Caddy XLR Vs 03 Cobra Kill....

I have been trying to lay low. There have been a rash of street racing accidents and cops pulling guys over for exhaust/tint tickets here in the local area.

but today my ego got the better of me. I was cruising home from work and MMOB when I looked in my rearview mirror and I see a set of daytime running lights coming up pretty quick. I figured it was a C5/C6 Vette (because of the ride height).

Nope it was a Caddy (not sure if it was the faster one but it had a mesh grill), younger guy was driving he pulls up beside me and begins to pace me at about 65. We do this for about a 1/2 mile, I figured this a good time to crack open the bottle. I look over and notice he's looking at me. He stabs the throttle a couple times and I offer a thumbs up and then down shift into third.

before I could hit the horn to count it off, he mashs it to the wood and get about a car on me, I respond with a healthy ear full of ported blower on nitrous whine and instantly pull two cars, then open my lead to 5 and kill it at 120. He gave me the holy shit thumbs up and I return the compliment. We went our seperate ways. nice car, cool driver.

Tom

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

nice kill man. what other mods do you have. how much hp do you have in that thing

NBM
    98 trans am

what kind of car do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    what kind of car do you have?

03 cobra.

ported blower, x pipe upper and lower pullies, catback and a few other small things

car makes 522/535 off the bottle and 587/645 on a 50 wet shot...

Tom

NBM
    98 trans am

whats the difference between a wet and dry shot of nitrous?

about 30HP....

just kidding, they make both kits they do the same thing. A wet shot uses a fuel jet and a Nitrous jet. A dry shot injects just nitrous and uses the existing fuel system to add the needed fuel.

Wet shots are safer and make more power on most cars. N2O works well on 03 cobras because the eaton blowers make a lot of heat, which robs power. So i use it more for cooling than power, but the added power is nice too...

Tom

White
    2001 Camaro SS

You probably didn't need the nitrous with those mods.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cmaross01 View Post
    You probably didn't need the nitrous with those mods.
    But its always nice to put people in there place

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

The Mesh grill would be a supercharged XLR-V right? 440hp or so, 13.0 1/4 mile? Nice kill. Glad the guy actually drives it like it should be.

What area are you in w/ the crack-down?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

nice kill, that would have been a nice one to have on video

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Great kill! I seriously doubt someone driving a Caddy woulda known what a '03 Cobra looks like. He probably thought you were a GT.

Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cartert75 View Post

before I could hit the horn to count it off, he mashs it to the wood and get about a car on me, I respond with a healthy ear full of ported blower on nitrous whine and instantly pull two cars, then open my lead to 5 and kill it at 120. He gave me the holy shit thumbs up and I return the compliment.
    I wish I could make that sound and have that response.
    One day...

NBM
    98 trans am

one day man...one day....me too...haha oh yea michigan rocks

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by cartert75 View Post
    03 cobra.

ported blower, x pipe upper and lower pullies, catback and a few other small things

car makes 522/535 off the bottle and 587/645 on a 50 wet shot...

Tom
    What size jet are you using. You can't go by the size shot on 03/04's. I would think if it was at least a .047 jet your torque would be closer to 700. Maybe the extra fuel is pulling the torque back a little. I'm sure it's safer. I put a dry kit on a buddies 03 and I couldn't believe the power that thing got. His sister is married to Johnny Lightning's brother and he gets these "special" burns. He made about the most power I've seen on the stock, unported Eaton, 510 rwhp SAE and 508 rwt. When we finally got the bugs worked out it made 580 rwhp but his torque was 714 with a .047 jet.

The first time we put it on the dyno I told him we needed to gap his plugs to .023 but he didn't believe me and he was afraid it would hurt his power without the spray. When we hit it on the dyno it sputtered really bad. We gave up after three pulls. On the way home his car started knocking. I thought "Oh crap". I put a WOT switch on it so it was spraying at 2500 rpm when he started his pull. Just after it started knocking I read that you shouldn't hit the nitrous below 3-3.5k rpm. I just knew I hurt that motor. I drove his car home and it took me a day to find it but his alternator pulley was coming loose. Boy, was I relieved. I put a window switch on it to spray at 3500 rpm and regapped his plugs. It made the 510 rwhp on the 023 gap. He was happy. He has a 3.73 in a solid axle. That car is a lot lighter than an IRS car like mine and will break the tires loose a lot easier. At 100 mph in fourth that car will lay down black stripes as long as you can hold it. I just put a KB on it. He plans on spraying it at 20 psi. He just can't get enough. I read all this crap about 03's blowing but nobody beats on one more than my buddy and sticking as much boost in it as the belt will grip. I've watched him hot lap 20 passes at Rockingham. Watching him made me feel a lot better about how I beat on mine. It's all in the tune/tuner.
    Last edited by Pumped03; 09-15-2006 at 08:37 AM.

Thread Information