Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Camaro VS Sti

This is a discussion on Camaro VS Sti within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Yeah, that makes sense..........

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

Yeah, that makes sense.......

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    I invite any LS1 in my area with similar power to me to try and get the jump on me from a 3 beep roll-on. Id love to see it.
    from a roll?..i know ur evo is quick dude...but theres some monters on this site
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    from a roll?..i know ur evo is quick dude...but theres some monters on this site
    I said LS1 with SIMILAR POWER! Read it completely! I think I know a 600whp 700tq car is gonn get me off the get-go lol

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

So youre challenging an ls1 with as many rwhp as you have awhp to a roll race. I guess I held too high of an opinion of you.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegrizzle View Post
    So youre challenging an ls1 with as many rwhp as you have awhp to a roll race. I guess I held too high of an opinion of you.

Huh? Listen to what you just said. Same WHP is same WHP. AWD's lose power when it comes to CRANK HP. Example.

300HP RWD car
    300HP AWD car

The RWD car will put down around 250-260whp
    The AWD car will put down around 230-240whp

Why? Becuase it has more drivetrain loss. If both cars are the same WHP, the AWD will have more crank HP but that doesnt really matter. If you think a heavier, lower revving, car with the same HP is going to beat me from - you are crazy.

Generally, what makes AWD cars slower from a roll is their drivetrain loss. That is not existant when you have 2 cars making the same WHP
    Last edited by EE1983; 12-09-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Also, I challenged to prove the point ABOUT GETTING A JUMP, I didnt actually say anything about beating one from a roll, even though Im sure I could.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    I said LS1 with SIMILAR POWER! Read it completely! I think I know a 600whp 700tq car is gonn get me off the get-go lol
    my bad
    Huh? Listen to what you just said. Same WHP is same WHP. AWD's lose power when it comes to CRANK HP. Example.

300HP RWD car
    300HP AWD car

The RWD car will put down around 250-260whp
    The AWD car will put down around 230-240whp

Why? Becuase it has more drivetrain loss. If both cars are the same WHP, the AWD will have more crank HP but that doesnt really matter. If you think a heavier, lower revving, car with the same HP is going to beat me from - you are crazy.

Generally, what makes AWD cars slower from a roll is their drivetrain loss. That is not existant when you have 2 cars making the same WHP
    i understand where ur comin from...but rwd will always have an advantage over awd...even if cars were same weight and power...its easier to push than it is to pull

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    my bad

i understand where ur comin from...but rwd will always have an advantage over awd...even if cars were same weight and power...its easier to push than it is to pull
    Thats not proper reasoning. If that was true, AWD would have the advantage because its doing both pulling and pushing. The big thing about AWD and why its usually lackluster from a roll-on is because of drivetrain loss of power to the wheels. Dyno's give WHP measures so that drivetrain loss is taken into effect. Other things come into play from a roll too like gearing and weight of course but nonetheless, if 2 cars are same whp, weight and such, no matter which is AWD or RWD, its going to be a VERY close race.

Spice Red
    06 GTO A4

I've owned an 05 GTO a 06 GTO, 99Z28 and 04 STi.

Well driven STi's can suprise people. They also love cold air and run significantly faster. I could easily see a stock STi giving an SS a good race up to 100mph or so.
    But an 02 SS should have a nice advantage above 100mph or so.

About the Turbo lag. The STi has very little turbo lag. It's very easy to run from a roll with pretty much no lag at all. The EVOs and older model WRXs are known for lag and very sluggish performance at lower rpms. But the STi has very little lag and good power even at lower rpms. I believe it's due to the larger 2.5 motor and the variable valve timing. It feels similar to a NA motor (very smooth power delivery).

But saying that, an 02 SS shouldn't have to much trouble with a "STOCK" STi above 100mph. My bone stock STi felt rather sluggish at high speeds (100+).
    But that all changed with a few basic mods
    My STi with intake, catless downpipe, and engine management beat a buddies LS1 z28 in back to back races from 60-110mph (by a nice gap). I also had no trouble beating a Mach 1 on a daily basis (from any roll speed). So basic mods make a pretty big difference on an STi.

The next time you talk to the STi owner,ask him to pop the guys hood to see if he's running a aftermarket downpipe. The stock downpipe is covered with heat shields and it's obvious it's factory. My guess is you will see an aftermarket downpipe. He may also be running some sort of engine management (Utec) to adjust boost, etc. If he is truely stock, what out when he gets a few basic mods.

black
    02 z28

this thread is priceless....
    all the people with experience with stis and evos are saying "no" lag.....politely.
    and the others are calling them liars....rudely.
    even the guy who made the thread said," he got half a length...".

once more....rev the motor...drop the clutch....is that boost i feel ????????
    02 z28 auto...13.1s@109mph on stock tires with 80+ temp....lid,filter,corsa cat back,hpp3.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by joezee View Post
    wesman , ill try to be civil.......you obviously never drove a turbo car...nor raced an sti, evo or even an srt...clutch and right foot keep turbo spinning...boost IS instant....EVERY sti and srt i've raced, on the street AND at the track, jumped out almost a car ...even at highway speeds....my friends 10 year old stock 210hp eclipse jumps half a car at highway speeds ...a guy who works for me has few year old mazda speed 6, bone stock, even he can hang for a little while....MY point is , chill out...stis run mid 13s @ 100-105 in ALL tests i've read,...like it or not....metsatvz400 beat the sti even after the sti got the jump. sounds right to me........DONT GET PERSONAL AGAIN ....please check your facts about the weights,..from MORE than one source....every hundred pounds is worth 10 hp.....lets see, my 02 z28 ran 13.5s @ 104-5 bone stock.....cant we all get along....nah no fun that way.
    I was perfectly civil and definitely didn't "get personal". I didn't call you any names. I merely called you out on something that you obviously don't have a clue about, deal with it.

I don't know where you get your numbers from, but they are way off. STI's don't run 13.0 @ 105 bone stock. Best I've ever seen or read is 13.2 @ 102, and thats with a 6K clutch drop and a professional driver.

We're talking about a difference of 60-70WHP here between a stock STI and a stock M6 LS1. You must think that huge difference in power just vanishes into think air in the presence of the almighty riced out subaru. Get real, STI's don't hang with stock LS1's from anything other than a dig, and thats only because of the AWD launch.

If you can honestly say that 100lbs = 10HP, then you are full of it, because there is no information or facts to back that up. Its just a generalization that someone made up because they thought it seemed accurate.

Stop trying to rep the STI and Evo and make them out to be more than they really are. They are nothing more than turbo 4 cylinder econo cars with AWD, which allows them to come off the line quickly. They aren't even close to being as fast, acceleration wise, as their ET numbers and 0-60 times would suggest.

Just stop trying, its over.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

dude, i was actually agreeing with you. work on your reading comprehension.
    I said "there is NO such thing as NO turbo lag. IE you cannot got instantly from 5psi-20psi. Yes, there are quick spoolin turbos but even if it takes .25 of a second thats still lag. even if it takes .0001 of a second (which it doesn't) that is not instant. There is NO such thing as instant boost.
    My bad, Sorry. I read it as there is "no such thing as turbo lag".

You are right, there is always a delay, no matter how small it may be reduced to, between when you hit the throttle and when the turbo actually starts boosting.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

a guy i work with has a srt stage 2 plus a few mods and from 40 in my m6 he jumped me a car then i pulled him in 4th...he didnt lag

Wesman, you need to look at the spec sheet of an STI/EVO.

There is some serious technology and racing/rally history behind these cars and they are much more than a civic with a turbo kit. No one is trying to rep or prop up the STi/EVO, but owners of these cars are only correcting some misconceptions regarding them. No doubt, they have their weaknesses but to marginalize them is unfair. They ARE every bit as fast as the numbers would suggest, especially with basic modifications.

Just because you haven't seen or read the "Real" performance figures for the STI/EVO does not mean they don't exist.

I'm a little let down because the last time I posted some figures, you dismissed Motor Trends test of 13.0 at 103.5mph and 0-60 in 4.5 secs. Never mind that Road and Track got a 13.3 at 103. Looks them up. Go to Iwsti.com and search for the best times on a stock car and you WILL find people who got very high 12s at 103+ with posted timeslips. Seems fairly quick to me. Couple that with good handling and grip and you have a great little performance car.

Quote from Car and Driver: "Highs: Right-now throttle response, fat power band, ultra-positive shift engagements"
    Seems to verify exactly what other owner's are saying.
    95 Supra TT 420rwhp
    05 STI Stage2

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj View Post
    Wesman, you need to look at the spec sheet of an STI/EVO.

There is some serious technology and racing/rally history behind these cars and they are much more than a civic with a turbo kit. No one is trying to rep or prop up the STi/EVO, but owners of these cars are only correcting some misconceptions regarding them. No doubt, they have their weaknesses but to marginalize them is unfair. They ARE every bit as fast as the numbers would suggest, especially with basic modifications.

Just because you haven't seen or read performance figures for the STI/EVO does not mean they don't exist.

I'm a little let down because the last time I posted some figures, you dismissed Motor Trends test of 13.0 at 103.5mph and 0-60 in 4.5 secs. Never mind that Road and Track got a 13.3 at 103. Looks them uo. Go to Iwsti.com and search for the best times on a stock car and you WILL find people who got very high 12s at 103+ with posted timeslips. Seems fairly quick to me.

Quote from Car and Driver: "Highs: Right-now throttle response, fat power band, ultra-positive shift engagements"

Seems to verify exactly what other owner's are saying.
    Dont even bother trying to talk sense into him. He wont accept it. In his world all EVOs and STis go 100mph in the 1/4. Even though they dont... they do.. because thats what he says.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

yeah wesman is the head kkk clan member AGAINST all forign cars....he makes very few valid points and just spews racial car slurrs...lol

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    yeah wesman is the head kkk clan member AGAINST all forign cars....he makes very few valid points and just spews racial car slurrs...lol

Weird thing just happened. I was thinking of an analogy for Wesman and imports and the first thing that came to mind was him being the leader of the KKK and us explaining to him that even non-caucasians can be nice people too

pewter

LMAO

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    So not liking Japanese cars makes me a Klan member...way to be an idiot, you can't be racist against inanimate objects

pewter

not what i said...its the way u argue...u argue like a racist....u make no sense most of the time and rather concentrate on slamming ppl.....your extremely ignorant

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information