can i take this gt

some kid wants to race me in his stang. I THINK its an 02 gt def not an 05+ cause hes still got the old body. Anyway hes got full exhaust including headers, intake gears and a few other bolt ons along with a supercharger. I have a 99 trans am 6spd with: exhaust, lid, tb, intake, gears, pulley, and a tune. both cars are stick. What are my chances? or should i just lay off?

NBM
    '00 Z28

Actually, your chances aren't too bad. Car for car, the Stang should whoop your T/A. However, my buddy has a stang set up pretty much the same way and he can't seem to beat me. I think it has to do with the driver.

However, I've driven his car and can say that even with the Nitto's on it, it just doesn't seem to hook all that well.

Race him. Get a good launch and shift at 5900-6000 RPMs and you'll do fine. You'll notice the small bit of ground you get out of each gear that the stang will lose because of the shorter gears.

Good luck!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i think it would be close but you should win. can he drive???can you drive???no offense, just wondering

Blue
    04 Mach 1

how many #s

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60 View Post
    Actually, your chances aren't too bad. Car for car, the Stang should whoop your T/A. However, my buddy has a stang set up pretty much the same way and he can't seem to beat me. I think it has to do with the driver.

However, I've driven his car and can say that even with the Nitto's on it, it just doesn't seem to hook all that well.

Race him. Get a good launch and shift at 5900-6000 RPMs and you'll do fine. You'll notice the small bit of ground you get out of each gear that the stang will lose because of the shorter gears.

Good luck!
    car for car u mean stock for stock, ummmm no TA > Stang...
    if u mean with the above mods yeah a s/c is a damn good mod so TA with the few bolts on may have a good challenge. let us know how it turned out mate!

NBM
    '00 Z28

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    car for car u mean stock for stock, ummmm no TA > Stang...
    if u mean with the above mods yeah a s/c is a damn good mod so TA with the few bolts on may have a good challenge. let us know how it turned out mate!
    No, I meant what I said: Car for car. With pretty much the same mods on my buddies '01 GT he's putting down 359 hp/ 360 tq to the wheels. Car against car, the stang whould whoop me seeing as I only have free mods and am probably putting down between 300-320 hp max at the rear wheels. However, you add in the driver factor and I win every time against him.

In the future if you don't understand what I'm saying, please ask for clearification instead of trying to tell me what I meant.

No, I meant what I said: Car for car. With pretty much the same mods on my buddies '01 GT he's putting down 359 hp/ 360 tq to the wheels. Car against car, the stang whould whoop me seeing as I only have free mods and am probably putting down between 300-320 hp max at the rear wheels. However, you add in the driver factor and I win every time against him.

In the future if you don't understand what I'm saying, please ask for clearification instead of trying to tell me what I meant.
    car vs car modded or stock? what was ur point since it is ambiguous.
    I see u have a 2000 Z28 M6, so that stock vs '01GT stock u win any day even if u were a bad driver... no when u get into mods yeah depending on how heavly the GT is modded sure it can take u, no news there.

I understood the point of the question.

Why be touchy?
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I smoked, and I mean SMOKED, an 06 Saleen with a supercharger with just gears, bolt-ons, and cam. Run him, I think you have a chance, a good chance. Put a cam in there dammit!

That is if you run him to about 120 or 130 mph. He will prolly take you out of the hole though.

How much boost is he running? It is a two valve. If it was a 4V, then you would prolly get your ass handed.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

NBM
    '00 Z28

Wow, I really didn't think that I would have to get so detailed with my reply. Okay, I was saying, with the mods that the Mustang has, it should be faster than my pretty much stock Camaro. So, if you were to take the driver out of the equation, the Mustang would beat my Camaro. That is what was meant by the "car for car" statements.

Is this clear to you now, or do I need to break out the crayons and draw you a picture?

Wow, I really didn't think that I would have to get so detailed with my reply. Okay, I was saying, with the mods that the Mustang has, it should be faster than my pretty much stock Camaro. So, if you were to take the driver out of the equation, the Mustang would beat my Camaro. That is what was meant by the "car for car" statements.

Is this clear to you now, or do I need to break out the crayons and draw you a picture?
    I thought it was clear the first time. But for the time being can you tell me why a V8 makes more power than a V6 without power adders, Captain Obvious?

Either way, who cares? I hate threads like this. The branch of this forum is called "Kill" Stories. Either Kill or be Killed. Hypothetical races always suck. They do! No one ever wins!

heheh, no keep the crayons, thanks

2002 TA

If the guy can hook and drive you're done for. You're only chance is him spinning or being a sh*tty driver.

2002 TA

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    car vs car modded or stock? what was ur point since it is ambiguous.
    I see u have a 2000 Z28 M6, so that stock vs '01GT stock u win any day even if u were a bad driver... no when u get into mods yeah depending on how heavly the GT is modded sure it can take u, no news there.
    UHHHHH When did stock but you first? OBVIOUSLY we know what they would do STOCK... this Gt ISN'T stock, so what's your point again?

Car for car doesn't mean stock to stock? It means the car with it's mods and his car with his mods?

Because the WHOLE point of the thread was his Gt with his mods against my TA with my mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Pythias View Post
    UHHHHH When did stock but you first? OBVIOUSLY we know what they would do STOCK... this Gt ISN'T stock, so what's your point again?

Car for car doesn't mean stock to stock? It means the car with it's mods and his car with his mods?

Because the WHOLE point of the thread was his Gt with his mods against my TA with my mods?
    it was ambiguos.. that's all, let's put all the criterias down so there's no misunderstanding. there's some other thread not long ago when this kid kept making a point of a gt beating an ls1, and he meant stock.. smelled like newbbie but unless I put the word stock he did not realize what he was saying.. so better put in in writing than assume... I wouldn't have to ask if who ever was saying car vs car did not clarify.. tsk tsk,..

Thread Information