Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

Camaro VS Sti

This is a discussion on Camaro VS Sti within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; The other day on my way home from work, i was just crusin and all of a sundden this guy ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New York
    Age
    37
    Posts
    12

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

    Camaro VS Sti

    The other day on my way home from work, i was just crusin and all of a sundden this guy in his Wrx sti flys by me, so my first thought was maby he had somewhere to go. Then he starts slowing down in front of me trying to antagonize me. "i wasnt really in the mood to race but once he slowed down it was on". So anyway i pull up next to him, we where going about 50mph and we honk the horn 3 times then we start, he gets about half a car length on me then we keep going and i keep gaining on him finally at about 110 i am about even with him and by 125 i was ahead of him by about half a car length. Then we slow down and we turned into the gas station and i ask him what mods he had, and he said it was stock. So then we both were talking for a little bit and said good race, and he said once he gets a couple mods well race again... so i will post our next race..

  2. #2
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    hmm thought u woulda killed him by waaayyy more than that....especially round those speeds and that the sti was stock
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

  3. #3
    Member Lawnman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Age
    51
    Posts
    397
    lookin for a ws6

    re

    Have you ever noticed when most people get beat , they say there car is all stock?

  4. #4
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnman View Post
    Have you ever noticed when most people get beat , they say there car is all stock?
    that or at least mostly stock

  5. #5
    Member Lawnman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Age
    51
    Posts
    397
    lookin for a ws6

    re

    Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    that or at least mostly stock
    True.

  6. #6
    General Mota's! stevegrizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Around Tampa , FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    378

    mid blue
    99 m6 z28

    im thinking the maro was an auto.....either that or you need to rethink what gear you are starting in at 50.....

  7. #7
    member toneloc60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    currently, a tent in Iraq
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,147

    NBM
    '00 Z28

    x2.

  8. #8
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Thats not how it should have happened. Either there is something seriously wrong with your car, or he was heavily modded.

    First off, he shouldn't have got the jump. STI's have this thing called turbo lag, and they suck on the highway in general, its a 4 cylinder. So either you were in the wrong gear, or you have an auto.

    Second, you should have kicked his ass, provided he was telling the truth. STI's put down 235-245WHP stock, LS1's put down 275WHP-290WHP (auto) or 290-310WHP (manual). So either was you would have destroyed him if he was stock.

    He probably had mods and increased boost and just claimed he was stock so he wouldn't be embarassed that he lost to a stock Camaro, ricers are retarded.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Tyler_LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canby, Oregon
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,121

    Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

    1. Details about your car would be great!

    2. I dont think he was even close to being stock.
    Do you know what year it was?
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

    12.6 at 112

    http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

  10. #10
    Member jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    186

    2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

    All modern turbo cars do have slight turbo lag some non at all. If you were an a4 then by the time you kicked down his turbo would have been already spooled.

    What we need is more info on your car and its condition.

    As far as ricers saying there car is stock but you think that he is full of it because he lost and that's what ricers do when they lose. Well I have run into Mustangs and Camaros, German cars and everything inbetween they seem to have the same excuse. So I guess it is not exclusive to just ricers.

  11. #11
    Are we aware that a stock STi runs better times than a stock SS? Hey wesman aren't you the guy who talked shit about Evos then got asked to race one and pussed?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Need_More_Bootht View Post
    Are we aware that a stock STi runs better times than a stock SS? Hey wesman aren't you the guy who talked shit about Evos then got asked to race one and pussed?
    Yea thats him. He is right about one thing though.. a stock STI shouldnt be able to hang that well with an LS1 from a 50 roll.

  13. #13
    lurking since 2001 joezee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    spring hill, fl
    Age
    46
    Posts
    28

    black
    02 z28

    sti = 3300lb with 300hp.....ss = 3500lb with 350hp......only 30 net horse difference......50 to 125 he regained the half car length, then pulled ahead by half....sounds like a bone stock sti to me.....turbo lag ?????thats funny.....once those turbos are at high rpm (like cruising at 50 waiting for the honk) there is no lag...dont underestimate evos, srts, or stis...just be ready.
    02 z28 auto...13.1s@109mph on stock tires with 80+ temp....lid,filter,corsa cat back,hpp3.

  14. #14
    General Mota's! stevegrizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Around Tampa , FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    378

    mid blue
    99 m6 z28

    There most definately is lag, it may be shorter depending on what rpm youre at but it takes time for a turbo to go from 0 psi to max boost, its not instantaneous.

  15. #15
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by joezee View Post
    sti = 3300lb with 300hp.....ss = 3500lb with 350hp......only 30 net horse difference......50 to 125 he regained the half car length, then pulled ahead by half....sounds like a bone stock sti to me.....turbo lag ?????thats funny.....once those turbos are at high rpm (like cruising at 50 waiting for the honk) there is no lag...dont underestimate evos, srts, or stis...just be ready.
    This post cannot be serious. You don't have your facts straight, not even remotely.

    First off, you have to go by power at the wheels. Not power rated at the crank. Of you went by that, there would only be a 25HP difference between an LS1 and STi, which isn't even close to reality.

    Most 6 speed LS1's put down about 300WHP. STI's only put down around 240WHP. Thats a difference of 60WHP, which is a huge amount any way you look at it.

    Second of all, the STI weighs in at 3351lbs. An LS1 T/A weighs in at 3474. Thats a negligable difference of 123lbs. Stop exaggerating the weight difference and trying to make it appear bigger than it is.

    You also obviously don't have a clue how turbos work. There is ALWAYS turbo lag, regardless of RPM or speed. If you take the car up to 50MPH in the lowest possible gear, and let off the gas to line up, you loose boost pressure immediately. Whenever you close the throttle you lose all boost that was built up. So when you hit the throttle after 3 honks, it takes a second before the boost builds up again. Its not that hard to understand.

  16. #16
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Need_More_Bootht View Post
    Are we aware that a stock STi runs better times than a stock SS? Hey wesman aren't you the guy who talked shit about Evos then got asked to race one and pussed?
    Looks like you got banned. Way to try and be a tough guy, you lose

  17. #17
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    the only reason an sti runs better times is cuz of awd. from a roll the ls1 should win. i'm with everbody else, must of been an a4. need details...

  18. #18
    2000pontiac6
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    This post cannot be serious. You don't have your facts straight, not even remotely.

    First off, you have to go by power at the wheels. Not power rated at the crank. Of you went by that, there would only be a 25HP difference between an LS1 and STi, which isn't even close to reality.

    Most 6 speed LS1's put down about 300WHP. STI's only put down around 240WHP. Thats a difference of 60WHP, which is a huge amount any way you look at it.

    Second of all, the STI weighs in at 3351lbs. An LS1 T/A weighs in at 3474. Thats a negligable difference of 123lbs. Stop exaggerating the weight difference and trying to make it appear bigger than it is.

    You also obviously don't have a clue how turbos work. There is ALWAYS turbo lag, regardless of RPM or speed. If you take the car up to 50MPH in the lowest possible gear, and let off the gas to line up, you loose boost pressure immediately. Whenever you close the throttle you lose all boost that was built up. So when you hit the throttle after 3 honks, it takes a second before the boost builds up again. Its not that hard to understand.
    Where did u find those STI numbers? STIs has 300 hp at the crank http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/sub...812/specs.html Unless you were thinking of the WRX which only has 230 at the crank or are ur numbers are at the wheels of an STI?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000pontiac6 View Post
    Where did u find those STI numbers? STIs has 300 hp at the crank http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/sub...812/specs.html Unless you were thinking of the WRX which only has 230 at the crank or are ur numbers are at the wheels of an STI?
    No he's right. STi's make roughly around 240awhp. Multiply that by around 22-23% drivetrain loss and wallah, you get 300hp at the crank.

    The normal WRX really sucks. They make around 170awhp stock. Theyre a little lighter than STis (250lbs) or so, but still overall very slow, hard to make fast, and theyre incredibly unreliable with even stock power. The transmissions and rears are made of glass. Complete junk IMO. The STi has a very strong drivetrain though, as does the 05-06 EVOs.

  20. #20
    lurking since 2001 joezee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    spring hill, fl
    Age
    46
    Posts
    28

    black
    02 z28

    wesman , ill try to be civil.......you obviously never drove a turbo car...nor raced an sti, evo or even an srt...clutch and right foot keep turbo spinning...boost IS instant....EVERY sti and srt i've raced, on the street AND at the track, jumped out almost a car ...even at highway speeds....my friends 10 year old stock 210hp eclipse jumps half a car at highway speeds ...a guy who works for me has few year old mazda speed 6, bone stock, even he can hang for a little while....MY point is , chill out...stis run mid 13s @ 100-105 in ALL tests i've read,...like it or not....metsatvz400 beat the sti even after the sti got the jump. sounds right to me........DONT GET PERSONAL AGAIN ....please check your facts about the weights,..from MORE than one source....every hundred pounds is worth 10 hp.....lets see, my 02 z28 ran 13.5s @ 104-5 bone stock.....cant we all get along....nah no fun that way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro - Classic Camaro With A Big-Inch Punch
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM
  2. 1999 trans am, 1995 z28 camaro, 1979 z28 camaro for sell!!!!
    By poneykiller2k4 in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 06:12 PM
  3. FS 97-02 Camaro Taillights/Ebony TTop shades/Camaro 35th model car
    By nhra-trans-am in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •