Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Called out by a turbo TA

This is a discussion on Called out by a turbo TA within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by SnakeEatr thats what I mean 408, NOS is for pussies ! Like steroids for athletes! ^he did...but ...

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEatr View Post
    thats what I mean 408, NOS is for pussies! Like steroids for athletes!
    ^he did...but he hasnt posted since.

my car should be ready at around the end of the summer...just in time for the Ocean City MD fall show.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

Quote Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post
    ^he did...but he hasnt posted since.

my car should be ready at around the end of the summer...just in time for the Ocean City MD fall show.
    Awesome, I finally have mine back after breaking the gears, getting new ones and swapping the trans.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by nesikachad View Post
    Uh, scooter, lets set the record straight.

NHRA Funny cars do NOT use Nitrous Oxide. They use Nitromethane and methanol.

NHRA Pro Classes (Pro Stock, Pro Stock Truck, Pro Stock Bike) do not use Nitromethane. These are normally aspirated engines running on carbs and gasoline. They have CID limits and weight limits. Vehicles must gauge to a template as well if I remember correctly.

Sportsman classes in NHRA do use Nitrous oxide.

IHRA is a different story. This is where you see "garden hose" nitrous systems, normally aspirated engines running on Nitro Meth and all sorts of other sick and demented ways of shoving horsepower down a butterfly's throat.

Nitromethane is different from Nitrous oxide. It is an accelerant where's nitrous is an oxidizer and "density intensifier" (my little fancy term).

Chemistry and physics are a bit different between the two.

What they do share in common is that they both deliver chemical oxygen to the combustion chamber.

N02 is 33% by volume
    Nitrometh is about 56% by volume

If you ever watch top fuel, you'll notice that the car is started on one fuel and then switched to another. Nitro meth is so violent that if you attempt to start the vehicle with it, it'll more than likely "sneeze" the blower.

You start a nitro engine on alky, then gradually introduce the good stuff before making a pass. You'll see this on TV because the exhaust tone will become very distinctive when the fuel system makes the transition.

Not trying to be a dick, just being "edumacational"
    nitro is also short for nitroglycerine which is a high explosive, just being anal here
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

God dammit, did this race happen yet..

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    sounds like its going to be a good race, make sure u've got it on video.
    btw i doubt that guy is pushing that much power, a 10 bolt!? give me a break... no one in their right mind would keep a STOCK 10 bolt on a car built to push that kinda power, that would be one of the first things to go.

sorry i always jump on your threads
    10 bolt is fine if you are on the street... I made 595RWHP (M6) without proper tuning (fatter than 9.9:1) at 10psi, and I run 16psi on the street with an AFR of 10.6-10.7:1 on pump gas and meth, so it HAS to be over 700rwhp. I have had somewhere around 15-20 races on the street and TONS and TONS of WOT pulls and my 10-bolt is still quiet.

I have a built/braked th400 just waiting for a beefy rear-end to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    Nah it's cool. We Pmed each other today and he does seem cool. He admitted to inflating his numbers to alot of people and from what he told me, he makes 525 to the tires.
    A built 40X" motor can make that much WITHOUT the boost, you can't honestly say that you believe him do you?

A built 40X" motor can make that much WITHOUT the boost, you can't honestly say that you believe him do you?
    Nope, which is why I'm not too keen on racing him until I've got the bottle hooked up. Once he learned that I was spraying he PMed me saying that he wanted car lengths.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

waaa waaa waaaa i want 8 car lengths and the break...waa waa waaa. fuckin babies!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Well I've had nitrous on several cars, including a 99Z, but NOTHING pulls from the middle to the top like this turbo. He won't be able to get it moving off the line at all on the street. He will have to launch dead (NO boost) or spin like mad. Obviously your best shot regardless is from a dig. Running him from any kind of roll at all is crazy; especially if you have traded that M6 for a th400. I can go from strong vacuum to 16psi in about a second without brake boosting from a roll.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

i got my money on n2o here...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Well I've had nitrous on several cars, including a 99Z, but NOTHING pulls from the middle to the top like this turbo. He won't be able to get it moving off the line at all on the street. He will have to launch dead (NO boost) or spin like mad. Obviously your best shot regardless is from a dig. Running him from any kind of roll at all is crazy; especially if you have traded that M6 for a th400. I can go from strong vacuum to 16psi in about a second without brake boosting from a roll.
    I can understand that. A couple friends of mine have turbos on their cars. The thing I have going for me is the torque that I'm going to pick up from the 200-300 shot. There could be alot of differences between the way your car is stup and the way his is done. I don't know what his true numbers are other than that he says he has dyno graphs that show 525. Whetehr or not those are valid ...who knows.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

a instant 300 shot of giggle gas in the midrange rpm will be wicked.
    ill put my money on that over a spooling turbo.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    a instant 300 shot of giggle gas in the midrange rpm will be wicked.
    ill put my money on that over a spooling turbo.

Riiiiiggghhhhhhhhhhtttttt a 300 shot in first gear on the street would get you outrun by a WAYYY slower car. Most people can't even do that at the track.

Riiiiiggghhhhhhhhhhtttttt a 300 shot in first gear on the street would get you outrun by a WAYYY slower car. Most people can't even do that at the track.
    Not spraying in 1st gear. Hit the shot when I get to 2nd and let the progressive controller work it's magic. I might end up switching to a dual stage. I don't bench race and results vary car to car. The guy who tunes my car has a very similar 408, same cam, similar heads, same nitrous system, same transmission. Ran 10.60s on motor and with the spray (250 shot) ran a 9.41 on pump gas, MT ET streets and putting the car up on the rear tires.

I dunno what the results are going to be, for a turbo 408 I would hope that he has his shit together. On the other hand I know that my car isn't going to be some half assed jimmy jack rigged POS.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Sounds like it's going to come down to traction to me. If this guy is running an auto, he can trasbrake and spool it up to leave the line just as hard as you will on the spray. I think that if it's a good build, you don't stand much of a chance. I'm building a 331 to run 700rwhp on pump gas and over 1000 on race gas. My turbo is small and about 300 hp less capable of doing what I could do with 77 extra cubic inches.

For your edification, there's a guy on turbo mustangs running in the 8.7s with a 327 cubic inch SBF and a th400 tranny. He's running the same turbo I am, and it is a much smaller turbo than I'd even consider on a 408, even for the street.

Anyway, on the street, you're not going to hook up the 1300+ hp his motor may be capable of. If you stick the launch and he doesn't, no amount of boost is likely to save him.

Good luck,

Chris

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

BTW, I think that the 525 rwhp number is BS. That's a seriously sorry number for a turbo 408, and it doesn't make any sense that he's have dumped the money into the internals to make that little power.

He's got a stock 6 speed trans with a stock rear. I dunno the specifics of his motor but if he was going to do something that serious along the lines of 1300 capable or shoot for 8s in the 1/4 I'd think the drivetrain would be a priority. I do know it's a Merkel 408 with a "baby turbo" according to the owner and that the numbers have been ground off of the turbo. He says he doesn't know what turbo is even on the car which sounds like another load of BS. I figure there's no shame in losing this race considering most of the turbo 408s I've seen run their asses off. He can tell me 525 all day long and I still won't believe him.
    Last edited by cam02ss; 07-22-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Silver

He's got a stock 6 speed trans with a stock rear. I dunno the specifics of his motor but if he was going to do something that serious along the lines of 1300 capable or shoot for 8s in the 1/4 I'd think the drivetrain would be a priority. I do know it's a Merkel 408 with a "baby turbo" according to the owner and that the numbers have been ground off of the turbo. He says he doesn't know what turbo is even on the car which sounds like another load of BS. I figure there's no shame in losing this race considering most of the turbo 408s I've seen run their asses off. He can tell me 525 all day long and I still won't believe him.
    yeah i would have to say i think you are going to win... but if i were you i wouldnt be doing the whole betting money on it thing

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    yeah i would have to say i think you are going to win... but if i were you i wouldnt be doing the whole betting money on it thing
    We're not running for money. Just sucks having one car setup for the digs and 1/4 and the other one better off going from a roll on the highway.

Silver

We're not running for money. Just sucks having one car setup for the digs and 1/4 and the other one better off going from a roll on the highway.
    i know what you mean.. i have a friend that would be a good race... but he is a turbo civic, and hes not fast at all from a start... but he would eat me on the highway... so we dont know how to have a showdown

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    i know what you mean.. i have a friend that would be a good race... but he is a turbo civic, and hes not fast at all from a start... but he would eat me on the highway... so we dont know how to have a showdown

Do it from a dig twice, then do it from a roll twice. Hell, do it a third time and fourth! Its just for sh*ts and giggles anyway.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information