thats all I was saying, lets not get started on EVO vs Cobalt, I was just making a point that for the PRICE, the Cobalt SS is a great buy.
    2008 Lexus IS250 AWD (sold)
    2005 EVO8 - 460awhp (sold)
    1994 Nissan Sentra XE (beater)
    2002 Electron Blue Corvette Z06
    Performance |Halltech Venom, 3:73s, LS7 Clutch
    Exterior |Chrome wheels, ECC Clear corners, Lowered, Tint

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I'll take the "cheaper" interior and pocket the $10,000. Both cars make the same power at the wheels, and the Cobalt looks much nicer and its faster around a road course than the new STI or Evo X, which have gained a lot of weight with their redesigns.

    Here's the numbers:

    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...test_data.html

    13.8 @ 99 and 13.4 @ 100 for $40,000?? They can keep it, Cobalt is faster than both (104MPH trap) and outhandles them as well. And as for getting an '08 for $28K when they are going for a base price of $35,600 - I don't believe it.
    You also comparing the wrong car, I know personal opinion is what counts on if a car is or is not good looking but if you think the cobalt is a good looking car inside or out your crazy imo. Its horribly ugly and super cheap looking.

    cobalt SS-25k- 13.8

    WRX-25k- 13.5

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
    Is that standard equipment, or a more expensive option?
    Its an option, just like LSD diff is an option for the SS which is sad that a performance car doesnt have lsd as standard equipment, the STI, wrx and legacy gt all have 2 lsd diffs as standard equipment.

  12. #32
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    I personally like the new cobalt ss, but I have to admit the new WRX commercial with Travis Pastrana is badass.


  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    I personally like the new cobalt ss, but I have to admit the new WRX commercial with Travis Pastrana is badass.

    Ive driven it, the car is pretty bad ass. People have gotten low 13s out of them already. Subaru is bumping the power in 2010 or 2011 of the STI because the new WRX is just as fast in the 1/4mile.

    wrx-270hp, 3150lbs, 5 speed which means it finishes the 1/4mile in 4th
    STI- 300hp, 3375lbs, 6 speed which menas it finishes in 5th

    The 2010 or 2011 STI is supposed to have anywhere from 340-380crank hp.
    2010 legacy gt also got a bump in power to 270 and now comes standard with the 6 speed.

    Whenever i get out of my legacy gt and into my friends SS it makes me enjoy my interior soo much more. The SS material, the slightly larger and different sized gaps in the dash and tin can sounds of the closing door really make me dislike the cobalt. IMO my 2000 Trans Ams interior is better than the cobalts
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-04-2009 at 08:37 AM.

  14. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Posts
    98

    Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

    I need to see one of these stock 12 second STi's....if they're so prevalent, how come I can't seem to find a video of one anywhere?....I'm sure they're out there, but man, where are they?

    my STi ran 13.2 stock, but that was with a 1.65 60ft....it would be AWFUL hard to pick up an extra 3 tenths from 10whp in the new ones IMHO...

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    I need to see one of these stock 12 second STi's....if they're so prevalent, how come I can't seem to find a video of one anywhere?....I'm sure they're out there, but man, where are they?

    my STi ran 13.2 stock, but that was with a 1.65 60ft....it would be AWFUL hard to pick up an extra 3 tenths from 10whp in the new ones IMHO...
    I was incorrect, i thought my friend ran a 12.8 stock but i found out he had a tune

  16. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Posts
    98

    Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I was incorrect, i thought my friend ran a 12.8 stock but i found out he had a tune
    a tune with a boost increase....we're talking needing about 20-30whp more man and GREAT conditions to hit that.

    I'll keep looking for vids of one...if they're as prevalent as you say I should find one.

  17. #37
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    You also comparing the wrong car, I know personal opinion is what counts on if a car is or is not good looking but if you think the cobalt is a good looking car inside or out your crazy imo. Its horribly ugly and super cheap looking.

    cobalt SS-25k- 13.8

    WRX-25k- 13.5

    How is this "horribly ugly"??



    That looks 10x better than the new WRX, which looks like someone smashed together a Suzuki Aerio with a Forenza grille and stick a Subaru badge on it.

    And as for quality?? I don't own either, but my friend has an STi and my other friend used to have a Cobalt SS Supercharged. The interior quality was about the same, as was the rest of the car. Both cars sounded the same when you shut the doors, nice thunk. I don't know where you're getting these crazy ideas, I think you're mistaking a Cavalier for a Cobalt.

  18. #38
    Too loud for Jersey JoeShmoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    43
    Posts
    63
    98 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    cobalt SS-25k- 13.8

    WRX-25k- 13.5
    I highly doubt they're the same price with the same options. For one, the Cobalt is more like $24K as tested.

  19. #39
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
    I highly doubt they're the same price with the same options. For one, the Cobalt is more like $24K as tested.
    They're not. He's just trying to tilt the tables in favor of the Subaru, but any way you look at it the Cobalt SS is the better deal. It whoops the STI in 1/4 mile trap speed as well as on a road course, never mind the regular WRX.

  20. #40
    OOHHH YEAH! jray0305usa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    toledo ohio
    Age
    31
    Posts
    253

    black
    99 z28 a4

    ... chevy owns the fwd class in nopi for a reason...( or at least did for a couple years)lol at an event one year a friend got ahold of a book for the eco tec with the parts list to make up to like 1600 hp... 4cyl funny car shit...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. so what does everybody think of the cobalt ss/tc
    By zero_proto in forum Western Members
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 08:11 AM
  2. cobalt vs ls1
    By MoMo The Ecotec in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 03:21 AM
  3. cobalt SS
    By sharptransam in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 11:15 PM
  4. Cobalt SS
    By 1986camarojoe in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 10:51 PM
  5. My car vs. Cobalt SS,04 Must GT
    By MR.G in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 09:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •