Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

a challenger

This is a discussion on a challenger within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Nice kill it takes a lot for a FIVE OOOH to beat a T/A was it fox body or 94/95?...

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Nice kill it takes a lot for a FIVE OOOH to beat a T/A was it fox body or 94/95?

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

sorry, that wasn't me in the video. It was just an example of a loud 5.0 with a turbo.
    Apparently if you have a turbo on your car its supposed to be quiet or something..?

I wish I would have video taped my race, but unfortunately I didn't have a video cam on me.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Are you mad? Calm down. I know that nobody likes having BS called on them, and nobody likes to be wrong. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so vigorous in my attempt to refute your statements.

Please understand my confusion. These are my assumptions:
    1. You have a stockish LS1. Your mods are LTs, Air lid, and an aftermarket MAF meter. So in all likelihood you're putting down somewhere in the neighborhood of 320-340 rwhp. Your car is likely capable of trapping between 108-112 mph. My estimate covers the range that your car should fall within.
    2. Your car weighs somewhere around 3300-3400 lbs stock.
    3. You raced a turbo charged 5.0. For comparisons sake, my stock cammed, very heavy (3300 lbs which is heavy for a fox-body) '91 5.0 with incon twin turbos put down a very unimpressive 420 rwhp at moderate boost for a street car (9.5 psi). It always trapped in the 116-118 mph range, and trapped a best of almost 121mph. My example is probably the weakest example of a turbo 5.0 you're likely to ever find on the street.

As you can see, my old setup is immensely stronger than your car. That is not a flame, because your LS1 would definitely be quicker than my LS1 Corvette. It's just an observation that you'd need another 60-70 rwhp before your peak HP figures would be comparable to the example I provided. On top of that fact, your power band would still be significantly weaker - my setup made 490 lb-ft of TQ.

Do you understand now why I find it hard to believe that you outran a turbo 5.0?

What is a lot more likely? To me, this:
    1. centrifugal superchargers sound very similar to turbos. In fact, their compressor wheels are almost identical in design.
    2. Centrifugal superchargers commonly use the same type of blow-off valves turbocharged kits use.
    3. A supercharged mustang would have the same gauges as a turbo car (boost, fuel pressure, etc...)
    4. Supercharged setups do not have the inherent restriction in the exhaust that turbo setups do. Therefore, they wouldn't dampen the loudness of the engine. Aggressive lopey cams are the right idea in a supercharged setup, but the wrong idea in a turbocharged setup. These facts make a centrifugal supercharger setup much more fitting of your "loud as hell" comment.
    5. Due to the cost involved - turbocharging is very much more expensive than supercharging - there are a lot of people on the road who have superchargers but are otherwise almost stock (stock heads, stock cam). Whereas, I have never seen a turbocharged mustang 5.0 that did not already have heads and an intake at minimum (like my old setup). A supercharged mustang running 8 psi, but running with stock heads and a stock cam might only be pushing 300-330 rwhp. This is a car that you have a good shot at outrunning.

LOL at the video. Congratulations for picking one of the sweetest street mustangs in the country, as an example of a "loud turbo mustang!" You just showed me a car that I'm very familiar with. The car owned by the owner/administrator of the largest turbomustang website on the internet. They belong to trentk and tommy2speed on turbomustangs.com, and that video was a long time ago. BTW, watch your video again. Notice how the sound of the turbo is actually louder than the exhaust from the cars? Let me clarify my statement: A turbo car is very docile and quiet compared to any similarly powered non-turbo car. In fact, the turbos themselves are the loudest part of the car. You hear the whistle in the videos, for example, but the exhaust is not very loud. And no videos don't lie, but they don't give you any real perception of the decible level.... turn your speakers down!

FYI, trent's car made 725rwhp/775 rwtq. If that's what the car you beat sounded like, I'm sure it was only running on 4 cylinders! lol... I'm just teasin' Plus, you hear two turbos in the video, one in the car that the camera's in. The other in the car it's recording.

About the sound: I'm sure you could show me a 2000+ rwhp turbo mustang that would be very loud. I guess I was incorrect when I gave you the impression that turbo cars can't be loud as hell, but that wasn't the point I was making... You were racing a 300rwhp turbo 5.0 apparently, which makes me snicker as I type something so ridiculous. Please don't wear your feelings on your sleeves. I am not trying to down you. I just don't think you've been properly introduced to a real turbo mustang.... you'll know when you are.

It's all good, brother. I'm not trying to bust your balls. You probably did run into an exceptionally slow centri-charged 5.0, and it's even possible that you ran into the slowest turbocharged V8 mustang on the planet. Good race, and good win. In that case, I would just like to point out the obvious fact that it is very rare for a bolt-on LS1 to win a legitimate race against a turbocharged fox.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 07-02-2008 at 05:48 AM.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

LOL. There are folks that know what they are talking about, and then their are posers who only think they do.

Nice post, Chris.

Black
    03 Cobra

Good kill, before I even finished reading I already knew there was going to be traction issues, I remember my 85 hatchback I had kind of a lot of stuff done to it! had like $3-4K into it and it ran pretty damn good, the thing with 50s that I noticed is that it's rare when you get a nice taken care of 50, I drove a lot of them and like 3 or 4 out of 10 would have a nice strong stock engine! my car ran pretty DAMN GOOD for a stock when I first had it! I took out a few LS1s with just like Exhaust and CAI, I don't know if they had more done to em may be but I would get them by enough to say I beat him well.

If a Foxbody mustang with that much power, good meats, and a good (driver For get about it) Im not saying I'm a very good driver, but since I got my 85 5.0 (which was my first car) I learned a lot and from watching my cousins and friends race so much I kinda already knew what to do. I rate my self as a good driver for a Roockie, I still consider my self a semi roockie driver I have been driving mustangs my whole driving career and compared to people that have been racing for 10,15,30 years even more! I consider my self a roockie, but not bad at it, since I started to now which have been like 5 years of driving muscle cars.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

Yea I understand exactly what your saying, and I understand that at the track I most likely would have had my ass handed to me.. But my eyes and ears are good, and I heard the blowoff, and I saw the guy 1-2 cars behind me. I had a friend with me in the car also, and he too said that the guy was about 2 cars behind my bumper.
    If I could I would have pulled over to ask the guy a little more about his car, but I had to get over to turn off at the mall, I waved him to see if he would come over but he just hed a thumb up and drove off.
    Last edited by cant.b.caught.z28; 07-02-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Black
    03 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by cant.b.caught.z28 View Post
    Yea I understand exactly what your saying, and I understand that at the track I most likely would have had my ass handed to me.. But my eyes and ears are good, and I heard the blowoff, and I saw the guy 1-2 cars behind me. I had a friend with me in the car also, and he too said that the guy was about 2 cars behind my bumper.
    If I could I would have pulled over to ask the guy a little more about his car, but I had to get over to turn off at the mall, I waved him to see if he would come over but he just hed a thumb up and drove off.
    good kill anyways

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

thanks man

Black
    Camaro A4

this story reminds me of the guy when i lived in MI. who had the WS6. he pulls up the the local mustang club (all parked on street) and says "i told you to leave them mustangs alone man there slow". Apparently he'd raced a member who had a three month old all stock 2001 GT and murder'd him. So he proceed's to get cocky and say he could beat any one of the stangs there (he didn't know my buddy eric's 87 had a procharger pushing 14lbs. with all the bolt-ons. needless to say by the time the bird got to the finish line we had already turned back around and were heading back to the starting point. i only rode with cuz the ws6 had a passenger also. was pretty damn funny though!

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

I sprayed down a supercharged 5.0 on the highway in my old v6 firebird. He probably wasn't at full boost and I did have the 100 pill in (which was never tested at the strip) but I can attest to them being slower than the turbo foxbodies i've seen, of which there was only one and that car was in the 9's - also, louder than hell lol. They're fun cars and I enjoy whippin up on the ones I can take out in my LS1 - good run, good kill, bro.

RED
    mustang

unported gt40 heads and a e cam gt40 upper n lower are around 270-280 at fly..yes you will win...horse power book seres hows this set up.. any1 with real exp in fords building motors will say for the size 5.0 can get 300 rwhp easy..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information