Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Camaro VS Sti

This is a discussion on Camaro VS Sti within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by joezee wesman , ill try to be civil.......you obviously never drove a turbo car...nor raced an sti, ...

Quote Originally Posted by joezee View Post
    wesman , ill try to be civil.......you obviously never drove a turbo car...nor raced an sti, evo or even an srt...clutch and right foot keep turbo spinning...boost IS instant....EVERY sti and srt i've raced, on the street AND at the track, jumped out almost a car ...even at highway speeds....my friends 10 year old stock 210hp eclipse jumps half a car at highway speeds ...a guy who works for me has few year old mazda speed 6, bone stock, even he can hang for a little while....MY point is , chill out...stis run mid 13s @ 100-105 in ALL tests i've read,...like it or not....metsatvz400 beat the sti even after the sti got the jump. sounds right to me........DONT GET PERSONAL AGAIN ....please check your facts about the weights,..from MORE than one source....every hundred pounds is worth 10 hp.....lets see, my 02 z28 ran 13.5s @ 104-5 bone stock.....cant we all get along....nah no fun that way.
    He is just in some sort of denial about that sort of stuff. No sense in trying to convince him something he doesnt want to know. Either way, it is true, turbo lag is almost non-existant on the stock turbos on both STi and EVO. My turbo spools so fast sometimes I forget I have a turbo.... well not really

2000pontiac6
    EE1983 do you have any idea what it would take to beat a WRX in my v6? do you know what they run at the tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by 2000pontiac6 View Post
    EE1983 do you have any idea what it would take to beat a WRX in my v6? do you know what they run at the tracks?
    Is your V6 stock? Also, are you talking dig race or from a roll. Your obvious advantage is from a roll. They run low 14s in the mid 90mph region, however the newer ones are faster than older ones, so it really comes down to the year and the mods. They can be quick with most bolt-ons. To really make them go anywhere you have to do a turbo upgrade and even then, they arent that fast unless its from a dig.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

I love turbos

I used to have a turbo lebaron. I added intercooler, boost controller, blow off valve, custom exhaust, 5spd and different computer... anyway... If you kept it around 3.5 to 4k rpm then hammered it, there was NO turbo lag. I repeat no turbo lag. At that rpm it's already spooled up and actually you could hear it blowing out the blow off valve b/c the turbo was making boost and the throttle was relatively closed. So as soon as the throttle opened you could see the boost go up to 14 psi as quick as that little autometer needle could move. Anyway, our ls1's are great and I'm glad I upgraded, but wish I had kept my old car too... I miss my turbo

I raced an SS camaro with it one time... through a twisty road that I knew very well.. and it was close but on the straights he would close the gap back up but in the hills and turns I would pull away again... but really thats cause I hauled ass through those curves everyday so I had that on my side

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

hey that true cause killed 2 sti off the line bone stock left him by 5 cars in my Ls1 6spd camaro

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Is your V6 stock? Also, are you talking dig race or from a roll. Your obvious advantage is from a roll. They run low 14s in the mid 90mph region, however the newer ones are faster than older ones, so it really comes down to the year and the mods. They can be quick with most bolt-ons. To really make them go anywhere you have to do a turbo upgrade and even then, they arent that fast unless its from a dig.
    Stock 2005 wrx. My v6 has lid, filter, and full exhaust including headers

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Thats not how it should have happened. Either there is something seriously wrong with your car, or he was heavily modded.

First off, he shouldn't have got the jump. STI's have this thing called turbo lag, and they suck on the highway in general, its a 4 cylinder. So either you were in the wrong gear, or you have an auto.

Second, you should have kicked his ass, provided he was telling the truth. STI's put down 235-245WHP stock, LS1's put down 275WHP-290WHP (auto) or 290-310WHP (manual). So either was you would have destroyed him if he was stock.

He probably had mods and increased boost and just claimed he was stock so he wouldn't be embarassed that he lost to a stock Camaro, ricers are retarded.
    don't forget that sti is lighter weight but not light enough... I had the same race and put a car length by 100 the by 130ish he was 2-3 car behind, i aborted then...

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

There Is Not Such Thing As No Turbo Lag! Goddamn It!
    If You Are Driving A N/a Car Properly You Should Get The Jump, if you go from 3k in second and he goes from 5 k in second then obvously he will get the hit. There is turbo lag even in the T-25 I cannot believe this is even a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegrizzle View Post
    If You Are Driving A N/a Car Properly You Should Get The Jump, if you go from 3k in second and he goes from 5 k in second then obvously he will get the hit. There is turbo lag even in the T-25 I cannot believe this is even a debate.

Theres definitely turbolag in existence of course, however, when racing, if youre at the proper RPM and you dont have a big snail, response should be instantaneous on the smaller turbos. Sure at lower rpm youll have some lag but who races at low RPM?

black
    02 z28

wow ..............shout your inexperience, it's fun.
    02 z28 auto...13.1s@109mph on stock tires with 80+ temp....lid,filter,corsa cat back,hpp3.

The VF39 stock turbo on the STI is a small, quick spooling, low-mid-range trurbo. Mainly designed for quick starts and exiting hard out of turns. This turbo does NOT have much lag at all, you just squeeze on the gas and go.
    Racing at 60mph in 4th gear on the freeway delivers almost instantaneous thrust up until 120 where it starts to fall off. Yes, it's not a top end turbo. They have decent enough pull even at freeway speeds, but their major strength comes at lower speeds and from a stop. Automatics have more drivetrain loss and weigh more which should be taken into consideration.

Also 200 lbs is a big enough difference to make a difference in this race. An 05 STi weighs about 3300, the 04s weighed less and the 06s a little more. Your average SS will be at around 3500. It was close, but the SS still won which sounds right to me.
    Last edited by garrettjj; 12-08-2006 at 06:12 PM.
    95 Supra TT 420rwhp
    05 STI Stage2

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj View Post
    The VF39 stock turbo on the STI is a small, quick spooling, low-mid-range trurbo. Mainly designed for quick starts and exiting hard out of turns. This turbo does NOT have much lag at all, you just squeeze on the gas and go.
    Racing at 60mph in 4th gear on the freeway delivers almost instantaneous thrust up until 120 where it starts to fall off. Yes, it's not a top end turbo. They have decent enough pull even at freeway speeds, but their major strength comes at lower speeds and from a stop. Automatics have more drivetrain loss and weigh more which should be taken into consideration.

Also 200 lbs is a big enough difference to make a difference in this race. An 05 STi weighs about 3300, the 04s weighed less and the 06s a little more. Your average SS will be at around 3500. It was close, but the SS still won which sounds right to me.

Moral of the story??

Buy a V8 and never deal with "turbo lag", dead spots, or obnoxious angry bee sounds gain

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The above post is completely off the wall and cannot be serious.

No such thing as turbo lag...yea, and what planet are you from again??

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    The above post is completely off the wall and cannot be serious.

No such thing as turbo lag...yea, and what planet are you from again??
    dude, i was actually agreeing with you. work on your reading comprehension.
    I said "there is NO such thing as NO turbo lag. IE you cannot got instantly from 5psi-20psi. Yes, there are quick spoolin turbos but even if it takes .25 of a second thats still lag. even if it takes .0001 of a second (which it doesn't) that is not instant. There is NO such thing as instant boost.

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

Quote Originally Posted by joezee View Post
    wow ..............shout your inexperience, it's fun.
    say's the guy with the 13 second ls1......

And btw im near Tarpon Springs so if you want to see how inexperienced of a driver i am bring it.

The fact of the matter is, ive built several tubo'd cars. THERE IS ALWAYS SOME AMOUNT OF LAG.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

This is pretty good. There IS turbo lag. However, if at the right RPM range, there would be less of it. Evo's, STi's, and SRT4's are no joke. They are lighter than F-Bodies and can make the same amount of power with a few bolt-ons. Be ready for a race with them if you just have a few bolt-ons yourself.

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

Bahahaha Terry Schiavo! I love it!
    Some would say its messed up, but we used to say "for terry schiavo" before taking shots with my college buddies.

I totally agreee with your point tho, and its nice to see that some people actually read before trying to make a senseless arguement.

dude, i was actually agreeing with you. work on your reading comprehension.
    I said "there is NO such thing as NO turbo lag. IE you cannot got instantly from 5psi-20psi. Yes, there are quick spoolin turbos but even if it takes .25 of a second thats still lag. even if it takes .0001 of a second (which it doesn't) that is not instant. There is NO such thing as instant boost.

Now we are getting REALLY technical Turbo lag.. exist? Of course. When youre at 4000rpm and nail it in an STi, EVO or SRT4, how fast does the boost come on? Almost instantaneously. Is it .0000. No. Close to that, probably. So yes there is turbo lag of course.. isnt it really minimized a lot.. yes!

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

in drag racing, or roll racing .01 is enough to get you a win corect?
    Anyways, you probably dont realize it but it prob. takes .05 or .1 to spool even a small turbo, even at high rpms. .1 advantage should get you the jump in a roll race (ceteras perabus) and that was the only point i was trying to make. I own both a modded 12 sec gst and a lightly modded ls1.

in drag racing, or roll racing .01 is enough to get you a win corect?
    Anyways, you probably dont realize it but it prob. takes .05 or .1 to spool even a small turbo, even at high rpms. .1 advantage should get you the jump in a roll race (ceteras perabus) and that was the only point i was trying to make. I own both a modded 12 sec gst and a lightly modded ls1.

I invite any LS1 in my area with similar power to me to try and get the jump on me from a 3 beep roll-on. Id love to see it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information